Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Neurosis posted:

I meant the other way around. Tugging on a guy's elbows and shifting my legs up results in a number of headbutts. I'm only 179cm (~5'10 or 5'11) though so if you are 6' plus it might be a different experience.

Ya I'm six two and had that, but I was saying it happens the other way too, from the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Neurosis posted:

I have been to four gyms and trained with 50+ guys and no one has worn a cup. Unless you enjoy frottage it's not going to be a problem.

I've also found mouthguards are only an issue when doing guard stuff. Most commonly breaking people down in your guard will have them headbutting your teeth. This is actually really common, though, so a mouthguard is definitely worth getting. Kneepads may also be advisable if the mat surface of the local gym is rough. Certain surfaces will injure your skin so badly you can't train for a couple of weeks.

Mouthguards aren't that big a deal when just doing groundwork, but you definitely want one if you're doing takedown work. I've chipped my teeth wrestling from the feet more times than I care to remember.

beadgc
Jun 11, 2005
bass
If you're not using a mouth guard, doesn't it hurt or damage your teeth when you're getting crossfaced or whenever your opponent puts pressure on your jawline? I feel really naked without my mouth guard, I even use it when doing cardio work, just to get used to having it in while being fatigued.

Also grappling in jeans, I can't decide if that's awesome or totally wrong.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

beadgc posted:

If you're not using a mouth guard, doesn't it hurt or damage your teeth when you're getting crossfaced or whenever your opponent puts pressure on your jawline? I feel really naked without my mouth guard, I even use it when doing cardio work, just to get used to having it in while being fatigued.

Also grappling in jeans, I can't decide if that's awesome or totally wrong.

I never really had a problem with getting cross faced without a mouth guard.

I did have a problem where I'm defending a very tight choke (rear naked or a lapel choke) and it ends up above my jaw along the bottom of my teeth. In those cases I'd have to tap because I really didn't want to run the risk of loving up some teeth.

However it may have just been having a lot of pressure grinding on the gums.

I never had any actual damage done.

Anyway I don't plan on testing it out any time soon. Maybe it is possible maybe its not.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
I always wear a mouthguard while rolling, but usually not while drilling. I've chipped a few teeth due to 'accidents' or a new guy in his flailing stage.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I'm an idiot and grit my teeth whenever I do anything. I chipped my tooth choking someone. Since then I wear a mouthguard every time.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Yeap. I chipped my front tooth gritting my teeth together as someone was applying shoulder pressure down on my jaw. Wear a mouf guard!

Lurkee Mcgee
Jun 5, 2006
Competed in my first tournament today! Lost one match via RNC, lost the second on points, (4-2). Welp, back to the drawing board. Great time, though.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
The Abu Dhabi Pro Jiu Jitsu Championships went down earlier today. http://www.bjjfights.com/ has a bunch of the matches(including most of the finals) up. Rodolfo Vieira took double gold AGAIN, at this point if anyone other than Roger beats him it's going to be a huge upset.

The other big story is probably Roberto Satoshi winning the lightweight division. Satoshi was a brown belt for most of last year, but between his run at the European Open in January and Abu Dhabi this weekend he's already beaten almost all the top guys in his division(Langhi, Lepri, JT Torres). He hasn't faced Kron or Leandro Lo yet, but based on his run so far it looks like Satoshi has to be the favorite at worlds.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Lurkee Mcgee posted:

Competed in my first tournament today! Lost one match via RNC, lost the second on points, (4-2). Welp, back to the drawing board. Great time, though.

Everyone's first competition is tough. At least now you have a feel for the adrenaline of competition and a solid idea of what you need to work on.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Lurkee Mcgee posted:

I've competed 4 times, today being the latest. Second tournament I competed in I hosed up and didn't tap soon enough and got choked out. They're great for showing you what you need to work on, and the pace is different from regular class which is fun.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Lurkee Mcgee posted:

Congrats! Even if you don't get any wins tournaments are still the absolute best way to become a better grappler. Keep competing and the wins will come.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Lurkee Mcgee posted:

And you didn't even get hurt! :cheers:

Seriously, like four guys from my gym ended up in casts or braces after the last tournament.

Lurkee Mcgee
Jun 5, 2006
Thanks for the words of encouragement, guys. It really was a great learning experience. For the most part, I learned the importance of drilling stand up (takedowns, takedown defense). I went in completely raw in that area and paid the price, but that's something that I would've never picked up on in months of class. Still sucks that you have to wait 4 hours for 4 minutes of mat time, but I guess that's to be expected.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Lurkee Mcgee posted:

you have to wait 4 hours for 4 minutes of mat time, but I guess that's to be expected.

Welcome to BJJ competitions!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
What's the name of the back take Leo Viera does here? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-YjdqAm1iXE#t=88s

I found a couple of variations on youtube, but they don't seem to be exactly the same thing.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Does anyone know anything about Tiger Schulmann BJJ? this weekend I was at a NAGA competition in New Jersey and on the day the kids compete they took 2 or so full mats for warming up and were doing calisthenics and poo poo as a group and it was kind of weird imo.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Hi thread, I just started doing jiu jitsu about a month ago after a Machado gym opened up right behind my house.

I love it so far but I'm having problems tapping dudes. Like, I can get into good positions like mount or side control but I don't really know any go to submissions to finish with once I'm there. I just kind of stall and go for bad keylocks.

What are some easy to learn subs that a new grappler could do on other new dudes?

Also, I have a mouthguard but I didn't really put it in while rolling cause it was hard to breathe with it but after reading all these stories about yall getting chipped teeth I'm definitely gonna start using it at all times.

Death Bucket
Jul 19, 2001
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
You can combo the arm triangle and the americana off each other. If you're rolling gi, the ezekiel from mount is a nice tool to have; if you're rolling no-gi, the nogi ezekiel is hilarious and awesome but your instructor will probably yell at you for trying to do it. Just keep with it, subs will come.

But if you got a Machado gym in your backyard, that's an infinitely better resource for progressing your game than the internet anyway.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Yeah, I forgot to mention that I'm rolling gi. Thanks for the tips, I'll keep at it.

And yeah, the gym rules. The instructors are awesome and it's a great atmosphere.

Biodome fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 15, 2012

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Bohemian Nights posted:

What's the name of the back take Leo Viera does here? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-YjdqAm1iXE#t=88s

I found a couple of variations on youtube, but they don't seem to be exactly the same thing.

The cambalhota, which just means Somersault in Portuguese. The key is strong underhooks and chest to back pressure to make sure uke gets pulled forward with you.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

awkward_turtle posted:

The cambalhota, which just means Somersault in Portuguese. The key is strong underhooks and chest to back pressure to make sure uke gets pulled forward with you.

Also, make sure your head is next to his head so you don't hit it on the ground when you roll.

Biodome posted:

What are some easy to learn subs that a new grappler could do on other new dudes?

There are too many good options to give a definitive answer for side control, but your mount game should involve getting one hand deep in the collar and looking for the cross choke. The cross choke itself is a very strong submission, and your opponents reactions will open up a lot of other options(arm bar, americana, ezequel etc).

Attacking the cross choke isn't actually the easiest way to finish beginners from the mount, but it has the advantage of being the only real strategy that will still work against decent blues and up.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

dokomoy posted:

Attacking the cross choke isn't actually the easiest way to finish beginners from the mount, but it has the advantage of being the only real strategy that will still work against decent blues and up.

But that's not even available in no-gi. Surely you're not saying there's no viable strategy left in that case?

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

McNerd posted:

But that's not even available in no-gi. Surely you're not saying there's no viable strategy left in that case?

At last years ADCC Marcelo Garcia passed half guard directly into a mounted triangle. But off the top of my head I can't think of any other recent examples of guys finishing from mount at a high level no gi event(ADCC, No Gi Worlds etc).

I think my opinion on this is a little extreme, but to me side control and especially the back are much stronger options than mount no gi.

widunder
May 2, 2002

dokomoy posted:

At last years ADCC Marcelo Garcia passed half guard directly into a mounted triangle. But off the top of my head I can't think of any other recent examples of guys finishing from mount at a high level no gi event(ADCC, No Gi Worlds etc).

I think my opinion on this is a little extreme, but to me side control and especially the back are much stronger options than mount no gi.
I agree, the mount is a far less powerful position in no gi and gi.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I agree no gi mount loses some of its offensive capacity but you still have some nice control, usually leading to the back.

with gi, mount is pretty strong and then with striking included it's the best position behind back.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
Nogi I rarely get submissions from mount, but alot get setup during transitions from mount. Like if they try to escape and you slide back to sidecontrol.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

awkward_turtle posted:

Thanks! I've been doing this move for a while, but when someone asked me what it was called I was completely stumped, and googling didn't bring me any closer to an answer.

Also, yeah, submissions from the top mount in nogi seem really hard to come by with opponents at or above your level. I've had a lot of success with the mounted triangle, though!

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I tapped someone with the ezekiel. :whatup:

We did the line training or whatever where people take turns trying to get a sweep or a tap, that was great fun. I tried the choke on some of the higher level belt dudes and they defended it but it was nice to have some offensive choices to use.

Grappling rules.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

quote:

USA Wrestling will partner with NBCOlympics.com to provide a live webcast of all four mats of the Challenge Tournament of the U.S. Olympic Team Trials in Iowa City, Iowa, on Saturday, April 21, and Sunday, April 22, beginning at 9 a.m. CT each day.

In addition, NBC Sports Network will present six hours of next-day coverage of the Olympic Wrestling Trials. The first day of Olympic Trials wrestling action will be aired on Sunday, April 22 from 4-7 p.m. ET on NBC Sports Network. The final day action will be aired on Monday, April 23 from 3-6 p.m. ET on NBC Sports Network.

Fans can log on to NBCOlympics.com each day at 9 a.m. CT for the preliminary, quarterfinal, semifinal and challenge tournament final rounds. The approximate ending time of each session is 3:00 p.m.

To see the webcast, just go to the NBCOlympics.com homepage at: http://www.nbcolympics.com/

To find an NBC Sports Network in your area click here: NBC Sports Network Channel Finder

If Mardragon/Thoguh/anyone else could/want to give a rundown on the wrestlers that are gonna be competing in the trials, that'd be cool.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

henkman posted:

Does anyone know anything about Tiger Schulmann BJJ? this weekend I was at a NAGA competition in New Jersey and on the day the kids compete they took 2 or so full mats for warming up and were doing calisthenics and poo poo as a group and it was kind of weird imo.

Way back when, Tiger Schulmann was a karate chain that I imagine simply served up bullshit. It wouldn't surprise me to learn they now do the same with BJJ, and iirc the courses they offered were also pretty kid-centric.

They offer MMA courses too, and I see commercials sometimes with Luis(z?) Fergusson or whoever (the green-haired dude from TUF a season or two back) talking about how he is a Tiger Schulmann's fighter and also the number fifth ranked whateverweight in the world.

I am surprised that they're still around though. They were a big deal when I first started training lovely karate like eleven years ago.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Way back when, Tiger Schulmann was a karate chain that I imagine simply served up bullshit. It wouldn't surprise me to learn they now do the same with BJJ, and iirc the courses they offered were also pretty kid-centric.

They offer MMA courses too, and I see commercials sometimes with Luis(z?) Fergusson or whoever (the green-haired dude from TUF a season or two back) talking about how he is a Tiger Schulmann's fighter and also the number fifth ranked whateverweight in the world.

I am surprised that they're still around though. They were a big deal when I first started training lovely karate like eleven years ago.

I've seen/heard people say they have black belts in MMA from Tiger Schulmann's gyms which always made me laugh for some reason (some of the people saying it were 10 year olds)

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

At work I once photocopied a resume for a 14 year old kid, and he had a "black belt in mma" listed. He had arms like twigs and looked and sounded a little bit like he might have a learning disability.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

At work I once photocopied a resume for a 14 year old kid, and he had a "black belt in mma" listed. He had arms like twigs and looked and sounded a little bit like he might have a learning disability.

*Sigh* Yet another hater, look buddy Rory Macdonald is the real deal.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Chexoid posted:

*Sigh* Yet another hater, look buddy Rory Macdonald is the real deal.

Pretty sure you spelled Nate Diaz wrong

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
The kids name is Danny Downes.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
You people leave me alone, you have no idea what I had to go through for this black belt

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

fatherdog posted:

[url=http://kenchertow.com/?utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=http%3a%2f%2fkenchertow.com&utm_campaign=TV+coverage+of+Olympic+Trials%2c+new+DVDs+available%2c+and+contest+for+%24100]

If Mardragon/Thoguh/anyone else could/want to give a rundown on the wrestlers that are gonna be competing in the trials, that'd be cool.

Joe Warren will be there in the 132lbs Greco-Roman division.

Death Bucket
Jul 19, 2001
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

niethan posted:

The kids name is Danny Downes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Bohemian Nights posted:

You people leave me alone, you have no idea what I had to go through for this black belt

Amazon market place?