Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

text editor posted:

Slackware, does in fact have an official package manager, slackpkg, as well as some unofficial ones for community "repos".
Oh, well, shows how long I've not used Slack. :shobon:

quote:

Arch and pacman jst got package signing recently, and I don't believe the AUR has it at all, so you have to keep in mind that anything installed form the AUR could be a security liability

Pacman does have GPG, they've had it for a couple months I think?

The AUR is insecure yeah, but usually it just downloads the source package from sourceforge or github or something directly. I always check the PKGBUILD file anyway.

Does anyone use arch in critical security applications anyway? It doesn't seem like a proper OS for that tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Arch is an elitist distro for true faggots only. That's why I use it. :shobon:

It's really easy to get started using the guide linked by PotatoJudge, and the wiki actually explains what poo poo does instead of just giving you a bunch of commands to paste into a terminal, so you should get familiar with the system in the process of setting it up. From there on you can make it exactly as minimal or bloaty as you like it, and the wiki is amazingly detailed and helpful for helping you out with configuration and customization.

I've been on Arch for years now because I like my apps bleeding edge, which of course leads to the occasional breakage, but it's never been that bad. I've been running the same install on my desktop ever since switching from x86 to x86_64. Building stuff from AUR can be annoying at times, but like Zom Aur said it's a lot better than having to manually manage unsupported programs.

spankmeister posted:

Pacman does have GPG, they've had it for a couple months I think?
January is pretty recent.

spankmeister posted:

Does anyone use arch in critical security applications anyway? It doesn't seem like a proper OS for that tbh.
I sure hope not, it's a hobby OS.

Keito fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 12, 2012

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Cheers for that. I'll have a play around with Arch Linux on my laptop, seeing as it's not doing too much right now. Reading through the docs it really does a good job, quite well written by the looks of it.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Ahh okay, I'll stick to Centos/Fedora, I don't mind customizing but I would rather spend more time getting the services up than building the OS from basically nothing to do what I want. I see the appeal though.

mjau
Aug 8, 2008
Did Arch get over their hate of multilib yet?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

mjau posted:

Did Arch get over their hate of multilib yet?
What hate? There's a separate (but still official) repo for it which you can enable in pacman.conf.

Before it was separate, they just hung out in extra and community and had a bin32- or lib32-prefix.

kyuss
Nov 6, 2004

Any recommendations on how to deal with Picasa 3.9 and Arch_64 + wine?

The version found in the AUR works but is ancient, and the newest version constantly crashes on me while indexing my image folders. I'm kinda stumped on how to look for errors.

mjau
Aug 8, 2008

Zom Aur posted:

What hate? There's a separate (but still official) repo for it which you can enable in pacman.conf.

Before it was separate, they just hung out in extra and community and had a bin32- or lib32-prefix.

Ah, good to hear. (IIRC, they used to have this entry in their FAQ about how multilib was evil and the lack of official support was deliberate, but that was a few years ago.)

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Anyone able to tell me how to get tomcat to stop rotating logs? I switched to using logrotate but tomcat is still rotating catalina.out and a couple other log files.

I'm running CentOS 6.2 and it's currently using log4j

I've tried searching but ever single article I find only goes as far as setting up logrotate.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 12, 2012

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Maluco Marinero posted:

Cheers for that. I'll have a play around with Arch Linux on my laptop, seeing as it's not doing too much right now. Reading through the docs it really does a good job, quite well written by the looks of it.

One thing to watch when installing on a laptop, you might not have the firmware your wireless card needs to work available on the installation media or in the repositories. I ended up using a wired connection to get installed then using AUR to install the firmware.

To make AUR easier to use there are wrapper programs that simplify things. Personally I use yaourt.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

mjau posted:

Ah, good to hear. (IIRC, they used to have this entry in their FAQ about how multilib was evil and the lack of official support was deliberate, but that was a few years ago.)
Huh. That could very well be true to be honest, though they still had packages in the repos (maybe only community though?). I think it gained "official" multilib support when the multilib-specific repo went up.

Either way, it should be fine now. :)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ashex posted:

Anyone able to tell me how to get tomcat to stop rotating logs? I switched to using logrotate but tomcat is still rotating catalina.out and a couple other log files.

I'm running CentOS 6.2 and it's currently using log4j

I've tried searching but ever single article I find only goes as far as setting up logrotate.

Yeah that's in logging.properties somewhere, filehandler.limit or something.
If tomcat doesn't have a value I think the one in the jre/lib of your JDK takes precedence.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
So I'm starting to think it's time for a new OP/thread soon, and I think I wanna do writeups for two OPs.

First port:

quote:

Big distros and forks
-Ubuntu
-Debian
---LMDE
---Crunchbang
-Redhat
---Fedora
---CentOS
---Scientific
-ArchLinux

Short list of other distros (slackware, suse, live cds)

Desktop Environments
-Gnome
-Unity
-KDE4
-XFCE4

Other Wms (Openbox, etc)

Tiling WMs
-xmonad
-awesome
-dwm
-scrotwm/spectrewm

second post:

quote:

Distro specific stuff (unofficial but popular repos,specific tutorials, things new users should know)

Stuff like the bash scripting guide

Tools and utilities

Possibly a github or something where we can throw up dotfiles or sample configuration files or something

I don't know what other distros I should throw into the next OP, or if anyone has any specific resources that should be added but I should start work on it sometime tonight

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I probably would ignore anything that's not in the top 10 at Distrowatch.

I did a big post a few months back in this thread with a quick description/links of at least the top 5 if you want to start with that.

We should probably put something in about hardware compatibility and maybe a quick bit on using low-end hardware, and maybe non-PC hardware. And something about installing Linux on Macs, Linux Pro Magazine did a write-up on it 2 months ago.

And a big section on the must-have Linux programs.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 12, 2012

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

I probably would ignore anything that's not in the top 10 at Distrowatch.

I did a big post a few months back in this thread with a quick description/links of at least the top 5 if you want to start with that.

The other non-top 10 ones I threw in there were meant to be turnkey desktop distros or big-name spin-offs I was probably going to just give a line each to under their upstream distributions.

quote:

We should probably put something in about hardware compatibility and maybe a quick bit on using low-end hardware, and maybe non-PC hardware. And something about installing Linux on Macs, Linux Pro Magazine did a write-up on it 2 months ago.

I thought about this earlier and forgot I wanted to add it. I assume it will mostly be wirelss/video and laptops, but that's fine since everything else works on almost all commodity hardware..

quote:

And a big section on the must-have Linux programs.

I wasn't sure if I should have or not and was thinking about just linking the Archwiki Common Applications page, but yeah we could do this

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

maybe add lxde to the desktop environments list

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
and don't dare forget e17, razor-qt and ede

The new OP is in danger of becoming way too big already, maybe a mention that "there are more choices out there" plus a link to some wiki page listing them would be better than trying to cram in everything?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
This is a shot in the dark, but I figured I would try this thread.

Anyone have any experience connecting a Linux build (currently testing with Ubuntu) to a SonicWall VPN?

My google-fu seems to be off today as I cannot find too much on this.

A little VPN client would be ideal, as once I get the logistics worked out, this will be rolling down to end users.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Moey posted:

This is a shot in the dark, but I figured I would try this thread.

Anyone have any experience connecting a Linux build (currently testing with Ubuntu) to a SonicWall VPN?

My google-fu seems to be off today as I cannot find too much on this.

A little VPN client would be ideal, as once I get the logistics worked out, this will be rolling down to end users.

Uhm: http://www.pelagodesign.com/blog/20...hared-keys-psk/

Seems straightforward enough?

Search terms were "sonicwall VPN linux"

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Anyone have any experience connecting through VPN and using an RDP client? I found some information on using Rdesktop as the RDP client, does it work? Is there something else that works better? I've done this sort of thing before in Windows but never Linux.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Thanks spankmeister, no idea how I didn't come across that one. Will give it a shot.

PotatoJudge posted:

Anyone have any experience connecting through VPN and using an RDP client? I found some information on using Rdesktop as the RDP client, does it work? Is there something else that works better? I've done this sort of thing before in Windows but never Linux.

This is essentially what I am working towards setting up. Ideal outcome of what I am working on is a little "thin client" (aka locked down linux box) that goes home with a user. They can then connect to the VPN and RDP into whatever workstation they are assigned.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

PotatoJudge posted:

I do it with Fedora/Ubuntu and then the PPTP VPN built into m0n0wall. I just use whatever RDP client it comes with, not even sure of the name.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
What does purchasing RHEL support get me? I need to consider if I should purchase licenses for an upcoming project. The person who will be supporting this thing will most likely be me and I'm not sold on the idea of purchasing RHEL licenses for each server.

I understand that they are there to help in those Oh poo poo moments, but from your experiences have they actually helped you resolve the issues you were having or were they just a clueless help desk jockey?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

You need them for software updates but do what everyone does and add just one box, then use that to download all packages and updates to create your own repository for software packages. (using mrepo)

dolicf
Sep 12, 2010

MEAT TREAT posted:

What does purchasing RHEL support get me?

(All the below is assuming you're just talking about purchasing RHEL rather than an ongoing consulting/support contract with Red Hat, if I'm wrong on this, then ignore me)

It depends what kind of business you are and what environment you're running.

Do you absolutely require a third party backing your OS & associated packages with contractual obligations? Generally most people do not.

Assuming you don't, unless you have a need for a specific bit that is in RHEL but not CentOS or Scientific Linux that can't be met by other software, then you don't really need to purchase RHEL support.

Purchasing RHEL is more about the contractual guarantee you enter with Red Hat for them to provide support and development resources for the occasional problem you might run in to with the software they provide. This is generally limited to verifiable bugs (practically speaking this means verifiable bugs that Red Hat agrees is indeed a bug and not a 'feature').

Look at it this way: if you were to encounter a moderate to severe bug that you could not work around, how damaging would it be to your business to wait for the community to correct the problem vs. getting the fix directly from Red Hat? With the testing and stability that go in to the base RHEL/Cent packages, it's going to be very unlikely that you'll ever even run in to this situation.

dolicf
Sep 12, 2010

text editor posted:

So I'm starting to think it's time for a new OP/thread soon, and I think I wanna do writeups for two OPs

I think it would be a good idea to include a short bit about Linux in a professional environment. Specifically, some things one should do in order to 'learn Linux' in the sense that would be relevant for a Linux sysadmin job as well as a description of the relevant/worthwhile Linux certifications (Unless someone has a good argument, I think this is pretty much limited to Linux+/LPCI and the Red Hat certs).

I'd be happy to write up something about the various RH certs as I'm pretty familiar with them.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Is RHEL ever purchased for actual employee workstations or is it just servers? Who actually purchases RHEL support? Are there any companies out there at all? I'm just curious about the actual companies who purchase it because it seems like CentOS all day long.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Social Animal posted:

Is RHEL ever purchased for actual employee workstations or is it just servers? Who actually purchases RHEL support? Are there any companies out there at all? I'm just curious about the actual companies who purchase it because it seems like CentOS all day long.

Why is it so hard to believe people purchase support for RHEL?

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Social Animal posted:

Seeing as Red hat is a billion dollar company, yes there are lots of people purchasing support. It might not make sense for smaller companies but I know if my company were ever to look at something like this a support contract would be the first thing we'd want.

Postal
Aug 9, 2003

Don't make me go postal!

Longinus00 posted:

Why is it so hard to believe people purchase support for RHEL?

The US military buys into RHEL big. There is a prevailing idea that we cannot use free software. We must pay something for it. And we also don't want to train our users/maintainers very well to support it, so support contracts are vital to keeping things going.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
A n Apache rewrite problem where I'm not sure what's rewriting:

So I 'm setting up a CMS (Plone) and a set of subdomains on my Linode instance, running off the tips from postpostmodern and his a2mksite utility. I wanted my raw domain to be redirected to www:

code:
 foo.net/bar -> [url]www.foo.net/bar[/url]
#ignore spurious url formatting
and insert the desired rules for my site, doesn't work, find out that the postpostmodern conf is doing the opposite, comment both rules out to scatch ... and the url is being rewritten, but in a weird way:

code:
foo.net -> [url]www.foo.net//[/url]
foo.net/bar -> doesn't rewrite
Okay, so I've inserted a rule somewhere and forgotten about it. Nope. I grep the whole dir for every rewrite and there's only one active, which is the one that maps the request to the Plone server and it doesn't touch the www at all:

code:
RewriteEngine On
RewriteLogLevel 4
RewriteCond  %{HTTP_HOST}  ^(www\.)?foo\.net$ [NC,OR]
RewriteCond  %{HTTP_HOST}  ^plone\.foo\.net$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^($|/.*) [url]http://127.0.0.1:8080/VirtualHostBase/\http/[/url]{HTTP_HOST}:80/foo/VirtualHostRoot$1 [L,P]
Okay, so maybe there's a stray .htaccess file that's responsible. Nope.

So there must be something obvious I've missed. Ideas? Something has got be doing the rewrite.

dolicf
Sep 12, 2010

outlier posted:

A n Apache rewrite problem where I'm not sure what's rewriting:

So I 'm setting up a CMS (Plone) and a set of subdomains on my Linode instance, running off the tips from postpostmodern and his a2mksite utility. I wanted my raw domain to be redirected to www:

code:
 foo.net/bar -> [url]www.foo.net/bar[/url]
#ignore spurious url formatting
and insert the desired rules for my site, doesn't work, find out that the postpostmodern conf is doing the opposite, comment both rules out to scatch ... and the url is being rewritten, but in a weird way:

code:
foo.net -> [url]www.foo.net//[/url]
foo.net/bar -> doesn't rewrite
Okay, so I've inserted a rule somewhere and forgotten about it. Nope. I grep the whole dir for every rewrite and there's only one active, which is the one that maps the request to the Plone server and it doesn't touch the www at all:

code:
RewriteEngine On
RewriteLogLevel 4
RewriteCond  %{HTTP_HOST}  ^(www\.)?foo\.net$ [NC,OR]
RewriteCond  %{HTTP_HOST}  ^plone\.foo\.net$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^($|/.*) [url]http://127.0.0.1:8080/VirtualHostBase/\http/[/url]{HTTP_HOST}:80/foo/VirtualHostRoot$1 [L,P]
Okay, so maybe there's a stray .htaccess file that's responsible. Nope.

So there must be something obvious I've missed. Ideas? Something has got be doing the rewrite.

Is it in your config file? I'm not familiar with a2mksite, but it looks like it inserts a rewrite rule in your Apache config. Check the config ($PATH_TO_HTTPD_BINARY -S should show you the active vhosts and their configs) for Rewrite. It's likely that your RewriteCond is screwy.

The other option is to enable RewriteLog. This is pretty handy for troubleshooting like this, but heed their warning and don't keep it too high or on all the time:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_rewrite.html#rewritelog

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

When you have multiple consoles using one account in Linux (over SSH), what decides what gets put in .bash_history?

Obviously it doesn't log every command entered.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Bob Morales posted:

When you have multiple consoles using one account in Linux (over SSH), what decides what gets put in .bash_history?

.bash_history is written when you exit. If you kill -9 your SSH session from the initiating server, you won't have .bash_history either. shopt histappend will show you what happens. Generally, .bash_history is appended to every time your shell exits.

dolicf
Sep 12, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

I need to double check this (so anyone please correct me if I'm not remembering write or just outright wrong), but I had an issue a couple years ago that forced me to learn how Bash logs history.

Essentially (I don't know if this is configurable or not, but this is the default behavior), a Bash process will load up the existing history when spawned and then append any new commands to a buffer. When the Bash process exits, it will write its existing buffer to the history file. Based on anecdotal observation (and I very well could be 100% wrong here, it seems like it also might periodically read the existing file and merge the contents with the buffer). If you use only one session at a time, then this is all well and good.

However, if you use multiple sessions, you can potentially lose some command history. Also, I'm sure you've seen that a Bash process might not write any history depending on how it was terminated.

On a similar note, (I don't have the specifics available at this second, but I can provide them on Monday when I'm back in the office if someone is curious and no one else knows how), if a Bash session is currently open and you need to know what is in the unwritten history, there is a way to snag this. You can't just kill the process, because that wouldn't give the process the opportunity to write to the file before exiting, but you can use gdb to attach to the PID and spit the command history held in memory to a file in /tmp or whatever. It's pretty slick.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

dolicf posted:

On a similar note, (I don't have the specifics available at this second, but I can provide them on Monday when I'm back in the office if someone is curious and no one else knows how), if a Bash session is currently open and you need to know what is in the unwritten history, there is a way to snag this. You can't just kill the process, because that wouldn't give the process the opportunity to write to the file before exiting, but you can use gdb to attach to the PID and spit the command history held in memory to a file in /tmp or whatever. It's pretty slick.

Just attach and write_history(filename). You can also go through hell trying to find what it has malloced and extracting that,b ut it's not worth the time, generally.

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.
How does everybody manage playlists and music metadata between computers? I'm transitioning from Windows Media Player, where I could keep my playlists in M3U files. So I could easily make changes to a playlist in a text editor, and sync them between machines using Dropbox or rsync. And song ratings were written in to the song's mp3 file, so when I synced music directories track ratings were synced as well.

That doesn't seem to be the case in linux, at least with the players I've tried. Rhythmbox and Banshee both save playlists and track ratings to their own database files. Not very sync-friendly.

Is there another music player I should be looking at? Or another method for syncing this data?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

See if you can export them, not just save them. Otherwise, deadbeef (and probably others) can save as m3u.

dolicf
Sep 12, 2010

evol262 posted:

You can also go through hell trying to find what it has malloced and extracting that,b ut it's not worth the time, generally.

Very true. I've only ever had two excuses to do this, and both were because a customer who didn't understand the implications of what he was asking demanded the commands that were executed.

Explaining why he's asking the wrong questions and how it's not really possible to conclusively provide every action taken on the server only goes so far before you just give up and give them what they're asking for (albeit riddled with caveats).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Social Animal posted:

It's a catch-22. The people who are paying for RHEL aren't posting on forums and twitter asking for help, they're getting RH to take care of it. The guys paying nothing for CentOS don't have any support, so you see them posting about it all the time.