Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

coldplay chiptunes posted:

That requires you to use the keyboard. :colbert:
keep it in the dock, use launchpad or don't eat/masturbate while launching applications

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
What's a good app for auto-tagging a bunch of music? TuneUp Media looks good but is quite pricey, what are good alternatives?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Can anyone recommend an image organizer?

I have a lot of scientific images that I'd like to tag by content, then be able to quickly sort and retrieve. Like for example if I have a folder of images I'd like to be able to tag them with "crystal" and "oven 1" and "oven 2", maybe tag them with the name of the student who grew the crystal, the ability to tag the image with the specific materials that went into growing the crystal, etc. Then ideally something that would let me narrow down a search by keywords.

Also since these images are dumped to a central location via an automated process I would love for the app to be able to show me all untagged images so I can have students go in and categorize new images.

So pretty something like Lightroom, but Lightroom is way overkill for what I need and I'm not sure if it can filter by images with NO tags. I know you can now pare down Lightroom to just include the library module, but I'd still love to see what else is out there.

I'm having trouble articulating exactly what it is I need which is usually a death sentence for recommendations, but hopefully you guys get the gist of what I want.

dabre_aiamim
Oct 23, 2008
Lipstick Apathy

Martytoof posted:

Can anyone recommend an image organizer?

I have a lot of scientific images that I'd like to tag by content, then be able to quickly sort and retrieve. Like for example if I have a folder of images I'd like to be able to tag them with "crystal" and "oven 1" and "oven 2", maybe tag them with the name of the student who grew the crystal, the ability to tag the image with the specific materials that went into growing the crystal, etc. Then ideally something that would let me narrow down a search by keywords.

Also since these images are dumped to a central location via an automated process I would love for the app to be able to show me all untagged images so I can have students go in and categorize new images.

So pretty something like Lightroom, but Lightroom is way overkill for what I need and I'm not sure if it can filter by images with NO tags. I know you can now pare down Lightroom to just include the library module, but I'd still love to see what else is out there.

I'm having trouble articulating exactly what it is I need which is usually a death sentence for recommendations, but hopefully you guys get the gist of what I want.

I've used Leap for things like this. There is an option for 'show untagged files', 'show tagged files', etc. I have the old non-appstore version, but I could provide screenshots if you need a better idea on how it works.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

dabre_aiamim posted:

I've used Leap for things like this. There is an option for 'show untagged files', 'show tagged files', etc. I have the old non-appstore version, but I could provide screenshots if you need a better idea on how it works.

This actually looks PERFECT for my needs. Thank you so much! Since it's not my dime I'll chance the $20 on the app-store description and screenshots, and your non-tag testimony :)

dabre_aiamim
Oct 23, 2008
Lipstick Apathy

Martytoof posted:

This actually looks PERFECT for my needs. Thank you so much! Since it's not my dime I'll chance the $20 on the app-store description and screenshots, and your non-tag testimony :)

It's really nice, but do be warned that if you start doing lots of tagging/toggling visibility with more than 20,000 files at a time it gets a bit slow.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I might be working with numbers half that large, but then again compared to my current solution of "hey I hope you remember what this image you took half a year ago is of" it is a godsend. Thanks again!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

TremorX posted:

I hate to bring up Flashback again, but... Java for OS X 2012-003 is out today, and apparently removed it from my system.

I have XCode installed, and I ran the Terminal commands just this morning to see if I was infected and they came back clean. So, I'm guessing it's probable that the terminal bit has been inconclusive all along, and that XCode isn't as immunizing as previously thought?
Well remember that there's been other Flashback trojans before the big recent one, and those went through different vectors and shown different signs of infection, like I vaguely remember /Users/Shared/ being used for one of the variants. You may have fallen for one of the previous fake Flash installer/updaters at some point a while back, maybe something else :iiam:.

...whatever the case I have to get my sister's computer updated, she's still on 10.5.8 and there's no security fix for that :tinfoil:. I was going to just turn off Java but it looked like her recruiting site used some Java based setup :doh:.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Macintosh posted:

I definitely remember in the update notes saying something about Flashback.

Yes, the update notes mentioned that Flashback would be removed if detected. That doesn't mean that is was; the update was installed regardless of whether you were actually infected because it also closed the vulnerability.

edit for clarity:
The update both patches the exploit and removes Flashback if it is found. The question is whether a user is notified if Flashback is detected and removed, or if the update just does all of its work silently.

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 14, 2012

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Martytoof posted:

Pff.. The easiest way:

Once I discovered that Command+Space opens up Spotlight, I rarely even launch poo poo from the dock anymore. You learn not to use the mouse :colbert:

Like right now, I'm typing with two hands on the keyboard. My wife asks me "Hey Astro, what's 128x72?"
Command+Space
Calc [enter]
128 * 72 [Enter]
[command+q]

Back into Safari typing my post.

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

Only registered members can see post attachments!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Panic! At The cisco posted:

This is the sound of my jaw hitting the ground

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Ctrl-cmd-space, 'ronal', this is what I get:

Alfred is awesome.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Oneiros posted:

Yes, the update notes mentioned that Flashback would be removed if detected. That doesn't mean that is was; the update was installed regardless of whether you were actually infected because it also closed the vulnerability.

edit for clarity:
The update both patches the exploit and removes Flashback if it is found. The question is whether a user is notified if Flashback is detected and removed, or if the update just does all of its work silently.

Browsing the thread on macrumors it looks like there is some notification if it's been found and cleaned, but nobody posted a screenshot of it

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

Martytoof posted:

Pff.. The easiest way:

pff cmd+space =

<3 Alfred

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Pff… I still prefer Quicksilver.

⌘⌘ ftw!

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005
Quicksilver rocks. I've said this before, but it's been getting a lot of attention these days from some new devs and is worth checking out.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Anyone here use Playback for streaming? To PS3 specifically. Mine was working alright until my PS3 shat itself while playing streamed music and now Playback finds the PS3 and a second streaming device but neither recognizes Playback. Usually when that happens, restarting Playback or one of the devices does the trick but no dice this time around. I have a fairly old version of Playback due to there being some reports of the newest version being slightly lovely with its own issues and since this version worked fine up until now.

Now I have to use PS3 Media Server which is poo poo for music because it doesn't support iTunes playlists (like Playback) and most videos are out because MEncoder cooks up my Mac's processor like a motherfucker when streaming. :(

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Alfred is so much better than Spotlight!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Mr Man posted:

Alfred is so much better than Spotlight!

Unless you're talking about the GUI for it...

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
In Alfred, pressing enter copies the result to the clipboard, letting you immediately use it in some other app, if you need it. Spotlight just opens the calculator without even dumping the result in. It also finds a whole bunch of other crap, in some cases:

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

You can drag the Calc result out of Spotlight and it creates a text clipping with the answer.

This is the only good thing I will ever say about Spotlight. :colbert:

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin
I just found out that you can't use shift to type a lowercase character when capslock is on.

This is absolutely astonishing to me. I can't even begin to fathom why such a logical feature was overlooked.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can't begin to fathom why capslock is still a thing.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Martytoof posted:

A lot of designers and architects and stuff have to do things in caps.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Annoying thing about the calculator in Spotlight is that (unless they changed something) when you press return on the result it just opens Calculator, without putting in your calculation or result in there.

In Flashback news, Apple put up a standalone removal tool for those that don't have Java installed (since Flashback came in vectors other than Java before, and the last update only showed up if you had Java):
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1517

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Good, it's not just me. Besides eBay and Craigslist auctions, I don't see it used anymore. (Or Macro pictures I guess).

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin

IUG posted:

Good, it's not just me. Besides eBay and Craigslist auctions, I don't see it used anymore. (Or Macro pictures I guess).

You don't "see" it being used because... who types in caps?

That doesn't mean that people don't use caps lock for a million other reasons (programming and passwords in my case). By your logic we should just remove the caps lock key all together.

I just thought it was really odd that a modern day OS lacks that functionality. I was legitimately surprised and I thought my shift key was broken for a minute.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I actually do think we ought to remove the key and just replace it with some software options. I like hitting shift twice, or hitting both shift keys to toggle caps lock.

I mean I'm obviously just making poo poo up here, but until I learned that people actually have a valid use for caps lock those were my two suggestions for how to get rid of that drat button.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

A lot of designers and architects and stuff have to do things in caps.

Dont they use small caps though? The font setting where things are all capital, but if you use shift its larger than without?

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
If you're a designer and using caps lock to set type instead of using a paragraph or character style, you're a scrub.

Bind caps lock into something useful, like a TextMate trigger.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I've had to use all caps for summarizing points as headings in a few writing assignments. I'm not sure if that's standard practice or just part of the whole "Times at 12pt" writing constraints.

Also, back around 10.4, the default Italian keyboard map was the old italian typewriter layout (which is now actually called "Italian Typewriter." Since that's the layout I taught myself to use, I use it out of habit. An interesting quirk of this layout is that the number key's default, non-shifted characters are a variety of punctuation and accented characters, e.g. &"'(çè)£àé is 1–0. If you shift them, then you get the numbers. However, in caps-lock mode, it acts like caps lock on a typewriter, so you get capital letters, as well as numbers where you'd expect them! It's a pretty cool little feature.

So yeah, I think caps lock is ok. It's just another typewriter-related artifact, like qwerty.

Also, I'd imagine that designers and architects (and people who care about typography) would use an actual small-caps font, rather than have word touch your characters in bad ways.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Brady posted:

That doesn't mean that people don't use caps lock for a million other reasons (programming and passwords in my case). By your logic we should just remove the caps lock key all together.
I PROGRAM EVERYTHING IN COBOL USING AN EDITOR FROM THE 50S AND MY PASSWORD IS ABCDE.

If you really need caps lock for your programming language(s) or your passwords, I'm willing to bet that neither are any good.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I bet graphic designers use caps lock a lot.

ALL CAPS
EVEN WITH LITTLE WORDS

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin

flavor posted:

If you really need caps lock for your programming language(s) or your passwords, I'm willing to bet that neither are any good.

Because when I said that I use caps lock what I meant was that I absolutely NEED it otherwise I am lost without it. :rolleyes:

It's interesting there's so much hate for the key itself though. Replacing caps lock with software options and binding the key to something more useful sounds neat.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Brady posted:

Because when I said that I use caps lock what I meant was that I absolutely NEED it otherwise I am lost without it. :rolleyes:

It's interesting there's so much hate for the key itself though. Replacing caps lock with software options and binding the key to something more useful sounds neat.

CAD users are too dumb to realize that. And 'designers' are like CAD scrubs.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Can a single machine use multiple Time Machine destinations? For example, I have my girlfriend trained to plug in her external hard drive every once in a while and Time Machine does its thing. However, I'd also like to get her laptop using my Time Capsule whenever she brings her computer over so we have an extra layer of protection. I imagine it "just works" if I add my Time Capsule as a Time Machine destination, but I want to make sure it'll continue to use her external as well since that ends up with more frequent snapshots.

Thanks.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Not without reprogramming which drive is your Time Machine drive in System Preferences each time you plug in a new drive. I know CrashPlan has the ability to backup data to multiple destinations in an intelligent manner.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Is it possible to turn off the "feature" where inactive apps are shut down but still look open?
It seems rather buggy to me and I have a good enough machine not to need it so I'd rather disable it entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

~Coxy posted:

Is it possible to turn off the "feature" where inactive apps are shut down but still look open?
It seems rather buggy to me and I have a good enough machine not to need it so I'd rather disable it entirely.

What?