Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

What is he doing for them?

I'm casting Defender's Ward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.
^^^ Defender's Ward is the best

Washout posted:

I freaking love Bastions with Kreoss. They just turn into murder machines and are super duper hard to kill (instead of only being super hard to kill). But it is always a fight to fit them into a 35 point list because there is so much required for your knockdown assassination attempt.

Do you think I should run three jacks in my list, or just two? I want to include a Redeemer, a Crusader, and either a Templar or a Vanquisher (can't decide between the two of them). If I drop one out, I'll have between 6 and 8 extra points to bump up the Bastions but I don't know what to do after that because the Bastions only eat up three of those points and I don't have any Exemplar solos other than one Seneschal that I'm already running.

If I do go with three jacks, I like the Vanquiser's range, but I feel like the Templar is more survivable and hits harder up close so I don't know. Vanquisher seems best for dealing with infantry, though.

EDIT: Also, I could theoretically drop the Mechanik and run a Repenter, a Redeemer, and a Templar/Vanquisher along with full Errants and Full Bastions, plus the min Choir and the Errant Seneschal

VVV Can't run regular Vassals in pKreoss Tier List. Also I don't have a Reckoner yet, I am a bad Menoth player :(

FLEXBONER fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 12, 2012

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Speed 4 without reach or any way to speed up a crusader can be brutal. I'd recommend Vanquisher and Reckoner with pKreoss. That should free up 6 points? 3 spent into maxing out bastions, and the other 3 spent replacing the vassal mechanik with 2 regular vassals? That way on feat turn you can still get in 4 shots with your jacks if you need to.

EDIT: ^^Are you a new Menoth player? I wouldn't recommend using tier lists to start. Almost every tier list places too many restrictions for not enough benefits.

Reik fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 12, 2012

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.
The Tier List is for a tournament, I don't normally use it.

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?
Hey Skorne bros, I've got a 35pt Steamroller coming up next week, and I'm thinking of playing my Skorne for the first time in awhile. Any thoughts on lists for me? I was figuring a basic Makeda2 list and maybe Morghoul1 or Naaresh?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Mikael Kreoss posted:

But Errants love that more, and they have Blessed Crossbows so on Feat turn they can Charge some models then Quick Work into their caster for some extra damage. I guess I'm just not seeing what Bastions are doing that another unit can't. Hell Zealots would be sweet as they would just be Fire Bombing the hell out of their caster.

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?

Mikael Kreoss posted:

There's this guy named Vindictus who can also throw Def Ward on Bastions, make them faster, and they actually synergize fantastically with his feat.

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Gay Polymers posted:

There's this guy named Vindictus who can also throw Def Ward on Bastions, make them faster, and they actually synergize fantastically with his feat.

Yeah but he's got this weird obsession with Vlad and always smells like hard boiled eggs.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Mikael Kreoss posted:

Wrong. Avatar #1.

Eh sorry sir, I love the Avatar too but DJ is still better. Not by a huge margin, but still better. :smith:

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Gay Polymers posted:

Hey Skorne bros, I've got a 35pt Steamroller coming up next week, and I'm thinking of playing my Skorne for the first time in awhile. Any thoughts on lists for me? I was figuring a basic Makeda2 list and maybe Morghoul1 or Naaresh?

Here are three basic lists for those three warlocks, using the character restrictions:

[00] Supreme Archdomina Makeda (0 / 5 WB)
[11] >> Molik Karn
[10] >> Bronzeback Titan
[08] >> Titan Gladiator
[03] Paingiver Beast Handlers (5 grunts)
[06] Praetorian Swordsmen (9 grunts)
[02] >> Praetorian Swordsmen Officer & Standard

The Holy Trinity of beasts, with the Swordsmen as your tarpit/light-infantry sweeper. Very basic.

[00] Master Tormentor Morghoul (0 / 7 WB)
[03] >> Aptimus Marketh
[10] >> Bronzeback Titan
[08] >> Titan Gladiator
[09] >> Titan Sentry
[04] >> Basilisk Drake (or Krea, to taste)
[05] >> Cyclops Brute

The Titan Trinity, with the Brute to protect Morghoul from high RATs/lucky shots and knockdown. Choose between the Drake or the Krea, depending on whether you'd rather have a spray or a ranged defense aura (alternatively, if you can free up a point, maybe by dropping the Beast Handlers to a min, you can put in a Cyclops Savage instead, for an extra Rush or a double Locker with the Sentry). Marketh is there for an extra casting of Abuse.

[00] Master Ascetic Naaresh (0 / 6 WB)
[10] >> Bronzeback Titan
[08] >> Titan Gladiator
[05] >> Cyclops Brute
[05] >> Cyclops Savage
[08] Nihilators (9 grunts)
[02] Paingiver Beast Handlers (3 grunts)

Strategy is a combination of the first two lists, with an extra unit of Beast Handlers to charge up Naaresh.

You can use any of these as a starting point to tailor your own list. I'm generally not a fan of putting Bronzeback/Gladiator in every list, but then I don't play tournaments, and it's hard to deny that they are both fantastic beasts.

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 13, 2012

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?
The Bronzeback and Gladiator are amazingly good, it's true. Thanks, I'll use those as a starting point. I think I need more Paingivers to run Naaresh correctly... think I could get away with just one full sized unit of them?

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Gay Polymers posted:

The Bronzeback and Gladiator are amazingly good, it's true. Thanks, I'll use those as a starting point. I think I need more Paingivers to run Naaresh correctly... think I could get away with just one full sized unit of them?

It's possible, but considering how dependent Naaresh is on them, for maximizing his beasts AND himself, he could really use the redundancy.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

Gorefiend posted:

Playing in a local small tournament this weekend, thinking of running this.

System: Hordes
Faction: Blindwater Congregation
Casters: 1/1
Bloody Barnabas (*6pts)
* Blackhide Wrastler (9pts)
Gatormen Posse (Leader and 4 Grunts) (9pts)
Swamp Gobber Bellows Crew (Leader and 1 Grunt) (1pts)
Feralgeist (1pts)
Wrong Eye & Snapjaw (9pts)
* Bull Snapper (3pts)

Thought about swapping the swamp gobbers and Feralgeist out for a croak hunter, but not sure which would be more helpful.

Croak Hunters are god drat amazing and I take them in every cong list I can, they're just so versatile. I also like bogtrogs and would definitely take them over W.E. and snapjaw but that's just preference.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Our store league movies up to 25pts this week, so these are a couple lists I am working with. They are based on what I have painted (because if I don't pick up the points for playing all-painted there is no way I'm every placing in this thing).

Ashlynn d'Elyse (*6pts)
* Mule (8pts)
* Rocinante (9pts)
* Sylys Wyshnalyrr, the Seeker (2pts)
Captain Sam MacHorne & the Devil Dogs (Sam and 9 Grunts) (7pts)
* Buccaneer (3pts)
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord (2pts)

Or

Ashlynn d'Elyse (*6pts)
* Rocinante (9pts)
Arcane Tempest Gun Mages (Leader and 5 Grunts) (6pts)
* Vanguard (5pts)

I'm leaning toward the first list, because I want the beating power of two heavies. The ATGM are great with Ashlynn's feat, but if I run into a list that is loaded with heavy stuff they just can't do anything. While I'm at the store I'll be picking up Damiano, and then get him painted for the next set of 25pt games. :toot:

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Damnit, severe weather predictions are starting to look pretty bad for the part of OKC that my game store is in.

Would an active tornado outbreak make Warmachine more or less awesome?

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?

Citizen Z posted:

Damnit, severe weather predictions are starting to look pretty bad for the part of OKC that my game store is in.

Would an active tornado outbreak make Warmachine more or less awesome?

You do not want to see the damage that a swarm of Khador jacks being whipped through the air at 100 mph does to a human skull.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Gay Polymers posted:

You do not want to see the damage that a swarm of Khador jacks being whipped through the air at 100 mph does to a human skull.

Now I want to see how far my Behemoth can be embedded into a 2x4 by a Tornado.

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR

Gorefiend posted:

Playing in a local small tournament this weekend, thinking of running this.

System: Hordes
Faction: Blindwater Congregation
Bloody Barnabas (*6pts)
Gatormen Posse (Leader and 4 Grunts) (9pts)
Swamp Gobber Bellows Crew (Leader and 1 Grunt) (1pts)
Feralgeist (1pts)
Wrong Eye & Snapjaw (9pts)
* Bull Snapper (3pts)

Thought about swapping the swamp gobbers and Feralgeist out for a croak hunter, but not sure which would be more helpful.

I'd swap out one Wrastler for a Spitter and get a Totem Hunter in there instead of the Feralgeist and the Gobbers personally. With so many beasts around you'll get great mileage out of the 'geist though. Gobbers are always good to have. Their evasive bodies and 12" run are great for tarpitting stuff.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
So I guess US righteous Menoth players have to wait until August to lay down some fire on heretics if that release schedule holds true.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

So I'm thinking about taking this list to a 35 point tourney in a week, seems like it could be silly.

System: Warmachine
Faction: Protectorate of Menoth
Harbinger of Menoth (*5pts)
* Devout (5pts)
* Hierophant (2pts)
Exemplar Bastions (Leader and 4 Grunts) (8pts)
Exemplar Errants (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Exemplar Errant Officer & Standard Bearer (2pts)
Knights Exemplar (Leader and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
Gorman di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist (2pts)
High Paladin Dartan Vilmon (3pts)
Paladin of the Order of the Wall (2pts)
The Covenant of Menoth (2pts)
The Wrack (3 wracks) (1pts)

Sure it might have trouble cracking really high armor, but it's 35 points so I don't expect too much of that, and I have 20-something weaponmasters with decent threat ranges, so hopefully I can put a hurting on heavies that are out there, while holding down scenarios like an ace.

Now to just figure out what my other list will be.

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?
You could always try to fit Rhupert in there too. Nothing makes your opponent have an aneurysm more than Errants with tough that can't be knocked down, can self sacrifice if they fail their tough roll, and then can be martyred if there's no one to self sac to. :v:

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

Gay Polymers posted:

You could always try to fit Rhupert in there too. Nothing makes your opponent have an aneurysm more than Errants with tough that can't be knocked down, can self sacrifice if they fail their tough roll, and then can be martyred if there's no one to self sac to. :v:

Yeah, I've thought about that, and I've questioned the usefulness of the book in there since I don't have to worry about preventing KD on jacks to prevent enliven, and I don't have any tough units so no KD doesn't help that, but if I add rhupert and drop book I create that problem. Gorman might actually be able to be dropped for Rhupert since Harby will be armor 20+ most of the game and have a devout, so the smoke bomb isn't a huge deal, and Exemplar models have pretty kickass MAT so black oil will be only really effective against super high def models, but once again Harby has a spell for that.

It's a character restricted tourney, so if I have rhupert in here that means he isn't in my other list, but considering I might be running eFeora or eSeverius, he might be better in either of those lists.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

If you're already concerned about not handling heavy armor, dropping Gorman might not be a good idea. Rust is a good way to soften them up, and Black Oil can stall them for a turn. I'm not familiar with Menoth so I don't know how badly dropping him would change things, though.

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?

Korwen posted:

Yeah, I've thought about that, and I've questioned the usefulness of the book in there since I don't have to worry about preventing KD on jacks to prevent enliven, and I don't have any tough units so no KD doesn't help that, but if I add rhupert and drop book I create that problem. Gorman might actually be able to be dropped for Rhupert since Harby will be armor 20+ most of the game and have a devout, so the smoke bomb isn't a huge deal, and Exemplar models have pretty kickass MAT so black oil will be only really effective against super high def models, but once again Harby has a spell for that.

It's a character restricted tourney, so if I have rhupert in here that means he isn't in my other list, but considering I might be running eFeora or eSeverius, he might be better in either of those lists.

The book is great with Errants, give them the fire prayer and they can light up an entire unit from range with their low damage crossbows. Works better with eFeora to keep the fires going, but it can definitely work with any caster.

I find Black Oil is more useful for the forfeit movement/action ability than the -4 Def/Mat. Being able to Black Oil a key model like Beast09 or the Avatar (an opponents, obiously) while your models are sitting safely just out of reach is priceless. Won a game against Circle where Feora1 spent 2 turns just out of Megalith's range while he was repeatedly hit with Black Oil.

Edit: @Ashcans - Between Bastions, Exemplars, Vilmon, and his pally bro, there should be zero issues with that list cracking heavy armor. He's more worried about high Def, but as he said, Harby has an auto-hitting spell if he needs to deal with that, plus Blessed Weapons/Purification means he should never be worrying about Iron Flesh/Defenders Ward/etc.

Gay Polymers fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 13, 2012

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

I did say Armor actually, but I suppose you're correct that there's enough weaponmasters with good threat range thanks to Crusader's Call that anything but those arm 25 khador heavies shouldn't be an issue, and I guess if that's the case I can just try to black oil that bastard into uselessness.

Now what do I drop to put in Rhupert though, that's the question.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..

Korwen posted:

I did say Armor actually, but I suppose you're correct that there's enough weaponmasters with good threat range thanks to Crusader's Call that anything but those arm 25 khador heavies shouldn't be an issue, and I guess if that's the case I can just try to black oil that bastard into uselessness.

Now what do I drop to put in Rhupert though, that's the question.

Menoth. :colbert:

Seriously though, I think that's a very solid list. It kinda surprised me at first, being so jack light, but I think it will work out very well as a scenario ballbuster. I honestly think dropping the Paladin might be your best bet to get in Rhupert; you need to keep in Gorman and the Book, and Vilmon is the superior paladin. He's probably the most redundant part of the list, so it probably needs to be him.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Tanon posted:

Menoth. :colbert:

Seriously though, I think that's a very solid list. It kinda surprised me at first, being so jack light, but I think it will work out very well as a scenario ballbuster. I honestly think dropping the Paladin might be your best bet to get in Rhupert; you need to keep in Gorman and the Book, and Vilmon is the superior paladin. He's probably the most redundant part of the list, so it probably needs to be him.

I was just going to suggest this. As awesome as a paladins are with Vilmon, the Rhupert will be better off.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Bearing in mind I suck at painting, I just sat down with my Bloat Thrall for a little while. He's not done yet, but most of the way there. All I'm going to do is re-wash him a second time with a darker color, then highlight it, anyways, here are some photos:

He has jaundice, and sprays people with mustard :3:
It wasn't until just now that I realized the Bloat Thralls actually spray people with their own bile.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 14, 2012

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Sab669 posted:

Gross! Nice job!

Just picked up a Minuteman, so excited to try him out with Kraye!

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Make sure you hit the bile up with some gloss, even if you're not going to dullkote the entire model.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I did, but I might need more it seems.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

Ashcans posted:

Our store league movies up to 25pts this week, so these are a couple lists I am working with. They are based on what I have painted (because if I don't pick up the points for playing all-painted there is no way I'm every placing in this thing).

Ashlynn d'Elyse (*6pts)
* Mule (8pts)
* Rocinante (9pts)
* Buccaneer (3pts)

Or

Ashlynn d'Elyse (*6pts)
* Rocinante (9pts)
Arcane Tempest Gun Mages (Leader and 5 Grunts) (6pts)
* Vanguard (5pts)

I'm leaning toward the first list, because I want the beating power of two heavies. The ATGM are great with Ashlynn's feat, but if I run into a list that is loaded with heavy stuff they just can't do anything. While I'm at the store I'll be picking up Damiano, and then get him painted for the next set of 25pt games. :toot:

I think both of those lists are decent, though I would personally lean towards the first one. (Gun Mages w/out the UA don't bring a huge amount to the table IMO.) You could even swap the Mule and Buccaneer since Pronto lets the Mule move and still get the aiming bonus, and he doesn't need to be in Ashlynn's battlegroup to get the benefit of Roulette. It would just be a question of whether or not you think you can keep Sam safe enough to risk marshaling an 8pt jack on her.

Stacking Quicken and +1 Def from the Piper on the Devil Dogs should be good too.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Acceptableloss posted:

I think both of those lists are decent, though I would personally lean towards the first one. (Gun Mages w/out the UA don't bring a huge amount to the table IMO.) You could even swap the Mule and Buccaneer since Pronto lets the Mule move and still get the aiming bonus, and he doesn't need to be in Ashlynn's battlegroup to get the benefit of Roulette. It would just be a question of whether or not you think you can keep Sam safe enough to risk marshaling an 8pt jack on her.

Stacking Quicken and +1 Def from the Piper on the Devil Dogs should be good too.

Thanks! I decided to go with the first list in a couple of games today. I kept the Buccaneer on Sam because I tend to ram the Devil Dogs down my enemy's throat, which means that both them and their jack are not long for the world. Poor bastards.

Anyway, the first game was against Retribution. He was using this:

Garryth, Blade of Retribution (*5pts)
* Manticore (8pts)
Lady Aiyana & Master Holt (4pts)
Mage Hunter Strikeforce (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Mage Hunter Commander (2pts)
Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios (3pts)
Mage Hunter Assassin (2pts)
Narn, Mage Hunter of Ios (3pts)

The game started off pretty well - I shoved the Devil Dogs right into the face of his Strikeforce, and taking out most of the unit in exchange for the Dogs. The Mule swerved off to deal with the solos, and managed to kill both Eiryss and the Assassin with deviating scatters. Narn slipped by and was popped by Ashylnn, while Rocinante tangled with the Manticore. Things were generally going in my favor, but Garryth and Aiyana folded up what was left of the Dogs and managed to tag Ashlynn. So a close loss.

Next up I played some Circle. He brought this:

Grayle the Farstrider (*6pts)
* Gorax (4pts)
* Warpwolf Stalker (10pts)
Wolves of Orboros (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
* Wolf of Orboros Officer & Standard (2pts)
Lord of the Feast (4pts)
Wolflord Morraig (5pts)

This didn't go as well even from the outset. The Lord of the Feast used his crazy Raven bounce to jump into the Dogs, kill a bunch, and then burn those corpse tokens beating on Ashlynn. He only put a few boxes on her, but it meant diverting my turn to killing his stupid rear end. The remaining the Dogs tarpitted the Wolves for a couple turns, but I just struggled to bring force to bear because a ton of his poo poo was stealthed and was too tough for blast damage to dent. The game wound up with Ashlynn and a dented Rocinante going toe to toe with Grayle and the Stalker and losing.

I basically seem to have trouble with the endgame and really cinching a game. Even with the second game I felt like I was doing well in terms of board control, but even when I thinned out the wolves and killed Morraig I couldn't get a handle on Grayle. I've had a number of games where I basically took his stuff apart during the game, and then fumbled it in the last turn to let him kill Ashlynn.

I don't think this is a problem with Ashlynn - she has solid defensive stats, and she is a pretty mean fighter, but I seem to overextend her when it gets down to the wire and fail to come up with a kill. It's frustrating, but I'm not sure what I'm really doing wrong. I did pick up Damiano today, so next time I play I will use him and see if I do better with a more support-oriented caster.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
From my short time playing Ashlynn, I learned that after like turn 1, Ashlynn should always have admonition on her. Also, when playing against horde, focus on killing the beasts before the warlock unless you just get a great assassination vector on the warlock.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
I jumped into warmachine with both feet today.
I was told to use Skarre2 if I wanted to go jack heavy with Cryx, so I picked up her, and the battlebox today.
My question here is, to get to 15 points do I just grab a mercenary/cryx solo to fill out the last 2 points, or would it be worth dropping the deathrippers, or a deathripper and a defiler to pick up a bigger warjack?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Are you trying to play 15 pts mangled metal (jacks only)? If so, rejig the jacks or just play a point or two down. If not, Id grab a warwitch siren. Theyre awesome and help you run lots of jacks.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
So I needed to fill out 4pts for a 25pt Highlander tournament coming up in May. Its limited to no characters. 1 Warcaster/Warlock, 1 Jack/Beast, 1 Unit and 1 solo. Any remaining points must be spent of jacks/beasts but you cannot take more than 1 of any jack/beast.

Not having a large choice of good cominations I was left with 4pts. Trolls only have 1 beast worth 4pts and that is the Swamp Troll.

Grim however needs a certain type of high class troll in his posse. So not just any troll from the bogs and swamps will do.

He chose this dapper gentleman:

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
For the Reckoner is states that models hit with the cannon suffer -2 defense. I take it this means only individual models and not units.

So say I fire at a group of arcane mages and tag one. That model dies but the rest of the unit will be fine and not suffer the -2 to defense?

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

That's right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Chain Attack question:

If I hit with both of my fists on a hydra for my chain attack to go off, do I then have to hit with the chain attack or does it just happen and I auto throw?

• Locked thread