Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Minidust posted:

Finished my Doom II playthrough (via Steam's iD Superpack) last night. What exactly are "Final Doom" and "Master Levels for Doom II"?
Final Doom is two full 32-level sets for Doom 2 by the modding group TeamTNT with Id overseeing them. They're well worth playing.

Master Levels is a collection of user levels commissioned by Id from various mappers, some of which have gone on to bigger things in the industry (one of them is the design lead at Id now!). I'm not as familiar with them, but I guess they're worth a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.
There's also no new weapons or monsters or anything. Some new wall textures here and there.
The levels can be brutal compared to Doom 2. One of my favorites is in Plutonia. You step off the starting platform and a wall lowers, revealing a dozen Archviles held in place. You leave the room and they all teleport away. Now you're in a claustrophobic wooden maze and hear them all around you. All while the "Bunny" music is playing. Awesome.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

That Ignorant Sap posted:

There's also no new weapons or monsters or anything. Some new wall textures here and there.
The levels can be brutal compared to Doom 2. One of my favorites is in Plutonia. You step off the starting platform and a wall lowers, revealing a dozen Archviles held in place. You leave the room and they all teleport away. Now you're in a claustrophobic wooden maze and hear them all around you. All while the "Bunny" music is playing. Awesome.

I gave up on Plutonia after getting completely annihilated in Baron's Den. That level is loving ridiculous, first you have to deal with millions of enemies spawning all over the place, then you practically have to fight a Cyberdemon in a closet, then millions more enemies turn up again :argh:

I did finish it after about 3 hours but by then I'd completely lost the will to carry on...

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

This dirty guitar I am buying saturday has taken away all my router funds. I am so sorry, thread. I will lie, cheat, and steal for one by next week.

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.

That Ignorant Sap posted:

That level is brilliantly clever and scared the crap out of me. It totally changes the game when the enemies are all on alert, they could be anywhere, they can hurt you really badly, and you're in a maze.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
I am still vaguely annoyed at the fact Aeons of Death took out custom races in their newest version.

I still haven't gotten past Plutonia 1, I can't remember why (I think my battery ran out or something similarly dumb in my playthrough).

Also, I can't seem to force polygons for Eduke32, and I suspect it's because my laptop is a lovely Intel HD Graphics. Anyone know any workarounds to this?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

JackMackerel posted:

I am still vaguely annoyed at the fact Aeons of Death took out custom races in their newest version.

The races got replaced by the theme modes - you choose which game universe to favor.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Can someone tell me what the 2 bars filling up on the lower left of the Aeod v6 hud mean?

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Apr 13, 2012

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Kazvall posted:

This dirty guitar I am buying saturday has taken away all my router funds. I am so sorry, thread. I will lie, cheat, and steal for one by next week.
I'll cover you this weekend, granted I will only put up terrible wads.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Dukka posted:

I'll cover you this weekend, granted I will only put up terrible wads.

Uh... you mean the best kind of wads?

Chaddicus
Apr 1, 2012

Ex libris.

Kazvall posted:

Uh... you mean the best kind of wads?

Would you say you are a wad connoisseur?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Decided to play Ultimate Torment and Torture, after having failed to complete it, geeze, a couple years ago, when I first got Doom, now. I love the gothic-industrial look, even more than when I first played it (probably 'cause I played Quake in the interim). But Goddamn! I forgot how hard it was. Are there any other wads with the same style?

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

The Kins posted:

Final Doom is two full 32-level sets for Doom 2 by the modding group TeamTNT with Id overseeing them. They're well worth playing.

Master Levels is a collection of user levels commissioned by Id from various mappers, some of which have gone on to bigger things in the industry (one of them is the design lead at Id now!). I'm not as familiar with them, but I guess they're worth a shot.

I think they're all well worth playing. The Wraith Corp. megaWADs are also worth doing alongside, considering they're from two of the more prolific authors from TNT Evilution (plus Mackey McCandlish, who went on to helm Modern Warfare 2, among other things).

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

kmxexii posted:

(plus Mackey McCandlish, who went on to helm Modern Warfare 2, among other things)
It's kind of fun to see how many Doom and Quake modders went on to the larger industry!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

The Kins posted:

Plutonia wasn't made by TeamTNT, it was made by Dario and Milo Casali, and although they were a part of TeamTNT at the time, it was an independent project.
:goonsay:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I died in Reelism from a mystery crate that exploded when I threw a brick at it. The sheer absurdity of it made me laugh.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zeether posted:

I died in Reelism from a mystery crate that exploded when I threw a brick at it. The sheer absurdity of it made me laugh.
Grenade boxes are great when you're far enough away from them!

Hopefully I can get the update out soon. Two new maps, 12 new rules, expansions to existing rules, co-op support (no Skulltag support sadly so you'll have to use GZDoom and command lines like savages), and countless dogs. No seriously, there's a lot of dogs. Also the title screen sucks less:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrGm7_mB0lU

...I'll stop posting about my stupid mod now. Let's post about other people's stupid mods! Here's someone else's take on my stupid explosion physics thing. I hope something like this ends up in Brutal Doom, because corpse-juggling was fun as hell in Saints Row. I mean, there's new explosive death effects but they just aren't as, well, flat-out ridiculous as I'd like. The AEons of Death guy is bringing BulletStorm's arsenal to Doom, although sadly there won't be any SkillShots. Yet.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
Hey Kins, what level editor do you use? I'd like to get into some doom mapping. Doom Builder or something?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Hey Kins, what level editor do you use? I'd like to get into some doom mapping. Doom Builder or something?
Doom Builder 2 is pretty much the be-all end-all of level editing. If for some sick reason you want to add textures or something, SLADE3 is the best WAD editor.

I'm not a very good mapper at all, so the advice I can give is pretty limited. One tip, though: If your level is going to be for ZDoom or GZDoom and you intend to use that engine's features, set your level's game config to use "UDMF format". It's a newer level format that's a lot easier to work with than the old Doom or Hexen formats. If you intend on an engine-agnostic "vanilla" level, then just use Doom format.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
So stuff playable in Skulltag should be UDMF since it uses GZDoom?

I've got a lot of level design experience, don't worry. I'm pretty sure I can figure it out :)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

I've got a lot of level design experience, don't worry. I'm pretty sure I can figure it out :)
Skulltag is pretty much an older version of GZDoom, so yeah UDMF should work fine.

And yeah I know your pedigree. Hope you make some cool stuff!

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Chaddicus posted:

Would you say you are a wad connoisseur?

I think about thickmclargehuge-mega-wads like all day long.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Kazvall posted:

I think about thickmclargehuge-mega-wads like all day long.

I'm mostly into IWADS. It's a kink.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Has any progress been made anywhere on updating Skulltag to GZDoom standards now that the source is out there? Be great to get to play Nazis online, among countless other cool wads that historically haven't played nice with Skulltag. :shobon:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

I want to see what someone with confidence in their level design skills could make for Reelism. Sorry The Kins, but your maps tend to be way too large and open for my tastes.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Dominic White posted:

The races got replaced by the theme modes - you choose which game universe to favor.

Oh, I know, but I still thought the custom races were pretty neat. The UAC mech was oddly fun to stomp around in.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

bbcisdabomb posted:

I want to see what someone with confidence in their level design skills could make for Reelism. Sorry The Kins, but your maps tend to be way too large and open for my tastes.

I could give it a shot. I was thinking of doing a doom or hexen wad to get used to the editor first though.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Heyyyy so are there any good gzdoom-like ports for Android? I have a Transformer Prime tablet and that should be able to run the gently caress out of a fancy new Doom port, and that would be awesome. Screw screen controls, I've got my PS3 pad tethered to it, but I want some mobile Doom action.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

tooooooo bad posted:

Has any progress been made anywhere on updating Skulltag to GZDoom standards now that the source is out there? Be great to get to play Nazis online, among countless other cool wads that historically haven't played nice with Skulltag. :shobon:
Last I checked, there was a lot of progress in going :wtf::wtf::wtf: at some of the choices in the netcode programming. I haven't heard of anything else, so I guess people are still tangled in the vines?

bbcisdabomb posted:

No offense taken, I'm a pretty crappy mapper. I didn't make the two expansion levels, and they're less open (a LOT less in one case)

I could give it a shot. I was thinking of doing a doom or hexen wad to get used to the editor first though.
:ohdear:

Code Jockey posted:

Heyyyy so are there any good gzdoom-like ports for Android? I have a Transformer Prime tablet and that should be able to run the gently caress out of a fancy new Doom port, and that would be awesome. Screw screen controls, I've got my PS3 pad tethered to it, but I want some mobile Doom action.
Nothing on the level of ZDoom, it seems. Just a port of PRBoom. Maybe there's better, but I'm not well versed in the Android Ecosystem™.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

I don't know if it will be of any help to you given that you know a ton about using level editors, but about a year ago I made a guide to Doom mapping using Doom Builder 2 that I never finished in the previous version of this thread, which I since mirrored on the Doomworld forums here. It does assume the most complicated map format (UDMF) so using a lesser format should be a breeze. The simpler the format, the more restricted you are of course. You might be surprised at how limiting the vanilla mapping format is.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I'm not convinced E1M1, UV, +Brutal+10x is even possible. There's over 200 loving enemies in the thing! And most of them are sergeants, so you just get wave after wave of shotgun shells.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

The Kins posted:

:ohdear:

I'm not promising anything!

H2Omelon posted:

I don't know if it will be of any help to you given that you know a ton about using level editors, but about a year ago I made a guide to Doom mapping using Doom Builder 2 that I never finished in the previous version of this thread, which I since mirrored on the Doomworld forums here. It does assume the most complicated map format (UDMF) so using a lesser format should be a breeze. The simpler the format, the more restricted you are of course. You might be surprised at how limiting the vanilla mapping format is.

I'll take a look at this. Thanks!

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 13, 2012

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Who likes ridiculous Doom TAS speedruns? How about a full no-monsters run of Doom 2, except the guy plays all 4 players at the same time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1T7veqA9gM

MAP29 is completely ridiculous.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So it's basically like some crazy Doom 2 version of Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom but he's using his own recordings to physics glitch himself through the maps faster??

:psyduck:

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Yup, there's a bug in the Doom engine called "thingrunning" that lets you run way faster if you're strafe running alongside another object, which you can see happening clearly in the secret level. They also shoot each other to add to their momentum, restocking on health and ammo during any downtime.

And the whole thing is topped off by a double archvile jump into the icon of sin's brain to point-blank BFG Romero's head.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I don't entirely understand what happened on map 29 :psypop:

Icon of Sin was amazing though.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

H2Omelon posted:

Who likes ridiculous Doom TAS speedruns? How about a full no-monsters run of Doom 2, except the guy plays all 4 players at the same time?

[WIZARDRY]

MAP29 is completely ridiculous.

How the devil do you even do that? :psyduck:

I want to see a video of him playing it and a description of how he did it, because gently caress.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
God, it's like that dual player no-death run of Ikaruga and dicking around in Serious Sam's split-screen offline coop (it'd do the same thing).

:psyboom:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Which one is Map 29? :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Maybe we should all try to make a doom map and make a GOON (see: gay) WAD.