Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

How the devil do you even do that? :psyduck:

I want to see a video of him playing it and a description of how he did it, because gently caress.
It's tool assisted (TAS stands for Tool Assisted Speedrun). In all likelihood certain parts were probably recorded separately and then strung together with the odd tweak here and there.

Mak0rz posted:

Which one is Map 29? :saddowns:
The one before the icon of sin fight, starts at about 10:07. He skips the whole level by jumping over a stupidly huge gap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
So how do I make the walls of this sector sky and still have people be able to fall off the cliff? I see in the tutorials that if I bring the outside sector down it will work, but then people can't fall off the cliff.

EDIT: So this seems to work okay, just don't have the water going out as far as I'd like.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Maybe we should all try to make a doom map and make a GOON (see: gay) WAD.

I'd totally do a map or two for a goon wad.

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 13, 2012

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

If I'm understanding you correctly, to make the walls not show up, you have to make a little ledge pointing out wherever you want the sky to stop and make the ceiling texture of that little ledge the skybox and it wont render it.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
I think this is the best I can do for that:

I made a small U shaped sector at the bounds of the water that keeps the sky working, and I can just pull this off into the distance for some ocean view.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

So how do I make the walls of this sector sky and still have people be able to fall off the cliff? I see in the tutorials that if I bring the outside sector down it will work, but then people can't fall off the cliff.

Walls are only drawn as sky if they are an upper linedef where the two sectors on either side of the line both have sky on the ceiling. This means that you can't have a wall drawn as sky on a single-sided linedef, so add another sector behind that one and bring down its ceiling instead.

Sorry, I hope that makes sense. I'd bust out a diagram to try and explain it better but I'm about to go to bed. If you're still struggling, I had a quick look through my unfinished maps folder and found one that is surrounded by cliffs like your level is that might show you how it's done (notice the extra sector surrounding the whole level has its ceiling lowered to the floor). It's in Boom map format though, so you may need to set that up (it's unlikely to load correctly if you try to load it in some other map format).

Download

EDIT: Looks like you solved it while I was writing this. That's exactly how you do it.

EDIT 2: You might find this line action useful: http://zdoom.org/wiki/Line_Horizon

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

That TAS is completely nuts. I must have rewatched map 29 about ten times because I couldn't figure out what had just happened. :psyduck: The ending to The Factory was a thing of beauty as well. Stuff like that makes me wonder if a 2-game/1-input TAS is possible (like this TAS of Mega Man X & X2) with Doom 1 & 2.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I've never made a map before but I'd be totally down for this.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

H2Omelon posted:

Walls are only drawn as sky if they are an upper linedef where the two sectors on either side of the line both have sky on the ceiling. This means that you can't have a wall drawn as sky on a single-sided linedef, so add another sector behind that one and bring down its ceiling instead.

Sorry, I hope that makes sense. I'd bust out a diagram to try and explain it better but I'm about to go to bed. If you're still struggling, I had a quick look through my unfinished maps folder and found one that is surrounded by cliffs like your level is that might show you how it's done (notice the extra sector surrounding the whole level has its ceiling lowered to the floor). It's in Boom map format though, so you may need to set that up (it's unlikely to load correctly if you try to load it in some other map format).

Download

EDIT: Looks like you solved it while I was writing this. That's exactly how you do it.

EDIT 2: You might find this line action useful: http://zdoom.org/wiki/Line_Horizon

Yeah it kinda makes sense. I'm used to building levels addatively so its a little weird doing it subtractive like this.

EDIT: Actually, maybe I found a better way to do it? I deleted that U shaped sector and I was left with the sector walls being untextured, which in game looks like what I was going for. Hooray!

an_mutt posted:

I've never made a map before but I'd be totally down for this.

Its not very difficult. The tutorial that H2Omelon wrote/linked earlier is very helpful. Learn doom mapping with me!

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 14, 2012

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

I'm just a clown in the eyes of the world :(

I think this is the best I can do for that:

I made a small U shaped sector at the bounds of the water that keeps the sky working, and I can just pull this off into the distance for some ocean view.
Does the map format you are using not support setting a linedef to "horizon"? You can make a sector like that with a water floor look like it goes off forever with just that.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

Aphal posted:

Does the map format you are using not support setting a linedef to "horizon"? You can make a sector like that with a water floor look like it goes off forever with just that.

Yeah it does. Heres what I've got so far:

This is pretty much what I wanted.

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

I'm just a clown in the eyes of the world :(
Oops, I was beaten there.
Anyway, Doom mapping owns. I've been a game designer for three years and Doombuilder is probably my favorite editor. My current WIP has a 3D skybox!

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

I'm used to Hammer and Radiant, where I build addatively with brushes, rather than building subtractively like this.

But yeah, the frustrating stuff was pretty much non-existant here, its been smooth sailing for an hour or so now.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I'll read up on the tutorials during the week and try to come up with something. The only map editing I've done is really in Q3. I tried world builder for q2 a long time ago and worldcraft for tf2 a year ago, but never made anything.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 14, 2012

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd be willing to make an awful map for a goon WAD.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

I'm used to Hammer and Radiant, where I build addatively with brushes, rather than building subtractively like this.
I once made a map for the original Jedi Knight, which involved creating box-like sectors and then carving them into shape by cutting them down into different sectors at various angles, and deleting the redundant ones. It was incredibly arduous - and often confusing - work, which makes it fairly amazing that original level designers were able to craft such sprawling and complex maps with such an enormously inconvenient engine.

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.
I can already picture the Goon end boss: the Icon of Sin textures replaced by a giant Goatse firing demons out of its rear end :gonk:
But seriously, goon.wad needs to happen. Or more (new monsters, weapons, etc). I wish I knew anything about editing :(

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I've never made a map either but I would be down... but not until this semester is over.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Well I guess it is a good thing I kept some old terrible projects around.

e: Going back to that sky/wall/whatever talk, there are some neat things you can do by not defining a sidedef a texture.

Editor:

Ingame:

Dukka fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 14, 2012

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I would be down for a Doom2 goon mapping competition. I can't find a GSP that will host a Doom 2 server, but I'd be happy to throw down cash to get a playtest server going.

I did some TF2 mapping(arena_saw) and played around with Quake 1 mapping, but haven't touched Doom 2 WADs yet. It'd be interesting to see what goons come up with. Is the WAD editor linked on the last page free? If we get something organized, it might be worth crossposting to the Source SDK thread...

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

Yeah DoomBuilder 2 is free, you just need the WADs to get the textures and stuff.

Lets get some maps going before we start making lots of plans.

EDIT: Forgot, I can run a server apparently. I don't know how stressful a doom server would be, but I can at least host when needed.

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 14, 2012

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

EDIT: Forgot, I can run a server apparently. I don't know how stressful a doom server would be, but I can at least host when needed.
Very not stressful.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

I recall another megaWAD project proposed in if not this thread, then a previous one, complete with someone's handy Doombuilder 2 tutorials. Pretty sure it fizzled out, but good luck to anyone making maps.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

kmxexii posted:

I recall another megaWAD project proposed in if not this thread, then a previous one, complete with someone's handy Doombuilder 2 tutorials. Pretty sure it fizzled out, but good luck to anyone making maps.

Yeah, which is why I don't want everyone to go off and plan everything out, then realize the effort involved. Just build some levels and we'll playtest them together.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
My GPU is almost dead, which means I'm stuck playing the least graphically intensive game in my Steam library:

MOTHAFUCKIN' DARK FORCES

It goin' be a goooooood weekend

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
RE: Goon WAD

This subject came up in this previous thread around Christmas of 2010. A few of us collaborated on some maps in the hopes that the Goon WAD would pull through, even though--being a Goon project--the odds were stacked against it. Nothing ever came of it, but I saved the couple of maps that were finished and had been posted in the thread.

If you guys are serious about resuscitating the project, I can re-host the 3 or 4 maps that were made in a couple of days. I'd love to see 8 or 9 authors slap together a crazy MegaWAD.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

It seems like there are at least six people who would be willing to try and contribute. I would say maybe plan out some guidelines and general theme or something.

the cool posts kid
Jul 24, 2007

I wanna make a map for this thing too.

Quatrefoil
Feb 13, 2010
Can anyone recommend a decent Hexen wad(s)? I really like the game's style but have completed both the original and DkotDC twice so even though I'd still probably get lost all the time something new would be nice.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Are we making single/coop or multiplayer maps? Is there a popular/novel tileset we could use?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Hadlock posted:

Are we making single/coop or multiplayer maps? Is there a popular/novel tileset we could use?

Honestly, I feel like we should shoot for singleplayer maps without an overall novelty. I want to say making it singleplayer would give it the widest user-base (a lot of people don't play Co-Op or Multiplayer), and the lack of a required novelty will prevent it from growing tiresome for the player. Also, it would allow more people to contribute to the WAD without being scared off from something like, "Make an Egyptian-themed Map."

That being said, individual maps should have a pretty free range of what kind of map they want to make. For example, one of the maps I made was relatively novel (a hectic "back and forth" style map called "Suicides"). I'd actually really want to see a big mish-mash of levels in a single WAD, encouraging you to use different playstyles.

Professional WADs with coherent level-design like Scythe-X are fine and dandy, but man, they get boring after a while. Let's celebrate 20+ years of first person shooters by embracing the hair-brained art design of mid 90's FPS's!

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

Quatrefoil posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent Hexen wad(s)? I really like the game's style but have completed both the original and DkotDC twice so even though I'd still probably get lost all the time something new would be nice.

Wolfen is good, but ZDoom updates seem to break the scripting a lot. This seems to be the latest fixed version

Quatrefoil
Feb 13, 2010

rodney mullenkamp posted:

Wolfen is good, but ZDoom updates seem to break the scripting a lot. This seems to be the latest fixed version
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I just did some fixing of broken links etc. in the OP. If you see anything else broken, or anything that should be added, shout.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

The Kins posted:

I just did some fixing of broken links etc. in the OP. If you see anything else broken, or anything that should be added, shout.

The big recommendation I would make is to get rid of pretty much the entire mods list for Marathon (third post) and replace it with what you see at http://source.bungie.org/scenarios.php#more

Two reasons why:
1. Most of the "mods" you have listed are actually just maps with graphics changes; the generally agreed standard for total conversions in the Marathon community is more significant, and reflected in the linked scenarios.
2. Those links come from the main page for Aleph One. It's about as official of a sponsorship (and assurance of quality/completeness) as you can get, considering the community tends to be a huge hugbox.

the cool posts kid
Jul 24, 2007

Here's my first attempt a a Doom map.

I tried to balance it for Brutal Doom, but it should be fine without it. I haven't added difficulty levels yet, so it's UV only ATM. Is it too hard/easy/boring/whatever?

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

jimmy boag posted:

I tried to balance it for Brutal Doom, but it should be fine without it. I haven't added difficulty levels yet, so it's UV only ATM. Is it too hard/easy/boring/whatever?

There's actually some neat stuff in here considering this is a first attempt. The starting area's kind of 1994, but the crack in the wall in the second room was actually pretty cool. I did notice some texture alignment issues too, particularly above the exit from the courtyard with the Hell Knights in it. I'd go back through and fix up the texturing and maybe add some additional details and I'd say it wouldn't be too shabby.

Speaking of, how hard is it to get started working with Doombuilder 2? This is coming from somebody who has only successfully made maps for Wolfenstein 3D before, and that's about as simple as it can get considering it was literally placing squares on a grid.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Speaking of, how hard is it to get started working with Doombuilder 2? This is coming from somebody who has only successfully made maps for Wolfenstein 3D before, and that's about as simple as it can get considering it was literally placing squares on a grid.

Not hard at all, give the tutorials here a spin: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing/55372-my-unfinished-newbie-udmf-level-editing-guide/

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Redneck Rampage is on sale at GOG.com, is it worth the $2.99? Also, I picked up blood a while back and it's not very playable out of the box, is there a modern control scheme (freelook/WASD) and graphics update for that (akin to what's available for Doom?)

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

bMouse available from here works with Redneck Rampage. It makes mouselook far more tolerable.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Redneck Rampage is on sale at GOG.com, is it worth the $2.99? Also, I picked up blood a while back and it's not very playable out of the box, is there a modern control scheme (freelook/WASD) and graphics update for that (akin to what's available for Doom?)

Currently the engine update for Blood is in the works looks like, so you might want to just wait for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

Dukka posted:

e: Going back to that sky/wall/whatever talk, there are some neat things you can do by not defining a sidedef a texture.

Editor:

Ingame:

Just for reference, this effect doesn't happen because the wall is untextured, but happens because the wall has a sector on each side that have the F_SKY1 sky texture on the ceiling. If you texture that upper linedef, it will still be drawn as sky in-game.

jimmy boag posted:

For a first map this is excellent, I had fun and didn't spot any bugs or errors. I liked the outdoor secret area that you could see through the bars, that's a very "Knee Deep in the Dead" thing to do, letting me know there was stuff out there to pickup so there must have been a way to get it.

The only thing I would have changed would have been an extra way out of the slime pit at the other side of it (even if it teleported you back to the beginning), I accidentally fell in near the end and died trying to run back to the start. I only say this because the slime pit is actually pretty large and weaving through the pillars makes it take longer.