Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Why aren't there more of those plastic lane seperators to prevent jerkhole commuters who drive all the way I'm a very empty lane and try to do a last minute lane change pissing off everyone and just slowing down traffic for everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

EVIR Gibson posted:

Why aren't there more of those plastic lane seperators to prevent jerkhole commuters who drive all the way I'm a very empty lane and try to do a last minute lane change pissing off everyone and just slowing down traffic for everyone

Because they'd just merge in at the last minute at the end of the separator. You're only moving the problem downstream, not solving it. The only ways to keep people from cutting like that are:

1) Nobody lets them in
2) Cops give them tickets, which can't really be done since they're not breaking a law
3) Get rid of the congestion's root cause
4) Rocket launchers

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
When I was in Germany, people seemed really good about following rules and being courteous on the road. I'm not sure how they do it over there.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Mandalay posted:

When I was in Germany, people seemed really good about following rules and being courteous on the road. I'm not sure how they do it over there.

Excellent driver's education, expensive Führerscheine, and heavy fines for violation. There's a lot you'll get ticketed for in Germany than in the US: tailgating, traveling in the left lane, using fog lights when it's not foggy...

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cichlidae posted:

Excellent driver's education, expensive Führerscheine, and heavy fines for violation. There's a lot you'll get ticketed for in Germany than in the US: tailgating, traveling in the left lane, using fog lights when it's not foggy...

Also if you break down on the road you get fined for not properly maintaining your car

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Cichlidae posted:

4) Rocket launchers
The optimal solution to traffic problems was proposed almost 25 years ago by Dave Barry.

quote:

I think it's getting worse. I'm talking about this habit people have of driving on highways in the left, or "passing", lane despite the fact that they aren't passing anybody. You used to see this mainly in a few abnormal areas, particularly Miami, where it is customary for everyone to drive according to laws of his or her country of origin. But now you see it everywhere: drivers who are not passing, who have clearly never passed anybody in their entire lives, squatting in the left lane, clogging up the transportation arteries of our very nation.

What I do, when I come up behind these people, is the same thing you do, namely pass them on the right and glare at them. Unfortunately this tactic doesn't seem to be working. So I'm proposing that we go on to the next logical step: nuclear weapons. Specifically I'm thinking of atomic land torpedoes, which would be mounted on the front bumpers of cars operated by drivers who have demonstrated that they have the maturity and judgment necessary to handle tactical nuclear weapons in a traffic environment. I would be one of these driveres.

Here's how I would handle a standard left-lane blockage problem: I would get behind the problem driver and flash my lights. If that failed, I'd honk my horn until the driver looked in his rearview mirror and saw me making helpful suggestive hand motions indicating that he is in the passing lane, and if he wants to drive at 55, he should do it in a more appropriate place, such as the waiting room of a dental office. If that failed, I'd sound the warning siren which would go, and I quote, "WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP". Only if all these measures failed would I proceed to the final step, total vaporization of the car (unless of course it had one of those BABY ON BOARD signs).
edit: :stare: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=DPW5uEm-5lI

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Apr 13, 2012

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mandalay posted:

Getting a license is a huge pain in the rear end and costs like thousands of dollars. Fear rules the roads.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
My wife and I just came back from our honeymoon in North America. We were due to drive from Toronto up to Quebec City and back for a little road trip (I don't drive so it was all on her). After seeing how people drive over there, she was all nervous, and bailed on the plan and we stayed in Toronto all week instead.

It was the same when we got to New York the week after. We couldn't believe how mental everything was. People overtaking in any lane they wanted. No hierachy of slower lanes leading up to faster lanes for overtaking. People doing all sorts of poo poo at the wheel that if anybody did in Europe they'd get hosed for and massively glared at by all and sundry. Turn right on red scared the crap out of us, as pedestrians.

It was definitely an experience...

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

thehustler posted:

My wife and I just came back from our honeymoon in North America. We were due to drive from Toronto up to Quebec City and back for a little road trip (I don't drive so it was all on her). After seeing how people drive over there, she was all nervous, and bailed on the plan and we stayed in Toronto all week instead.

It was the same when we got to New York the week after. We couldn't believe how mental everything was. People overtaking in any lane they wanted. No hierachy of slower lanes leading up to faster lanes for overtaking. People doing all sorts of poo poo at the wheel that if anybody did in Europe they'd get hosed for and massively glared at by all and sundry. Turn right on red scared the crap out of us, as pedestrians.

You don't mention which country you're from, but I assume it's not in southern or eastern Europe. People there drive way crazier than Americans. Try Istanbul or Athens, for example. But the bright side is, you get used to it! You'll be just as bad yourself after a few weeks in that environment.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

thehustler posted:

To be fair, New York and Toronto aren't exactly representative examples of North American driving. Once you get out in the countryside, things are considerably calmer, and the drivers aren't as aggressive. They're just as stupid, though.

I've been spending 10 hours a day doing VISSIM these past three weeks, and it looks like that's not ending anytime soon: the High Speed Rail guys want me to simulate every grade crossing along the New Haven - Springfield line so they can run trains through at 110 mph.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Sorry, we're from the UK.

Edit: Also New Jersey we were in as well, on the highways, out in the sticks.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

You don't mention which country you're from, but I assume it's not in southern or eastern Europe. People there drive way crazier than Americans. Try Istanbul or Athens, for example. But the bright side is, you get used to it! You'll be just as bad yourself after a few weeks in that environment.

This is also a fair point. They're mental there. Maybe we're just good with rules. We like rules.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Apr 13, 2012

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

EVIR Gibson posted:

Traffic flows best if all lanes are used all the way to the merging point. Merging early slows down traffic for everyone.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin

Cichlidae posted:

To be fair, New York and Toronto aren't exactly representative examples of North American driving. Once you get out in the countryside, things are considerably calmer, and the drivers aren't as aggressive. They're just as stupid, though.

I've been spending 10 hours a day doing VISSIM these past three weeks, and it looks like that's not ending anytime soon: the High Speed Rail guys want me to simulate every grade crossing along the New Haven - Springfield line so they can run trains through at 110 mph.

Best drivers I've ever mingled with are in Chicago - fast, aggressive, cognizant. The people in Dallas were pretty spot on, too. I'd swap Chicago's drivers for KC's any day.

They've been working their asses off around here the last 10 years to remove all grade crossings and make them over/unders.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

thehustler posted:

It's different elsewhere; I drove ms.melt and I from San Francisco to Sacramento, then up rt50 to Lake Tahoe. The freeway was really easy-going, despite at one point noticing it was 12 lanes.

Central SF was strange at first - hills and an automatic... where's the f*cking handbrake?!

Cichlidae posted:

Yeah, I think we get that here on a localised basis in the UK too. The M1 has good drivers, the M6 is a hellzone of Range Rover drivers.

meltie fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 13, 2012

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Another crane fell over at the Moses Wheeler Bridge construction site. Most sites are saying injuries unknown, but a local news guy who has a scanner says EMTs reported the operator was "shaken, but not injured" and only taken to the hospital to be checked out.
http://stratford.patch.com/articles/crane-accident-reported-behind-stop-shop

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

You don't mention which country you're from, but I assume it's not in southern or eastern Europe. People there drive way crazier than Americans.
I'm Dutch, and while I think people here are quite safety-conscious there is the tendency to drive REALLY CLOSE TOGETHER. The reason for that is probably the relative sparsity of lanes and the fact that we're used to driving in heavy traffic jams. Having comparably tiny cars helps too, of course.

I recently drove an American colleague to his hotel, from a town nearby. Going 80 on a two-lane motorway (well, two lanes going every way, so 4 in total) during a thunderstorm, overtaking trucks that ALWAYS block the right lane was...an experience for him. (*)

(*) He didn't die

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

meltie posted:

the M6 is a hellzone of Range Rover drivers.

Cheshire :argh:

DogGunn
Feb 2, 2009

EVIR Gibson posted:

Which is how you're meant to merge. Use the whole lane and take it in turns. More efficient use of roadspace. Zip merging.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

DogGunn posted:

Which is how you're meant to merge. Use the whole lane and take it in turns. More efficient use of roadspace. Zip merging.

The tricky part is when it's an exit-only lane, not a merge. Queues in the second lane are disruptive to through traffic. If there's a third lane, some rear end in a top hat will inevitably block that, too. It's a lose-lose.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

DogGunn posted:

Oh, you mean it's not "oh my god the right lane ends 7 miles up the road, better go camp in the left lane where it's safe and warm" ?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

GWBBQ posted:

Another crane fell over at the Moses Wheeler Bridge construction site. Most sites are saying injuries unknown, but a local news guy who has a scanner says EMTs reported the operator was "shaken, but not injured" and only taken to the hospital to be checked out.
http://stratford.patch.com/articles/crane-accident-reported-behind-stop-shop

Some fun news about that project: Due to the Contractor's problems, the DOT has put the project on hold. The two cranes toppling are just the latest problem.

Months ago, the Contractor made a huge gently caress-up: while preparing to pour a concrete column, they had placed the rebar cage upright, guyed it, and then built the wooden formwork around it. For reference, formwork is 70% of the cost of concrete construction. Well, some genius decided to cut the guys before the concrete was poured. The rebar cage toppled, crushing all the formwork. That's an "oh, gently caress!" moment for sure.

HotCarl
Aug 20, 2002
FUCK YOU,
GOT MINE
How feasible is it for the US to adopt "no speed limit" for interstates outside of the cities?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

HotCarl posted:

How feasible is it for the US to adopt "no speed limit" for interstates outside of the cities?

Feasible? No problem. Legally defensible? No way. They'd get sued for every single accident, regardless of whether speed was at fault.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Cichlidae posted:

Feasible? No problem. Legally defensible? No way. They'd get sued for every single accident, regardless of whether speed was at fault.

Well, the German state does it somehow..

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Mandalay posted:

German law != American law.

Also, I've had Germans tell me that they love driving fast cars quickly like Americans love guns. If Americans had the same opinion, we'd enact the necessary laws to make it happen.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Mandalay posted:

Perhaps Germany has sovereign immunity. I know we've waived ours in Connecticut, because we get sued for every little thing. The most recent occurrence was when a tree fell on someone's car on the Merritt Parkway; we inspect the trees regularly, but it had rotted in the meantime and fell over.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Mandalay posted:

They also have extremely strict enforcement of traffic laws. I feel like a lot of Americans would freak out if they suddenly got hit with an avalanche of tickets for the kind of stupid poo poo they get away with all the time.

It's not just the "Drive as fast as you feel comfortable going, while getting out of the left lane if someone is going faster than you" fantasy that a lot of people seem to have.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Crackpipe posted:

They also have extremely strict enforcement of traffic laws. I feel like a lot of Americans would freak out if they suddenly got hit with an avalanche of tickets for the kind of stupid poo poo they get away with all the time.
As a professional driver, I say gently caress 'em. 1 in 10 drivers around where I am can't even bother to fix burnt out headlights/taillights, let alone drive properly.

Idiot driver: Oh no, one of my headlights is out. I'll just drive around at night using my hi-beams in an urban area. :downs:

Me, driving a crush-loaded 40ft transit bus in front of the guy: :stare:

Varance fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 21, 2012

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Varance posted:

As a professional driver, I say gently caress 'em. 1 in 10 drivers around where I am can't even bother to fix burnt out headlights/taillights, let alone drive properly.

Idiot driver: Oh no, one of my headlights is out. I'll just drive around at night using my hi-beams in an urban area. :downs:

Me, driving a crush-loaded 40ft transit bus in front of the guy: :stare:

Could always be worse! A ton of people around here have cheapo "HID kits" that are basically blue or pink high-beams they keep on ALL THE TIME. I really wish those guys would get ticketed; it's startling to come over a hill and get blinded with blue light.

One of my coworkers is among the guilty, and I've tried to explain to him why it's a bad idea: the beam reflectors aren't configured for that type of bulb, blue lights are illegal, HIDs don't actually help you see better at night because they don't provide good illumination near the vehicle, they work havoc on approaching drivers' night vision, all that good stuff.

"But dude, they look awesome!"

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

All the MA State Troopers have super bright LEDs on their flashing lights now, and it's been suggested that it had actually led to more crashes because you really can't see poo poo especially if there is an officer standing there or not. They're too bright and I have to agree, I can't see anything near the vehicle with them on as I'm driving towards them.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Cichlidae posted:

Could always be worse! A ton of people around here have cheapo "HID kits" that are basically blue or pink high-beams they keep on ALL THE TIME. I really wish those guys would get ticketed; it's startling to come over a hill and get blinded with blue light.

Were you cut loose like a deuce, another runner in the night?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Cichlidae posted:

One of my coworkers is among the guilty, and I've tried to explain to him why it's a bad idea: the beam reflectors aren't configured for that type of bulb, blue lights are illegal, HIDs don't actually help you see better at night because they don't provide good illumination near the vehicle, they work havoc on approaching drivers' night vision, all that good stuff.

"But dude, they look awesome!"

Those bulbs are generally made by just blue-tinting regular bulbs, which of course means they're actually less bright overall!

What's worse, shorter wavelengths of light (blue, purple) scatter far more easily - hence the sky is blue. This applies in the lens and vitreous humor in the human eye, too, so more blue = more unavoidable glare and haze for both the user and oncoming drivers (one night look carefully at a neon "Open" sign at a local business - you'll notice the red neon is fairly sharp, while the blue neon has an obvious halo/glare). Throw rain/snow/fog into the mix and you're really loving over yourself and everyone else on the road...

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

kapinga posted:

German law != American law.

Montana used to have "reasonable and prudent" as the maximum daytime speed up to 1999. This was judged to be in conflict with the Montana constitution since it was so vague.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Were you cut loose like a deuce, another runner in the night?

My god, have song references infiltrated all aspects of our society?

Choadmaster posted:

What's worse, shorter wavelengths of light (blue, purple) scatter far more easily - hence the sky is blue. This applies in the lens and vitreous humor in the human eye, too, so more blue = more unavoidable glare and haze for both the user and oncoming drivers (one night look carefully at a neon "Open" sign at a local business - you'll notice the red neon is fairly sharp, while the blue neon has an obvious halo/glare). Throw rain/snow/fog into the mix and you're really loving over yourself and everyone else on the road...

I didn't even mention all the people I see with aftermarket blue fog lights. It used to get a chuckle out of me, but by now it's just sad.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Montana used to have "reasonable and prudent" as the maximum daytime speed up to 1999. This was judged to be in conflict with the Montana constitution since it was so vague.
Yes, but as far as I know no one sued MT over an accident.

That guy who sued over what was a $50 ticket (as I recall) is an rear end in a top hat who ruined it for everyone.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin

Choadmaster posted:

Combine this with the portion of the public with an astigmatism that causes lights to halo at night and especially while raining.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Cichlidae posted:

Perhaps Germany has sovereign immunity. I know we've waived ours in Connecticut, because we get sued for every little thing. The most recent occurrence was when a tree fell on someone's car on the Merritt Parkway; we inspect the trees regularly, but it had rotted in the meantime and fell over.
Before this year, tree maintenance on the Parkway in Fairfield County was minimal and borderline negligent. The one that caused the lawsuit wasn't an isolated incident, I saw trees down blocking lanes every time a storm with more than a light breeze came in and I personally saw three cars damaged by falling or fallen trees last year in addition to all the lane closures due to trees that fortunately didn't come down during rush hour.

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

When they made the limit "reasonable and prudent," fatalities were halved. When they went back to numerical limits, fatalities doubled.

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010
Pretty good article in the Courant about one of the spans of the new Q bridge that will be opening soon: http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-green-new-haven-q-bridge-20120421,0,6916987.column

I haven't been following the thread so I'm unsure if this is one of your projects or even your district.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

GWBBQ posted:

When they made the limit "reasonable and prudent," fatalities were halved. When they went back to numerical limits, fatalities doubled.
And it was ruined by dumbasses whose personal definition of "reasonable and prudent" was inflated.

The best definition I read was from the highway patrol and went something like "If we see Mario Andretti doing 200 per in a Ferarri F50, we won't pull him over. But Joe Blow in a rusted-out '73 Chevy pickup doing 80 is going to get a ticket." Basically same rules as the Autobahn. But Americans are stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Cichlidae posted:

My god, have song references infiltrated all aspects of our society?

I didn't even mention all the people I see with aftermarket blue fog lights. It used to get a chuckle out of me, but by now it's just sad.

He even got the lyrics wrong.

When I bought my car that has (legitimate) super bright headlights believe me I reveled in finally being That rear end in a top hat. Particularly because I've usually driven smaller cars that are low enough to the ground that SUV/Truck headlights are shining directly into my eyes.

Mine are also cool and adaptive :science: