Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

SkunkDuster posted:

It has been a while since I watched it, but wasn't Alonzo just using Jake to frame him for the murder of the old guy so that none of his real crew would get in trouble?

He's framed, but as "Jake killed him in self defense after the old guy opens fire and wounds one of Alonzo's squad", which Alonzo promises will get Jake the Medal of Valor. They still do it so he's involved as an accessory to murder, but it's set up to be mutually beneficial to everybody except the dead guy in the chair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Serendipitaet posted:

In Sexy Beast, what's the significance of the scene after the orgy where Teddy/Ian McShane is in a shower/the steam bath?? Is he having sex with Harry?

Yes, he uses sex to get into Harry's good graces; in fact I think it's implied that Teddy lets Harry mistake his sexual dominance for having the upper hand in the relationship. It's been alleged that there is real life precedent for London gangsters exploiting the Establishment via homosexual affairs, plus the sexual element to the whole alpha-male nature of gangsterism is a running theme for the film in general.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

I keep seeing pictures (and screenshots) of a "river ghost" alien that chases Topher Grace (Edwin) in Predators. I saw that movie twice and have absolutely no recollection of anything of the sort, but there it is in screenshots.

Please tell me this was some deleted scene and I am not crazy?? The design is really cool, and I would not believe it if I actually didn't remember that scene.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Post the pics and we'll have a look

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
I had no idea they were called 'river ghosts' or why they would be called that.

I thought there were just 2 races of Predators, the tough ones and the pussies, and everything else on that planet was just dropped off for the hunt. The 'river ghost' was the prey dropped off before the humans were dropped and maybe their was one 'river ghost' left over.

EDIT: http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/River_Ghost

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Screen shots at bottom of this thread:

http://www.thehunterslair.com/topic/18713-the-alien-in-predators/

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

I had no idea they were called 'river ghosts' or why they would be called that.

I thought there were just 2 races of Predators, the tough ones and the pussies, and everything else on that planet was just dropped off for the hunt. The 'river ghost' was the prey dropped off before the humans were dropped and maybe their was one 'river ghost' left over.

EDIT: http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/River_Ghost

Correct, it was just prey, but where the heck was it in the film? I never recall it happening, but if you look at my link, it shows Topher running from it. Weird!

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

ZenMaster posted:

Screen shots at bottom of this thread:
http://www.thehunterslair.com/topic/18713-the-alien-in-predators/
Correct, it was just prey, but where the heck was it in the film? I never recall it happening, but if you look at my link, it shows Topher running from it. Weird!

Yea I don't remember that exact scene either... but I do remember the being.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

penismightier posted:

Okay here's a question the Prometheus thread made me think of:

When, why, and how did it become the norm for a sci-fi film to reveal plot twists and detailed images of its production design in the build-up to its release? I guess it was kinda hot in the '50s when they all plastered their monster on the poster, but the complexity and depth of it now seems like a strange new development.

I agree that BWP probably marked the start of the modern approach since it benefited so much from internet hype.

As for the WHY with sci-fi films, I think at least a part of it is because genre films rely so much on community word of mouth now and that community is so well connected. A good example that comes to mind is how a film can live and die by how well it tests at Comic-Con. Sci-Fi and Horror fans are really fickle, and winning them over with cool production design previews is a smart move.

Back in the BWP days, you had to impress Harry Knowles (and he certainly helped BWP). Now you can play the field and impress a bunch of anonymous already excitable fans at a convention or film festival instead and generate the same kind of hype.

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong about this either -- I just think maybe that's where it comes from now.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

ZenMaster posted:

It's the scene right before they meet Laurence Fishburne, they try setting a trap with Topher as bait, only that thing shows up instead.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

wyoming posted:

It's the scene right before they meet Laurence Fishburne, they try setting a trap with Topher as bait, only that thing shows up instead.

Wasn't it supposed to be a version of the original, rejected, Jean-Claude Van Damne Predator?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Does a copy of Being Human with no voice-over or happy ending exist?

swimgus
Oct 24, 2005
Camlin bought me this account because I'm a Jew!
I just watched The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo trilogy on Netflix. It was pretty good, but I somehow missed the reason the Section was protecting Zalachenko in the first place. They went through a whole ton of poo poo to try to cover up a KGB agent who defected 40 years ago. I feel like the whole thing won't make sense unless I know why Zalachenko was so important.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Dp

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 20, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It's been a while, but I also dont remember anything more than a very general "he has a lot of useful info" and not anything in specific

They kind of painted themselves into a corner and had to keep covering up things as time went on

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
In Evil Dead 2 when Ash fights his hand, is there a gag where it tries to poke him in the eyes but he blocks it by putting his other hand up to block it (like the three stooges do)? I could swear that was in there but when I watched it last week I didn't see it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

foodfight posted:

In Evil Dead 2 when Ash fights his hand, is there a gag where it tries to poke him in the eyes but he blocks it by putting his other hand up to block it (like the three stooges do)? I could swear that was in there but when I watched it last week I didn't see it.

You might be remembering that from Army of Darkness, where it definitely happens.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

It's the scene in Army of Darkness where the skeleton arms are poking up from the ground and grabbing him.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

caiman posted:

It's the scene in Army of Darkness where the skeleton arms are poking up from the ground and grabbing him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awrem5pfhBk

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
thanks everyone.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
In Evil Dead 2 the hand does give him the finger though.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

foodfight posted:

I watched this on DVD recently and the extras had a 30 minute behind the scenes program and Sam Raimi was doing that a lot with some of the crew. That could possibly be what you remember.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Sam Raimi, Ted Raimi, Bruce Campbell & Co are all HUGE fans of The Three Stooges. Hence referring to nameless characters in the credits as FAKE SHEMPS, etc, etc, etc.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I don't know where else to ask this, does anyone know a good solution to watching 3d movies with glasses? Like are there any good clip on 3d glasses or maybe something simpler with the way you position them? I'm looking for something cheap, so no prescription 3d glasses.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Liar Lyre posted:

I don't know where else to ask this, does anyone know a good solution to watching 3d movies with glasses? Like are there any good clip on 3d glasses or maybe something simpler with the way you position them? I'm looking for something cheap, so no prescription 3d glasses.

False nose. Add notches if necessary.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Liar Lyre posted:

I remember finding these a while back. I'm not recommending them, since I haven't tried them, but if I get an amazon.com order going some day (I'm in Canada, so I have to plan it with any amazing sales since amazon.ca sucks for those kinds of deals), I may throw in a pair or two with my shipment and see if they work out.

Or you can be the guinea pig instead.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Liar Lyre posted:

I'm curious about this, because I have glasses and have never had an issue with just wearing the 3D glasses over my regular glasses. Glasses glasses.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

I like the Imax goggles cos those fit over my glasses, but still makes it weird with there being another pane.

The Real-D fake Ray Bans are awful. They're smaller than my glasses and it's just a pain.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This may not really be a question for this thread, but has 3-D turned out to be a popular gimmick in its current incarnation? Aside from Avatar, I can't think of many exceptionally popular movies that use 3-D--yet there are quite a few notable failures that get post-filming conversions that people complain about. Does it make more money for studios or will be free of it soon?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jack Gladney posted:

This may not really be a question for this thread, but has 3-D turned out to be a popular gimmick in its current incarnation? Aside from Avatar, I can't think of many exceptionally popular movies that use 3-D--yet there are quite a few notable failures that get post-filming conversions that people complain about. Does it make more money for studios or will be free of it soon?

I'm pretty sure most if not all of the movies featured here have had 3D versions.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

mojo1701a posted:

I remember finding these a while back. I'm not recommending them, since I haven't tried them, but if I get an amazon.com order going some day (I'm in Canada, so I have to plan it with any amazing sales since amazon.ca sucks for those kinds of deals), I may throw in a pair or two with my shipment and see if they work out.

Or you can be the guinea pig instead.
you know what, they're cheap enough and I have some extra cash. I'll try them out an report back.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

swimgus posted:

I just watched The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo trilogy on Netflix. It was pretty good, but I somehow missed the reason the Section was protecting Zalachenko in the first place. They went through a whole ton of poo poo to try to cover up a KGB agent who defected 40 years ago. I feel like the whole thing won't make sense unless I know why Zalachenko was so important.

He was important because Swedish Secret Service cleaned up a lot of his crimes (including the crime which resulted in the girl being sectioned) and kept his existence a complete secret. It had to stay completely secret too so that even when they cut him loose because he had no more intel, they had to maintain the shroud of secrecy around him.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Jack Gladney posted:

Films in 3d are super successful. Whether that's because a movie that's likely to be successful is more likely to get the 3d treatment, or because 3d increases its popularity is unclear, but the extra expense of 3d tickets has contributed a lot to the sudden explosion in box office totals in the last few years so it's not going anywhere soon.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DeimosRising posted:

Films in 3d are super successful. Whether that's because a movie that's likely to be successful is more likely to get the 3d treatment, or because 3d increases its popularity is unclear, but the extra expense of 3d tickets has contributed a lot to the sudden explosion in box office totals in the last few years so it's not going anywhere soon.

There is also significant pressure from the home electronics industry to produce 3D content for all those fancy 3D TVs that aren't selling nearly as fast as they'd like.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I'd say that it's too early to tell if 3D is here to stay.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm more worried about the surge in re-releases and high profile releases converted to 3-D. There's something wrong when a studio finds it "impractical" to shoot The Avengers in 3-D, yet Paul W. Anderson is able to use it on The Three Musketeers.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
In the film Cobra, Sylvester Stallone bumps into another car thats blocking his and a Spanish guy gets out and remonstrates with him and Stallone tears his shirt (the Spanish guy's) and the Spanish guy has like a wire taped to his chest so he is an informer is that right?

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~
I want to know where I can buy or view some old asian movies. I am talking late 50's to 80's movies. Stuff like Prince of Space. I find something particularly charming about them and need to get it out of my system. I am sorry if this counts as :filez: or something.

ants on my cum rag fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 22, 2012

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Breath Ray posted:

In the film Cobra, Sylvester Stallone bumps into another car thats blocking his and a Spanish guy gets out and remonstrates with him and Stallone tears his shirt (the Spanish guy's) and the Spanish guy has like a wire taped to his chest so he is an informer is that right?

I haven't seen Cobra, but this is generally how Hollywood says "he's wearing a wire!"

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Glass Joe posted:

I haven't seen Cobra, but this is generally how Hollywood says "he's wearing a wire!"

Well yeah but there are no ramifications or maybe Stallone was friends with him all along or something. But it's a really bad film and nobody can shoot straight and they come at the hero one at a time on motorbikes without drawing their guns and the screenplay is by Stallone and it shows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Breath Ray posted:

Well yeah but there are no ramifications or maybe Stallone was friends with him all along or something. But it's a really bad film and nobody can shoot straight and they come at the hero one at a time on motorbikes without drawing their guns and the screenplay is by Stallone and it shows

and he cuts pizza with scissors.