Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Danny Bro Pty Ltd posted:

Quick question. I've been using internet explorer, and it's been bloody slow. Websites don't load quick at all, and youtube takes so drat long to load it ain't funny.

However, when I use google chrome there is no problem. Why is this?

As that bizarre browser-child program depicted, different browsers have different capabilities. IE is kinda crap, but for a long time it was the only game in town. Then firefox came along, and got big and popular and good - it handled Javascript faster, and rendered CSS faster AND according to published standards. (IE, for a long time, did whatever it drat well wanted, and everyone else had to write code to run in IE.) Firefox was all done open-source, which meant it was free, didn't have much money coming its way (whatever donations it could scrounge up), and had a few thousand people contributing to the codebase.

Then Google came along and decided to dump a few million dollars in Chrome. It drastically changed some standard practices, with regards to security (for the better), and has been in a pissing match with Firefox over who was going to end up with the faster Javascript engine, and who was going to render more towards the letter of the law, and who was going to have the more intuitive minimalist interface.

IE has kind of been derping along in the background, trying to catch up. It does have Microsoft backing it up, but there's also a lot of legacy crap that they have to figure out how to deal with, and they corporate climate is less conductive towards innovation than any of the other browsers.

TL;DR: Chrome is more efficient. Chrome is owned by Google, who owns Youtube, so there's probably some manual tweaks in the code to really speed things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Farecoal posted:

Why was there a big backlash against Disco in the early 1980s?

Homophobia, racism, exaggerated masculinity: disco was markedly gay and feminine, and with black roots; and when it exploded in popularity, the reaction of white America was entirely predictable. The argument that it was somehow similarly motivated to the anti hair-metal backlash has a bit of truth to it, since hair metal was supposedly killed by, like, Nirvana? Maybe Metallica? In any case, bands that resembled the popular hair metal bands musically a lot, but projected a more traditionally masculine and acceptable public image.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

UncleRadnor posted:

gently caress, so that's what those dew spraying things are. I thought they were mini air con units. Thanks for the solution (although I'm hoping there are other solutions without me having to fork out dough)
The poor man's solution is to open a window.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The poor man's solution is to open a window.
... if it's more humid outside.

You can get a cheap humidifier for $10-20 that will handle a medium sized room.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

UncleRadnor posted:

gently caress, so that's what those dew spraying things are. I thought they were mini air con units. Thanks for the solution (although I'm hoping there are other solutions without me having to fork out dough)

Fill bowls with warm water, put them on top of your radiators.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

marshmallard posted:

Fill bowls with warm water, put them on top of your radiators.

Most people don't have radiators for heat nowadays. Plus it's spring so he wouldn't be running the heat much anyway.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ras Het posted:

Homophobia, racism, exaggerated masculinity: disco was markedly gay and feminine, and with black roots; and when it exploded in popularity, the reaction of white America was entirely predictable. The argument that it was somehow similarly motivated to the anti hair-metal backlash has a bit of truth to it, since hair metal was supposedly killed by, like, Nirvana? Maybe Metallica? In any case, bands that resembled the popular hair metal bands musically a lot, but projected a more traditionally masculine and acceptable public image.
I hadn't considered it from a feminist/queer theory perspective. Didn't disco enjoy a lot of success among mainstream white America?

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat

FactsAreUseless posted:

I hadn't considered it from a feminist/queer theory perspective. Didn't disco enjoy a lot of success among mainstream white America?

Yes, and on both sides of the Atlantic. Excessively so and ultimately it became wholesome. Kitsch in other words.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

FactsAreUseless posted:

This should answer that question:

The disco being played in gay nightclubs was not like the disco being played on US radio stations from what I've read.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
In the past few days I've been receiving 10-20 junk emails a day. I used to get maybe one. What could have changed? Did I put my email address somewhere I shouldn't have?

UncleRadnor
Jul 3, 2010

randyest posted:

... if it's more humid outside.

You can get a cheap humidifier for $10-20 that will handle a medium sized room.

It's pretty cold and dry outside.
And since I don't have a radiator in my room either, I think I'll have to bite the bullet and fork out the dough.

Thanks for the answers though guys :) I appreciate it

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

I'm trying to find a specific style of text converter, and I don't know what the effect would be called.

You gave it plain text and it would output garbled text that had vertical columns of pixelated mess on top of the letters. It had the effect of a broken transmission, and I remember it being used in ARGs and such.

I want to say it was some kind of intentionally wrongly encoded Unicode trick, but searching hacked/garbled text converter just gives me a bunch of leet speak converters.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

edit: Thanks Stubblyhead, that was it.

Daedalus1134 fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 15, 2012

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Daedalus1134 posted:

I'm trying to find a specific style of text converter, and I don't know what the effect would be called.

You gave it plain text and it would output garbled text that had vertical columns of pixelated mess on top of the letters. It had the effect of a broken transmission, and I remember it being used in ARGs and such.

I want to say it was some kind of intentionally wrongly encoded Unicode trick, but searching hacked/garbled text converter just gives me a bunch of leet speak converters.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Zalgo, the eve of his arrival is upon us! The streets will flow red with the blood of his eager sacrifants!

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
So I have this pipe in my basement, and for the life of me, I can't figure out what it's for. Right now it's just getting in the way, and I'd like to remove it if it's not serving a purpose at the moment.

As you can see, there's a larger capped pipe behind it that I'm assuming would be for a toilet, if one ever gets installed, but it's the smaller pipe in the foreground that I'm talking about :

I've turned on every single water source in the house, and none of them go through this pipe. It's bone dry on the inside. No odors coming from it. All that I found on the inside of it were a few dead gnats.

It travels up to the ceiling and then makes it way up into the floor above. The wall pictured is the end of the house:

The pipe on the left is the mystery one. The pipe on the right is the drain for the kitchen sink. No other water supply exists on that side of the house.

So, what is it? My father thought it might be a vent line for something, but like I mentioned, there are zero odors. Perhaps it would be an eventual vent line for the toilet? If the pipe isn't actually doing anything, I would love to cap it up higher to get it out of the way, but I'm not doing anything until I know what it's there for.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
it could be natural gas. there's usually a small pipe off the main one designed to catch dust and such, but i'm not a plumber so take that for what you will. just a guess.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

My laptop throttles performance whenever I plug a lower-wattage charger into it. Is there any way to override and force it to run all the way up?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
What's the best way to cool my bedroom without window units/vents? I have central air but it SUCKS and my apartment complex does not allow window units, and it's going to be a very hot summer.

There are a lot of fans that cool by loading them up with water and turning them on but I'm wondering if anyone here has a recommendation.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Huntersoninski posted:

There are a lot of fans that cool by loading them up with water and turning them on but I'm wondering if anyone here has a recommendation.

Aren't those ones not air conditioners as much as swamp coolers?

I've read that they have a musty smell, but you can put an air freshener or something by them and it kills the smell somewhat.

Other than that, you could get a portable a/c unit, and read some reviews, there's lots of them out there. I remember they'd sell out within a day at Costco every time we got a shipment.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Huntersoninski posted:

What's the best way to cool my bedroom without window units/vents? I have central air but it SUCKS and my apartment complex does not allow window units, and it's going to be a very hot summer.

If you're willing to do this every day, or just when it's really hot out, you could put a large pan filled with ice water in front of a fan and run the fan blowing into your room. That would pretty effectively cool it, but you'd have to replace the water all the goddamned time.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Huntersoninski posted:

If you don't mind living in a world of darkness, then cover the outside of your windows with something fancy to block the light. You can buy exterior summer blinds that don't look too lovely and are meant for exactly this purpose. Or, if you are cheap and live in a complex with thieving crackheads, cover the insides of your windows with something horribly ugly and reflective. Not only will that serve to reflect the light, but it'll also advertise that you probably don't own anything worth stealing.

If that's not enough, I found a way to be a total loving bastard in a place that has insufficient central cooling: Fashion a powerful fan over your vent such that it "assists" more airflow to your room. In the zero-sum game of AC wars, you're screwing someone else out of cooling power, so check yourself before you wreck yourself (morally). If you want to be all proper, you can buy fans for dryer vents and the like, and you might even be able to find a vent attachment that won't involve duct tape.

But if you just don't give a poo poo about anything aside from being able to survive the summer without daily heatstroke, get yourself a powerful box fan, some cardboard, and some duct tape. Here's an image of a setup that doesn't look entirely terrible:

Furthermore, if you can undo the grates, you might fashion a vent blocker out of aluminum (like a turkey pan or something) and seal it inside while cackling greedily, satisfied in the guarantee that your vent will now get all the air possible. This is the second step in being a total loving AC bastard. If you don't want to be this level of a dick, then make sure that whoever is down the vent line from you doesn't mind, won't notice, or is a sufficiently higher level of jerk such that you can morally excuse yourself. In my case, I had an office with windows that opened an entire inch. The guy down-duct from me had a corner with lots of open air.

Make sure you disguise your work. When people visit and ask how come your office is always so nicely cool, lie to them. Even if you trust them, you don't want others doing this, as air cooling is a zero-sum game.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Hazed_blue posted:

Random pipe.

I have no idea, but the guys over at DIY & Hobbies can probably help you out.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

What's the best way to transfer money internationally these days? Specifically AUD$700 from Australia to Nepal? Do banks charge more than western union?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Noni posted:

air cooling is a zero-sum game.

haha, wow! Thanks for all the good information!

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Mister Kingdom posted:

This should answer that question:

The disco being played in gay nightclubs was not like the disco being played on US radio stations from what I've read.

Ethel Merman had tiny little Tyrannosaurus arms. Who knew?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Hobo Erotica posted:

What's the best way to transfer money internationally these days? Specifically AUD$700 from Australia to Nepal? Do banks charge more than western union?

Western Union is probably easier, and is often cheaper/faster than bank transfers.

Low Carb Bread
Sep 6, 2007

Kind of random but does anyone know how or why customer service surveys started? It seems in the last few years, almost any time you call the cable company, bank, cell phone company etc. they want you to do a survey at the end of the call. Same for many websites. Whose idea was this? Why did they come up with it? Has it been effective? It seems like it might have been a good idea at first, but now that we're all being bombarded with surveys, no one wants to fill them out (or if they are required, people just fill in whatever). It doesn't seem to accomplish the original goal of getting accurate information from a broad sample of people.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
I think you answered it; they just want information from a broad sample of people at as little cost as possible. True customer service is expensive and focused. I think if the numbers suit them as well, a company will use them to their advantage.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Around 1994-5 I worked in a call center that had a contract with Sears Auto Center to do follow-up customer surveys. It was part of a settlement after they had been found guilty of predatory practices at a number of shops (charging for repairs that weren't necessary and never done, etc.).

It was a pretty token gesture, there were only 5 questions to answer but it technically meant that we were calling all of their customers to make sure they hadn't been screwed edit: weren't aware of having been screwed.

greazeball fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 16, 2012

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
A couple pages back, and it's been answered, but here's my take on it:

Farecoal posted:

Why was there a big backlash against Disco in the early 1980s?

Because it was loving crap, but everyone was really high all through the 70s and didn't notice how much goat penis it sucked until then.

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
Does anyone know of a website where I can view a real-time artistic rendering of the orbits of our solar system's planets around the sun?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

dee eight posted:

A couple pages back, and it's been answered, but here's my take on it:

Because it was loving crap, but everyone was really high all through the 70s and didn't notice how much goat penis it sucked until then.

Actually, disco is objectively the best music.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Tostito posted:

Does anyone know of a website where I can view a real-time artistic rendering of the orbits of our solar system's planets around the sun?

You mean like this?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Ras Het posted:

Actually, disco is objectively the best music.

No. You are quite wrong.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tostito posted:

If "artistic" is the main criterion here, this one is just beautiful.

http://dd.dynamicdiagrams.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/orrery_2006.swf

(Note: not to scale, and certain modes may not reflect physical reality.)

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

dee eight posted:

No. You are quite wrong.
Opinions are like assholes, and yours is pretty lovely.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
So I'm in a brand-new apartment. It's really nice.

I inaugurated my kitchen by making some tandoori chicken this morning. Unfortunately, while I was doing the dishes, I splashed some sauce on the wallpaper near the sink and didn't realize it; when I came home tonight, I realized that there was a neon yellow splotch on my brand-new apartment's textured, white wallpaper.

What can I do to get that out? Am I screwed?

If you have any solutions that don't involve branded products (I live in Japan), I'm listening. :(

Zzu
Jun 17, 2008
I guess just a general question.

Junior in college. I recently accepted a job working overnights at a gas station. Did 2 days of training. The new store opens up tomorrow and I start working nights there the day after.

I was recently offered a job doing a different position, better hours, and substantially more pay. (1300 vs. ~2500 monthly). How do I go tell my current employer that I'm a huge rear end in a top hat and I want to go to the other job.

Zzu fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Apr 17, 2012

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

tarepanda posted:

So I'm in a brand-new apartment. It's really nice.

I inaugurated my kitchen by making some tandoori chicken this morning. Unfortunately, while I was doing the dishes, I splashed some sauce on the wallpaper near the sink and didn't realize it; when I came home tonight, I realized that there was a neon yellow splotch on my brand-new apartment's textured, white wallpaper.

What can I do to get that out? Am I screwed?

If you have any solutions that don't involve branded products (I live in Japan), I'm listening. :(

a lick of white paint is probably the best solution. And why don't you have tiles around your kitchen area walls? Wallpaper is a bad idea around your sink/kitchen.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I'd have to find paint that matches the wallpaper, which is more of a pain in the rear end in Japan than it sounds like.

The surface immediately around the sink/stove is faux marble, but there's wallpaper close to that, probably because it's a Japanese apartment and very tiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Zzu posted:

I guess just a general question.

Junior in college. I recently accepted a job working overnights at a gas station. Did 2 days of training. The new store opens up tomorrow and I start working nights there the day after.

I was recently offered a job doing a different position, better hours, and substantially more pay. (1300 vs. ~2500 monthly). How do I go tell my current employer that I'm a huge rear end in a top hat and I want to go to the other job.

The goon way would be to leave a note on the door.