Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Mightaswell posted:

I have an OM 1.4 with an OM-1 attached that I would take offers on...

I could trade you an ME Super with a 50mm 2.0 attached.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Molten Llama posted:

Oh dear sweet Jesus, if you ever look at a jug of D-76 and think "When the hell did I mix that up?", just throw the whole drat thing away. :gonk:

I thought slightly expired D-76 was bad. I was wrong. Very expired D-76 is horrifying. What a terrible, terrible way to start the weekend.

that's one reason why i will always prefer one shot developers. rodinal 4ever

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Yeah, I should be clearer: I knew it was no good to use. Year-old stock solution ain't gonna cut it.

The problem was the smell. Eau de mass grave. Yick. And the three shades of dark orange ooze didn't help things either.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Does anyone have trouble with 35mm Tri X curling very badly? Not like it's trying to curl back like it was in the cannister (well, no more than any other film), but curling around it's length. Like it's trying to make a 6 foot long burrito. My negative holder for my scanner can't keep it flat and I get newton rings from the scanner glass sometimes. Anyway, I've got it in negative sleeves under a heavy book to see if that helps.

I'm giving it another shot as I only used it when I didn't know what I was doing (not that I'm pro at it now) and didn't like the results. Now, other than the newton rings, I'm I liking it. I really like the way HP5 prints, but I'm not overly impressed with my scans of it, Tri X seems to be scanning much better and I'll try a few prints from it later to see how that goes.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Yes my Tri-X always curls like that at first. Just flatten it out and it'll be fine.

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.
I find putting Tri-X in sleeves just before it dries completely and putting something heaving on it helps much more than doing the same when it's dry.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

I usually roll it up backwards and stick it in a film cannister for a few hours. Its fine after that.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

PushingKingston posted:

I find putting Tri-X in sleeves just before it dries completely and putting something heaving on it helps much more than doing the same when it's dry.

I find that it sticks a lot trying to get it in a sleeve when it's not dry and I'm afraid that I'll damage it :ohdear:

FasterThanLight posted:

I usually roll it up backwards and stick it in a film cannister for a few hours. Its fine after that.

I might give this a try next time I do it.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

PushingKingston posted:

I find putting Tri-X in sleeves just before it dries completely

When I accidentally do that I end up with film stuck to the sleeve. :argh:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

FasterThanLight posted:

I've got a friend who does that as well and it seems to work pretty well.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
All film spends 24 hours between my copies of Bystander: The History of Street Photography and New Topographics before being scanned. I also have a press made with balsa wood and 4 spring clamps for problem negatives.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Reichstag posted:

When I accidentally do that I end up with film stuck to the sleeve. :argh:

Be patient and let 'em dry properly first! (I've learnt the hard way too). My way is to just let the full roll hang in a low dust area and dry with a peg on the end for a day or two, seems to help a lot.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I love Velvia. I'm not good at using it, yet, but I love it. Too bad it's so drat expensive (and processing costs! :suicide:).

Fuji Velvia 50 Late Winter-3 by Execudork, on Flickr

Fuji Velvia 50 Late Winter-15 by Execudork, on Flickr

Fuji Velvia Colour and Exposure-5 by Execudork, on Flickr

Fuji Velvia Colour and Exposure-6 by Execudork, on Flickr

In related news, I have acquired a Tetenal E-6 kit, so I'm accumulating slide rolls to eventually develop all at once. Am I right in thinking that E-6 is similar to C-41 in that the film fits the process, unlike B&W where you have to adjust developing times to fit different film speeds? I've got (so far) ISO 50 and ISO 100 slide film, and I'll pick up a few more rolls in a month or two, does it matter what speed it is as far as my home processing is concerned?

\/\/\/ Cool, thanks!

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 16, 2012

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
You assume correctly, processing is uniform for all speeds.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
got my 8x10 portra back from the lab. these negatives are so pretty

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

So I got that Tri X scanned in, I'm happy with the results. I exposed it at 800 then looked at the documentation. Kodak says process normally for 800 and to do it for 3.5 minutes in HC-110(B). I thought this was way to short so I got on the internet to see about using dillution H or something. Evidently there is a lot of drama about this HC-110 and Tri X times. Anyway, a lot of people were saying they do Tri X in dilution B anywhere from 5 minutes to 6.5. I figured I'd do it for 7 minutes since I underexposed a stop just to give it a little bump and I think the results turned out well.

Anyway, here are a couple examples.

Also, tried a roll of HP5 pushed to 1600. It comes out pretty drat grainy.

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

MS-DURP gives you the only complete set of software tools for 17-bit systems.

eggsovereasy posted:

Also, tried a roll of HP5 pushed to 1600. It comes out pretty drat grainy.

Let me tell you about grain

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

penneydude posted:

Let me tell you about grain

Wow, that is quite striking - it almost looks like pointillism, and also it looks completely unlike any kind of digital grain that I've seen, ever. Especially how it still manages to preserve some of the feeling depth around the fingers, very grainy digital pictures usually look "flat" to me. Or is this how it is processed?

Also it was obviously pushed - what speed was that, which film?

VomitOnLino fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 16, 2012

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
grainchat 2012

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

MS-DURP gives you the only complete set of software tools for 17-bit systems.
Hell yeah! ^^^

VomitOnLino posted:

Wow, that is quite striking - it almost looks like pointillism, and also it looks completely unlike any kind of digital grain that I've seen, ever. Especially how it still manages to preserve some of the feeling depth around the fingers, very grainy digital pictures usually look "flat" to me. Or is this how it is processed?

Also it was obviously pushed - what speed was that, which film?

This was HP5+ @ 6400 in Diafine. I was kind of hitting the limits of my scanner too, so there might be some noise from that, but I think most of it is just the film being pissed off that it had to work so hard :pseudo:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

From the few samples here so far it looks like HP5+ generally gets more grainy than Tri-X when pushed. Or would it be more a difference in developer used?

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

nielsm posted:

From the few samples here so far it looks like HP5+ generally gets more grainy than Tri-X when pushed. Or would it be more a difference in developer used?

Not sure, I used HC-110 for both the TX@800 and HP5@1600 photos I posted above.

I've found that scans of HP5 seem to be more grainy than the prints I make from the same exposure, so that could make a difference here too.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
My five dollar garage-sale Kodak Duaflex IV is proving to be probably the best networking investment I've ever made. Maybe it's haunted by a lucky old man ghost or something.

Walking around with this goofy thing hanging around my neck starts a LOT of conversations with older folks. "Oh man, I remember those from when I was a kid! People still shoot film? Wow!" It's prompted invitations to two solo gallery shows so far. Today, I was wandering around taking some shots around town, still had it on me when I went to a big hardware store on an errand. One of the employees asked me about it, then asked for my phone number - she offered a free unspecified 35mm enlarger and a bunch of old cameras, including an unspecified stereo camera. Her kids didn't want to use that stuff and she wants someone to use them still.

At the checkout counter, an older gentleman stopped me to ask what I was shooting with and if I still developed my own film. He said he worked for Agfa for quite awhile, then asked if I'd be interested in buying an Epson scanner for $700, said he didn't need it anymore - he didn't say what model it was, but I'd guess the V700 or V750 at that price range. I said I couldn't afford that, he asked what I did for a living, I told him I'm an art teacher and told him about the kids' photo workshops I've been teaching... and he dropped the price to sixty dollars. Said he'll call me in two weeks when he's back in town along with a big box of other photo gear he wants to get rid of for free.

A pair of pictures I've taken with the Duaflex awhile ago:

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 17, 2012

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

im going to big sur for a few days alone tomorrow:

gunna shoot the pan f on my zenit, fwiw

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I too want a texas leica.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
get one. the 90 is maybe my favorite camera.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force
This is sort of a cross-post from the long exposure thread...

I'm planning to go out Friday night for the Lyrids meteor shower and try some absurdly long exposures. So long as I take reciprocity failure into account, doing this with B/W film should work just fine, yes? Any advice from someone who has tried this before?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

moonduck posted:

This is sort of a cross-post from the long exposure thread...

I'm planning to go out Friday night for the Lyrids meteor shower and try some absurdly long exposures. So long as I take reciprocity failure into account, doing this with B/W film should work just fine, yes? Any advice from someone who has tried this before?

I don't see why it wouldn't work. I'm not into astro stuff though, so no personal experience beyond some night landscapes.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
What is a good and cheap 35mm rangefinder. I was playing with a friends leica the other day and now I want a rangefinder to call my own. Sadly, there is no way in hell I can afford a leica, so I'm wondering what other good options are out there.

Fully manual is fine and actually kind of preferred. I do a fair bit of pushing, and I ran into problems with cameras like the xa

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Demon_Corsair posted:

What is a good and cheap 35mm rangefinder. I was playing with a friends leica the other day and now I want a rangefinder to call my own. Sadly, there is no way in hell I can afford a leica, so I'm wondering what other good options are out there.

Fully manual is fine and actually kind of preferred. I do a fair bit of pushing, and I ran into problems with cameras like the xa

I'm not sure what price is too much for you, but you can get a used Voigtlander Bessa + Voigtlander lens for about 1k though.

Most of the cheap fixed lens Japanese compact rangefinders from the 70's are AE only, but the Canonet QL17 GIII can be operated full manual. From what I understand the meter gets turned off when you shout it on manual though, which seems silly. Anyway, you can get one for $150 or so.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
What qualifies as "cheap'? You can get a Contax G1 and a lens for under $400. That's about the best dollar/performance ratio out there.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
A Zorki 4k with a Jupiter-8 should be good enough to start.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

eggsovereasy posted:

I'm not sure what price is too much for you, but you can get a used Voigtlander Bessa + Voigtlander lens for about 1k though.

If we're talking 1K, you could probably find an M2 and an old 50 Summicron for about that much too.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Minolta Hi-Matics should be like $50 and I think are all mechanical aside from the light meter.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Welp, you're not getting a G1 and a lens for $400 anymore. Looks like lens prices have risen substantially from when I got all mine a year and a half ago. I've heard the availability of Micro 4/3 adapters have increased the demand but prices are sky high right now. It was never a cheap system, but it's getting a lot closer to the boutique market prices that it was intended for. Still worth every penny, but definitely not a budget purchase.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

eggsovereasy posted:

Most of the cheap fixed lens Japanese compact rangefinders from the 70's are AE only, but the Canonet QL17 GIII can be operated full manual. From what I understand the meter gets turned off when you shout it on manual though, which seems silly. Anyway, you can get one for $150 or so.

Hell, for $1k you could nearly get a Mamiya 7.

My vote for "cheap manual RF" is the Yashica Lynx 14E. It fills many of the same roles as the XA but is a lot less temperamental. It's fully mechanical, no pads of death, Copal leaf shutter, and a fast f/1.4 lens. They used to be in the $60-100 range.

Downsides: the lens is supposedly prone to flare in extreme conditions (it's single coated). The counters are often broken, the battery is in the top, and people often leave the battery in until goop gets all over the inside of the RF.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

Hell, for $1k you could nearly get a Mamiya 7.

Well, 1k is cheap compared to an M9 :colbert:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Demon_Corsair posted:

Get a Zorki 6. Mine came with a collapsible 50mm for around a hundred bucks.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

8th-samurai posted:

Get a Zorki 6. Mine came with a collapsible 50mm for around a hundred bucks.
Zorki 6s are a major crapshoot though. I have two and the film advance on both are absolutely horrible. Super stiff and gritty. I've broken film off the reel with it because I can't tell when the roll ends.

Zorki 4Ks are a much more solid purchase because the design isn't as shaky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I've got a FED2 (a Leica II copy) with a "new" Jupiter 8-1, really enjoy shooting with that. Another good one is the Minolta Hi-Matic 7sii, got a Rokkor f/1.7 has a meter but can be used in fully mechanical mode if you don't have a battery.

If you're interested in the Russian copies check out:
http://fedka.com/catalog/

You're guaranteed to get a working model in good nick, but you pay a premium.