Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He looks up to the dragon and lets his mouth fall open when the great beast begins to hover as it continues to stare down on them. "That...is most certainly not right." He looks around once more as the faint voice of a female comes to him. "I heard it as well, another trick by this phantom world no doubt."

Looking down at the cornstalk that Alec throws in front of him, the faun feels a shiver run down the length of his spine. A shiver that he is sure has nothing to do with the cold climate. "This place is an illusion, a creation of some magical being seeking to toy with us." He tries to make his voice calm, but has to stop several times to take a deep breath and repress the panic that was rising in his body. "I would be cautious with your words and actions, for we could very well be dealing with a being of power beyond our understanding. It has been my honor as well, but I have no intention for us to die needlessly in this place."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

Dolan starts at the sound of the shout. Normally this might distract him, might make the runes come with more difficulty, or not form at all. In this case, though, they come with such ease, such effortlessness this time. And what he holds in his hand when he rises... He takes in his surroundings again, and the dragon floating in mid-air, the other apparitions staring at him.

"I believe that this is no ordinarily illusion, faun," Dolan says. "And certainly not something that poses no danger." He drops the Stone, letting it fizzle into nothingness again. This is no dream, he thinks to the Presence. And you did not bring me here this time, did you?

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"Your relatives complimenting you on this is rather like someone getting praise for inheritance. A bit." Sighing, Isit points to the field. "This all could have been avoided you know. Back when I was in the army, I was ten feet from one of the emperors when he was reviewing the men. Could have shot him, let his brother take the throne, and this never would have happened. But, I thought I was doing right at the time, an thought he was the rightful heir. More the fool me....I thought of it for a second at the time too. But I didn't take the shot." Waving a hand, to clear this thought away, she scrutinizes the man closely, to make sure she did not know him. "Glad to have met you at any rate, you're one of the good ones I think. Or at least the most just in my opinion."

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Vuoksi's wingtips droop slightly. "The list of mortals and spirits that could have stopped this is larger than you know, Isit. But- not all that has happened has been bad. I can be much more... effective, for my own part, at abating pain in those dying. Small consolation, but there are a few others who are using their recovered power in the waking world to do good works. And of course... this is the natural state of affairs, not the way it was." Vuoksi's eyes shift to the side. "Admittedly, it's not- going well, at all, and I wasn't one of the ones who tried to bring things back to this state of affairs, but... now that it is done, we have to make the best of it, don't we?"

She sighs. "Doesn't appear I'll be getting much calm tonight, though. Oh dear- your... friends? The ones you were sleeping with? The pack of scavenger spirits found them. Do you know how to reach them?" She unfurls her wings, looking around with a grimace. "Unpleasant."

---

The stillness hangs for a few seconds, as the apparitions eye Dolan- and then Alec, when he shouts his loud challenge and attempts to force his mind to recognize the reality he knows is actually there. The northman can't penetrate the illusion- if it is an illusion- and only gets a mild headache for his efforts. The apparitions circle warily, the chill of the air biting into Lo'el and Alec equally, and for a brief moment it seems as though there'll be a protracted standoff.

That's when it all goes wrong.

The dragon begins... to Dolan's shock, the dragon begins precisely mimicing the spell he'd cast. Stone missiles begin to form between translucent paws, the feeling of power radiating off of it like a campfire. And then the warmth flares around Dolan, and the voice screams, "MOVE!" Acting on raw instinct, Dolan jerks backwards; and through the space where he'd occupied, a ghostly centaur dives with outstretched arms. One flailing, weaponless hand grabs Dolan's shoulder, though. The dwarf can feel a Presence in his head as the apparition does, but only for an instant. A coppery taste floods his brain, and with a sharp popping sound Dolan's shoulder flashes and throws the ghostly centaur to the ground. Just like that, the foreign presence- the one he could actually feel, anyway, unlike Voice when she wasn't doing anything- is gone from his head.

Alec is not so lucky.

There's no scent, no rustle of moving grass to alert his honed senses as there would be in the real world. There's calmness, then a sudden sharp noise over near Dolan, and then something hits his side with a painful impact. The northman goes down hard, with a weight shoving him hard into the ground and wrapping what feel like smooth plastic arms around his shoulders. His face is shoved into something soft and greasy-feeling, blocking his senses and plunging him into darkness; before he can recover from the stun, there's an oily sense of... someone else inside his head, shoving itself into the nooks and crannies of his mind, inspecting his thoughts and scanning his memories.

Submit. A baritone whisper forms all around Alec's head. This need not hurt. As it speaks, the northman can feel... some kind of weakness, a physical exhaustion creep into his mind. We need you. Join us. The feeling insinuates itself into Alec's thoughts- and the northman feels almost... hungry.

Lo'el can see best, with the fewest distractions, as the others engage in their own battles. The world changes, as though a child had grown tired of its drawing and begun smearing wet clay around to change it. The cornfield disappears, replaced in a single dizzying second by a cool mountain valley; mostly rocks with some moss as the ground, with snow collecting in the shadows of larger boulders. It's a pretty scene, with a shallow clear stream nearby... but the largest change is that the scenery now feels real. There's a crisp smell in the air, the sun's bright, objects behave as they should... and though the dragon and centaur are still ghostly creatures, Alec's pinned under the bulk of a large, and very solid looking gray wolf. It's got him shoved into the ground, paws pinning arms to his sides and his head crushed between its chest and the ground- and Alec, though he can see little, feels the greasy feeling smothering him quickly become a warm, cloying blanket of coarse fur around his face and chest.

Alec attempts to disbelieve. Nothing happens.
Specter #1 (Dragon) begins casting Stone Missile.
Specter #2 attacks Dolan. It hits. Then something weird happens.
Specter #3 attacks Alec. It hits, and attempts to grapple, and on an opposed contest of <REDACTED>, well...

[20:53] <Mukaikubo> 2#3d6
[20:53] <Mukbot> Mukaikubo, 2#3d6: 17 [3d6=5,6,6], 4 [3d6=1,1,2]
[20:53] <Mukaikubo> holy shitfire

Alec is grappled by the head and neck. Alec is prone. 1 FP drains from Alec into Specter #3. The scenery shifts and becomes more real-seeming.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Martin de Mignolet

"Ha! Well..." Martin pauses in his response, trying to find a diplomatic way of proceeding. "I said before my family had a landhold south and east of here. A fairly significant one. Towns, castles, and walls. I learned there, as my forebears did, to play the games of politics. Perhaps I learned badly; I instead ended up disguising myself to help the needy of the Barony. With guile and steel, with all I had. It was sure as hell no one else cared for anyone other than themselves."

Eyes downcast - if that was even noticeable in the minimal light - he continued on after a short pause for breath. "Perhaps my merciful nature did not help; I made myself seem non-threatening, but that made it easier for my father's steward to force me out." He shrugs. "I suppose I do not mind. I can be myself now. It rankles though that he of all people should have authority over anyone. Perhaps he knew what I was doing at night - that I knew the secrets of the wicked ones he tried to protect. I don't know for sure. All I know is I could not stay longer."

Finally, he looks up again. "I hope that makes things more plain; I am no scoundrel, but I would rather not speak more of it. You spoke of farms and the wilds: tell me more! I would gladly learn," he said, forcing a bit of good cheer into his words once more.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"I'm so sorry, I must have missed you mentioning it. Southeast...? Near Bainsbridge? Or County Coase? Those are the only two I know. We were only over there for a year. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

"It sounds exciting, though; disguises and charity, I mean." Though the issue begged a good pressing, it was his own wish not to delve further. Lette respected his boundaries, though held hope that perhaps he'd be more willing to elaborate at a later time.

"As I mentioned, my family moved around a lot. Not all landowners need — or want — to employ sharecroppers, so we stayed or went according to demand... or leases. The process often set us back much of what we'd saved in that time, but-..." she trailed off at the second howl.

"Sounds like the same wolf. Poor thing."

But the birds — were they on the road? Had someone dropped bread? "Hold. Listen." Lette closed her eyes, trying to identify bird by song. Feeling suddenly exposed, she reached for her spear and rose to a high crouch, trying to peer over the foliage at the road.

Naturalist 13: can I identify it as actual birdsong and not some fool mimicking them? Perception 13 and Stealth 12, also.

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Apr 14, 2012

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

The faun lets out one terrified gasp after another as the phantoms begin to strike at his companions. He recoils in surprise as the bright spark of light from Dolan throws off his spectral attacker. Was it to do with that pink mist? Any further and momentary thoughts to the hows and whys are lost when he turns to see the northerner pinned to the ground.

"Alec!" His legs move on their own, taking instinctive strides towards the wolf, with no clear thought entering his mind of what he could do to the beast expect that of saving Alec however he could. Then he freezes mid-step as the world shifts around them, the land becoming something far more real and seemingly normal then before. The sheer fact that he was helpless against the mercy of this world and it's phantoms was becoming all too clear as the madness spreads around him. Making a seemingly useless and desperate call of a helpless creature, the faun clasps his hands together and invisions the sight of a bright full moon in his mind. An omen that the herd believed brought great blessings and a sign of the only deity he had ever thought to pray to in desperate times.

"Defending goddess of the blessed moon." Dinym, bless me with a way to shield us from these phantoms. "If my voice and desire can reach you in this place, please protect us!"

Will, 12 - To call for help!

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

The Source, Dolan thinks as he watches the dragon begin to mimic his spell. And these are some sort of vagabonds... He doesn't have time to finish the thought before the warning rings clearly through his head. An instant of visible movement is all he needs, and he steps back. Not enough, as it turns out, as the shape approaching him was a centaur. He manages to spit in the instant between when it contacts his shoulder and when the foreign presence is thrown out of his mind again. "Don't let them touch you!" he yells, only now seeing Alec's predicament.

Can you do that again? he asks the Presence in his mind, as he launches himself towards the wolf pinning Alec to the ground and jams a fist into its ribs.

Karate 14, going for a body shot

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

At last, a suspicion that had been forming in Lette's head crystallized into cold certainty. The birdsong she was hearing was familiar- because it came from a kind of bird that just lived in trees, like ones not too far from her own farm. And they sung to greet the dawn. Here, without a tree for a dozen miles in any direction, in the middle of the night... now that the thing that's alerted her has registered, she can just make out that it's at least a few talented impersonators giving a bird call. They call again, one slightly closer to Lette than the road; it's too dark to make anything out.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit[

"Now that, I definately believe. Most would rather take no chances and hope things turn out well, than risk anything with action. I am glad you know the cost, I suppose you would of all beings." Frowning, she looks to the field once more. " To answer your question, I was here, but in the supply train due to a wound. If I hadn't taken that arrow to the leg....Well, I'd have met you sooner."

Her eyes widen when scavengers are mentioned. The thought of them doing this to others was unbearable. "drat it, can we help? They always have such terrible luck..... I'm unsure how to reach them but I can try thinking of them. This place is like a dream, right, would that work?" Closing her eyes, she holds the faces of her companions in her mind. "Where are you.."

Will 12

NoControl fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 14, 2012

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

Martin reacted quickly as well, shifting to a one-knee-down kneel and placing a hand next to his sword-grip. "...what is it," he demanded quietly, unsure of what the problem might be but certainly concerned enough to take Lette's reaction seriously. There was no sense being less than vigilant here, anyway. With luck it was a false alarm and they could return to just passing the time until the next watch...but something in the back of his mind was just waiting for the next thing to go wrong, and maybe that was approaching rapidly now.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

Lette held back a gasp, they had but scant seconds before the first of them arrived. "Ambush," she whispered sharply at Martin.

The others must be roused. No time for a gentle shaking. There was a rule amongst hunters — so her father had said — that there could be no hard feelings for rude awakenings. In the grand scheme, a bruise on the chest or shoulder is preferable to being gashed up by a bear. Some hunters made this into a sport, itself; going further than was strictly necessary to awaken the other, knowing there could be no reprisal. That wasn't Lette's style, but she drat sure wasn't about to don the kid gloves just here.

Hell, she'd never even owned a pair.

"Up! Up! Someone's coming!" She swatted, thwacked and jabbed with the butt of her spear at the legs and sides of anyone lying asleep. "On your feet!"

Heading back to town with Martin for a rootbeer float Waking every god.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

The Thing had launched at him and hit him, the world had gone black but it was in his head. This Alec had never experienced, to someone who had never tried to hold a secret, who had fought animals and men for all of his life, his mind was the one place that he had never had invaded. The memories he could feel be brought up again and Alec felt something he had only felt a few times in his life: Fear.

He was looking up at his Father now, being told of his new duty. This was his chance this was his test, then he would be a Man. This Great Bear had killed many of his friends and even a Warrior sent after him. Alec had not know fear then, as he walked into the mountainous woods, his bow at his back and his hands on his knife. He had thought of the great things that he would do once he was a Man, he would make a great Hall and even get a wife. Yes, he would be praised and everything would be better, they would even have it by the night. Alec stalked what he thought was the bear all night, forgoing sleep and setting lures for him. The Great Bear was not stupid, and had avoided these easy and hasty attempts. Alec was in the woods for 2 weeks hunting the Great Bear, the bear leaving a trail then disappearing to another part of the wood. The only way he managed to catch up was the winter closing in. The Great Bear had expected Alec to stop as the other hunters had, but Alec did not. When his rations ran out, he hunted. When his clothing was too thin for the snow, he used hastily sewn fur from his kills. Alec would not, and refused to go home without it, he slept in shifts, followed the herds and slowly and systematically ran them off, until only one was left. The arrow had pierced the Hrainaz's heart and it lay dead on the snow, it's red blood like a fire in a fog. The Great Bear had come upon him while cleaning it, Alec's quick thinking and sacrifice of his bow had saved his head from being torn off from the massive claw. His main weapon broken Alec backed up against cliffside, his feet deep in the snow, The Bear charged him. Alec had known such fear then, but as he had been taught, he turned it against the bear, he ran toward the nearest tree and climbed it, Fear and something else spurring him on. The Great Bear started climbing as well, his great scared face and claws only a bit slower than Alec. Alec looked down at the bear and became truely angry at it. This Bear had killed Jakoc, Ursal, and Feyra, this beast has evaded him, and his folk for years. This was the monster who had done nothing but taunt them and hurt everyone. Alec did something that he never would have done otherwise, and jumped off the tree and on to the bear, his knife out. His weight landed full on the Great Bear's head, surprising it, and tearing it off the tree. Alec rode the bear to the ground. His knife embedded in an eye, the Bear stirred again, until Alec kicked the knife over and over into the Great Bear's Brain, the gore and blood flowing around him. The Great Bear was not mourn and was forgotten, but Alec was not. Alec held the only memory of the Great Bear now, and always wood. This spirit was no bear, it was not even a wolf. IT was not clever, it was not a challenge, it was just a coward. There were not songs that would be sung of it, and Alec Knew that he would fight, just as he had against the bear, without mercy, but unlike the Bear, he would hold no memory of this coward.

With great effort and focus Alec focused on the one thing he said everyday, at sunrise, since he was thirteen summers old. "Wess's courage can defeat any spirit, and you are his kin." Alec began to chant in his head, and turned his Fear into the Fire of Courage. He was truly angry, not what the tree folk had described, not a brief spurt of rage, but a slow burning anger that does not end. "Spirit, you are nothing, not even worth notice, you will not be remembered, nor will any sagas be sung of you, you have no meaning or purpose. Fade away." Alec thought fearsomely, and tried to grab at it, and tear it off with all his might.

Alec fights back both in his mind and with his hands, Will 10, Brawling 14 Combat Reflexs to negate bonuses. Alec will use any FP he can at the moment to help but will not go more than 5 fp

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"It's risky!" Vuoksi tries to warn as Isit forges ahead. "Between dreams are places you don't want to go, places where I can't! Focus on where you're going and you've got a sho-"

Isit's concentration shuts out the dream as it starts to dissolve around her; she can see Vuoksi take flight hastily, disappearing into thin air, and leaps in a direction that feels like sideways to every single direction she previously knew of. There's a feeling of falling, then of intense speed through clinging shadows on all sides- it lasts an eternity and maybe a few seconds at the same time. When the elf opens her eyes again, she's on a pleasant, pretty little gravel path somewhere up in the mountains, and she has indeed found her allies. And others...

Lette springs into action, calling out a warning and moving to rouse the others to face an imminent ambush. By quirk of fate, Isit is nearest the young woman, and a spear butt jabs into the experienced elf's ribs.

Isit can see... a dragon, a centaur on its side, and Alec pinned underneath a giant wolf. Lo'el is... praying? In the middle of the road, and Dolan is apparently covered in pink fog. Before Isit can do more than open her mouth to question the baffling scene, she feels a sharp pain in her side and with an almost audible disorientation her eyes slam open to see the brilliant night sky back in the waking world.

Dolan, having missed Isit's brief entry into their shared dream, charges at the wolf holding his companion down. A quick punch to where the ribs should be on a wolf feels bone, and the dwarf knows he's connected with a solid hit- and an instant after connecting, a jolt of energy half-numbs his arm for a moment, as with another pop the wolf seems to spark with pink energy... but it stays atop Alec, not yet daunted enough to give up its prey. Seeing this- seeing Isit appear, and leave just as quickly- the faun realizes how dire their situation is. That they are in trouble- that they need protection. There were many stories of Dinym's kindness to those in need of aid, of shelter from the hostility of others. There were stories about how to call on her, there were stories about when, and they said the full moon was best. There were no stories of illusory dragons trying to throw rocks at you in dreams- well, not until Lo'el returned- but calling for help, a faun could do. He finishes his quick supplication, and opens his eyes to see the carnage.

A warm, motherly voice echoes inside his skull. Granted.

The hairs on the back of Lo'el's neck prick up, as a gust of warm breath washes around his head. A loud, basso rumbling growl rolls over the entire dream battlefield- and behind Lo'el stands a mature black bear. It paws at the ground, sniffing the air and snorting angrily- before its gaze finds the centaur. And then the bear roars right by Lo'els head.

The dwarf was next in line. Moving swiftly, Lette lightly whacked the man across the face and moved on. They may only have seconds.

As Dolan draws his arm back for another blow, the slap staggers Dolan, more from surprise than from pain. No- NO! His resident voice howls in despair, and the dwarf can feel it try to HOLD him in the dream- but it is too weak, and the dwarf's mind falls back into the waking world with a light red welt on his forehead, mild panic in the camp building as Lette works.

The oily, insidious presence continues to permeate Alec's mind, violating his thoughts and stealing his memories to look through itself. The northman can feel it; wherever it goes, it drains some of the energy, some of the will to fight from him drained into it. With every passing instant, the wolf on top of him grows heavier, warmer, its smell more foul- at the same time, he can start to feel himself starting to get... less real, in an impossible to define but definite way. The stones under his back- hadn't they been smooth fake dirt a breath ago? They feel softer now, as though he's starting to sink into them...

There's still a core of hate down there, though. The northman isn't done yet. Gathering his strength, he grabs the growling wolf by the sides, and heaves; despite feeling a worrying weakness in his limbs, despite the growing temptation to just give in, he's got enough strength left to shove the wolf most of the way off of him. The beast twists to one side, revealing a bright, inordinately cheery blue sky for just an instant. Then it shuffles back sideways, sprawling out and trapping the 'barbarian's' head underneath him once more. NO! No escape- just give in! You're mine! I CAUGHT you! It snarls, and... the voice is beginning to sound almost like a feral version of Alec's own voice.

Alec, at least, has stopped shivering. Must have found something to keep him warm. Still, they'd need his strength sooner rather than later. The speartip lashes out, thudding into his shoulder in a rough prod.

The dragon, still hovering overhead, turns its blank-eyed gaze to the new ursine arrival. The stones in its hands fly out, slamming into the new protector-goddess's avatar with loud, wet thuds. At the same time, the ghostly centaur gets up, also refocused on the bear- for its own part the bear quickly circles around, placing itself between Lo'el and the two spirits, and roars another defiant challenge at them.

The sound of the roar's enough to penetrate through even the layers of hide and flesh covering Alec's ears. That meddling bitch! the wolf snarls in his head. I'll have to drag you somewhere safer- no, can't- well- I could- drat! A little extra weight pushes down on the northman's nose, cutting off the flow of fresh air into his lungs again. Just have to finish this quicker- With that, the presence speeds up, throwing itself deeper into Alec's mind. It feels as though there's a suction on his mind, pulling into the nightmare pinning his head to the ground... but something grows different. He can... smell.. and see... but not with his own eyes. He's slowly becoming more aware of the mind attacking him, and the words he spat into its hide were completely true.

It had been nothing. It was nothing. Its first chance to be something was squirming under it, and it so desperately wanted to have some kind of existence, it was willing to destroy another- Alec's- to get it. The longing, panicked neediness suffusing his enemy's mind gives Alec pause for just an instant at how strong the desire is for Alec to give it what it needs... but it's not enough to persuade the northman to lower his mental defenses. He holds onto his own mind against the frantic onslaught- some pieces of energy leaching away, strengthening the wolf, but the core still holding strong.

Finally, Lo'el. Another jab into the faun's hip to wake him- Alec was being slow at rising. Couldn't afford that. Might need to try again- if whoever these fake birds were meant ill, they might not have a minute to let him wake up gracefully. But... the faun was staying stubbornly asleep too...

Lo'el feels something invisible jab his hip, hard. His mind tries to recoil backwards, tunnel its way back up to consciousness. Isit had appeared, and left. Dolan had vanished, suddenly. But Alec was still there, still struggling for his life, and the bear was here and protecting him. If Lo'el left, would the bear follow who had summoned it, and abandon Alec to the tender mercies of whatever these demons were? It couldn't be risked- Lo'el fought off the urge to wake. He was needed where he was.

Isit arrives... and promptly awakens.
Dolan connects, and deals 3 damage to the wolf. The wolf passes stun.
Lo'el has played Earthbound, and Prays.
A dire bear appears.
Dolan awakens.
Alec fails his skill roll to pull his mind out of the spirit's grip; his shoving's a bit more successful, and he manages to free everything but his head by shoving the wolf to one side; it's still laying on his face, though. 1 FP burnt to increase strength for the grapple roll.
Alec does not wake up.
Specter #1 (Dragon) casts Stone Missile at the bear. It hits, and the dodge fails. Bear gets wounded.
Specter #2 (Centaur) gets up.
Specter #3 (Wolf) fails the quick contest of wills, cutting its damage from the ongoing drain in half. Alec loses 3 FP.
Lo'el does not wake up.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

Martin, in his half-kneel, waited behind whatever foliage there was, slowly and quietly drawing his family's blade as he tried to assess the situation. There's no way of knowing exactly what is happening here; the light and the positioning makes it almost impossible for him to see who or what might be about to come upon them. Sword drawn, he begins to ready his cloak as well, preparing himself physically and mentally.

"Hurry, m'lady. If they strike I probably cannot hold them off alone forever," he whispered hoarsely, his words allowing for the possibility that he actually could do just that for long enough if it came down to it.

Ready jian, then cloak. If I still have time after that, then I'll have Martin take a wait action to stand and step back as soon as someone who isn't part of the group comes into view.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

Dolan is on his feet in an instant, looking to see what had woken him. He sees Lette, moving from body to body, thumping them awake, but Alec and Lo'el stay unconscious. Whether that meant that Lo'el had been taken too or that he was simply not hit hard enough, he does not know. Alec, however, may not last much longer. "We were attacked in our dream by spirits," Dolan says suddenly. "The northman, the faun, and I. No time to explain, we have to wake them." He grabs his staff in one hand and his waterskin in the other. Opening it, he hoped dumping its contents onto Alec's face would be enough.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Yes, do that; someone's coming!" Lette hisses at Dolan and the still-rising Isit, then takes up a position near Martin, spear readied.

Wait action, preparing to respond to whatever comes bargin' on in.

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 15, 2012

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

The Emptiness fought with him, Alec had seen the truth in the Spirit, and thought harshly to it as he fought harder with it. "You are emptiness, even if I gave in, you would still be nothing. Things are made with work and hardship, not stolen lustfully." Alec pushed his mind and body further his resolve against the lustful desire of the Emptiness. Alec tries to push with all his might and all his will against the Nothing, trying to force it off of him. The world around him slowly tunneling to this one and very important task. This was no great fight as with the Bear, this was desperation of a thief. Alec chanted in his head to Weß, for strength, only in this moment did Alec understand how one could fall to the spirits and be lost.

Going to try Will 10 again, and Brawling 14 to get the Nothing off my head.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Isit is disoriented for a brief moment, but rises groggily, and grabs her bow. Whispering to Lette, she nudges Alec and Lo'el with her foot, and none to gently. "What's the situation." Drawing an arrow, she glares at the cornfield and waits, wondering if it was her time to meet the crow goddess, or if this was a dream too.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Fake birdcalls, coming this way." As much as she was not eager to turn this into a battle, there was still a chance they could turn the tables on whomever was trying to surprise them, and demand some answers. If not, their stalkers might have the chance to fall back and try again.

This could become a very long night.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

There were indeed stories of Dinym, as there were stories of all the gods, amongst the herd. Of all the gods though, Dinym was the most worshiped. The blessing of the full moon, songs and storytellings of her kindness and whispered prayers to the goddess for new faunlings were almost a daily occurrence with his people. The beginnings of such traditions were even said to have come from the ages of old, when a vision of the Moon Goddess herself had guided the few remaining fauns to the protection of the eastern forests.
Lo'el had never been sure what to make of such a tale, but the one detail that had always stuck with him was the telling of the goddess protecting his people through the appearance of a large, black bear. A large, black bear that was now standing right next to him.

His mouth opens, but words fail to come as he gives the roaring bear a look of fear and surprise. "Goddess-" he finally manages, but is cut short when a sharp pain in his hip causes him to step sideways and cast a worried glance to his side. He had been blessed enough to have his prayers answered, but trouble still surrounded them. All the more so, now that Dolan and Isit had vanished as quickly as the elf had appeared. Had they managed to escape, or worse; had they been dragged off to another area of this cursed nightmare?

'The goddess is here with us. There is nothing to fear.' he thinks to himself, but it was still not enough to stop his hands from shaking.

"Alec, we must save him!" He gestures towards the wolf that still kept the northerner pinned to the ground, hoping the goddess in front of him would abandon the other phantoms for now and comply.

Following the bear and A.O.D (Dodge) if something should come my way.

Lo'el
ST-11, DX-12, IQ-12, HT-13
HP 12/12, FP 14/14, Will-12, Per-13, BS-6.5, BM-6
Acute Hearing (2)
Weapons: None
Armor: 1DR Feet (Hooves), 0 everywhere else.
Active Defences: Dodge-11 (preferred)

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Alec's defiance forms an inner, hot core of rage- castle walls to keep out the monster trying to steal everything that he was to make it its own. Muscles scream in fatigue, begging the northman to just let them rest for a while, but that's the one thing Alec can't let them do. Instead, shoving his hands under the wolf's throat, he heaves one more time... and the wolf can't stay on, rolling off to one side. Alec's body aches with the effort, barely having enough strength to instinctively get up to his knees so he can't just be pounced on again; the wolf's already on all fours staring at Alec with an open fanged mouth, and disturbingly familiar eyes as it growls. I can feel you weakening. You won't be able to push me off again-

At that precise moment, a large black bear lopes up behind the wolf, dwarfing even the unnaturally large monster's size. It rears back, and contemptuously backhands the wolf in the side of the head with one massive paw. The wolf goes flying several yards, rolling in a rough tumble and yelping in surprise. Without a dream-illusion's bulk obscuring and draining his senses, now Alec can see that their surroundings have changed; it's a mountain pass he's used a dozen times to pass between towns, a pleasant, secluded stone path with a lovely little clear creek for water and rarely any disturbances. It's exactly as he remembered it, and Alec can remember the wolf rooting around in those memories early...

The wolf snarls again, rising to all fours with a slight limp- seeing the tide of battle, it turns and hobbles off in the direction of Cherusciten. The great black bear, meanwhile, sniffs at Alec with a skeptical light in its beady black eyes; then, snorting, it rounds over, ignoring him now that his threat is gone. Lo'el, skipping along behind the goddess's gift, easily avoids another clumsy dive from the centaur spirit, which the bear rewards with a roar of anger that the little monsters aren't so quick to flee as one that had already gotten a portion of what it wanted; in midair, the dragon-spirit begins casting another spell, stones forming between its talons. At that instant, Alec feels a sudden rush of panic as his body tries to tell him he's drowning, and his mind pulls itself from the dream with this fresh encouragement to see the stars once more.

Dolan's outburst split the night air like a cannonshot. All goes silent, except for a single lone fake birdcall from near the trail end. The scene is ominously still; no enemies present themselves for the waiting heroes to attack.

Alec succeeds in pushing the wolf off of him entirely.
Lo'el all out dodges.
Bear backhands the Wolf for major damage. Wolf does not pass out.
Specter #1 (Dragon) begins casting Stone Missile again.
Specter #2 (Centaur) all out attacks Lo'el, who dodges.
Specter #3 (Wolf) flees.
Alec wakes up.

Alec is down 5 FP. Only 1 of them will recover naturally, for now.

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 15, 2012

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

The faun nimbly dodges the phantom centaur's frantic attack as he quickly moves over to join the bear goddess, granting himself a small smile of triumph as the wolf disappears into the wilderness.
"Thank the goddess." he says, quite appropriately, as he comes to join Alec. "Are you alright? I hate to think of what might have happened if-" He finds his words cut short once again as the northerner vanishes from his sight just as quickly as Isit and Dolan had before. What is happening? Have they safely found their way back?
Quickly turning on his hooves, he catches sight of the dragon imitating Dolan's spell once again and cautiously backs away. "You have my eternal thanks Moon Goddess, but we should flee now that the others are away. I can only hope that they have managed to escape this place somehow." He gives a frantically worried look to the large bear as he takes another step back, ready to run for what little good it may do them. "I would rather flee now then risk further damage to yourself from these beasts."

Continuing to follow the bear.

Lo'el
ST-11, DX-12, IQ-12, HT-13
HP 12/12, FP 14/14, Will-12, Per-13, BS-6.5, BM-6
Acute Hearing (2)
Weapons: None
Armor: 1DR Feet (Hooves), 0 everywhere else.
Active Defences: Dodge-11 (preferred)

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

When the birdcalls ceased, Lette wasted no time. They'd probably retreat; best make your point while they're still as close as they're liable to be. "What do you want?" she calls across the corn. "I know you're right there, and I know you're not birds! If you come in peace, you have nothing to fear from us."

She once more peeks over the stalks, hoping for a better glimpse of their visitors.

Per 13 agin.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

Alerc wake with a sputter, and Dolan doesn't wait to see if the man is okay. Lo'el is still unconscious, and now he would be alone against the other spirits. With no water remaining, he resorts to the only option he has left. He straddles the faun, and cocks his arm back. "Sorry lad," he whispers, before bringing his hand down, hard.

AoA Mighty, backhanding Lo'el in the face

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

The bear snorts again, turning to glare at the other two specters that still beset the last remaining mortal trespasser. More rocks crash into its back, splintering and spraying shrapnel but not slowing the creature down. It charges for the centaur, and it doesn't slow down, doesn't stop, doesn't raise an arm. It just plows into the spirit like a boulder, slamming it into a real boulder by the side of the road with a ground-shaking crash. The centaur falls, and doesn't get up- but as the bear turns to the last of the spirits, Lo'el feels himself be hit viciously hard and instantly wakes back up with the entire side of his face burning in pain.

Lo'el takes 4 HP damage. Ouch.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

Dolan doesn't wait for Lo'el's admonition; they could deal with that later. Alec had been in contact with that spirit for some time, and even the brief contact Dolan had felt with the centaur had come with a palpable intrusion. Alec could very well have a foreign presence in him. And as if that weren't enough, Lette seemed convinced that there were enemies here in the waking world to contend with.

One thing at a time.

Fetching his staff, Dolan leans down next to Alec, just now fully recovering and coming awake. He looks the northman in the eyes, or at least he thinks he does in the dark. "Are you you?" he asks.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

With a sudden shock of being woken Alec grabs for his sword and shield and find them. He was back, but not all there. Such thievery and cowardice enraged the large
Wessenstedt Warrior, Alec was mad and was now honor bound to find the spirit and destroy him. More than that, Alec was angry in general, he hears a loud smack of Dolan's hand against Lor'El's cheek. He was unconcerned, instead he knelt and taking his spear and slinging it across his back. His sword and shield in hand he crouched down and walked over to the others, just nodding at them. They were looking very worried and excited. This must mean that something has happened. Right now, however, it was a battle of his temper versus proper conduct, and the anger was slowly winning. Alec prayed that would get to fight tonight, he did not feel refreshed nor encouraged from his sleep and it is quite obvious he was very very angry.

Alec is going to move slowly and carefully over to the rest of them, right now he is okay in controlling his anger with Will 10 roll = 7 this should last him unless something makes him more mad. He is listening and watching for anything that could be happening right now. Per 10

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

The stories rarely spoke of the gods fleeing from even the seemingly undefeatable foes, so the fact that the bear ignores his suggestion and charges straight for the phantom is not all too surprising. The sight and sound of the impact the bear has on the phantom is enough to make him wince, but not as much as what he himself feels next.
The sheer force of the blow sends him off his hooves, and for a moment he feels as if his spirit exists in a limbo between the waking world and illusion he had found himself in before he blinks and sits bolt upright to see Dolan sitting on top of him. The familiar feeling and sounds of the camp and surrounding cornfield all come flooding back in an instant, coupled with the most unfamiliar and unbearable pain across his own cheek.

If he knew a suitable swear word, now would be the time to use it. But instead he resorts to an inaudible hiss of pain as he quickly brings his hand to his burning cheek.
"Good gods! D-did you hit me!?" He says, staring wide-eyed at the dwarf before he quickly composes himself. "S-sorry, thank you. I suppose it is not easy to break free from such a place." He darts his eyes around the camp, trying to make out the faces of everyone in the dark, needing to know they were safe. "Is everyone alright? I had never imagined the goddess to answer such a call. It is.." His voice trails off as he stares out into the dark, trying to take his mind off the burning pain as the chaos of what had just happened replays through his mind. It is beyond words.

A Velociraptor! fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 15, 2012

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

Balancing being exasperated with everyone's loudness and amused by the whole situation, he shakes his head vigorously in the darkness. "Oh my...well they certainly know how many of us there are now!" His whisper still manages to come out clearly thanks to his almost unnatural voice. He creeps a bit towards the foliage, trying to get a look through while still concealing himself, still listening to the others as they wake. Whatever it is they were awoken from wasn't good, it seems, but there's no time to ask more. He pushes it out of his mind and tries desperately to figure out the other apparent imminent danger.

PER 11, Stealth 14, as necessary.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

There's a silence from across the way, before a lone rough female voice calls out, "Don't think so, lass! Neither of us'll be entirely happy meeting in the dark without seeing each other, so I reckon we'd better be waiting till sunrise so we can see each other better!"

"...did one of you just say 'goddess'?" she says, after a slight pause and pronouncing the last word as if it were an obscenity. "Never mind. Morning. Don't try to find us. You won't." The voice seems to be coming from different places near the road with each sentence.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

His ears perk up sharply and suddenly as he makes out the female voice and he shortly abandons holding his cheek to grab the quarterstaff lying next to him. A confused look is given to those around him as he rises from his make-shift bed. He tightens his hands around the staff, trying to replace the sharp pain from his face with the dull pain from his tight grip.
"Does it ever end?" he whispers warily, adopting a crouch and moving a step closer to the mystery voice. I do not need my eyes to find you. "If you are bandits then I suggest you turn around now and save yourselves the trouble of trying to rob us. If you mean no harm, then neither do we. What is it that you want?" He raises his voice as he speaks into the cornfield and lowers his breathing as he finishes, keeping his ears open and ready to follow the woman's voice and the sounds she would hopefully leave as she continued to dart around the field.

Per - 13
Acute Hearing 2
Diplomacy - 14. I suppose my stigma doesn't count cause they can't see me?

A Velociraptor! fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 15, 2012

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Isit glares, the effect somewhat lessened by it being pitch dark. Whispering, she prods Lette and Lo'el in turn. "Dont you move Lo'el, stick with the loving group. That goes for all of you. They talk funny, not like most bandits I've met. We can double the watches, half sleep half rest and talk to them in the morning. And we can talk about how the gently caress you boy manage to get attacked in your sleep by a loving dragon as well. Now tell them you agree to morning and no one else call out to them. Let's not give away our numbers by shouting."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

Alec starts grinding his teeth loud enough to be heard, so loud that he doesn't even hear Isit. His sword still out and ready. They had tried to barter with the enemy, Alec waited for the response. This crazy helvíti upp skíta borða place had been nothing but hostile toward him and he was ríða tired of it. Just attack already, instead of all the lies and falsehoods so he could get out of here and go to someplace sane again.

Alec isn't preceptive enough at this point to register much at this level of anger: roll

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 16, 2012

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Silence greets the faun's question, and further entreaties.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

Lette nodded. Isit was always thinking about these things from a good angle. "Morning, then!" She replies across the corn, without any clue as to whether they were even still within earshot.

Returning to the others, Lette lowered her voice again. "Sorry. I had no idea who that was. Still don't, but I guess they're not a threat after all. Are you all okay?" She regards the still-silent Alec, trying to see his face in the darkness. "You were really shivering. Are you feeling alright?"

Out of the corner of her eye, she had seen Dolan's successful awakening of Lo'el. Clearly, they both knew the hunter's rule. "Lo'el, do you need a compress?"

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 16, 2012

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Whispering urgently, Isit waves Lette away from Alec. "Careful Lette, he might be possessed by the thing he was fighting. Can't talk at all, may not be him. Dolan, can you tell?"

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"What? How-... what?" It was clear that she was missing some important pieces of this story.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"While you're all awake, if you don't mind telling what exactly you are blathering about, we might be all the better for it." There was no humor or friendliness in his tone now. Enough strangeness had happened in the last few days; if there was more, he would know of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

The elf nods, and keeps her voice low, all the while keeping her eyes on the northman, in case he shows signs of something unnatural. "Tell, yes, but keep it as quiet as possible. Ears all around. I was only there for the tail end I think, Lo'el probably can tell it best." Dropping her voice to barely audible levels, she continues. "Best I can tell, they were having a dream, and attracted some scavenger spirits that wanted to suck the life out of them. Sounds stupid as hell, but I'm willing to bet that what they saw attacking them was the dragon from today, and a few friends, right? Apparently it isn't just the loving gods that are back to this world, but other things as well. Small, nasty hungry things."

• Locked thread