Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hmm the GX1 looks like a winner, it has pretty drat good high-ISO performance despite the m4/3 sensor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...

spankmeister posted:

Hmm the GX1 looks like a winner, it has pretty drat good high-ISO performance despite the m4/3 sensor.

Tests show it gets edged out a bit by the OM-D, but other than that it has no competition in the m4/3 field, it's a much better sensor than the last generation Olympus sensor that the e-P3 series is using. I'd expect a new e-P series camera later this summer with the new sensor from the OM-D, after the hysteria dies down and the OM-D is more readily available.

I really like my GX1- I've only had it a few weeks, but I'm very impressed with it.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

LiquidRain posted:

The NEX-3 and NEX-5 (or at least the 5) series both have support for adding on an EVF, while the 7 has a good EVF built-in.

Only the NEX-5N supports the EVF. NEX-3, NEX-C3 and NEX-5 don't.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I was just thinking that what would be sweet for the NEX system would be an image stabilized 135mm f/2.8 lens. Yeeeeeeah.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Just ordered a Sigma 30mm f2.8 for my NEX - after seeing various comparison shots I am really excited to try it. If anyone is looking for one at 199.99, I think Amazon has one or two new at that price left, and then like 14 around 220 bucks from another retailer.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

It sounds interesting. I dunno how much I want or need a wide/normal prime lens though. Definitely not in my budget at the moment though. I've been enjoying the heck out of my 50mm Rokkor as my day to day lens.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
Just bought a Nex-3C off eBay, body only, ridiculous price: 239 € + shipping. Includes 2 batteries, mini tripod, sleeve and memory card. Seller seems legit. If anybody is interested the object id is 110840674954.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

HPL posted:

With m43, you're going to have a hard time finding lenses in the wide to standard range unless you want to delve into c-mount lenses since even a 28mm is telephoto.

m4/3 doesn't alter the optical formula of the lens! :argh: :spergin:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Pompous Rhombus posted:

m4/3 doesn't alter the optical formula of the lens! :argh: :spergin:

Actually most 28mm lenses are telephoto lenses, reverse telephotos. Otherwise they would never clear the SLR mirror. However, I do prefer the terms long/short lens to avoid this conversation.

:spergin:

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

Paul MaudDib posted:

Actually most 28mm lenses are telephoto lenses, reverse telephotos. Otherwise they would never clear the SLR mirror. However, I do prefer the terms long/short lens to avoid this conversation.

:spergin:

The term is actually retrofocal.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Does anyone know the if the OM-D is similar size or bigger than a NEX 5?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
http://camerasize.com/compare/#289,34

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Well holy crap, this is a pretty cool site to have on hand

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

DJExile posted:

Well holy crap, this is a pretty cool site to have on hand

Comparing the D4 to the 5N is pretty lollerific.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

HPL posted:

Or:

http://camerasize.com/compare/#190,153

The Q is _really_ small. Too bad the sensor is weenie.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

HPL posted:

I wish it had old cameras so we could do a Mamiya RZ67 vs anything.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force
edit- ignore me!

moonduck fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 13, 2012

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.
For some reason the OM-D almost looks smaller than the Pen:

http://camerasize.com/compare/#155,289

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
Another look at the X-Pro 1, in German. via Mirrorless Rumors.

Mirrorless Rumors said the Germans said posted:

1) The X PRO 1 camera delivers superb dynamic range and resolution up to ISO 1600. There is almost no lost of quality on that level! From 3.200 ISO the image quality decreases gradually (very harmonic). This is definitely one of the best cameras ever tested by the German team

This pretty much echoes what I've found regarding the ISO. I have no hesitation shooting ISO 1600 and ISO 3200 is barely any noisier.

They also reviewed the 3 available lenses saying the 60mm macro is "flawless" and the only flaw in the 35mm is a bit of corner softness wide open. (which is pretty much standard on a fast lens in my experience) The 18mm really only suffers in comparison to the other two lenses. I've found it to be plenty sharp for my usage.

Now if that 60 macro were only available in the US... I will be in Japan next week and if the local price and exchange rate match up, I may nab one there. The Amazon Japan price comes out to about $50 less than the US retail price. I'll have to see if the big camera shops match that price though.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's interesting to me that no-one here is discussing the Nikon 1.

I mean I took one passing glance at them and thought: "meh".

I'm guessing lots of people share that sentiment.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Apr 14, 2012

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

spankmeister posted:

I'm guessing lot's of people share that sentiment.

That was pretty much my thought process too. 'Meh' seems to sum it up.

Even dpreview thinks the same:

quote:

The end result of this laudable design philosophy is a pair of rather curious cameras which have a lot to offer (we're hugely impressed by their phase-detection AF performance, and how many other cameras can you think of that allow 60 fps RAW+JPEG capture?) but which in our opinion, fail to wholly address the needs of any class of camera buyer. Obviously, enthusiasts will be disappointed by Nikon's focus on beginners, and that's fine - the 1 System really isn't designed for them. What worries us is that even genuine novices - those happy with point and shoot operation but who want a step up in terms of image quality and AF performance from their compact cameras - will find themselves poorly served by certain facets of the J1 and V1's design and performance.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

You guys see the TechRadar review of the E-M5?

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/digital-slrs-hybrids/olympus-om-d-1075717/review/page:5#articleContent

Something seems fishy here, I don't doubt that the sensor is quite a bit better than the E-P3 but this is a little over the top. Wonder what raw converter they used.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...

spankmeister posted:

Nikon made the same mistake I hope Canon avoids making- they came to a fairly well-established party and brought less than the other attendees and somehow thought name alone (and compatibility with their legacy lenses) would be enough. They could have brought a real game-changer and totally remade the mirrorless world to their liking, but they phoned it in with an even tinier sensor and industrial design that is just flat out BORING. Why bother? The V1 could have been cool, imagine it with the sensor from any of their consumer DSLR models and suddenly it becomes a cool, if ugly thing. The d7000 sensor in that body for less than $1000 would have been awesome, which is why Sony was genius to drop it into the 5n.

Whoever steps up first with a (consumer-priced, sub $2k) FF mirrorless is going to claim all the money on the table- my bet is it will be Sony, but I'm willing and wanting to be surprised (looks longingly at Canon).

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Even if Sony is the first to field that their E mount glass is paltry minus the Zeiss. Fuji was smart putting out 3 solid lenses with their X Pro 1 and the X100 being 35mm equivalent.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

HeyEng posted:

Even if Sony is the first to field that their E mount glass is paltry minus the Zeiss. Fuji was smart putting out 3 solid lenses with their X Pro 1 and the X100 being 35mm equivalent.

It's pretty bleh right now, but those Sigmas that just came out rock. The 30 2.8 is being compared to the elemarit 28 2.8 sharpness/microcontrast wise-- and it's a $3000 leica lens. Consensus seems to be Sigma might be selling it as a loss leader to get a better reputation for themselves because it's far better than a $200 lens has any right to be.

I'm ordering mine tonight when B&H comes back up.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

HeyEng posted:

None of their E-mount glass will cover full frame anyway. It's a mount designed from the ground up to be APS-C.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Shmoogy posted:

It's pretty bleh right now, but those Sigmas that just came out rock. The 30 2.8 is being compared to the elemarit 28 2.8 sharpness/microcontrast wise-- and it's a $3000 leica lens. Consensus seems to be Sigma might be selling it as a loss leader to get a better reputation for themselves because it's far better than a $200 lens has any right to be.

I'm ordering mine tonight when B&H comes back up.

I got to play a bit with the Sigma 30mm for m43 and it seemed really nice. If I was sticking with m43, I would have an order in as well.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

HPL posted:

None of their E-mount glass will cover full frame anyway. It's a mount designed from the ground up to be APS-C.

Yea, that's right. So imagine Sony working on three lines of lenses. It'd be forever for their full frame mirrorless to be viable outside of a competent body.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

HeyEng posted:

Yea, that's right. So imagine Sony working on three lines of lenses. It'd be forever for their full frame mirrorless to be viable outside of a competent body.

Just skip the mount altogether (well, anything more than the minimum to attach an adapter to) because most people will be buying it to adapt old manual lenses anyway.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Beastruction posted:

Just skip the mount altogether (well, anything more than the minimum to attach an adapter to) because most people will be buying it to adapt old manual lenses anyway.

Well that would be an interesting idea altogether if it was for adapted lenses only.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

spankmeister posted:

Flickr is reporting that yesterday:
1336 people used m4/3 (I might have overlooked more models)
850 people used a Sony NEX model
222 people used a Leica M8/M9
124 people used either a V1(45) or J1(79)
83 people used the X-Pro1 (a further 315 people used the X100)

No stats are available for Pentax Q, Samsung NX or Ricoh GXR.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

Flickr is reporting that yesterday:
1336 people used m4/3 (I might have overlooked more models)
850 people used a Sony NEX model
222 people used a Leica M8/M9
124 people used either a V1(45) or J1(79)
83 people used the X-Pro1 (a further 315 people used the X100)

No stats are available for Pentax Q, Samsung NX or Ricoh GXR.

So it pretty much lines up with the age of each system.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Considering upgrading my point & shoot to a good interchangeable. Currently deciding between the nex-7 and the pentax k-01. I would pull the trigger on the Sony, but is the lack of image stabilization and lens choices that big of a deal? I happen to like the styling on both, and the ability to pick up cheap K-mount lenses for the pentax might be a deal killer given that it's cheaper.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
The K-01 is really big for a mirrorless, but it does have a sensor about as good as the K-5/Nikon D7000.

The NEX-7 would offer better manual focus (it does focus peaking I think?) and you could mount more lenses (like Canon FD that's too short to mount on the K-01 without a small teleconverter).

NEX-7 should mount Pentax as well as pretty much everything else I think.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I still want to know what is up with the NEX-7's edge resolution. It seems to suck with most non-purpose-designed glass, which is unfortunately virtually the only thing out for NEX.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

War photographer Eric Bouvet says he's done with SLRs. After years of shooting with a Nikon F2 and then a Canon 5D2 he's switching exclusively to the Fujifilm X-Pro 1. You can read the article in French here or use google translate to see a mangled version. He says the lack of a zoom lens is no hindrance since he never uses one. The light weight, compact size and superb image quality are why he's switching over, and why I did the same. Now if only I were only 1/100th of the photographer he is. :(

They ask why not a Leica M9 and he says that's just something for rich people to show off with. I love the M9 but he is mostly correct, Leica has gone after the "carriage trade" and left photo journalists behind.

Random Task
Mar 23, 2012
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A WORTHLESS GODDAMN DEADBEAT AND RUINING CHRISTMAS IN DORKROOM. NO SERIOUSLY, ASK ME, SO I CAN EXPLAIN MYSELF.
Just wanna remind people that cameras are not sensors and sensors are not cameras. Sony has a fantastic sensor, but I had a NEX and it was -- IMO -- a TERRIBLE camera. People get caught up in the numbers and forget that the best sensor in the world is worthless if the camera is unpleasant or inconvenient.

Which is not a knock against NEX, per se. I'm just encouraging everyone to pay attention to ALL aspects of how a camera is designed before buying one. Try em first if you can. I know that I'm much happier with micro four thirds equipment in spite of the sensor drawbacks. I am very curious to try the Nikon 1s, but again I get the sense that they're poor cameras attached to awesome AF systems.

Random Task fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 18, 2012

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

RustedChrome posted:

They ask why not a Leica M9 and he says that's just something for rich people to show off with. I love the M9 but he is mostly correct, Leica has gone after the "carriage trade" and left photo journalists behind.

While this is absolutely true, I would trust an M9P to hold together much better through really tough conditions than an X-Pro1. That said, not all war photographers put themselves into conditions that require that sort of robustness.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

moonduck posted:

While this is absolutely true, I would trust an M9P to hold together much better through really tough conditions than an X-Pro1. That said, not all war photographers put themselves into conditions that require that sort of robustness.

Yes, you could bash the skulls of an entire army with the M9 frame. But the sensor may crack for no apparent reason even if you treat it with kid gloves. Leica! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I got my Sigma 30mm E-mount yesterday. Thought I would give some impressions of it now that I've had it for a short while, in case anyone else is looking at one.

-great IQ; sharp form corner to corner even wide open
-a bit cheap feeling; rattles when not in use; fast, loose feeling focus ring
-autofocus seems to take longer to lock than with the kit or 16mm pancake
-lightweight

Overall I definitely consider it 200 bucks well spent, and will be using the heck out of it. I now consider it to be my walkaround lens, and I think my MF lenses will be getting a little vacation.

Here are a couple of shots from the short time I got to test it yesterday - it crops very well.

Wisteria by cadence440, on Flickr

Soph by cadence440, on Flickr