Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Dirty Frank posted:

Europe, Liberal = small government, big business
America, Liberal = I don't even know.

I suspect both are retarded.

America's definition of liberal is pretty much the opposite of the European one you have listed here. Republicans i.e. Conservatives are all about big industry and keeping the government out of our business, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Dirty Frank posted:

She paints a dim view of fascist governments, the idea that no government can do good, is a liberal failing. which shows how the word liberal means such different things on each side of the atlantic.

Europe, Liberal = small government, big business
America, Liberal = I don't even know.

I think a lot of JK Rowling's politics stem from her time as a struggling single parent which is directly linked to perhaps her most outspoken political acidity - opposing David Cameron's plan to incentivise marriage.

I would say that Rowling seems to target bureaucracy eroding and corrupting institutions more than strictly fascism, although there are definitely extremely obvious parallels to the erosion of civil liberties in a response to terrorism.

It'd be interesting if any of the current issues with the NHS would have leaked into Potter if she were writing them today.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Dirty Frank posted:

You have mastered an understanding of every political system ever, pretty much. In America "liberal" doesn't have a single definition, because it generally means "agreeing with the Democratic Party," whose opinions are so varied it's impossible to classify them as "pro-freedom," "pro-big-government," "progressive," or anything like that. For example, they're generally referred to as the party that's for big government, but they generally oppose war, which is a large part of our government spending; they also generally oppose taxes, because everyone generally opposes taxes, which obviously isn't very pro-big-government of them. I don't know much about British politics, but I'd bet it's pretty much exactly the opposite of the British meaning of "liberal."

Also, "Libertarian" is more like American "conservative"/British "liberal" than American "liberal." It's all hosed up.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Pottermore is open for everyone now.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Blodskur posted:

Pottermore is open for everyone now.

As soon as I saw that announcement through MuggleNet on Facebook, I was there. I do have some worries as others have complained about how boring it is after a day or two of exploring.

SkullStar19783 for me! I got to choose from quite a few good names, I was surprised. But this sounded the most badass.

Edited to Add: A couple of more thoughts about Harry Potter. One: What is the implication of wizarding birth control? You have a big school like that with both genders basically living together, you're going to have teenage sex. Two: Who are we kidding? Had Snape lived, he would have hated both of Harry's sons. And before you say, "Well, his youngest son has the middle name Severus"--he wouldn't have been called that if Snape hadn't died. I doubt Snape would have shared his memories with Harry had he lived. I mean, you can tell that the eldest son is a little poo poo already and he's even named James Potter II.

bean_shadow fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 14, 2012

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

bean_shadow posted:

I mean, you can tell that the eldest son is a little poo poo already and he's even named James Potter II.
This can be said about nearly everyone in the series once enough is revealed about them. Even Hermione (who is suppose to somewhat of a self-insert for Rowling), did stuff like permanently disfiguring someone's face for snitching, leaving Umbridge to get raped by a bunch of horse people, and loving around with her parents' heads.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I always find it annoying when people bitch about the characters in YA fiction being little shits. To me, it would be much more surprising and unrealistic if they weren't.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

PT6A posted:

I always find it annoying when people bitch about the characters in YA fiction being little shits. To me, it would be much more surprising and unrealistic if they weren't.
I'm not saying it's not reasonable, just pointing out how Rowling deliberately added very visible flaws to every character. What actually annoys me is how magic physics isn't consistent and people are so incompetent.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
SunFirebolt7119 reporting for duty, though I'm still annoyed that we can't pick our name and are "assigned" to protect our poor selves.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Anya posted:

SunFirebolt7119 reporting for duty, though I'm still annoyed that we can't pick our name and are "assigned" to protect our poor selves.

But... but... WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!? :byodame:

That's the entire point of being assigned names - so Pottermore moderators don't have to chase down usernames for being inappropriate and possibly even HARMFUL TO TEH CHIDLRENS ONOES :rolleyes:

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
Joined as the rather evil sounding BloodSnitch29665.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
JinxCentaur23370 here! I wondered what a jinx centaur would look like, so I GISed it and got this as the first result:

I hope I get to change my username soon!

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

daggerdragon posted:

HARMFUL TO TEH CHIDLRENS ONOES :rolleyes:

Ugh, this mindset kills me to no end.

Has anyone figured out how to wave a wand during a potion, because this is driving me crazy right now.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Does anyone have any idea when Chamber of Secrets (and all the others) are going to be unlocked? Because I've been through Philosopher's Stone twice now, and the site has completely run out of things that are interesting.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I'm a Hufflepuff! I honestly expected to get into Ravenclaw because I'm smart and lazy, but I have to admit that I do care more about being good than being wise. V:downs:V

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Pththya-lyi posted:

I'm a Hufflepuff! I honestly expected to get into Ravenclaw because I'm smart and lazy, but I have to admit that I do care more about being good than being wise. V:downs:V
Hufflepuffs are particularly good finders.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I'm sure it's interesting reading other stranger's results but yo wassup girl check out my unyeilding 10 3/4 inch Hawthorn with Unicorn core.

EDIT: "Hey Szmitten, what's up?"
"Nothing, I'm just....Slytherin' :smug:"

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 15, 2012

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
My wand is Elder with unicorn core, ten and three quarters inches, unyielding.

House is Ravenclaw (I figured I'd be in Hufflepuff). Pet is a brown / grey tabby cat. I'm sure most people chose owls. Anybody choose a toad?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

bean_shadow posted:

My wand is Elder with unicorn core, ten and three quarters inches, unyielding.

House is Ravenclaw (I figured I'd be in Hufflepuff). Pet is a brown / grey tabby cat. I'm sure most people chose owls. Anybody choose a toad?

I have a Harlequin toad (:frogc00l:) and a hazel wand, ten-and-three-quarter inches, slightly springy, with a phoenix feather core.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Pththya-lyi posted:

I thought people would put in randomly according to what House needs more people? What are the stats now?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Got a 123/4 inch unyielding sycamore wand with unicorn hair core, a Siamese cat, and just got sorted into Ravenclaw. Pretty sure I just won Pottermore. :c00lbert:

Seriously though, I'm a little ashamed at how into this I'm getting.

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 17, 2012

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I was honestly more excited about my wand than my house. Holly and dragon heartstring, yeah.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Do the other books unlock if you own the e-versions of them?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Azubah posted:

Do the other books unlock if you own the e-versions of them?
That'd be far too clever an idea for them.

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.
In hufflepuff as SkullBludger30473

12 & 3/4 in Maple with pheonix feather core, supple. I listed shorter than average height too. Toad here, represent.

Jesus H. Christ
Aug 3, 2004

$ $ $Everybody's got a price$ $ $
In as FlameCloak18780 the GRYFFINDOR. :3 Wand is Laurel and Dragon Core, 14 inches, pliant.

Echoing the "oh god i am embarrassed how awesome this is" sentiment. Also, friending everyone on this page so far.

I was so skeptical of this stuff, too, when it took so long to open. "Pff, who cares?" For now, at least, this has been worth the wait.

ghableska
Jul 9, 2008
Pottermore is doing a great job of illustrating how horribly tedious and finicky potion creation is.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Blasted through the first book since I didn't really have anything else to do today. It was pretty fun as just a silly thing to waste time on, hopefully the second book doesn't take too long to go up (although judging by how long it took to open to the public considering it was originally supposed to in October, I won't get my hopes up).

I enjoyed the ending parts especially, things like finding the right key and finding the Philosopher's Stone being dependent on (or at least greatly aided by) having actually read the books. Also really liked the element of kleptomania that the Harry Potter series desperately needed. Hope you don't ever need that copy of Quidditch Through The Ages, Hermione. :ninja:

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 16, 2012

squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.

Jesus H. Christ posted:

In as FlameCloak18780 the GRYFFINDOR. :3 Wand is Laurel and Dragon Core, 14 inches, pliant.

Echoing the "oh god i am embarrassed how awesome this is" sentiment. Also, friending everyone on this page so far.

I was so skeptical of this stuff, too, when it took so long to open. "Pff, who cares?" For now, at least, this has been worth the wait.

What's up Gryffindor buddy? Just got sorted into my house under FeatherWild3604. Wand is 10 inches, Ebony, Unicorn core and slightly springy. White cat pet, no regrets!

This is actually fun to whittle away some time with during the day.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
Sorted into Ravenclaw :c00l:

I'm also probably not gonna read the new book. It sounds boring.

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

A little bit of solidarity goes a long way.
Ohgod, sorted into Slitherin. I don't even know how I feel about this. I was kinda hoping for Ravenclaw.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Site's buggy and overloaded again I guess. Oh well, too bad, I'm still in Hufflepuff, now there's like 16 million house points or something.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Fourteen-inch, black walnut, unicorn hair. Unyielding. And it sent me, my ginger cat, and my massive, unyielding black rod off to Slytherin. Just as I'd expected. :smug:

I've never been super-duper into HP but I am a sucker for a) quizzes, and b) author's commentary, so this site is pretty sweet for me.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
I read through most of the new information on pottermore yesterday, and what stood out the most is how autobiographical McGonagall's back story is. There's an obvious case to be made for Hermione being Rowling's self-insert (as well as Harry himself), but McGonagall is essentially Rowling's idealized grandma self, and no-one ever knew.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

reflir posted:

Sorted into Ravenclaw :c00l:

I'm also probably not gonna read the new book. It sounds boring.

I don't know, it's definitely not a PEW PEW MAGIC LASERS AND DRAGONS sort of exciting like Harry Potter, but I think it could be really good if she keeps the same kind of charm and wit she wrote HP with. I'll probably end up picking it up.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

reflir posted:

I read through most of the new information on pottermore yesterday, and what stood out the most is how autobiographical McGonagall's back story is. There's an obvious case to be made for Hermione being Rowling's self-insert (as well as Harry himself), but McGonagall is essentially Rowling's idealized grandma self, and no-one ever knew.

Yeah, McGoogle's story made me mist up for real (:cry:), but you can tell that she put a lot more thought into it than in some other characters' write-ups (e.g. Quirrel).

I also enjoyed Vernon and Petunia's back story. I can just see Vernon at the breakfast table, shaking out his Daily Mail and complaining about these drat wizards spending his tax money on newt eyes and leeches and all that other rubbish :britain:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I think my favorite bit of behind-the-scenes trivia is that the Patil twins were originally the Patel twins. I wonder what made her decide that an "i" works much better than an "e?"

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

PhoenixBludger30069 (lol). Redwood and dragon wand, 12 3/4", unyielding. Sorted into Slytherin, but I really wanted Ravenclaw. :(

More than anything, I'm enjoying the artwork. Dueling is kind of fun, but I pretty much sailed through book 1 not knowing book 2 isn't out yet. Ugh, just get me to PoA already!

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
I signed up this morning, got the first confirmation email but didn't get the second one "inviting me to explore pottermore" or whatever. How long did you guys have to wait? I wonder if it's overloaded already...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Mine took almost 24 hours after I confirmed my account. From what my other friends have said, that seems to be the average.

• Locked thread