Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Sad Mammal posted:

It doesn't look like the non-stompbox Turbo Tuner will ever be re-released. What are some other tuners of similar quality in that price range (~$120)?

Not pedal form I'm assuming you mean other wise just buy the turbo tuner pedal
http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-PW-CT-07-Tru-Strobe-Tuner/dp/B000Z5VB4O
Planet waves makes one

Korg makes the pitchblack tuner too that has strobe modes, but it is in pedal form only I think.

I've been using a Snark clip on tuner lately and it honestly does everything I need it to do for $20, plus it can tune my non electrified acoustics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

I have a question about hiring a contractor for audio work. I'm developing a music app that's going to need some custom instrument sounds for playing back MIDI data. There'd be a decent number of instrument types -- about 25 or so total -- and they'd need to be packaged up into a soundfont file.

I have a friend who I think would be capable of doing this, but before I talk to him about it I want to figure out a ballpark figure for how much this sort of thing might cost. I know something like this isn't easy to throw together, and I'm prepared to spend a good amount of cash (meaning a few thousand dollars if necessary), but I honestly have no idea whether this is something like a $1000 job or a $10000 job.

I guess my other question is, in case this sort of thing is out of my price range, what are my options for licensing an existing soundfont? I've found some places where you can buy soundfonts, but I'm pretty sure that you're only purchasing a license to use them for music production, not for a commercial application like mine.

Any advice?

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
Are there any TC Helicon Voicelive 2 users in here? I was thinking about starting a thread about this wonderful tool that I've owned for a year and have barely scratched the surface of its functions. I'd like to hear what you use it for, tips, tricks and workarounds and how "deep" your knowledge of it is, etc.

But, if I'm the only one that uses one, a thread would be kind of pointless.

Same with my Presonus Studiolive 16.

These things do so freaking much, I feel like I'm abusing them/throwing money away by not having a deeper knowledge of all the awesome things they can do.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For those of you in bands--where the hell do you guys practice? I live in an apartment in a medium sized city (so at home is a no-no), and there's various studio spaces and such but just about everywhere they have a "no loud music" stipulation in the leases. Almost every storage unit has a "no loud music" stipulation. Warehouses are expensive. We've got instruments and ambition but nowhere to play! And you can only play in other people's basements for so long.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Dolphin posted:

For those of you in bands--where the hell do you guys practice? I live in an apartment in a medium sized city (so at home is a no-no), and there's various studio spaces and such but just about everywhere they have a "no loud music" stipulation in the leases. Almost every storage unit has a "no loud music" stipulation. Warehouses are expensive. We've got instruments and ambition but nowhere to play! And you can only play in other people's basements for so long.

Go ask the local metal band dudes where they jam, that's what I'd do.

Fortunately the place my band practices at is underground.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I've heard of bands practicing in those self-storage units, they are usually in an industrial section of the town so noise isn't a major concern but you'd just have to clear it with the owner.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I've got a question: Why is my mixer causing a VERY loud hiss through my speakers?

Here are the players::
Microphone - Shure Beta 87A
Cables - Mogami xlr's and 1/4's to XLR
Pedal - Boss VE-20
Mixer - Yamaha Passport 300
Preamp - ART Tube MP Project Series
Speakers - QSC K12

When I go:

Mic -> Pedal -> -> -> Mixer -> Speakers
.............\->Preamp/.....\-> Monitor

I get a very loud his.

So then, while troubleshooting, adding and removing components, I found that when I remove the mixer all-together I get no hiss at all.

Mic -> Preamp -> Pedal -> Speakers

However, I lose some aspect of control to the sound (which doesn't bother me too much) and don't know how to set up the monitor now.

I want to sell the Mixer and buy a new one. I think the problem might be that the mixer and the speakers are both active, powered. If that's the case, I'll just throw money at the problem and buy a passive mixer.

So, what say the experts?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Can you put the mixer after the preamp? Most electronic devices will put out a very low level of noise that usually isn't audible, but if you feed that tiny noise into any sort of amplifier then it can end up as a noticable hiss. The exact same thing happened to me with a new volume pedal, was noisy as hell until I put it into the send/return loop, bypassing the preamp.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

RandomCheese posted:

Can you put the mixer after the preamp?
When my setup was producing the hiss, the the signal was passing through the preamp then to the mixer.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Dolphin posted:

We spent ages looking for somewhere and eventually went in on a small storage container with another band. It's cheap enough between ten of us, convenient and 24 hour access. The only hassle I've had is beating it into them that the top of my organ is not a rolling mat.

Apart from that, go find where the cool art kids hang out and ask if any of them have warehouse space they want to rent out. This has the added bonus of making you the first call band for any house parties they throw.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Solved. Ignore :)

H13 fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 8, 2012

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Is there a primer for using GarageBand on the iPad anywhere? I know nothing about music or music-making, so any guide to these ends will be pretty helpful.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Here is a quick overview of the basic functions that may be useful. Also check youtube as there is always dozens of tutorial videos for any given topic and there should be some for any of Garagebands' features.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The Bananana posted:

I've got a question: Why is my mixer causing a VERY loud hiss through my speakers?

What output options do you have on the mixer? Is it like the Stagepas 300? And are you using a K12 for the monitor speaker as well? If so, are you getting hiss through the speakers and the monitor?

If you're not getting it through the monitor line, it may be an impedance mismatch issue.

How are you hooking up the speakers to the mixer? Are you straight 1/4"-1/4"? If you're going 1/4" to XLR it's possible that somewhere along the line you have 2-conductor 1/4 when you need 3-conductor, or vice versa.

Otherwise, it's common for these smaller "package" units to be pretty much unusable with anything but the original pa pair they came with.

EatDirt
Nov 13, 2009
I am very interested in learning to play the violin, and do not want to pay 25,000$ for one.
The optimal price I am looking to pay is under 500$, I know I am not going to get the best for that, but hopefully one that isn't warped.

Anyone got suggestions?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

How difficult/expensive is it to move a pickup selector switch on an electric guitar? I have a single cut Ibanez with the switch in between the volume and tone knobs, but I always liked the Gibson style of having it on the upper horn of the guitar.

I don't really have the tools to do it myself so I guess I'm just wondering what I could reasonably expect to be charged to have a tech route the cavity for the electronics, drill the hole for the switch, and wire it all up. I'd probably put a second volume knob where the switch is now, but that's pretty easy to install.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

EatDirt posted:

I am very interested in learning to play the violin, and do not want to pay 25,000$ for one.
The optimal price I am looking to pay is under 500$, I know I am not going to get the best for that, but hopefully one that isn't warped.

Anyone got suggestions?

Violin is one instrument where you really need a live instructor, so try and find one of those and ask them about good luthiers (or rental options) in your area. If you do decide to buy, try to get your teacher (or another experienced violinist) to go shopping with you to evaluate the individual instruments.

Drifter287 posted:

How difficult/expensive is it to move a pickup selector switch on an electric guitar? I have a single cut Ibanez with the switch in between the volume and tone knobs, but I always liked the Gibson style of having it on the upper horn of the guitar.

I'd be real hesitant to cut up a nice guitar like that, for fear the additional cutouts might adversely affect the tone. Plus routing that into an LP-style solid body sounds like a massive pain in the rear end (more $$$ in guitar tech terms).

EatDirt
Nov 13, 2009

h_double posted:

Violin is one instrument where you really need a live instructor, so try and find one of those and ask them about good luthiers (or rental options) in your area. If you do decide to buy, try to get your teacher (or another experienced violinist) to go shopping with you to evaluate the individual instruments.

That is the best advice I have gotten on SA, thank you good sir. :tipshat:

samo
Feb 3, 2008
I play in a metal band and I play samples during the show. Clips from movies and a couple of sounds along the lines of Neurosis or Buzzoven.

Right now I am using a Boss SP-505, but it fills up quickly. I think it is designed more for drum loops and such. I am looking for something that could quickly and easily play samples, for a decent price.

I have an ipad and a really cheap android tablet. I don't really want to take my ipad out to bars, but I just found out about Ambrosia's Soundboard. It seems to be my best bet. But I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it.

Also does anyone knows what bands like Neurosis, Buzzoven, Ministry or even groups like Wu-Tang use to put clips in their set?

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

samo posted:

I play in a metal band and I play samples during the show. Clips from movies and a couple of sounds along the lines of Neurosis or Buzzoven.

Right now I am using a Boss SP-505, but it fills up quickly. I think it is designed more for drum loops and such. I am looking for something that could quickly and easily play samples, for a decent price.

I have an ipad and a really cheap android tablet. I don't really want to take my ipad out to bars, but I just found out about Ambrosia's Soundboard. It seems to be my best bet. But I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it.

Also does anyone knows what bands like Neurosis, Buzzoven, Ministry or even groups like Wu-Tang use to put clips in their set?

Have you heard of BackToBasics? Man... Or Astro-Man? (a surf band) uses this to play samples during their show. See this video on Youtube for example. You put all your samples in a folder and assign each one to a key on your keyboard. Then you can play each one, and you can even change the pitch and speed and volume and stuff in real time. You would have to bring a computer to the show, though, so maybe more trouble than it's worth.

Brettbot fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 18, 2012

samo
Feb 3, 2008

Brettbot posted:

Have you heard of BackToBasics? Man... Or Astro-Man? (a surf band) uses this to play samples during their show. See this video on Youtube for example. You put all your samples in a folder and assign each one to a key on your keyboard. Then you can play each one, and you can even change the pitch and speed and volume and stuff in real time. You would have to bring a computer to the show, though, so maybe more trouble than it's worth.

That program looks pretty awesome! It doesn't have any specs, but I see one of the requirements is Windows 95, so this should run pretty well on a netbook right? I think my band mate has one he isn't using.

Oh and that band is pretty sweet! I have to check out more of their stuff.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

samo posted:

That program looks pretty awesome! It doesn't have any specs, but I see one of the requirements is Windows 95, so this should run pretty well on a netbook right? I think my band mate has one he isn't using.

Oh and that band is pretty sweet! I have to check out more of their stuff.

Yeah, I would think it's fine. It's a very simple program. You can download it and try it out to make sure it works before you pay and register it, too.

EDIT: Now that I have more time, I'll add that it's a pretty useful program, too. Some features are Mac-only, but most aren't. You can make a sample loop until you toggle it off, or loop until you let go of the button (stopping immediately or finish the sample first), or play once and then end. And I think it's only limited by your computer's memory, because I use it to play "samples" that are entire drum tracks, up to 4 minutes long. Take a look a the online manual to get an idea of all the things it does. And yeah, MOAM is one of my favorite bands, they're awesome live.

Brettbot fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 19, 2012

samo
Feb 3, 2008

Brettbot posted:

Yeah, I would think it's fine. It's a very simple program. You can download it and try it out to make sure it works before you pay and register it, too.

EDIT: Now that I have more time, I'll add that it's a pretty useful program, too. Some features are Mac-only, but most aren't. You can make a sample loop until you toggle it off, or loop until you let go of the button (stopping immediately or finish the sample first), or play once and then end. And I think it's only limited by your computer's memory, because I use it to play "samples" that are entire drum tracks, up to 4 minutes long. Take a look a the online manual to get an idea of all the things it does. And yeah, MOAM is one of my favorite bands, they're awesome live.

Thanks a lot! I am going to check it out for sure! On a side note, MOAM has a huge discography, where should I start?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Adding to the Man or Astro Man? and Back to Basics love.
In the live shows "CoCo" uses a modified computer keyboard to trigger the samples it's one of those huge old IBM ones with physical switches for each key that some of them have been modified to more robust switches to handle the abuse of a live show.

I got probed at a MOAM show:wth:

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

samo posted:

Thanks a lot! I am going to check it out for sure! On a side note, MOAM has a huge discography, where should I start?

Well, it all depends. If you want twangy, reverby, old-school surf music, the first four album era (1993's "Is It... Man Or Astroman?" up to 1996's "Experiment Zero") are your best bet. After that(1997's "Made From Technetium" through 2000's "A Spectrum Of Infinite Scale") the guitars get crunchier, they use more sound effects and electronic music, and move away from "traditional" surf music.
If you want a taste without spending the cash, you can click here and download (free and legal) bootleg recordings. Live At The 40 Watt is a good one.

Brettbot fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 20, 2012

RoofieMyselfForFun
Apr 5, 2010
Is there any program out there that will allow me to sing (or hum)into a computer microphone and it will tell me what notes I'm singing? I feel as though I'm slightly tone deaf so when i write lyrics down I can't exactly match what I need to play on guitar.

I tried using my guitar tuner but the mic on it just blows and gives me like 4 different note readings

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

RoofieMyselfForFun posted:

Is there any program out there that will allow me to sing (or hum)into a computer microphone and it will tell me what notes I'm singing? I feel as though I'm slightly tone deaf so when i write lyrics down I can't exactly match what I need to play on guitar.

I tried using my guitar tuner but the mic on it just blows and gives me like 4 different note readings

Melodyne will do that, it's kind of pricy for the full version but you can get a cheap maybe free version that will do that for you.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It might be worth recording your humming, and then referring to that while you try to find the notes on your guitar. It'll help improve your ear (I have the same trouble) and having it recorded will prevent the melody in your head getting changed by the notes you play on the guitar. Training your ears a bit will help with the whole thing, so it's worth doing that instead of relying on a crutch if you can

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I am pretty much a complete newbie when it comes to making music and I'd like to start getting into producing my own electronic music (like chiptune music, Boards of Canada, Passion Pit, etc).

Is there any sort of music creation software I could use to start getting the hang of making my own music, especially electronic genre music (e.g. Sibelius, Fruity Loops, etc.)? Are there any books or guides that are recommended for this kind of stuff (like an Idiot's Guide to Making Music)?

I appreciate the advice! :)

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.
I have an Axiom 61 keyboard/MIDI controller. After dicking about with it for a while, I've got myself some decent studio monitors and a proper audio interface (Mackie MR8 Mk II and an Presonus Audiobox V22SL if you give a poo poo). So I need to buy a 12V DC adapater/power supply to power the keyboard, since I'm using the audio interface for MIDI and not using the USB cord anymore.

My dilemma is that finding a power supply with the correct specifications in Australia seems to be very hard for some reason.

The manual specifies 12v DC 250-300mA, centre positive, 2.5mm inner diameter, 5.5mm out diameter. The closest I can find is this 5A power supply, apparently designed for sensitive electronics (they have a cheaper model not designed for sensitive electronics).

A forum post on M-Audio's site suggested to someone querying a 1A power supply that the keyboard would only draw the mA it needed, with no damage to the keyboard. Can anyone verify this? I don't want to blow my keyboard, or any of the attached gear, up.

modeski fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 26, 2012

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the amp rating is the maximum it can supply so anything below that value will run fine (you could run 15 of those keyboards from that one PSU and it still be ok), it's the voltage value you have to be careful of as there is no leniency there.

Seems a bit much to pay for a single adapter though, 12v DC is incredibly common and eBay is peppered with them, but you could probably walk into any Dick Smith or Tandy or whatever and walk out with a universal 12v DC adapter and a bunch of different sized tips for less than $20. If you have any large external HDDs hanging around you may even be able to use the PSU for that as they are all 12v DC centre-positive.
I wouldn't worry about the "sensitive" qualification, it's probably intended for oscilloscopes or similar, I've used all manner of no-name 12v adapters with all sorts of musical stuff and have never noticed any excess noise or other sound problems.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

RandomCheese posted:

Yeah the amp rating is the maximum it can supply so anything below that value will run fine (you could run 15 of those keyboards from that one PSU and it still be ok), it's the voltage value you have to be careful of as there is no leniency there.

Seems a bit much to pay for a single adapter though, 12v DC is incredibly common and eBay is peppered with them, but you could probably walk into any Dick Smith or Tandy or whatever and walk out with a universal 12v DC adapter and a bunch of different sized tips for less than $20. If you have any large external HDDs hanging around you may even be able to use the PSU for that as they are all 12v DC centre-positive.
I wouldn't worry about the "sensitive" qualification, it's probably intended for oscilloscopes or similar, I've used all manner of no-name 12v adapters with all sorts of musical stuff and have never noticed any excess noise or other sound problems.

Awesome, thanks. I might have a wander round Dick Smiths at the weekend.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.

OrangeGuy posted:

I am pretty much a complete newbie when it comes to making music and I'd like to start getting into producing my own electronic music (like chiptune music, Boards of Canada, Passion Pit, etc).

Is there any sort of music creation software I could use to start getting the hang of making my own music, especially electronic genre music (e.g. Sibelius, Fruity Loops, etc.)? Are there any books or guides that are recommended for this kind of stuff (like an Idiot's Guide to Making Music)?

Ableton Live is really great for poking around and working with both linear and non-linear sequencing. I would try picking up the Live Intro version for $139. (Anything you learn there will map to other DAWs more or less, so if you hate it you can always switch).

Then go watch some Tom Cosm videos to learn how to put stuff together. Here's one for basslines, but his 10-part series on making a complete song will teach you more than a thousand books or forum posts ever could.

http://vimeo.com/10397006

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

OrangeGuy posted:

I use FL Studio for production (and about a bazillion other programs for in-depth editing) and it's done me fine so far. I will say that it probably differs the most from the other major DAWs in that FL was and continues to be designed to build tracks quickly. So Ableton may be a better option. One nice thing about FL Studio, though, is that you can download the entire program and try out basically everything you could do with it. You won't be able to save projects, but you would know what you're getting yourself into.

In addition to the Tom Cosm videos, I've gotten a lot of useful info out of Music Theory for Computer Musicians and Composition for Computer Musicians, both by Michael Hewitt. They're kind of geared towards being able to produce music in any genre, though he does focus more heavily on electronic music of all types. Also, samplecraze.com has some great synth programming and sampling info under the "free tutorials" link.

And a general word of advice, whatever program you end up using, I strongly suggest finding a good synth and a good sampler in whatever format the program supports (VSTi, AU, RTAS) and spending some significant time just getting to know your way around both. I started out by downloading any free synth I could just to have them at my disposal, and for a long time my music was chained to whatever presets somebody else had put together for synthesizer x or y. Learning, when you first start out, how to actually program sounds on a synth or how to set up and capture on a sampler will put you in a good position to dive in. DAWs equip you to do drat well near anything, so you need to take it upon yourself to make sure you have the compositional skills and music foundation you need.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
My band and I are sick of our town's lovely rehearsal studio and their lovely amps and equipment and terrible rates. We want to find a space to rent (like a garage/lockup) that we can equip with our own kit. What should we be looking for and where should we look for it? I guess it obviously needs to be spacious enough for the three of us, damp-free (so the equipment isn't damaged), and have an electrical supply so we can power our equipment and not freeze to death in winter... what else?

I've checked Gumtree (UK equivalent of Craigslists) and Rightmove but I can only find stuff like this: http://www.gumtree.com/p/flats-houses/lock-up-garage-in-cambridge-city/100735375#gallery-item-full-2 Which looks like it isn't gonna cut it, am I right? I'm out of town for a couple of weeks so I can't go and look at places just yet.

Didn't there used to be an old thread where people showed off their lockups/practice spaces? Anyone got a link for that?

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 28, 2012

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

modeski posted:

Awesome, thanks. I might have a wander round Dick Smiths at the weekend.

Quick :laffo: update on this. My missus was shopping yesterday, so I asked her to pop into Dick Smiths and see if they had a 12V DC power supply. The guy that worked there tried to give her an AC power supply and said "It might work."

Thankfully my wife has more sense than that and said she'd leave it. Honestly, I didn't expect them to employ geniuses, but they must be really scraping the barrel for employees.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Maybe they are preparing for the eventual integration into the Woolworths brand already by giving supermarket-level technical advice? loving really though that's such a fundamental error it's hard to believe they don't give their staff basic training to gain their so-called Techspert title. Last time I was in Jaycar buying a plug I got the 3rd degree to make sure that I knew what I was doing with it and wasn't going to do something daft like power a television set off it. But DSE? gently caress it, it'll probably work. That smoke? Normal. Next customer please!

Here is an adapter that looks to fill your needs.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

RandomCheese posted:

Maybe they are preparing for the eventual integration into the Woolworths brand already by giving supermarket-level technical advice? loving really though that's such a fundamental error it's hard to believe they don't give their staff basic training to gain their so-called Techspert title. Last time I was in Jaycar buying a plug I got the 3rd degree to make sure that I knew what I was doing with it and wasn't going to do something daft like power a television set off it. But DSE? gently caress it, it'll probably work. That smoke? Normal. Next customer please!

Here is an adapter that looks to fill your needs.

I know, it's ridiculous. I can only imagine the amount of customers coming in furious that their appliances have blown up. I went to Jaycar today actually, got a decent adapter with a selection of plugs on the end for $25. It worked fine on my keyboard and all is good. Didn't get the third degree, mind you, but there was a kerfuffle going on with two elderly folk trying to buy an HDMI splitter or something.

Behold! A Elk!
May 12, 2009
Can anybody tell me the cheapest way to get realistic sounding drums in my songs without having a drum set. Perhaps a sort of program? I would prefer something where I can trigger the sound myself just to give things more of a recorded feel rather than programming beats, but if it comes to that I can deal with it. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
There are midi drum programs and plug ins like EZDrummer you could look into.