Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

NihilCredo posted:

Or too rough / uneven. A small crack or cut in the wrong place on a table can cause your mouse to continually 'stumble' on it, in which case a nice thick mousepad is the cheapest solution.
The smooth/clicky wheel and adjustable weight. Mainly the wheel; I'm a huge fan (as in I'll never buy another mouse without one), but there are those who actively dislike it.

The wheel can also scroll horizontally. I'm using a G400 on my laptop and a G500 for my desktop and I find myself trying to scroll horizontally on the G400 all the time because I'm just so used to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

The fact that the DX11 mode was broken on launch and AFAIK is still broken for 32-bit Windows users? The fact that save games would randomly corrupt and disappear and that wasn't fixed until mid-March despite the game coming out in November?
Well to be fair the save game problem was multi-platform and existed even in Arkham Asylum :)

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

The fact that the DX11 mode was broken on launch and AFAIK is still broken for 32-bit Windows users? The fact that save games would randomly corrupt and disappear and that wasn't fixed until mid-March despite the game coming out in November?

I actually wasn't aware of the 32-bit thing so yeah, I guess it wasn't a great port if that still isn't fixed.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
If you install GFWL before you install the game requiring it, the installation should be painless. I've never had a problem going that route. It sucks if you buy the Steam version it has GFWL and Steam DRM, but all that fades into the background if you're playing a solid game like Arkham Asylum/City or Dark Souls.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Siroc posted:

It sucks if you buy the Steam version it has GFWL and Steam DRM, but all that fades into the background if you're playing a solid game like Arkham Asylum/City or Dark Souls.

... and then your save files blink out of existence because the GFWL Cloud service does that sometimes. Or your save files become invalid because you bought DLC for the game. Or your save files stopped working because you reinstalled your OS and the save files are encrypted to only work with your old login.

GFWL does bad things. The only 'positive' feature is has to offer is a blink blonk effect when you get an achievement, which is mandatory because the option to turn it off doesn't work.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

Maxwell Adams posted:

... and then your save files blink out of existence because the GFWL Cloud service does that sometimes. Or your save files become invalid because you bought DLC for the game. Or your save files stopped working because you reinstalled your OS and the save files are encrypted to only work with your old login.

GFWL does bad things. The only 'positive' feature is has to offer is a blink blonk effect when you get an achievement, which is mandatory because the option to turn it off doesn't work.

The Asylum/City saved game bug wasn't a GFWL bug. Also, I started my AC game on W7 Professional 64-bit but my hard drive died. I managed to recover the save, put in a new hard drive and install W7 Ultimate 64-bit. The save game carried over from a different hard drive to a different OS flawlessly. Isn't the save thing to stop people swapping saves for achievements? Like everyone was doing during the Steam sales.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Mr Right posted:

The Asylum/City saved game bug wasn't a GFWL bug. Also, I started my AC game on W7 Professional 64-bit but my hard drive died. I managed to recover the save, put in a new hard drive and install W7 Ultimate 64-bit. The save game carried over from a different hard drive to a different OS flawlessly. Isn't the save thing to stop people swapping saves for achievements? Like everyone was doing during the Steam sales.

Even if that was the major reason, who the gently caress cares about achievements? Yay you did a thing, here's a pat on the back. Everyone who works towards these exclusively needs to stop being 14.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Mr Right posted:

The Asylum/City saved game bug wasn't a GFWL bug.

Yeah, but GFWL can also make that sort of thing happen.

Also, I forgot one of the terrible things about GFWL: patches for the game will be delayed for a month or so while Microsoft validates them.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Even if that was the major reason, who the gently caress cares about achievements? Yay you did a thing, here's a pat on the back. Everyone who works towards these exclusively needs to stop being 14.

I'm sorry to be the one to break this to you but achieving anything in any video game which doesn't involve literal gambling of money means ultimately nothing, and nets you nothing more than a virtual pat on the back. I mean, going by your argument, everyone who enjoys any kind of multiplayer game pre-Call of Duty 4 is fooling themselves because winning in those is never for anything more than the sake of winning, and you don't even get some kind of virtual hat for you to put on your character, print off a screenshot, and show to your proud parents. Achievements are a clever way to further 'game-ify' a game. You're objectively an idiot.

vv my mistake vv

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 14, 2012

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

The Grumbles posted:

I'm sorry to be the one to break this to you but achieving anything in any video game which doesn't involve literal gambling of money means ultimately nothing, and nets you nothing more than a virtual pat on the back. I mean, going by your argument, everyone who enjoys any kind of multiplayer game pre-Call of Duty 4 is fooling themselves because winning in those is never for anything more than the sake of winning, and you don't even get some kind of virtual hat for you to put on your character, print off a screenshot, and show to your proud parents. Achievements are a clever way to further 'game-ify' a game. You're objectively an idiot.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Revitalized posted:

G400 or G500

I picked up the 500 yesterday and it's lovely. I had a mx510 before. For me the price difference between the 400 & 500 was only £10 and the extra features on the 500 more than made up for the price. You can't go wrong with the 400 but if you have the extra cash get the 500.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Apr 15, 2012

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

RE: Logitech Mouse

One thing I learned from the mouse thread is that Logitech has amazing support. Contact them, tell them your MX518 isn't working, they might send you a G400 for free. Worst case is they send you nothing, but they apparently love sending out replacements even years after the warranty is done.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Humerus posted:

RE: Logitech Mouse

One thing I learned from the mouse thread is that Logitech has amazing support. Contact them, tell them your MX518 isn't working, they might send you a G400 for free. Worst case is they send you nothing, but they apparently love sending out replacements even years after the warranty is done.

Yeah, my G110 keyboard (which admittedly I hadn't been too easy on) started acting up out of warranty, I emailed them and they ended up sending me a brand new one free. Best part is, just after the said they sent me it the old one started working again out of the blue. And that's the closest I've come to actually having a Logitech product break in the first place.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
Do they not make the mx518's anymore? I'm down to my last one.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Pookum posted:

From what I understand the G400 is basically the same internals, just a few things added. Even on the box it says it's the successor to the MX518.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Pookum posted:

No, when mine broke a few months ago they had to send me a g400.

BIFF!
Jan 4, 2009
Not sure where to put this but I have a problem with Theme Hospital. Game runs fine but sometimes while I'm playing the mouse cursor will get stuck to the left side of the screen. Nothing I do will get it unstuck. It's really annoying because when this happens I can't save the game so all my progress is lost. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

BIFF! posted:

Not sure where to put this but I have a problem with Theme Hospital. Game runs fine but sometimes while I'm playing the mouse cursor will get stuck to the left side of the screen. Nothing I do will get it unstuck. It's really annoying because when this happens I can't save the game so all my progress is lost. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?
I'm not sure if it's different if you got the game from GoG, but would the mouse lag patch linked here do anything? It says it changes the CPU affinity, which can cause mouse lag and sticking issues: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Theme_Hospital

This is a good time to bring up the PC Gaming wiki anyway, I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread yet. I saw it linked on Rock Paper Shotgun a while ago not long after it first started, and it's starting to shape up into a good resource. I play a lot of old PC games, and although I'm generally too lazy to start new articles, I'm definitely game for tossing up fixes for issues I've had to dig around old forums for.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Pookum posted:

Nah, but the G400 is the same thing with a couple minor tweaks, like compatibility with the software that lets you define the DPI modes and a better paint job*.

*Might be a deal breaker for you?!??!?

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
If you don't custom paint all your computer accessories then you aren't pc gaming right.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Just an FYI, to whoever said you can't copy paste CD-keys into GfWL, I just did in Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet so that's either game specific or it's been fixed.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Pookum posted:

If you don't custom paint all your computer accessories then you aren't pc gaming right.

To be fair though, the MX 518s are all uglier than sin. There was probably some special edition mice that didn't look like poo poo, but every 518 I've ever seen including my own looks positively horrible.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Real gamers play in the dark* anyway.

* with bias lighting and f.lux. Protect your eyes kids!

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Has anyone here managed to get a stable 60ish fps on Alan Wake? Seems like it fluctuates between 30-60 on my system, which is a 560ti SLI setup. The SLI support isn't great, sure, but it's a 3 year old or whatever game ported to the PC. Even one 560ti should be tearing this game a new rear end in a top hat.

Same problem with Saints Row the Third on my system too. Up to date drivers, patches, everything. Still can't seem to get a stable smooth framerate.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
I got a great framerate with SR3 on release, I have an OCed 570. Are you running on a 2500k?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Just an FYI, to whoever said you can't copy paste CD-keys into GfWL, I just did in Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet so that's either game specific or it's been fixed.
Must be another one of gfwl's mysterious quirks like the button hitboxes because I couldn't do it for Microsoft Flight like a week and a half ago.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I've been playing STALKER with the complete mod lately. Still think the game is so cool.

Seems easier than the last time tried playing all the way through it though. (I didn't make it.)

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I remember when I was registering DLC codes for Arkham City I could paste them in, but only one box (out of 4) at a time. THAT was irritating.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

cat doter posted:

Has anyone here managed to get a stable 60ish fps on Alan Wake? Seems like it fluctuates between 30-60 on my system, which is a 560ti SLI setup. The SLI support isn't great, sure, but it's a 3 year old or whatever game ported to the PC. Even one 560ti should be tearing this game a new rear end in a top hat.

Same problem with Saints Row the Third on my system too. Up to date drivers, patches, everything. Still can't seem to get a stable smooth framerate.

What type of CPU do you have? I know someone who simply can't get a decent framerate in SR3 either and their specs are far and above what is required but they have a six-core cpu which I have suspected was the cause.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Death Himself posted:

What type of CPU do you have? I know someone who simply can't get a decent framerate in SR3 either and their specs are far and above what is required but they have a six-core cpu which I have suspected was the cause.

It's a phenom 2 x4 955 @ 3.6ghz. Not the fastest CPU around, but it should be enough.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

crestfallen posted:

I've been playing STALKER with the complete mod lately. Still think the game is so cool.

Seems easier than the last time tried playing all the way through it though. (I didn't make it.)
I felt like the games were all easier, too, but I am pretty sure I was imagining it and it was a result of me having been through all of them before to have a better idea of what to do--particularly because I found the Chernobyl section of Shadows of Chernobyl to be amazingly hard this time through despite having no problems the first time.

Regardless, did anyone ever hire the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Complete guy to come work for their company? Or is he a game development dude who does this stuff in his free time? Or is what he is doing not something you would ever be hired for in the first place?

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
You're probably right. I'm about at the point where I tailed off the last time. I'm sure it will seem more foreign and difficult from here on out.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Quarex posted:

I felt like the games were all easier, too, but I am pretty sure I was imagining it and it was a result of me having been through all of them before to have a better idea of what to do--particularly because I found the Chernobyl section of Shadows of Chernobyl to be amazingly hard this time through despite having no problems the first time.

Yeah, I played through SoC with Complete recently and the entire reactor section was almost impossible - I had to resort to tweaking some .cfg files to make me bullet resistant in order to finish the drat thing.

Was it easier in the original or something?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Convex posted:

Yeah, I played through SoC with Complete recently and the entire reactor section was almost impossible - I had to resort to tweaking some .cfg files to make me bullet resistant in order to finish the drat thing.

Was it easier in the original or something?

If you mean the part I think you mean, no, that was always bullshit. I think I did it in about ten tries and cheesing it by wearing an exoskeleton for half the trip, removing it in mid-combat, and then sprinting the rest of the way.

Apok
Jul 22, 2005
I have a title now!
I think that some gaming laptops have gotten better over time. I have an Asus G53 that I got because I needed a powerful computer for work....that could also play video games.

I did video editing, large print ad editing, and spent most of the day sitting at the computer managing stuff.

The computer has very large vents at the back so I never get overheating issues, the keyboard is magnificent, and the screen resolution is sharp for a 15" display.

The portability really did it for me, though. It's great for people who work in between home and an office or are out at friends' houses all of the time.

I can recommend the laptop or the larger Asus G series laptops to anyone on a slightly larger budget. It plays BF3, which is the only graphics intense game I have.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Apok posted:

laptop stuff

While I agree with you here, what is a dealbreaker for many people is; do you NEED portability? Because if you count upgrades/repairs for your current machine, a desktop will always be a better choice in the long run. I mean you can replace memory and hard drives in a laptop, but forget putting a new processor or graphics card in.

If you are on the go though, by all means get one. ESPECIALLY the G53.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I bought a laptop last week with almost no gaming aspirations but I had a deal where I could get one with an i5-2450 and a gtx 630m in it for cheaper than the equivalent with no dedicated card, so I went with that, and it's actually a totally acceptable gaming device with better performance on console ports than the consoles themselves :pwn:

Kind of crazy to me especially since it was only $650. It has a bad display that only goes up to 1366x768 but since most console games don't even hit 720p, well...

(Ideapad Z570 by the way)

Thewittyname
May 9, 2010

It's time to...
PRESS! YOUR! LUCK!

cat doter posted:

I'm playing SRtT right now with a single 560ti on a i5 2500k and it's smooth as silk. Some games just don't work as well with SLI as they do with one video card.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Lblitzer posted:

If you are on the go though, by all means get one. ESPECIALLY the G53.

Have those been discontinued or something? I just searched both Amazon and Newegg and couldn't find any.

I'm starting to look for a gaming laptop that I'll probably buy in June. The Alienware M14XR2 just went on sale today and it doesn't look too shabby.

Any other contenders I should know about?

(Also: Yes, I already have a gaming desktop, but I do a good bit of traveling so I want something I can fire up for gaming when I'm stuck on a train or whatever.)

Also I don't have an unlimited budget, so please don't suggest something like Razer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Thewittyname posted:

I'm playing SRtT right now with a single 560ti on a i5 2500k and it's smooth as silk. Some games just don't work as well with SLI as they do with one video card.

Nah I've tested it with both SLI enabled and disabled. It definitely does improve framerate, just not 90% scaling like most games. I'm chalking it up to another game that hates AMD CPUs.

• Locked thread