Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Bonzo posted:

I hate all reality TV but you put Ben Stern as a judge on ANY show and I'll watch the poo poo out it.

I don't watch any reality TV - so I am with you on this. That said, I will be tuning in to AGT for Howard for sure. He was at his funniest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I don't mind all the AGT talk. Superfan roundtable nailed down the fact that I will be watching.

In recent weeks Howard has been on his game even when on only two times.

Zeluth fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 13, 2012

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Kelly posted:

- Howard hit the buzzer on a seven year old rapper and made him cry. Then he went on stage and hugged the poor kid.

I was at the 6:00 taping and one of the acts was a blind BMX rider who did some jumps and it was really funny when Howard immediately hit the buzzer on him.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Greekonomics posted:

I was at the 6:00 taping and one of the acts was a blind BMX rider who did some jumps and it was really funny when Howard immediately hit the buzzer on him.

Ha...that sounds like what happened with the kid. Those are two brutal situations - can't wait to see them on-air.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

It's somehow comforting to know that Ralph is still almost universally hated amongst Stern fans.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world

Greekonomics posted:

Blind BMX rider

Whats with all this riding and jumping with the bikes. Its horrible. You know my mothers sister was taken by the Nazis, and she was pregnant. They took her in the middle of the night and they never saw her again. [/Rae Stern]

Cliche Guevara
Dec 12, 2005
whistlebritches
The story Artie told about his suicide attempt...it's such bullshit to me. Something tells me the real story will be in his book.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Yeah that didn't make a lot of sense. Artie claimed he wanted to lose some blood so he would get lightheaded and sleep? Therefore he needed to cut his stomach to lose the blood (his words) and just accidentally stabbed deeper than he thought?

That's either the craziest junkie behavior or one of the phoniest stories I've ever heard.

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010

Former Human posted:

Yeah that didn't make a lot of sense. Artie claimed he wanted to lose some blood so he would get lightheaded and sleep? Therefore he needed to cut his stomach to lose the blood (his words) and just accidentally stabbed deeper than he thought?

That's either the craziest junkie behavior or one of the phoniest stories I've ever heard.

Well, he is a crazy junkie. So do you think it really was a suicide attempt? I have never done heroin, so I have no idea what it is like or what to think about what happened.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

porkfriedrice posted:

Well, he is a crazy junkie. So do you think it really was a suicide attempt? I have never done heroin, so I have no idea what it is like or what to think about what happened.

His family and friends were on their way to his apartment to have an intervention, so he was obviously at rock bottom and probably high out of his mind. I don't think it's too far of a stretch.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Artie's mom is a Catholic, and they think suicide is a sin, so it's possible he's making the story up to reduce the freakout level on her end. We'll never know. :shrug:

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world

Former Human posted:

Well, the stomach actually makes a little sense for a few reasons. 1) If he was just trying to bleed and not kill himself, the stomach would be the area to do that. No major veins or arteries if you dont go super deep. 2) Its concealable. 3) Its the closest thing to Artie

Artie has tried to kill himself before and survived, I think if he was serious about it he would do it right.

So, this was either insane heroin behavior or a suicidal gesture, but not a full blown attempt.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I believe that he was on enough drugs to think that blood loss is a valid way to induce sleep. The logic is sound on some level, there is just no regard for the consequences.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

He is a fantastic bullshit artist, you have to be to get by when you are using, i speak from experience. I don't think he is up to any hard drugs now but that tale was one of those things you rehearse in your head until you actually start to believe it.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Agree with the above. Don't try to dissect his story, it's likely a fabrication he's spent months upon months rehearsing in his head until he's practically rewritten his memory of the incident.

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP
I don't think the story he told even matters. Any reasoning he had for stabbing himself was caused by the massive amounts of drugs he was on so it's not really going to make any logical sense either way. In my opinion the reasoning of "i'm going to stab myself to lose blood and thus feel light headed and high" is a lot darker than "i can't stand life anymore so i'm going to kill myself". That's just really hosed up. Sounds like he's doing better, hopefully he stays clean.

Oh also I thought it was cool that one of the people in his room when he woke up was Robin Quivers. She gets a lot of poo poo (deservedly) but I guess she's actually not a bad person?

Streebs fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 14, 2012

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Streebs posted:

I don't think the story he told even matters. Any reasoning he had for stabbing himself was caused by the massive amounts of drugs he was on so it's not really going to make any logical sense either way. In my opinion the reasoning of "i'm going to stab myself to lose blood and thus feel light headed and high" is a lot darker than "i can't stand life anymore so i'm going to kill myself". That's just really hosed up. Sounds like he's doing better, hopefully he stays clean.

Oh also I thought it was cool that one of the people in his room when he woke up was Robin Quivers. She gets a lot of poo poo (deservedly) but I guess she's actually not a bad person?

Robin also is the only one who went to see Cabbie when he was in prison. And if you remember the story, it was the day after Thanksgiving and the jail was packed - she had to wait a few hours in line after line.

Maybe she really IS just playing a character on the show. :confused:

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

prefect posted:

Artie's mom is a Catholic, and they think suicide is a sin, so it's possible he's making the story up to reduce the freakout level on her end. We'll never know. :shrug:

I'm fine without knowing too, that is his poo poo to carry and his life. We gotta enjoy him (and anyone in our lives personally) while we can. I still really don't like knowing personal stuff about entertainers, but I guess when they talk to us this much, the have to get a bit personal, but I'd still hope they get too keep some stuff for their own.

Come on you baby gorilla, get your stuff in order and go back to eating the drug that is entertaining others.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

AxeManiac posted:

I'm fine without knowing too, that is his poo poo to carry and his life. We gotta enjoy him (and anyone in our lives personally) while we can. I still really don't like knowing personal stuff about entertainers, but I guess when they talk to us this much, the have to get a bit personal, but I'd still hope they get too keep some stuff for their own.

Come on you baby gorilla, get your stuff in order and go back to eating the drug that is entertaining others.
Look at you

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

AxeManiac posted:

Not to inject cross-forum topics, but it reminds me of how easily invested people can get into personality based entertainment, like Giant Bomb. When I talk about Howard or Artie like I know them personally with other people, I sort of have to take a step back and realize what the hell is going on.

But I guess listening to them for over a decade, especially Howard's method of being so personal, creates some weird phenomenon of attachment. You know, like getting on the show by licking Sal's nut sack or something.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

Streebs posted:

Now I can almost believe the reason why he stabbed himself as told on Bubba, only because of his other suicide story where he said he took a bunch of pills and drank a bunch of Jack and was then interested to see what happens when you die.

Who knows, we could speculate forever on it, I say gently caress it.

I do know that when you are high on opiates, you don't feel like stabbing yourself but if he wasn't on them and on other things I have no idea what he was thinking.

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010
Maybe Joy Behar had a point when she asked him why he didn't go for a vein if he wanted to off himself. But I've realized, like some have pointed out, why waste time speculating about someone I don't even know? I guess it's hard not to feel like you're involved on a personal level with these guys when you listen everyday, but gently caress it, I'll wait until the book comes out.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Not to inject cross-forum topics, but it reminds me of how easily invested people can get into personality based entertainment, like Giant Bomb. When I talk about Howard or Artie like I know them personally with other people, I sort of have to take a step back and realize what the hell is going on.

But I guess listening to them for over a decade, especially Howard's method of being so personal, creates some weird phenomenon of attachment. You know, like getting on the show by licking Sal's nut sack or something.

It is one of the most interesting dynamics for me too, I can see why so many people think "Howard is talking to me". That is his job after all, to make you feel like he is there for you. Howard has odd fans because of this, I love hearing about celebs dealing with all this crazy stuff, it is like a whole other world.

Either way, I'm glad he is still here and we don't have to talk about him in the past tense. Angry, bitter drug addicted comics don't tend to last long.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Streebs posted:

I think we can all agree she's probably the best person on the show as a human being (in terms of her actual intent and effort made, not what the outcome is), but she is also worst person on the show

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Robin probably goes because she thinks Karma is a literal thing and hers is lowered each time she eats french fries.

Cliche Guevara
Dec 12, 2005
whistlebritches
Yes all in all it's drug addiction and general self-loathing, and those two things combined are absolutely life-consuming, literally and figuratively. I was kind of expecting something more out loud than what I pictured the scene to be I guess.

IIRC Artie told a story on Stern a few months or a year or so before he left the show, and he basically stated he was so deep into heroin addiction that he almost walked up the stairs to the 2nd story of his house, and just run full-tilt out the window to stop the craziness. I don't know for sure if that's how he said it, but it definitely puts an image in one's mind.

Don't do heroin, kids.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Cliche Guevara posted:

Don't do heroin, kids.
I can't tell if Artie is the most effective PSA for not taking drugs, or the biggest advertisement to take drugs. Despite how badly heroin hosed up his life, he often (on Stern anyway) would go into great romantic detail about how much he loved it.

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010

Sasquatch! posted:

I can't tell if Artie is the most effective PSA for not taking drugs, or the biggest advertisement to take drugs. Despite how badly heroin hosed up his life, he often (on Stern anyway) would go into great romantic detail about how much he loved it.

He still does this on N&A. Always prefaced with something like "kids heroin is bad but.."

chiz
Sep 28, 2002
Opiates are really the poo poo, never do them. They end up becoming another bill like rent or electric and it's really not worth it. You get high, it feels good and then you wake up the next morning regretting having spent money on something so stupid.

Not that I know...uhhh, a friend told me one time.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I can only attest to the horrors of addiction to broccoli rabe and cavatelli.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Sasquatch! posted:

Despite how badly heroin hosed up his life, he often (on Stern anyway) would go into great romantic detail about how much he loved it.

I was given a prescription for painkillers after getting my wisdom teeth out and there isn't a day goes by I don't wish I had more. Artie is 100% right: drugs are loving amazing in the pre-abuse stage.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I don't get it. I took prescription opiates for back pain once and all it did was make me nauseous. There was nothing enjoyable about it.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Former Human posted:

I don't get it. I took prescription opiates for back pain once and all it did was make me nauseous. There was nothing enjoyable about it.

You probably forgot to poke holes in your belly so the air could hit it and give you a proper high.

chiz posted:

Opiates are really the poo poo, never do them. They end up becoming another bill like rent or electric and it's really not worth it. You get high, it feels good and then you wake up the next morning regretting having spent money on something so stupid.

I do the same thing with games on steam.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Serious nostalgia when I was watching a random episode and heard the "little fag Ralph, little fag Ralph" song for the first time in forever.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Howard tore apart Judd Apatow at the top of the show. Said it was bullshit from someone who was supposedly "his friend", and that it was laughable from the guy who made "the worst film of all time", Funny People. And that he's too busy "sucking dick in Hollywood" to say anything about anyone else.

Can't wait for the inevitable montage of entertainment show clips covering the "feud". Have to say I agree with him for the most part, Howard's always filled a ton of the show with x project he's working on.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Holy Calamity! posted:

Howard tore apart Judd Apatow at the top of the show. Said it was bullshit from someone who was supposedly "his friend", and that it was laughable from the guy who made "the worst film of all time", Funny People. And that he's too busy "sucking dick in Hollywood" to say anything about anyone else.

Can't wait for the inevitable montage of entertainment show clips covering the "feud". Have to say I agree with him for the most part, Howard's always filled a ton of the show with x project he's working on.

I agree, Howard is too busy sucking dick in Hollywood to say poo poo about people, because he's afraid he might offend one of his new celebrity friends or somebody who might give Beth work.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

prefect posted:

I agree, Howard is too busy sucking dick in Hollywood to say poo poo about people, because he's afraid he might offend one of his new celebrity friends or somebody who might give Beth work.

I think you have to work mighty hard to offend the head of the TV Guide network.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I'm pretty sure Beth is the one sucking dick to get work.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

Holy Calamity! posted:

Ughh, exactly as I thought he'd react, what a loving douche.

"Am I that much out of touch? NO, it's the fans, the fans are out of touch"

I can't wait to hear this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Hmm? I think Judd's the douche for complaining when the show is at its core the same as its always been. I totally agree with Howard when he says it's a result of fans being upset with the new schedule. Nothing to do with being out of touch.