Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Guess I'll attempt to explain such changes.

So instead of having two superstats that boost two abilities, you will now have a main superstat and two minor superstats, which get a boost, but don't bolster your damage output as your main one.

Also, you will only have one secondary equipment slot to work with, but at the same time a lot of bonuses that can work off of equipment perks, such as items that boost your offense or defense.

Because your primary superstat is going to have a spec tree associated with it, it's important that you choose one with good bonuses that precisely fit what you're trying to do.

Information on what the specialization trees hold. All of them, that is.

STR: The spec tree includes a lot of bonuses that increase your health and make you capable of fighting much more effectively in melee range. While the primary function of this stat is still boosting melee damage and knock stats, the specials it gets pretty much makes it perfect for normal melee combattants, whether they're offensive-geared or defensive.

DEX: Dex has a nice spec tree that works as the substitute for the EGO stat. That is, the specials it gets increase critical severity and have other related effects. DEX also bolsters some dodge abilities, so it's an excellent stat to focus on if you either are a dodge tank, or use any sort of critical mechanics; DEX is good for both melee and ranged.

CON: This is, without a doubt, the tank stat. All its specializations focus on mechanics that make you take more damage, resist bad effects, and even work off of taking hits. It's not as focused as STR is, so if you're a ranged tank or just really want a character with a big focus on defense, CON's your stat.

INT: This one's got some pretty neat bonuses that allow you to act faster, get some energy bonuses, and actually boost your side-stats. For a mixed bag of bonuses, INT seems to get some pretty neat perks and could probably work alright if you plan to make an all-rounded character with a focus on energy management.

EGO: Ego's now the go-to stat for ranged damage. If you are in any way a ranged DPS fighter, Ego should be a secondary stat. Its superstat bonuses are pretty weird, though, so it's probably better off if you stick with another one of the superstats than EGO.

PRE: Presence gets its focus here as a healers' stat, with bonuses that bolster the effectiveness at which you heal. It's a bit light on offensive boosts, however, so if you're not planning on becoming a dedicated healer, leave this as a secondary stat.

REC: Recovery is still a horrible stat, and it has really blase bonuses to back it up that don't work to its natural benefits at all. REC on its own grants some bonus health recovery, however, but it's quite miniscule. Taking Conviction could probably heal you faster than this stat ever could.

END: Endurance is pretty neat, and has some bonuses that can work for it in a lot of situations for offense and defense. It's not very focused on any single aspect, but the way its bonuses are crafted to actually work directly with the super-stat involved makes it seem pretty good.

To put it simply, the actual base bonuses each stat offers matter less; it's now much more about focusing on a primary superstat for its tree bonuses, followed by secondary superstats that will bolster it well. Basically, to sum up each stat without going in depth:

STR: Melee DPS
DEX: DPS/Dodge
CON: Tanking
INT: Control/Mixed
EGO: Ranged DPS
PRE: Healing
REC: Jack of all trades (master of none)
END: DPS/Energy handling/Mixed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
What will affect threat generation now if pre is out?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ColHannibal posted:

What will affect threat generation now if pre is out?

Role.

Or whatever they called the former Brawler/Avenger/etc. stuff. Tanky ones get a positive threat modifier, DPS-ey and Heal-ey ones get a negative threat modifier.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Role.

Or whatever they called the former Brawler/Avenger/etc. stuff. Tanky ones get a positive threat modifier, DPS-ey and Heal-ey ones get a negative threat modifier.

Mecha Nixon shall be even more powerful now....

Habits
Feb 25, 2008

Assume an accursed shape
cleanse through purity within
I finally got around to checking out the PTS and can't seem to switch builds, but the build I'm in when I copied my character over can have their role changed.. is this a bug?

I keep getting a message that roughly says you must wait 0 seconds before you change builds.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Article on the new "crafting" system:

http://www.champions-online.com/node/595693

It's basically TOR's orange items (Except the base items have stats too, I think) with a system to upgrade the components.

Bruc
May 30, 2006
Are any of the archetypes decent at PvP? I used to play this and am doing the f2p thing now for a bit, and I really had fun with the PvP last time I played but also remember how build dependent it was.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I played some PvP the other night (only two or so matches) and Glacier held its own. Took a lot of damage, but dealt a lot out too. I needed teammates to really take people down but it's a good PvP build since it can pin your enemies and also slow them down, allowing you and your allies to beat the poo poo out of them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

According to the forums, the Recognition vendors now have travel powers.

There's 3 kinds of ooze powers (Like the one you can get from Whiteout, but permanent of course), both Scarab travel powers, Bat Flight, plus 3 new Swinging skins (Vine, Chain and Energy.)

I don't know what the costs are.

Also there's a 15% bonus on CP purchases for this weekend. Kind of sucks, I was hoping for a sale since I have plenty of CP.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

You can buy the discounted CP and then sit on it until a sale though, for those of us who want to double-dip with discounts. I think I've got everything I want for the moment though...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kelp Plankton posted:

You can buy the discounted CP and then sit on it until a sale though, for those of us who want to double-dip with discounts. I think I've got everything I want for the moment though...

Yeah, it's still a good deal. It's just that I'm sitting on a ton of CP I was hoping to use in a sale.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

There's 3 kinds of ooze powers (Like the one you can get from Whiteout, but permanent of course), both Scarab travel powers, Bat Flight, plus 3 new Swinging skins (Vine, Chain and Energy.)
Huh. I guess the biggest question in the end is just how intolerable the farming mechanics will be. Also, how badly the impending stat changes will nerf my 40's. :v:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Asimo posted:

Huh. I guess the biggest question in the end is just how intolerable the farming mechanics will be. Also, how badly the impending stat changes will nerf my 40's. :v:

According to testers, the rate is pretty good. It just depends on the cost, I guess.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Double posting because this thread is so dead nobody will see an edit.

I patched up to check the prices.

The Swinging variations are actually on the Questionite vendors, not the Recognition ones. They go for 200k (The former CTPs are 250k.)

The others seem decently priced. Scarab Tunneling and Ooze Tunneling are 20 Recognition tokens (Only 2x the cost of a costume piece), Scarab Flight and Inky Ooze Tunneling are 30 each, Bat Flight is 40 and Metallic Ooze Tunneling is 50.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

REC: Recovery is still a horrible stat, and it has really blase bonuses to back it up that don't work to its natural benefits at all. REC on its own grants some bonus health recovery, however, but it's quite miniscule. Taking Conviction could probably heal you faster than this stat ever could.

...Damm. Guess things really have deeply changed if that's the case.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Bloodly posted:

...Damm. Guess things really have deeply changed if that's the case.

REC used to be real good because Regen required it, but now that any superstat will work on Regen, there arguably isn't much point to get REC.

Still, say what you will, I really like my END/REC/INT electric blaster. Constantly have Sparkstorm running and spam Gigabolts into packs of 10 mobs, and never really risk dying. I know any other stat would be better than REC, but I like it, okay. :colbert:

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Well it's not that it's gotten any worse, it's just that, especially with the coming update, all the other stats are going to have tweaks to what they do and appropriate bonuses that make them effective. REC just gets a mash of moderate bonuses, some of which don't really make much sense (A bonus that effects the potency of 'accelerated metabolism', a 1 pt advantage that only works roughly 20% of the time. Or boosting other stats based on your non super stats.)

So, yeah, if you need a ton of energy, REC's excusable as a focal stat. With the upcoming update, though, I'd be hard-pressed to find a real dedicated use for it as your primary stat.

Senator Government
May 26, 2006

Mr. Tax and Spend

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Bluhman posted:

(A bonus that effects the potency of 'accelerated metabolism', a 1 pt advantage that only works roughly 20% of the time. (...))
Why the hell has accelerated metabolism not been changed, anyway? They devs seem to think it's some magic energy generator or something, but it's barely noticeable even when it does proc. And yeah, bonuses to it are kind of pointless similarly. :geno:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Sorry the thread's been quiet too. There just... hasn't been much to talk about. The big update they're working on has apparently made the entire staff to vanish into the aether or something meanwhile until it hits. They haven't even updated the upcoming releases calendar since March, so I don't really have anything to toss into the OP.

I'll try and do and update of the advice and stuff when things hit, but meanwhile... uh, if anyone's even still playing, feel free to post your characters or something. :v:

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Asimo posted:

Sorry the thread's been quiet too. There just... hasn't been much to talk about. The big update they're working on has apparently made the entire staff to vanish into the aether or something meanwhile until it hits. They haven't even updated the upcoming releases calendar since March, so I don't really have anything to toss into the OP.

I'll try and do and update of the advice and stuff when things hit, but meanwhile... uh, if anyone's even still playing, feel free to post your characters or something. :v:

I thought the new patch was supposed to hit soon. Any hardline date on it?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's today.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I'm impressed with how much On Alert has changed, but I really can't get my head around the new item stats yet. Some of the alerts are fun, but good luck finding a pubbie group that knows how to do the syphon map without losing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

How terrible are the questionite rates right now?

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
Oh, cool, adventure packs are free now? That opens up the game quite a bit.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Pretty high at the moment, not being helped by there seeming to be a bug on the avaliable alerts you can get meaning that in game qestionite drops are actually quite low.

The new quest reward system is interesting, for most most quests you'll get a choice of three iteams, a random green drop or prestidge points, which are now a third currency. Also it looks like adventure packs are now avaliable to silver players as well.

When you first log in with an existing character you have to go to the powerhouse for a retcon, so at the moment theres about 200 people in each one slowing the fps right down.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Finally, anyway. And let's see, new stuff this patch...

• The questionite exchange, obviously. Basically the Dilithium exchange from STO, tradeable for in-game costumes and items or convertible to CP, and vice-versa.
  • The alerts, which are kind of like the open group quests, but joinable anywhere at any time.
  • The big changes to the stat system. Characters now have three super stats (one primary, two secondary), and several of the stats have been rebalanced (Ego now adding to ranged damage, a la strength).
  • The addition of a specialization system, similar to talent systems in other games, allowing some extra specialization of characters and some bonuses previously unavailable.
  • An expansion of the item system, with certain gear now being modifiable, a la jewelcrafting in WoW or slotted items in TOR. Quest rewards are also expanded.
  • Silver players can now go through the adventure packs.

Did I miss anything else big there? Need to add all it to the OP.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

T4 powers changed, assuming that made it in.

Uh... The prestige system is pretty significant.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

T4 powers changed, assuming that made it in.

Uh... The prestige system is pretty significant.
Ah, yeah, definitely. Can someone give a quick summary of the prestige stuff? Haven't been following the PTR too closely, and there isn't a big convenient article on the front page I can find. :v: There's also the item fusion system too, and... sheesh there's a lot.

Also looks like the 900-day reward is that Bird People costume set they showed off in concept art a few months ago. Looks fairly good, actually; going to need to make a new Air-powerset alt, it seems.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Recognition is just another currency, except it ties into each of the factions (Until recognition for Until missions, Primus for Primus) and is broken up into 4 tiers in line with levels 1-10, 11-20, 21-30, 31-40. It's just another way to gain more costume pieces.

Also Canadian crisis is now lvl 15-16, meaning the only place to low level is the city.

Quite a few bugs on the new patch already. The two biggest are some bosses aren't spawning and some accounts won't let people make new characters.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The OP's been updated, with links to the various front page articles explaining the new subsystems. If I missed anything, lemme know and I'll toss it on.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Just a heads up: Some of the new costume pieces are bugged and unlock on character only.

So if you're buying any, make sure to at least do it on the character you want to use it on right away.

Edit:
Baroque@Zedulon: The absolte *WORST* thing for me, though is that they moved Canada to a higher level.
Baroque@Zedulon: So now I have to fight Hi-Pan in that warehouse and listen to his racist caricatue of a speec
Baroque@Zedulon: Which completely offends me every time I see it. I have been avoiding that mission for over a year

Best patch ever.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 14, 2012

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Ugh, all this new stuff. I'm lost.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
Oh, hey, I guess I should design a bird guy to go yiff with or something, apparently it's the 900 day veteran reward. And the forum does not seem too thrilled with it not being available on the C-Store.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

whatspeakyou posted:

Ugh, all this new stuff. I'm lost.
There's a list and a chart in the OP explaining what's new! :pseudo: But yeah, I don't blame you, it's some massive changes and additions.

Benjamin Black posted:

Oh, hey, I guess I should design a bird guy to go yiff with or something, apparently it's the 900 day veteran reward. And the forum does not seem too thrilled with it not being available on the C-Store.
It's vaguely understandable, when they showed the designs for the set a while back they implied it'd be yet another c-store one like most of the rest. Not that this really matters, but you know, MMO forums.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Oh wow, opening up the adventure pack things to all players is a pretty nice thing to do. I was not expecting that. They should have made a bigger deal about it, since I know there's some people who were wanting to play that content but didn't want to have to drop money on the game to do so. Might be a decent hook to bring some players back.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
They're probably counting on the money from questionite trading and catalyst purchases.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
When I logged off this morning, the exchange was closing in on 50,000 CP for 50 Questionite per CP.

So if you're looking to get some cheap CP, this would be the time. Just need to get some folks together to smash some APs and Alerts (pugging alerts is terrible :negative:)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
With that exchange rate, how can I refuse?

Where and how do these alerts take place? I'm gonna have to crack out my old Grimoire character and just maybe get some motherfucking game onto my account. You're locked out of so much if you don't want to ay for things, it sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Where and how do these alerts take place?
There's big buttons next to the minimap. Click one and queue up! :eng101:

Warning: pubbies are staggeringly incompetent. :pseudo: