Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

The Columbus LEGO store was a bust. Almost every bin was full of 2x4 bricks.

I...I can work with this. I issue a challenge to all LEGOons. Make a space fighter using only full 2x4 bricks. I'll give the best one...I don't know, sex or a LDD trophy made out of 2x4s or something.

I just want to see goon badassery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!

D34THROW posted:

I...I can work with this. I issue a challenge to all LEGOons. Make a space fighter using only full 2x4 bricks. I'll give the best one...I don't know, sex or a LDD trophy made out of 2x4s or something.

I just want to see goon badassery.

I'm totally down for this! Is there a deadline? Cause I'll start as soon as I get home from work tomorrow...or hell, maybe I'll just make one AT work. I have the best job :)

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

youareoffthehook, stupid question for you, and feel free to mercilessly mock me. Any PaB exchange program, or am I stuck buying a small bin full of the bricks I need?

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

7thBatallion posted:

youareoffthehook, stupid question for you, and feel free to mercilessly mock me. Any PaB exchange program, or am I stuck buying a small bin full of the bricks I need?

What do you mean by exchange program?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

youareoffthehook posted:

What do you mean by exchange program?

Answers my question. Gonna have to go buy a new bin.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I decided that since I was already 20 minutes north to fix a client's computer, I'd make the rest of the trip up to Bellevue today to take advantage of the PaB sale. I got there around 7:30. Store wasn't too busy, and there were 5 other AFOLs there filling their cups. One was getting grey in anticipation of expanding Helms Deep, another was getting white for a Disney cruise ship he's building for his wife.
Piece variety wasn't bad, but there was nothing special.
I semi-packed my 5, and then one of the employees (Dean? Pretty sure it started with a D) offered me a 6th cup that someone else had packed but didn't buy. It was layered in small pieces and tiles and he really didn't feel like sorting it back out, so I got 6 cups at $8 apiece. :)

Plus I had 400 points from double points last month, so I got a ridiculous amount of PaB for $32 and change.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Third decal sheet came out crystal clear. Creating the images in 300ppi makes all the difference. :j:

Wanted to share this. I cobbled together some existing art to make a female bomber jacket.

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

Pyroclastic posted:

I decided that since I was already 20 minutes north to fix a client's computer, I'd make the rest of the trip up to Bellevue today to take advantage of the PaB sale. I got there around 7:30. Store wasn't too busy, and there were 5 other AFOLs there filling their cups. One was getting grey in anticipation of expanding Helms Deep, another was getting white for a Disney cruise ship he's building for his wife.
Piece variety wasn't bad, but there was nothing special.
I semi-packed my 5, and then one of the employees (Dean? Pretty sure it started with a D) offered me a 6th cup that someone else had packed but didn't buy. It was layered in small pieces and tiles and he really didn't feel like sorting it back out, so I got 6 cups at $8 apiece. :)

Plus I had 400 points from double points last month, so I got a ridiculous amount of PaB for $32 and change.

Haha, that's Drew! I'm glad you took advantage of that cup, I was going to grab it, but I need different pieces right now.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Any idea how to do the arial on WTC 2? I redid the thing and i'm 2/3 through the tower. That antenna is giving me a hard time, suffice to say. It could use some darker 4x4 plates, but just getting it done for now will be an achievement in itself.

Edit: It turns out that my version is almost perfectly scale with the Willis Tower. Unfortunately the Burj Khalifa is half the size it should be, so I either have to skip it or fund a way to upscale it by 100%...

Also, the blocks I though were completely useless are now the core of my WTC, adding much needed stability and putting to use something I would have just tried to pass off otherwise. At least everything has it's purpose now, I was afraid I put a lot of space into wasted blocks. By the way, I was thinking of some sort of local goon brick exchange thing, where we could trade and/or just give unused bricks to someone that could use them for a project.

anyone else dabble in MoC architecture? Any tips? And what are those grated and uniquely angled blocks that this guy uses? I can't find them on the PaB website?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moctown/6224432884/in/photostream

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 12, 2012

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Does this half price PaB thing happen every month? If so, I'm in trouble.

MichaelFlatley
Nov 11, 2002
Well this seems a pretty good deal for any wealthy store owning goons...

http://london.craigslist.co.uk/tad/2952252212.html

quote:

Lot of 300 Lego Kingdoms Joust - £10000 (United States)

Hi there I have for sale a lot of Lego Kingdoms Joust, brand new and sealed shipped from warehouse, this is a great price for any supplier out there!!

This item is Brand New, Factory Sealed Box

Lego Kingdoms Joust #10223

Item: 10223
Ages:12+
Pieces:1575

Watch the Knights battle it out at the Royal Joust!

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Whats the largest plate size and beam size (eg 1x12, 1x16 tall) I can expect to find in PAB? My nearest store is 2-3 hours away but I'm hoping I can detour to it the next time I need to travel that way.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The largest plate size my store had was 1x1, so I'd say it really depends on what they have in stock.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I know, what I want to know is which sizes are even in the PAB order list and which sizes I would need to go to bricklink to get instead of hoping a store would get them in sometime.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

7thBatallion posted:

And what are those grated and uniquely angled blocks that this guy uses? I can't find them on the PaB website?

61409 - Slope 18 2 x 1 x 2/3 with 4 Slots

It's one of my favorite elements for microscale

Ika posted:

I know, what I want to know is which sizes are even in the PAB order list and which sizes I would need to go to bricklink to get instead of hoping a store would get them in sometime.

http://www.brickbuildr.com/view/pab/ has a list of elements available, but is only as good as the people who update it. My store, Indianapolis has 4x6 plates in blue and white and 1x16 and 1x8 bricks in white, seemed to be the largest.

djfooboo fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 12, 2012

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Nice, thanks, now all I need to do is find someone in nuernberg who would fill a cup and mail it to me.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Lego's getting super into the multiple faces on a minifig head thing these days. I picked up the Wolverine w/ helicopter set yesterday and both Magneto and Wolverine have both a stoic face and an ANGRY FACE.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Swagger Dagger posted:

Lego's getting super into the multiple faces on a minifig head thing these days. I picked up the Wolverine w/ helicopter set yesterday and both Magneto and Wolverine have both a stoic face and an ANGRY FACE.

Yessss bezerker rage form activated

MichaelFlatley
Nov 11, 2002

Swagger Dagger posted:

The minor annoyance being Wolverines face pokes out the back of his hair..

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Amazon has the VW Camper Van on sale for $99 with free shipping!

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Creator-Volkswagen-Camper-10220/dp/B0050R0XEG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334255253&sr=8-1

Just ordered!

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin

mattfl posted:

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Creator-Volkswagen-Camper-10220/dp/B0050R0XEG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334255253&sr=8-1

Just ordered!

Oh, man, that's why I love and hate this thread. Thanks for the heads up.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Ninja Bob posted:

Oh, man, that's why I love and hate this thread. Thanks for the heads up.

Figured a few people would jump on it at that price, including myself!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
gently caress! It's already gone. :(

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Wow, drat, I had a page open with it still at 99.99 and refreshed it, and boom, gone!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Keep checking back. It's been gone and back most of the day.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I ended up having to travel for work this week, so the person selling Alien Defense HQ agreed to ship the thing to me, however before he will do that he wants the money paying via bank transfer, not PayPal, and I'm a little uneasy with that because its outside eBay policy, right?

Now I'm sure he's reputable because of his original desire to have me pick the product up, but even then there's no way of really knowing if that's the case, so...

Any advice?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Not sure whats normal in england, but here in germany I have never payed by paypal, always used bank transfer, due to paypal fees and popularity. About half the sellers didn't even list paypal as an option.

If the seller's feedback isn't good you could always wait a few days until you are back from work.

tikan
Apr 30, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

I ended up having to travel for work this week, so the person selling Alien Defense HQ agreed to ship the thing to me, however before he will do that he wants the money paying via bank transfer, not PayPal, and I'm a little uneasy with that because its outside eBay policy, right?

Now I'm sure he's reputable because of his original desire to have me pick the product up, but even then there's no way of really knowing if that's the case, so...

Any advice?

Don't do it. Move on.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

mattfl posted:

Just ordered!

Also, the Black Pearl is currently $87.49. It sometimes dips as low as $79, so it's not as good as it can be, but it is as low as I've seen it since February.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Found this while searching for some non-Lego non-Alien stuff. Thought it was pretty slick.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Via the ThinkGeek FB feed: Lego organ playing the Star Wars theme.

So many scenes on one drum. And of course youtubers complain about it being off-key, as if that matters.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Anyone have the Lego Willis (Sears) tower? If so, what's the exact height?

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
After building and playing 2 games of Battle of Hoth today, it really is sad that unless you are willing to order it from bricklink you can't get it in canada/usa.

The rules are fairly good, and the way the board is laid out and how unit's attack range is worked out. It is kind of like chess. Playing is fun and it pays off when you plan ahead for your AT-AT/Snowspeeder. The first game took us a while just getting used to the rules and were more cooperative when playing then competative and the second game went well. It is easy enough to pickup at first like most lego games.

Now the set itself, the microfiguers are well done and awesome. The pieces for the set is just a lot of plates and 2x2 with a stud the micro AT-AT/SnowSpeeder are cool and the rebels get TaunTaun's and the Imperials AT-ST.

If you like the lego games, and love star wars then you might want to consider spending the $60/70 to try get one imported from the EU. Just keep in mind it has only about 300 pieces of which 32 are the microfigures. They also look great in little mech's as pilots :)

I plan on bricklinking parts and some more microfigures to make some more of the vehicles and make a battle of the hoth microfigure moc after playing with this game.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Merchant of Death posted:

After building and playing 2 games of Battle of Hoth today, it really is sad that unless you are willing to order it from bricklink you can't get it in canada/usa.

I had no idea this existed until this post. This looks awesome! I have to find a way to get this now... :argh:

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Sharkelberry posted:

I had no idea this existed until this post. This looks awesome! I have to find a way to get this now... :argh:

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?q=3866

It cost me about $20 in shipping to canada, and then had to pay the stupid handling fee from customes. I almost didn't get it due to the silly cost but I have spenty money worse ways and considering my past history with lego and not buying stuff when I had the chance and regreting it I coughed up for it. I would of regreted it in a year or so and having to pay a even more insane price for it and I would of paid it. See? I saved money by buying it now!

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Dammit, Lego!

What I am already dubbing the "lost mini-fig series", Lego is releasing a UK exclusive series of 9 mini-figs correlating with the London Olympic Games and dressed in the colors of Great Britain.

Why couldn't each country get their own colors? Oh well. Maybe one of you lovely UK goons could help a stateside brother out...

EDIT: There does seem to be some skepticism out there on whether these are real or not. The box and bag designs look legit but the shot of the mini-figs themselves doesn't look very professional/promotional. Also it's weird that they would mark a UK exclusive set of figures as Series 9.

ireladd fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 14, 2012

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
I would lean towards fake.

There's no mention of Lego on the London 2012 sponsors page, which means they wouldn't be allowed to sell them in the UK.

Edit: Plus that image of the box is not the standard Lego image. It's a photoshop, one packet inside the box copied over and over. The box images of the other series are actual box shots.

Digital War fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 14, 2012

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

7thBatallion posted:

Anyone have the Lego Willis (Sears) tower? If so, what's the exact height?

Less than a foot, eyeballing it across my desk. It's like eighty pieces or so.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yeah I'm leaning towards fake too. None of those are wearing the official Team GB uniforms. Considering how much fanfare we had unveiling the new uniforms, it would seem rather amiss to not have them on these minifigs, were they real.

Shame though, I'd get that swimmer dude for my other half (he's a swimming instructor).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.
I'm about to leave for a LEGO convention in Ljubljana, Slovenia. Should be interesting~