Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny
Dec 31, 2005

ICA posted:

I'm watching Netflix on laptop in the UK. How can I get access to US Netflix?

http://unblock-us.com/ works for me. There are countless VPNs out there that will let you access it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I was all set to watch Doctor Zhivago last night and it turned out to be fullscreen. God, I wish at the very least they would mark it somehow in the description.

VaultAggie posted:

I watched a fantastic documentary tonight called The Dark days. It goes into detail on the homeless people who live in the subway tunnels and how they go about their life and the standards they hold themselves to. I'm a native New Yorker and the underground life in the subway has always fascinated me and just the way they get along with each other, almost forming their own underground community.
It's actually just called Dark Days, but you're right in that it is pretty interesting. I know my roommate at the time said the parts where they talk about how much they hate being homeless felt very forced because they otherwise seemed fine, but I thought it was far more likely that they were fine when they were hanging out with each other but when the camera caught them alone they were stuck thinking about the situation they were in.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There's also an excellent book about the homeless that live in New York City subway tunnels, called The Mole People.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There's also an excellent book about the homeless that live in New York City subway tunnels, called The Mole People.

This is a little off topic, but that book is great if you treat it as fiction. Almost nothing in the book has been substantiated and frankly a lot of it comes off as made-up.

Back on topic, I had a sudden desire to watch Big Fish last night and discovered it's no longer streaming. Headed over to Amazon streaming and their only option is to buy a digital copy for :10bux:.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Baron von Eevl posted:

This is a little off topic, but that book is great if you treat it as fiction. Almost nothing in the book has been substantiated and frankly a lot of it comes off as made-up.

Yeah, this famous Geocities era page goes over it, but the entire book isn't a total confabulation.

Collects Welfare
May 16, 2006

I see what you did there...

I can pick any of these great titles to watch while I wait? Radical!

Every time I see this page (and it's happening more often), it's always the same: no movies to watch. Why do they even bother?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Collects Welfare posted:

I can pick any of these great titles to watch while I wait? Radical!
No, you can only play select titles on that page.

RoughDraft2.0
Mar 8, 2007

We really like your car, Mrs. LaRusso.
Knuckle is now on Streaming, and it's a pretty wonderful documentary about a bunch of warring Irish travelers/gypsies who spend decades in blood feuds with one another, up to and including organized bare-knuckle fights for big money. The director followed one group around for something like 15 years.

Collects Welfare
May 16, 2006

I see what you did there...

IShallRiseAgain posted:

No, you can only play select titles on that page.

That's the point I was making: there are no titles on that page. It's just a gray field.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
I just realized that Beakman's World is streamable. I'm just not sure I'm ready for that level of nostalgia.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Oh I just watched Oldboy since it returned to instant and my god is it a good movie. Why don't we get films like this in the west anymore?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

As long as someone, somewhere is making them - does it matter?

If you liked Oldboy, make sure you see the other two entries in the Vengeance trilogy (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and Lady Vengeance).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

I just realized that Beakman's World is streamable. I'm just not sure I'm ready for that level of nostalgia.

Holy crap.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

How are u posted:

Oh I just watched Oldboy since it returned to instant and my god is it a good movie. Why don't we get films like this in the west anymore?
Oldboy came out in 2003. In the past couple years we have had some great thrillers like Drive, Winter's Bone, Black Swan, or Bad Lieutenant. If you want to go international, there's always The Secret in Their Eyes, A Prophet, and Animal Kingdom. But Korea has has their share of good ones also, like The Chaser, Thirst, Mother, and I Saw the Devil.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Maybe there's just something about honor involving Korean culture that I don't fully get, but I always hated the way Oldboy ended.

For Dae-su to be willing to mutilate himself in a fit of grovelling felt excessive to me considering all he has been through at the hands of that man. I would think that the revelation would have made me even more eager for revenge. Not to mention I couldn't get over the fact that hypnotism does not work like that.

Don't know why it bothered me so much, though, since I have thoroughly enjoyed a ton of thrillers without ever noticing the myriad of ways that certain things come together in a somewhat ridiculous manner.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

kuddles posted:

Maybe there's just something about honor involving Korean culture that I don't fully get, but I always hated the way Oldboy ended.

For Dae-su to be willing to mutilate himself in a fit of grovelling felt excessive to me considering all he has been through at the hands of that man. I would think that the revelation would have made me even more eager for revenge. Not to mention I couldn't get over the fact that hypnotism does not work like that.

Don't know why it bothered me so much, though, since I have thoroughly enjoyed a ton of thrillers without ever noticing the myriad of ways that certain things come together in a somewhat ridiculous manner.

Actually I've always found the ending to be really odd for pretty much the same reason. I just don't think it rings true at all. I mean, its not exactly a realistic movie at any other point but the ending just doesn't work for me at all.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

kuddles posted:

Well he can't really get revenge, because then his daughter will find out as well. I mean that's like explicitly the reason given in the plot.
He is eager for revenge, and breaks out of the grovelling fit at one point to express as much, but it lasts like a second before he's back to trying to protect his daughter from the truth at any cost. That's almost the strongest point, that the protagonist of a revenge movie breaks away from the vengeance that's been building the entire film to grovel for his daughter's sake.

I can see the hypnotism thing bothering you if you're into the subject, like I suppose rocket scientists can get annoyed with sci fi or whatever. I can't really consider it a flaw of the movie, though.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

I understood the reasoning for his actions behind it. That's why I hated it, because it felt wholly unbelievable for the character considering both what he's been through and his behaviour up to that point. It felt more like a good way to add another shocking moment of over-the-top violence.

Also, my problem with hypnosis isn't that they weren't "performing" it correctly or whatever. It's that hynotising somebody so that they will forget something in their history, so that they will be somewhere at a specific time, or that they will be attracted to a specific person are all completely impossible.

Still don't regret watching the film overall, though. And like I said, it's probably just that I noticed it. I loved the hell out of Tell No One when I watched it on Netflix last month, even though in hindsight like most thrillers the story is completely implausible.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 11, 2012

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

kuddles posted:

I understood the reasoning for his actions behind it. That's why I hated it, because it felt wholly unbelievable for the character considering both what he's been through and his behaviour up to that point. It felt more like a good way to add another shocking moment of over-the-top violence.

I can't argue with how it made you feel, obviously, but I'm with Shanty on this one. If you think about it, the man has suffered for 15 years in which he had a lot of time to think about what a lovely father he was before his imprisonment. He seems to regret this, and part of his motive for going on a rampage like that is that he missed his daughter growing up. Why do you feel it is so unbelievable for him to chose his daughter's well-being over a chance of getting - ultimately meaningless - revenge?

Edit:
Fair enough. I think I'll take a look at that thread.
vvvvv

Badly Jester fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 11, 2012

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

I could respond again but I guess this all comes down to how you "think" a character should act in a fictional work so it's an argument that will go nowhere and I don't think I should derail this thread any longer. Based on the Oldboy thread in The Film Dump it appears I'm not alone in my distaste for the ending, though.

Radd McCool
Dec 3, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

I fired up episode one? Think I found the source of my dirty predilection for colorful shirts. I started watching that show religiously when I was like 5 - 6 years old?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So I'm having some MAJOR problems with Netflix on my desktop PC and it only happens on my desktop PC.

I have a 20/2 Mb connection and whenever I try to watch ANYTHING on Netflix I barely get a 0.3 MB streaming rate.

I can't figure out what is wrong with my PC. I've cleared my cache, updated SilverLight, tried disabling Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware and a few other things.

Edit: If this isn't the proper place for this, please point me in the correct direct while laughing at me.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 13, 2012

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

afgrunden posted:

Lately I've been feeling weirdly depressed and need cheering up, can y'all recommend me something clever and light-hearted as gently caress? I've been into Truffaut comedies (Stolen Kisses, The Man Who Loved Women) and Woody Allen (just finished re-watching Annie Hall), so I'm especially interested in stuff along similar lines as these - sweet, hilarious, 60s/70s - but I am open to anything that is witty and not too tragic.

The Young Girls of Rochefort is one of my alltime favs, and I'm also a big Truffaut fan. The entire movie is sung, like a pop opera (to a jazzy score by Michel Legrand), and the leads are played by irl sisters (and sometimes Truffaut acresses) Francoise Dorleac and Catherine Deneuve. It's just a visual treat to watch, and always makes me happy.

I also like Absolute Beginners, mainly for its stylism (and Ray Davies). And if you haven't seen Truffaut's Small Change, definitely watch that: it's sweet and funny and a really wonderful movie about kids living in a small town in France.

casual poster posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for any woman's rights documentaries?

These two docus aren't about the women's rights movement, but each is an amazing film about surviving sexual abuse:

Girl 27, about a woman who was raped while working for a Hollywood studio event, then violated again by the justice system.

Awful Normal, about two adult women (sisters) confronting the family friend who molested them when they were kids.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 14, 2012

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

I noticed they just added Melancholia to Netflix, which I highly enjoyed even though I wasn't a big fan of Von Trier's previous work. While adding I also noticed Uncle Boonmee is available.

People keep talking about the paltry selection on streaming nowadays, but as someone who adds about 4 new movies to my queue everytime I finish watching one I frankly just don't see it.

Willa Rogers posted:

The Young Girls of Rochefort is one of my alltime favs, and I'm also a big Truffaut fan. The entire movie is sung, like a pop opera (to a jazzy score by Michel Legrand), and the leads are played by irl sisters (and sometimes Truffaut acresses) Francoise Dorleac and Catherine Deneuve. It's just a visual treat to watch, and always makes me happy.
This sounds really good. Adding it to the list.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 13, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

kuddles posted:

People keep talking about the paltry selection on streaming nowadays, but as someone who adds about 4 new movies to my queue everytime I finish watching one I frankly just don't see it.

I honestly think it's improved since Starz left.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Most of Starz movies were pretty lovely quality too.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Willa Rogers posted:

I saw this recently (great btw) and was so happy, then found out that Francoise died a few months after the film's release and I got :( again.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Rough Lobster posted:

Reminder: Dead Leaves is on streaming. It's a hilarious, truly bizarre animated movie with loads of style. It's bombastic, crazy, and colorful, with a huge cast of bizarre (and adorable?) mutant people things (maybe) in space jail...it's hard to describe.

I guess it's technically anime, so be aware of that, but the art style is just so out there that I feel like calling it that is doing it a disservice.

It's really worth seeing, if only for the art style and all the goofy little weirdos are inside.

Give it a try if you want.

It's by Gainax too, and it's totally crazy. Nothing ever stops moving. It's seriously 45 minutes of hyperkinetic animation and color, and is exhausting in a good way. I'm glad it's not longer, because I feel like it would wear out its welcome after that point. It's definitely worth a watch though.

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

Into The Abyss came on Instant recently. It is a documentary by Werner Herzog about a double homicide and the cops, criminals, and victims involved.

When I read the title I thought the movie would be awesome, it's a good title. I thought it was referencing death itself. But when I watched the movie I think the title is more meant to reference the famous Nietzche quote. Give it a watch if you like Herzog's other docs, or docs in general. It's incredibly depressing, but very good.

Drewsky fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 13, 2012

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

First off, whoever recommended Take Shelter it was excellent thank you.
Sadly not on streaming atm.

Secondly,

Thanks a bunch Netflix I'm not a fan of your suggestions.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

kuddles posted:

I don't go to movie theaters much, so when I read about a new movie that sounds good I put it into the saved section on Netflix so I'll be reminded of it when it comes out for DVD. For every 30 I save, I'd say maybe 1 or 2 end up on streaming rather than DVD only.

It's not terrible selection, but it is extremely limited, especially with recent stuff.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Just saw Melancholia was added to streaming today. This was my favorite flick of 2011--there are some really beautiful shots and great music. It's definitely not for everyone, but if you like more artistic films or Lars Von Trier in general it's a good one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzD0U841LRM

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So does Portlandia get better? I mean, I love Portland. And ripping on hipsters is always fun even if I may be one. I've only seen the 1st episode and the "put a bird on it," skit. Is it all the same poo poo?

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Christoff posted:

So does Portlandia get better? I mean, I love Portland. And ripping on hipsters is always fun even if I may be one. I've only seen the 1st episode and the "put a bird on it," skit. Is it all the same poo poo?

Portlandia is occupying this weird space to me. On one hand, they used someone other than Portland's crazy mayor to play the mayor, but on the other, they replaced him with Kyle MacLachlan.

Also they did this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVmq9dq6Nsg

Past that I don't think its anything special.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Portlandia throws a lot of poo poo at you and sometimes something will stick and be funny. I watch it to see hipsters get ripped on more than to laugh but every now and then something will hit you just right that keeps you watching

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Portlandia is occupying this weird space to me. On one hand, they used someone other than Portland's crazy mayor to play the mayor, but on the other, they replaced him with Kyle MacLachlan.

I don't know, I think it's pretty funny that the crazy mayor is Mayor Kyle's assistant on the show.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Portlandia is occupying this weird space to me. On one hand, they used someone other than Portland's crazy mayor to play the mayor, but on the other, they replaced him with Kyle MacLachlan..

But Sam Adams played the assistant!

e: well gently caress

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

mod sassinator posted:

Just saw Melancholia was added to streaming today. This was my favorite flick of 2011--there are some really beautiful shots and great music. It's definitely not for everyone, but if you like more artistic films or Lars Von Trier in general it's a good one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzD0U841LRM

Thank you so much for posting this. I kept trying to see it in theaters but was never able to. Now I can sit around in a nihilistic abyss of self-reflection in the comfort of my own lonely bedroom!

But yeah, I'm watching this the first chance I get.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Rough Lobster posted:

Reminder: Dead Leaves is on streaming. It's a hilarious, truly bizarre animated movie with loads of style. It's bombastic, crazy, and colorful, with a huge cast of bizarre (and adorable?) mutant people things (maybe) in space jail...it's hard to describe.

I guess it's technically anime, so be aware of that, but the art style is just so out there that I feel like calling it that is doing it a disservice.

It's really worth seeing, if only for the art style and all the goofy little weirdos are inside.

Give it a try if you want.

Cool flick, just watched it and enjoyed it. Seems like a mix of FLCL and Aeon Flux. Frenetic doesn't even begin to describe the pacing, but it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

I don't know, I think it's pretty funny that the crazy mayor is Mayor Kyle's assistant on the show.

Haha really? drat I should've looked into that. I'm totally fine with this now.

• Locked thread