Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Also the easiest way to clean any pan is to toss a half cup or so of water in it while it's still really hot (it should boil as soon as it hits the pan), then stir/scrape to get all the stuck on bits off. Basically you're deglazing as a cleaning method.

If the water's cold, couldn't the thermal shock cause the pan to warp/crack? Am I making that up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

If the water's cold, couldn't the thermal shock cause the pan to warp/crack? Am I making that up?

If you add enough of it, sure. But a half cup or so won't absorb enough heat from the pan to cool it down like that.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

poo poo sticks when the pan gets cold. Make sure your pan and the fat in it is hot when you put your meat in. Also, letting your meat come up to room temperature can help.

But really don't sweat it. The pork chop will release once it's build up a nice brown surface, which is delicious, as is the brown poo poo left stuck on the pan.

tokki g
Aug 18, 2004
I just went to this "secret" tiny seafood shack behind a tex-mex restaurant and bought a bunch of shrimp. I don't know poo poo about seafood or cooking really, but they look awesome and the cute girl at the counter convinced me they were the best/easiest way to go. The seafood there is supposed to be like the best around, they're only open one day/week and their product is shipped in from the coast, or some I'm told.
Got a 'date' friday with a good friend of mine, she's been helping me learn how to cook and we have a lot of fun. She told me about this place, and I was hoping to use these shrimp. I put them in the fridge ~30min after purchase - they'll still be awesome and have the "freshness" factor if I use them tomorrow evening instead of tonight, right? (The plan is to grill them, but beyond that I'm still trying to figure it out)
Thanks.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Ron Jeremy posted:

poo poo sticks when the pan gets cold. Make sure your pan and the fat in it is hot when you put your meat in. Also, letting your meat come up to room temperature can help.

But really don't sweat it. The pork chop will release once it's build up a nice brown surface, which is delicious, as is the brown poo poo left stuck on the pan.
This is correct. Stop loving with it, squigadoo. I suppose you could gently caress it up if you put a cold slab of meat into a lukewarm pan or something. But if you're trying to sear off a steak or pork chop or whatever, just let it warm up some before it hits the pan (so it's not at fridge temperature when it goes in), make sure you're using a really hot pan, use just a tiny bit of oil (like less than you probably think you need---just enough to give the pan kinda an oily sheen), and then throw it in. It'll stick, but you shouldn't be loving around with it so who cares? By the time you want to flip it, it'll release. If it doesn't, you hosed up one of the earlier steps. Or possibly you're just trying to flip it too soon.

But don't gently caress around with it or try to skate it around in the pan or whatever. I guess everyone wants to futz around with it because it makes you feel like you're doing more cooking or something. But as a general matter you should just keep your hands to yourself and let the thing cook. There are exceptions---like if you're basting the meat in hot fat while you're cooking the down side or poo poo like that---but if you were at the point where you were doing any of those things you wouldn't be asking how to keep a pork chop from sticking, so don't worry about that poo poo for now.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

If you add enough of it, sure. But a half cup or so won't absorb enough heat from the pan to cool it down like that.
And it's not like you need to use ice water or anything. If you were worried about it, you could heat your water up to near boiling before throwing it on the pan you want to clean.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

My friend just got the invoice for the half beef we bought. He weighed 833 lbs on the hoof, and our portion should weigh out to about 172 lbs. We can pick our meat up any time after the 20th.

If people are still interested I may make a thread, though I'm not sure there's all that much for me to say about it. I could make it a more general discussion of buying local meat and such, if that appeals to anyone.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Soooo.. How much is it costing?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

RazorBunny posted:

My friend just got the invoice for the half beef we bought. He weighed 833 lbs on the hoof, and our portion should weigh out to about 172 lbs. We can pick our meat up any time after the 20th.

If people are still interested I may make a thread, though I'm not sure there's all that much for me to say about it. I could make it a more general discussion of buying local meat and such, if that appeals to anyone.

Mrs rj and are looking into doing this. I'd be very interested in your experience.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Nifty posted:

Soooo.. How much is it costing?

$5.19/lb, for a total of $742. We're splitting it evenly.

Captain Payne
Sep 27, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
When frying stuff flour-based stuff in a pan, is there any way to make it so the first crepe/fritter/etc doesnt soak up all the oil? Or do I just have to keep adding more each time?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
I have about 2 lbs of fresh salmon filet. My fiancee really likes salmon with capers so I try to include them when I bake salmon but I'm open to tasty suggestions.

Last time I made it I used this recipe, but I didn't really get much out of the dill. It tasted of lemon, green onion, and a bit of caper.

Anyone have a good recipe?

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
My mate went over to the states and came back with a wonderful story of a big french loaf styled bread hollowed out and filled with cold cut meats and cheese, baked, and then sliced up and dished out. What is the official name of this thing so I can google a recipe and instructions for it?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

fuckpot posted:

My mate went over to the states and came back with a wonderful story of a big french loaf styled bread hollowed out and filled with cold cut meats and cheese, baked, and then sliced up and dished out. What is the official name of this thing so I can google a recipe and instructions for it?

Sounds like an awkward description of a stromboli to me.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

RazorBunny posted:

$5.19/lb, for a total of $742. We're splitting it evenly.

:stare:

That's really expensive.

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello

fuckpot posted:

I believe that is a "shooter's sandwich". And it is much more UK than USA.
Google has lots of different takes on it from cold cuts and cheese to steak/mushrooms/shallots to ground meats and sauce. I've seen writeups on GWS from time to time, maybe even an ICSA entry. Always look pretty delicious.

If that isn't what your looking for I'd love to hear what it is!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mr. Wiggles posted:

That's really expensive.

God I wish I could pay that kind of money. Steak is $20-$25 a pound here in Korea.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

That's really expensive.

It's certainly not the cheapest way to buy beef in the US, by any means. This steer was raised about forty minutes from my house.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

tokki g posted:

She told me about this place, and I was hoping to use these shrimp. I put them in the fridge ~30min after purchase - they'll still be awesome and have the "freshness" factor if I use them tomorrow evening instead of tonight, right? (The plan is to grill them, but beyond that I'm still trying to figure it out)
Thanks.

Sniff them but they should be just fine tomorrow.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

RazorBunny posted:

It's certainly not the cheapest way to buy beef in the US, by any means. This steer was raised about forty minutes from my house.

I'll sell you an animal for $1/pound hanging weight if you drive away the live animal. If you want it butchered we need to talk privately.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Considering I've already paid for ~80 lbs of meat, I'm not going to be buying beef for a while, thanks.

llbdtiberio
Mar 27, 2010
Got myself some octopus and I want to cook it in my slowcooker. From what I gather it's a kind of tough meat so it will benefit from the slowcooker. Was thinking of chopping it up with some tomato sauce and spices and then cook it on low for around 8hours. Will this end in disaster?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

llbdtiberio posted:

Got myself some octopus and I want to cook it in my slowcooker. From what I gather it's a kind of tough meat so it will benefit from the slowcooker. Was thinking of chopping it up with some tomato sauce and spices and then cook it on low for around 8hours. Will this end in disaster?

I've not heard of Octopus stew or braise before, but I think your logic is sound.

That being said, if octopus is anything like squid, it starts off chewy, hits a sweet spot where it's tender, and then any cooking after that point turns it into bubblegum of the sea. 8 hours in a crock pot might loop you back to chewy pretty easy.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I'm no expert, but in my opinion frying is the best way to cook squid or octopus. Battered calamari done right is friggin' awesome, and octopus is much the same texture. Maybe batter it up and throw it in hot oil?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

themongol posted:

There was a really comprehensive Indian cooking thread about 2 years ago, it's probably in the archives now. Can someone please post it if you've got a link to it? Thanks!

Now wikified for those who don't have archives: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Dreaming_of_India:_Geography,_History_and_Food under this category: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Category:Other_Guides

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Stewed octopus works fine, I'm not sure about eight hours in a crock pot but simmering for an hour or so makes it tender. Otherwise you want to fry it for about 90 seconds.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

That being said, if octopus is anything like squid, it starts off chewy, hits a sweet spot where it's tender, and then any cooking after that point turns it into bubblegum of the sea. 8 hours in a crock pot might loop you back to chewy pretty easy.

Squid and octopus actually get tender again. You either want to cook them super hot and fast or cook them for a long time. Anything in between is tough and rubbery.

llbdtiberio
Mar 27, 2010
Well, the octopus was free so I will try and do like half in the slowcooker and see what happens, thanks a lot for the help guys :).

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

My favorite octopus dish is Pulpo a la gallega. Braised octopus, quick grilled, sliced into coins, and served over potatoes with good quality paprika, extra virgin olive oil, and a good finishing sea salt. unf so good.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

unf so good.

*all of Spanish food*

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Is there a big flavor contribution from roux in sauces? I made a pan sauce tonight. After browning chicken, I put garlic in the pan, but panicked when it started to brown too quickly and dumped in wine to deglaze and stop the browning Instead of flour to make roux. I find finished with corn starch to thicken.

Which leads to my initial question.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
Can someone please tell me the approximate butcher fees for a whole cow? I'm considering buying a quarter of beef, splitting a cow with some pals. The fees for butchering, grinding, and wrapping are $350, or $87 for each of us.

Is that a lot, a little, or average? I've bought pigs before with butcher fees of about $50, so this seems like a disproportionately larger cost.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Is there a big flavor contribution from roux in sauces? I made a pan sauce tonight. After browning chicken, I put garlic in the pan, but panicked when it started to brown too quickly and dumped in wine to deglaze and stop the browning Instead of flour to make roux. I find finished with corn starch to thicken.

Which leads to my initial question.

It depends on the colour of the roux. The longer you cook the roux, and the darker it gets, the more flavour it'll impart, but it'll also thicken less effectively.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Happy Abobo posted:

It depends on the colour of the roux. The longer you cook the roux, and the darker it gets, the more flavour it'll impart, but it'll also thicken less effectively.

Yep. Gumbo roux imparts a ton of the flavor, something like a white roux for thickening a sauce doesn't do that much.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Noni posted:

Can someone please tell me the approximate butcher fees for a whole cow? I'm considering buying a quarter of beef, splitting a cow with some pals. The fees for butchering, grinding, and wrapping are $350, or $87 for each of us.

Is that a lot, a little, or average? I've bought pigs before with butcher fees of about $50, so this seems like a disproportionately larger cost.

Our processing fees for the half beef we ordered were $151, but I don't have any other basis for comparison.

Socratic Moron
Oct 12, 2003
*sigh*
A couple months ago I was seed shopping and picked up some kohlrabi not really knowing what it was but the package picture sure looked neat.

Well, I now have a ton of kohlrabi in my garden and have no idea how to prepare them. Any suggestions?

Thank you! :)

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Socratic Moron posted:

Well, I now have a ton of kohlrabi in my garden and have no idea how to prepare them. Any suggestions?
Kohlrabi is pretty awesome in kimchi.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

RazorBunny posted:

Our processing fees for the half beef we ordered were $151, but I don't have any other basis for comparison.

Thanks. I guess $350 for the whole cow isn't so bad then.

Socratic Moron posted:

A couple months ago I was seed shopping and picked up some kohlrabi not really knowing what it was but the package picture sure looked neat.

Thank you! :)

Fries, slaw, or eat it raw! Fries, slaw, or eat it raw!

The fries are decent with a peanut sauce. The only restaurant I've ever seen them in is a German gastropub, right beside the fried pickles. They breaded the kohlrabi for some reason, which I don't do. Beer, those two fried products, some schnitzel and a pretzel are a great way to stress-test your arteries to see if any of them are going to clog or blow out any time soon.

I think they would go well in other Thai recipes. Those Sputnik sons of bitches sure can grow here in Washington. I don't know what it is, but they can reach the size of a small human head with practically zero effort. If you have any kids that play in your garden, a bunch of growing kohlrabi make a realistic "alien planet" environment for action figures, especially if purple because then I can reenact the final level of Contra or Life Force. Er, I mean the kids can.

Socratic Moron
Oct 12, 2003
*sigh*
Wow, Kohlrabi is delicious! I ended up making fries. Thank you!

Dache
Dec 26, 2003

this happy little fella is steve

Hi guys, I've got a full rack of pork ribs in my fridge and a bottle of BBQ sauce I'm dying to marinate them in. While I'd love to be able to smoke them, I'm in a flat and it isn't feasible. All I have is my oven and a bunch of metal cookware. I've tried several times in the past and while they're okay ribs, they're a far cry from real ribs that I've had before, in the US.

Can someone please tell me how can I get tasty, moist, falling-off-the-bone ribs using that BBQ sauce, any other kind of rub I could put together, and most importantly, just a normal electric fan oven? Or at least as near as dammit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

How low is the lowest temperature setting on your oven?