Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I have to quit going to local club gatherings. I just get reminded what the people I've been talking to on repeaters look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

eddiewalker posted:

I have to quit going to local club gatherings. I just get reminded what the people I've been talking to on repeaters look like.

Or, have fun with it.

One hamfest I went to locally there was a booth selling custom engraved (like, plastic milled) name badges.

I had to, I mean I HAD to. So, I live in Colorado but have a 6 call from Cali, so I got this old school style cali license plate from the 80s looking badge, with my name and call, and it is so ugly it's painful. I wear it proudly any time i'm at any ham meetup.

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I just got my first HF rig up and running, built almost entirely from donated parts. The radio is an IC-720A, tuner is an MFJ-949E, a gigantic non-switching 35A power supply, and I'm running a dipole tuned for 40m in an inverted V. This old radio works pretty well.

Dijkstra posted:

Has anyone built any large loop antennas? Any pointers? I'm moving to a house with a large lot soon and was thinking about putting up a window line-fed 40 meter loop. Probably either a vertical delta loop or a horizontal skywire. (leaning towards skywire)
I helped the guy who gave me the tuner put up an 80m horizontal loop made out of electric fence wire strung up 8m off the ground around the perimeter of his back yard, fed with window line, and he loves it.

Edit: The contest this weekend makes this a crazy time to start operating on HF. I'm just listening to the contest folks and searching for quiet bands to practice tuning up.

Curly Shuffle fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 26, 2012

SiB
May 6, 2005

Curly Shuffle posted:

Edit: The contest this weekend makes this a crazy time to start operating on HF. I'm just listening to the contest folks and searching for quiet bands to practice tuning up.

I'm pretty new also, but the contest can give you some ideas of what your equipment can do. I have made 17 contacts just playing around over the weekend. I am in alberta canada, I have talked to 8 US states, and Russia. Tried for Argentina but didnt have the power and propagation. This is all on 15m and 20m.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sniep posted:

Or, have fun with it.

One hamfest I went to locally there was a booth selling custom engraved (like, plastic milled) name badges.

I had to, I mean I HAD to. So, I live in Colorado but have a 6 call from Cali, so I got this old school style cali license plate from the 80s looking badge, with my name and call, and it is so ugly it's painful. I wear it proudly any time i'm at any ham meetup.

Oh, man, I had to get a hamhat at the last hamfest.

It's bright blue with my call and has a mesh back and has an embroidery rope thingy along the edge of the bill.
Pure, unadulterated hamclass.

^5 callsign-from-another-zone buddy. 2x3 4-land call in 5-land confuses the hicks. "When'd ya move here?" "Bout 19 years ago"

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Mar 27, 2012

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

Oh, man, I had to get a hamhat at the last hamfest.

It's bright blue with my call and has a mesh back and has an embroidery rope thingy along the edge of the bill.
Pure, unadulterated hamclass.

^5 callsign-from-another-zone buddy. 2x3 4-land call in 5-land confuses the hicks. "When'd ya move here?" "Bout 19 years ago"

I had a hamhat back when I was first licensed, I was the coolest 13-year-old. :v:

On a related note, I just renewed my license, and holy poo poo, I've been licensed 20 years. I should maybe upgrade.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

again, tomorrow at the timonium fairgrounds, starting at seven AM: greater baltimore hamboree!! in the cow palace. $9 to get in.

I AM SELLING MY JEWELRY HERE. most pieces are $10!! and no shipping fees!

please come visit. we'll be in the back right, I think. the third section of the building. dad is selling large train capacitors. DIY raiigun, anyone?

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
I'll be at Timonium, but drat the price went up again! Guess it's still worth it since it's the biggest hamfest in the region.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Radio Nowhere posted:

I'll be at Timonium, but drat the price went up again! Guess it's still worth it since it's the biggest hamfest in the region.

I know, it's kind of a drag. but attendance has been pretty poor in recent years, and they're not making $$$$$ like they used to.

there's a picture of me in my profile :v: we're in the way back of the cow palace, just ask me about the stairs.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I ordered one of these cheap chinese frequency counters a month ago. It just showed up.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/professional-1-4-lcd-50mhz-2-6ghz-handheld-radio-frequency-counter-3-aaa-41619

Works pretty decent. It's basically accurate to the second decimal place in the UHF and VHF ranges. I got an instant lock on a mall cops radio from 20 ft away. Other than that, I don't know what I'm gonna do with it, but I'm a sucker for cheap toys.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...
I may be relocating to Redmond, WA from Vancouver, BC later this summer.

Judging by *these* links:

* http://www.arrl.org/foreign-licenses-operating-in-u-s
* http://www.rac.ca/en/amateur-radio/regulatory/operating-in-canada/canada-usa.php

... I should be ok to operate there once I get a place to live? Note, I am not becomming a citizen, and I am not becoming a permanent resident.

I only have a Basic+ license, so I think I'll need to get a 5 WPM code endorsement if i want to play on HF when I get down there....

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009
Passed my technician test last night!
Now I need a radio, any suggestions? I'm a college student, so I'll be moving around a lot; I've been thinking of just getting a handheld radio so that I can use it in my car, is that a decent plan?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

angrytech posted:

Now I need a radio, any suggestions? I'm a college student, so I'll be moving around a lot; I've been thinking of just getting a handheld radio so that I can use it in my car, is that a decent plan?

A handheld in a car is going to be nothing but frustrating without an external antenna. Paired with a small magmount like the $20 MFJ-1722S might be OK. There's a guy around here who hits most of the local repeaters fine with an HT and external antenna, though scratchy at times.

Kind of depends on your area and what you're looking to do.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

angrytech posted:

Whenever I go on a road trip, I toss my hand held onto the seat beside me.

Never had a problem, always gets me into the repeaters a I care about.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009
Is there a way that I can like unscrew the handheld antenna and plug it into an external or something? That would rock.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

eddiewalker posted:

Kind of depends on your area and what you're looking to do.

Yep, really depends. I haven't had any problems with my HT in a big metro area. $10 mag mount easily doubled my range, though.

Who's going to Dayton this year? I might be giving a talk on high-altitude ballooning. Our particular program isn't too interesting (to hams) any more, though, since we've switched to commercial satellite radios for telemetry.

angrytech posted:

Is there a way that I can like unscrew the handheld antenna and plug it into an external or something? That would rock.

Almost any radio can do this. Buy a $100 Chinese to start out, they're great.

FunkyVajjina
Feb 25, 2008

The Party's almost over!

Zuph posted:

Buy a $100 Chinese to start out, they're great.

Definitely. I bought a Wouxun to play around with but was blown away at the quality.

Also, if you want to get into long distance stuff with your handheld look into working satellites. Easy enough with a handheld and a cheap antenna. work-sat.com has info on where to get a premade antenna and has plans on making a cheap antenna made from pvc and a tape measure that you can get you talking on the birds.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

angrytech posted:

Get a Yaesu FT-60R, a trunk mount magnetic antenna that has decent dual-band (440 & 2m) that can be stashed in the trunk when not operating, and a copy of the repeater guide latest release at the time

Only problem is the battery restriction - and that radio can't TX while being charged - It's old, too.

Best option though in my perspective is to do that and if you have fun and run out of battery doing that, throw in a FT-7900R when you commit to being active mobile, and just eat it, wire it to that same magmount, then enjoy some real power and sensitivity.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
My next radio will be the Wouxun 2M/220 HT. Looks to be the cheapest way to get the 220 band I've been missing.

SiB
May 6, 2005
I'm buying a second Wouxun KG-UVD1P. Totally happy with it. I have the 2m/70cm version.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
Why do dual band radios usually transmit less power UHF compared to VHF? I would think it would be the other way around; more power on a higher frequency would equal similar range on a lower frequency. What's the deal?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
It's not a design decision, it's a technical limitation. Transistor gain goes down as the frequency goes up. It's called the 'gain-bandwidth product'. Also, in general it's harder to engineer a radio/circuit at a higher frequency than a low one. Go see the hoops that microwave hams have to go through to get a couple watts of RF at 10 GHz.

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal
What's the status of SAARS?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Anybody have a recommendation for a decent, but not too expensive dual-band mobile rig? Something I can pop into my Mazda 3 for Skywarn season :v:

Otherwise it's off to eham.net to pour over reviews.

Edit: Maybe something with a detachable faceplate so I can mount the rest of it in the trunk.

manero fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 14, 2012

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I've had my Icom 208H for about four years now and still love it. Dual bands, wide receive, PC programmable, remote head. It doesn't do dual receive but you can always run a scanner or HT on the side for an additional RX. CAT5 extensions work fine for the microphone. I've got the head mounted in the sunglass holder of my 325i, and the radio itself in the trunk. It's nice to have a three foot antenna cable. :D Plus my battery is trunk mount, so wiring it was a very simple matter.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

manero posted:

Anybody have a recommendation for a decent, but not too expensive dual-band mobile rig? Something I can pop into my Mazda 3 for Skywarn season :v:

Otherwise it's off to eham.net to pour over reviews.

Edit: Maybe something with a detachable faceplate so I can mount the rest of it in the trunk.

Wow, you are exactly in the same situation as me! I have a Mazda 3 and I'm looking to get this,

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-010079

Dual band, detachable faceplate and even has Noaa Weather alert. Most stores I've checked sell it with the faceplate kit. Just curious what are you doing for a antenna?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Radio Nowhere posted:

Wow, you are exactly in the same situation as me! I have a Mazda 3 and I'm looking to get this,

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-010079

Dual band, detachable faceplate and even has Noaa Weather alert. Most stores I've checked sell it with the faceplate kit. Just curious what are you doing for a antenna?

I had this page bookmarked from maybe a year or so ago:

http://vesicular.livejournal.com/200067.html

And now I'm looking at that IC-208H since it's the same rig in this setup :)

I have a Comet B-20NMO dual-band antenna that I've had laying around, and I just bought a Comet CP-5NMO mount that was discussed in the link above. It wasn't cheap :(

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

I am building myself a "paint can dummy load".

http://www.ai4ji.com/Projects/dummyload.htm

Let's see how this turns out...

(Also, I'm going to buy an IC-7000. Don't tell my wife.)

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Not a 3, but I just put a Kenwood tm-v71 in my Mazda6. Body mounted on the trunk roof, face mounted above the rearview mirror with a "blend mount" made for a Scanguage, mic in the armrest cubby, everything extended with hidden ethernet cable, MFJ-1722 super-small antenna.

I love it.

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?
Does impedance matching matter when receiving only? The first result on google says it is, the second one claims it does not.

I'm troubleshooting my just-completed SoftRock and impedance mismatch is the only obvious thing I'm doing wrong. The SDR wants a 50 Ohm antenna, and the junk one I got for free is reading about an ohm.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

NotHet posted:

Does impedance matching matter when receiving only? The first result on google says it is, the second one claims it does not.

I'm troubleshooting my just-completed SoftRock and impedance mismatch is the only obvious thing I'm doing wrong. The SDR wants a 50 Ohm antenna, and the junk one I got for free is reading about an ohm.

Of course not...

ARRL Handbook posted:

If the load is a pure resistance whose value equals the characteristic impedance of the line, the line is said to be matched. To current traveling along the line, such a load at the end of the line acts as though it were still more transmission line of the same characteristic impedance. In a matched transmission line, energy travels outward along the line from the source until it reaches the load, where it is completely absorbed (or radiated if the load is an antenna).

Assume now that the line in Fig 20.3B is terminated in an impedance Za which is not equal to Z0 of the transmission line. The line is now a mismatched line. RF energy reaching the end of a mismatched line will not be fully absorbed by the load impedance. Instead, part of the energy will be reflected back toward the source. The amount of reflected versus absorbed energy depends on the degree of mismatch between the characteristic impedance of the line and the load impedance connected to its end.

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal
That makes sense, since I've noticed I can get in the ballpark tuning up with a manual antenna tuner "by ear" just hearing how the background noise gets stronger as I work the knobs.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Hey ya'll know what makes me enjoy life?

Trying to program old kenwood radios with vista/win 7 computers.

:(

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

invision posted:

Guess that's why you see 486s for sale at the hamfests.... software only works on Win 95, you can get away charging $50 for a 20 year old PC

manero
Jan 30, 2006

invision posted:

What about something like virtualbox running Win95?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

invision posted:

XP Mode in Windows 7 worked for my VX-7R software until I found a tool that was more modern.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I just started studying for the technician level class. I need an excuse to get back into electronics as a hobby. :science:

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I went out to the garage today to clear a space, and low and behold I stumbled upon some of my dad's old ham radio stuff. Could you guys tell me what I've got here? There might be more stashed in the garage that I need to look for.

Click for freaking huge.

Radnor
Dec 11, 2002

Octoparrot is watching you.
That's a Kenwood TS-520S, a HF transceiver that works 160-10m. Looks like he also has the external VFO and digital display for it, along with an SWR antenna meter.

Do you have a license to use it? If not you should get one and use it yourself. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Radnor posted:

That's a Kenwood TS-520S, a HF transceiver that works 160-10m. Looks like he also has the external VFO and digital display for it, along with an SWR antenna meter.

Do you have a license to use it? If not you should get one and use it yourself. :)

Unfortunately, I do not have a license, nor have I ever looked into getting one. But I know somewhere in here is everything I would need should I want to. I bet all this stuff still works to, even though it hasn't been used since the early 90s probably.