Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a rowdy mullet
Feb 12, 2009
I'm seriously considering purchasing an '08 or 09' Legacy-i. I know it's the base 2.5 engine, but I seriously can't find a GT or 3.0 in the Seattle area with reasonable mileage in my budget (up to $17k). What kind of performance can i expect compared to the upscale models?

Also feel free to convince me otherwise :ohdear:

a rowdy mullet fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

a rowdy mullet posted:

I'm seriously considering purchasing an '08 or 09' Legacy-i. I know it's the base 2.5 engine, but I seriously can't find a GT or 3.0 in the Seattle area with reasonable mileage in my budget (up to $17k). What kind of performance can i expect compared to the upscale models?

A lot less.

a rowdy mullet
Feb 12, 2009

Amandyke posted:

A lot less.

I'm upgrading from a 1996 Corolla so I'm not too worried :)

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
I know people will disagree with me, but I really see no point to getting a non-turbo Subaru if you care about performance at all. If performance is even slightly important to you, I'd wait until a turbo model pops up for sale. You'll seriously regret it the moment you ride in a turbo version of your slow car. Basically, it's worth the wait.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
The 2.5 has good low end torque and absolutely zero top end power, it's like an inverse turbo power band. My experience is from driving an older, manual trans 2.5RS, so the heavier Legacy is probably a good bit slower.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

a rowdy mullet posted:

Can you test drive any of them? Seriously, think long and hard about what you're looking for in this car.

Yes, the turbo is faster in the sense that you'll get up to speed quicker. Both cruise at highway speeds perfectly fine. The non-turbo uses cheaper fuel. If you're buying used, remember turbos are wear items. Don't expect to be modding the NA motor at all.

Oh, and they're both equally capable in the snow.

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 12, 2012

a rowdy mullet
Feb 12, 2009
I'm more worried about commiting to shelling out for premium gas and more of it than the lack of HP.

Another thing - I've driven manuals but never owned one. Is it worth it to try and learn on this car?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

a rowdy mullet posted:

Another thing - I've driven manuals but never owned one. Is it worth it to try and learn on this car?
Absolutely. Definitely get a stick shift for the test drive so you can get a feel for the clutch and shifter.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Absolutely. Definitely get a stick shift for the test drive so you can get a feel for the clutch and shifter.

And so you can tear up someone else's clutch as you learn how not to slip the clutch at 5500 rpm :)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

a rowdy mullet posted:

You should buy a plain ticket and get what you want.
The 2.5i isn't terrible (A pretty good car), but if you want a GT it is slow as hell.
If you don't believe me, go to Legacygt.com and see how many people ask about turbo kits for their NAs (or engine swaps)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

blargle posted:

The 2.5 has good low end torque and absolutely zero top end power, it's like an inverse turbo power band. My experience is from driving an older, manual trans 2.5RS, so the heavier Legacy is probably a good bit slower.

The power band for the 2.5L changed a little bit in 2006 (except for the Baja). I don't remember all the details besides it went from 165hp to about 173hp.
I don't mind the 2.5 in an Impreza at all, though I've only driven a legacy once.

SweetJuicyTaco
Jun 17, 2007
sour cream on my beef

nm posted:

You should buy a plain ticket and get what you want.
The 2.5i isn't terrible (A pretty good car), but if you want a GT it is slow as hell.
If you don't believe me, go to Legacygt.com and see how many people ask about turbo kits for their NAs (or engine swaps)

This is a good idea. When I was looking for my used STi, the northwest coast had some of the highest prices, along with the rocky mountain corridor. Try Texas or Florida, or the east coast for cheaper prices.

Alphius
Nov 5, 2009
Deals are out there even on GTs. I live in Western Washington, and Subaru prices are pretty much higher here than anywhere else in the US.

The other day I found a 45k mile, original owner, dealer maintained with records beautiful 06 Legacy GT sedan in black for 15k. The only thing keeping me from going and buying it was the 5EAT auto, but still it wouldn't have been a bad car. It sold fast too.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

a rowdy mullet posted:

Check this: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/2954340854.html
'06 GT with only 56K, 5MT. No price is listed but it should be well within your budget (15K tops, maybe less, unless prices are ridiculous in your area).

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Why did Subaru never bring over the Exiga?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Cream_Filling posted:

I honestly think the people who buy Crosstours and Venzas would find that even uglier.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

kimbo305 posted:

I honestly think the people who buy Crosstours and Venzas would find that even uglier.

The Venza isn't particularly ugly, is it? Other than being kind of fat.

Dunno, it still looks better than the current-gen Legacy Wagon.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on positioning of wideband O2 on a catless downpipe. Invidia sells this downpipe with an extra bung already on it (http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Invidia-V2-Downpipe-Bellmouth-w-2-Bungs-Subaru-WRX-STI-2002-2007-Forester-XT-2004-2008), but it seems pretty close to the turbo. Other option is obviously getting the other pipe and getting a bung welded in farther down the pipe.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
ideally it should be farther away from the turbo but people get away with using that first bung. far away from the turbo will greatly increase sensor longevity, but it doesn't effect the reading much. You could add a bung, or just leave the rear sensor out and kill the code because it's going to come on with a catless DP anyway.

Alphius
Nov 5, 2009
My wideband is at the end of a Helix catless downpipe and the response is pretty slow at lower RPM and in around-town driving, I see about a half second delay between doing something that would affect AFR and the corresponding gauge movement. When I'm really going after it though, with lots of exhaust flow, it seems to respond much faster.

Put it in the second bung. ;)

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
What's that little round thing for on the outrigger portion of the rear subframe?

This GC rear has them but my Bugeye wagon doesn't (but has a spot for them to be bolted on).

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Sockington posted:

What's that little round thing for on the outrigger portion of the rear subframe?

This GC rear has them but my Bugeye wagon doesn't (but has a spot for them to be bolted on).

Noise/vibration isolator thingy.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Also, Jamal, when are you going to have a website for me to buy things on. I'm sad TIC doesn't give me army dudes anymore and you gave me way cooler poo poo with the stuff I bought from you anyways....

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I'm looking to purchase an '04-06ish Forester soon. It'll be my daily driver and will have to traverse northern Alberta from the frozen prairies into the frozen mountains. I'm going to avoid the XT's because I don't want to pay for premium gas.

1. Are there any known issues with these cars I should look out for during a look-over? Specific maintenance that should definitely be done, above and beyond normal used car stuff (oil changes, timing belts, etc)?

2. A google adsense ad popped up for GForce Chips while I was looking around and I had to ask - how realistic are those numbers and is this a reputable company who won't steal my credit card information and mail me a bent paperclip that will grenade my Forester?

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DrakeriderCa posted:

I'm looking to purchase an '04-06ish Forester soon. It'll be my daily driver and will have to traverse northern Alberta from the frozen prairies into the frozen mountains. I'm going to avoid the XT's because I don't want to pay for premium gas.

10 gallons of premium costs like $2 more than regular...

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Cream_Filling posted:

We already have to jack the wagon a few inches up (Outback). Another wagon probably wouldn't fly.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Slow is Fast posted:

Also, Jamal, when are you going to have a website for me to buy things on. I'm sad TIC doesn't give me army dudes anymore and you gave me way cooler poo poo with the stuff I bought from you anyways....

I do have a website, but I've been lazy about adding parts: functionauto.com

you want to contact me directly anyway because I give better pricing than what's listed to people on here. I have a line card that is linked on the main page and it's not limited to just subaru.

jamal fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Apr 14, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

DrakeriderCa posted:

That's too bad. There's a low miles '04 in Edmonton for $12k right now (PM me if you want a link). Premium gas isn't that much more expensive per tank than regular gas, so you should definitely consider it. What is more expensive is the 4.44 rear end on the Forester XT but you could slap a more economical map on it (from one of our many fine Southern Alberta tuners) and drive like a pansy when you want to save on fuel. The nicest thing about a turbo is that it doesn't lose power as elevation increases, which is something that I'd definitely consider a boon going way up into the Rockies.

Early 2.5L non-turbo Foresters have a head gasket issue, but it was likely fixed by '04. Get an inspection done that includes a compression test.

I doubt those "GForce Chips" actually work. If anything, they just try to trick the car's intake into reporting more air than there actually is, which is a pretty dangerous thing to do. If you're looking for performance out of a non-turbo Subaru, put a turbo in it. Anything else is not the best use of money, though I'm sure Techworks would have some awesome cams to wake the car up.

At the very least you owe it to yourself to test drive an XT. The regular Forester is a fantastic car that will be reliable, fun and useful, but the turbo one takes that and then adds a laugh riot.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 14, 2012

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Can anyone recommend some good Subaru shops/dealerships/autocross/useful info for the Denver area? I'm moving back to next weekend, and now we have a 2010 OBS and a 2011 STi.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

That's too bad. There's a low miles '04 in Edmonton for $12k right now (PM me if you want a link). Premium gas isn't that much more expensive per tank than regular gas, so you should definitely consider it. What is more expensive is the 4.44 rear end on the Forester XT but you could slap a more economical map on it (from one of our many fine Southern Alberta tuners) and drive like a pansy when you want to save on fuel. The nicest thing about a turbo is that it doesn't lose power as elevation increases, which is something that I'd definitely consider a boon going way up into the Rockies.

Early 2.5L non-turbo Foresters have a head gasket issue, but it was likely fixed by '04. Get an inspection done that includes a compression test.

I doubt those "GForce Chips" actually work. If anything, they just try to trick the car's intake into reporting more air than there actually is, which is a pretty dangerous thing to do. If you're looking for performance out of a non-turbo Subaru, put a turbo in it. Anything else is not the best use of money, though I'm sure Techworks would have some awesome cams to wake the car up.

At the very least you owe it to yourself to test drive an XT. The regular Forester is a fantastic car that will be reliable, fun and useful, but the turbo one takes that and then adds a laugh riot.

That's great info, thanks. In the future I won't discount XT's. Is the '04 the white one? It looks nice but the "5th gear chirps" has me a little worried.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

DrakeriderCa posted:

That's great info, thanks. In the future I won't discount XT's. Is the '04 the white one? It looks nice but the "5th gear chirps" has me a little worried.
That's the one. I'm not sure what he means by a 'chirp' because I haven't experienced it in my own 5-speed. My guess is that the synchronizer is a little worn out on that gear, which is a weird place for it to happen since I usually see that on 2nd or 3rd. New fluid might help as fifth is not as well lubricated as the lower four gears, so running the gear oil low would cause it to grind.

One gets posted about once a month, so if you don't need to buy one right away you can sit on it. It's a fairly rare car as far as turbo Subarus go as they didn't build as many of them as WRXes (according to rumour; no solid production numbers exist that I know of).

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 14, 2012

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Where do people buy stock front 2011 STi bumpers? Piece of crap cracked on a cone at autocross.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

That's the one. I'm not sure what he means by a 'chirp' because I haven't experienced it in my own 5-speed. My guess is that the synchronizer is a little worn out on that gear, which is a weird place for it to happen since I usually see that on 2nd or 3rd. New fluid might help as fifth is not as well lubricated as the lower four gears, so running the gear oil low would cause it to grind.

One gets posted about once a month, so if you don't need to buy one right away you can sit on it. It's a fairly rare car as far as turbo Subarus go as they didn't build as many of them as WRXes (according to rumour; no solid production numbers exist that I know of).

Would that require service soon? One of my stipulations is "must be as absolutely reliable as possible because I'm cheap and lazy".

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Where do people buy stock front 2011 STi bumpers? Piece of crap cracked on a cone at autocross.
Really?
Old (2005) subaru bumpers are pretty indestructible. Would bounce off stuff that shattered audi bumpers.

DrakeriderCa posted:

Would that require service soon? One of my stipulations is "must be as absolutely reliable as possible because I'm cheap and lazy".
In that case, I might avoid a turbo.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

nm posted:

Really?
Old (2005) subaru bumpers are pretty indestructible. Would bounce off stuff that shattered audi bumpers.

Not the first time I've heard the latter STI's front bumpers are brittle.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

nm posted:

Really?

Unfortunately, really. Who uses three pointer cones? There is a three inch crack in the lower center, nearly dead center, below the radiator. It caused the bumper cover to snap a couple of those lovely push pins partway out where it connects to the fender, not really noticeable and I just pushed them back in. Initial assay seemed fine save the crack.

Could I have hosed anything major up? Are there specific places I need to look at? I'll take the bumper cover off tomorrow. Could it be totaled? I'd like that to be a joke but who knew cones would crack my bumper. I'm worried about damage that wouldn't be apparent at a glance.

Edit to add: speed maybe 30-45 mph. Two turns were back to back "drift"-able (fuckin awesome the first three runs) but on the second turn on my last run the car was sliding on the same line as before with the nose pointed to the cones I was about to deliver some tofu behind and it hooked up and sent me straight into all four cones. They went everywhere.

THE BLACK NINJA fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 15, 2012

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Got the vf39 tuned today. I know it doesn't pull quite as hard early on, but holy poo poo it pulls like a freight train to redline compared to my tired td04.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
The front bumper on my 09 STI cracked near the same place from hitting a single piece of cardboard in the road. It's just super thin, lovely quality plastic.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Unfortunately, really. Who uses three pointer cones? There is a three inch crack in the lower center, nearly dead center, below the radiator. It caused the bumper cover to snap a couple of those lovely push pins partway out where it connects to the fender, not really noticeable and I just pushed them back in. Initial assay seemed fine save the crack.

Could I have hosed anything major up? Are there specific places I need to look at? I'll take the bumper cover off tomorrow. Could it be totaled? I'd like that to be a joke but who knew cones would crack my bumper. I'm worried about damage that wouldn't be apparent at a glance.

Edit to add: speed maybe 30-45 mph. Two turns were back to back "drift"-able (fuckin awesome the first three runs) but on the second turn on my last run the car was sliding on the same line as before with the nose pointed to the cones I was about to deliver some tofu behind and it hooked up and sent me straight into all four cones. They went everywhere.
If they're that lovely, I might consider just keeping the cracked one if you're going to be auto-xing regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

Nope, my '06 had a bad head gasket at about 65K. The problem is the open deck, the fix is a different kind of block. Other than that, they're pretty solid machines.