Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Old intake was falling apart and found this custom made one for cheaper then replacing the stock intake

Also, fixed some wiring issues with the head unit and cleaned one rim.

Then I lost ambition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I spent the best part of two days assembling this:

That open side bit goes all the way across. We've had it for three or so years and I've never assembled the annex, nor had any idea how it looked or if it were complete. There are a ridiculous amount of parts, some definitely after market.

I have never seen an annex with a peaked roofline before. That made it extra interesting. Now I have to pull it all apart in the next few hours to get the trailer out. Or cut down the front fence :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Installed a new lighting harness that uses relays and heavier gauge wire to provide for a higher wattage headlight bulb. It'll come in handy for TSDs as well as night driving, as the stock H4s would get drowned out in streetlights easily.

We had to bang out a small backing plate (used the backplate from an electrical outlet box) and fitted it to the horn mount behind my drivers' side headlight.

I got it from Daniel Stern.

Soon I'll be tearing the front end of the car apart again to install upgraded horns as the stockers have become seized with rust.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 14, 2012

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Installed a new lighting harness that uses relays and heavier gauge wire to provide for a higher wattage headlight bulb. It'll come in handy for TSDs as well as night driving, as the stock H4s would get drowned out in streetlights easily.

I have to do that with the VW. 37? year old wire over 5m long doesn't cut it any more. Especially with 55/100 bulbs. Having so much trouble finding non-ricey looking 0 gauge wire. It all has this fake carbon fibre transparent insulation and costs heaps. I wouldn't trust that poo poo. Perhaps welder wire is the way to go.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I gained 80whp at redline today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsLN_54IKdw (early pull)

think I'm pretty close to being done with the car for a while. My eyes would fall out of my head if I went back and tallied all the money I've spent on this old girl in the past year.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

We had to bang out a small backing plate (used the backplate from an electrical outlet box) and fitted it to the horn mount behind my drivers' side headlight.

I got it from Daniel Stern.

Soon I'll be tearing the front end of the car apart again to install upgraded horns as the stockers have become seized with rust.

That's the easiest and one of the best upgrades I've found for stock lighting. Cheapest, too, if you go with something less flashy like Summit Racing's kits http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GRM-01-133/

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

General_Failure posted:

I have to do that with the VW. 37? year old wire over 5m long doesn't cut it any more. Especially with 55/100 bulbs. Having so much trouble finding non-ricey looking 0 gauge wire. It all has this fake carbon fibre transparent insulation and costs heaps. I wouldn't trust that poo poo. Perhaps welder wire is the way to go.

If you just need headlight wire, 0 is way, way overkill. 12 would be more appropriate, 10 if it's a long stretch. Or does it run the full power for the starter through the ignition switch?

Welder wire works perfect for heavy gauge automotive applications.

edit: VVVV :downs: I guess the battery is in the back isn't it? 0 gauge it is then!

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 15, 2012

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

If you just need headlight wire, 0 is way, way overkill. 12 would be more appropriate, 10 if it's a long stretch. Or does it run the full power for the starter through the ignition switch?

Welder wire works perfect for heavy gauge automotive applications.

Only full power for the solenoid. BUT the power for all the lights, engine, stereo, fans etc. goes by one wire. And for the engine and other things of course it's going double the length of the vehicle which accounting for ups and downs, side to side as well it'd probably be a 12 meter run of cable in some spots. Voltage drop is really bad, especially when it's loaded. besides that if I ever pick up a winch, the thick wire will be a godsend.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Today I swapped out the OEM brake pads of undetermined age for some nice new Mintex Redstuffs on my 09 Jetta Dieselwagon. Braking power is up and the door is open to doing some tuning to boost HP and torque because come on who doesn't want more torque from a diesel?

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Matlock posted:

After the third such time of nearly breaking the drat housing to get the air filter back into the Vibe, I got a K&N Typhoon short ram.

Strangely, the gas mileage has gone up a couple MPG on this fill cycle.

As a sort of update to this post, my gas mileage in the 2.4L has ranged from 25 in the dead of the winter to 28 in the summer on my commute (24 miles, largely highway, some rural, two stop lights and two stop signs).

I've seen 30-31MPG on the last two fills, and I'm not driving conservatively. :swoon:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Changed the (probably original) cabin air filter in my Skyline:

Guess I've been breathing half a decade of Japanese smog :barf:

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Matlock posted:

As a sort of update to this post, my gas mileage in the 2.4L has ranged from 25 in the dead of the winter to 28 in the summer on my commute (24 miles, largely highway, some rural, two stop lights and two stop signs).

I've seen 30-31MPG on the last two fills, and I'm not driving conservatively. :swoon:

YOU ARE AN IDIOT FOR INSTALLING THAT EBAY JUNK. YOU THINK YOU KNOW BETTER THAN YOUR CAR'S MANUFACTURER AND THE GOONS?!

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Ozmiander posted:

YOU ARE AN IDIOT FOR INSTALLING THAT EBAY JUNK. YOU THINK YOU KNOW BETTER THAN YOUR CAR'S MANUFACTURER AND THE GOONS?!

I don't know if mine qualifies for chinese ripoff ebay junk as it was custom made by Lincoln LS Owners Club, but in the day and a half I've had my newer intake installed my average mpg has gone up 1 mpg. If I reset it, I am sure it would be much higher.

And after typing this out, I realized you are being sarcastic and I need to not read the forums before I have my morning coffee.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Getting this truck operational. It's sat for about 5 years with 1 year of use inbetween. Lots and lots of cleaning and getting rat pee smells out (wasn't fun), and now rebuilding the hitch. 1 ton, 1995, 350ci, 2wd. It's lived just about the hardest life a truck can.

Rear brake seized a bit, so just teeter-tottered it up with a tractor and the double hitch + a bolt method.

Untouched motor, transmission rebuilt at 250k. Original ball joints, 2nd rear main seal, first rad, etc. :getin:

The problem

Weld the frame plates to the bench, cut the tube out, clad the frame plates and drop in a piece of 3.5" 3/8" wall box tube, repierce the receiver hitch back in and gusset the tube to the plates.

Got to get it stripped down to the frame and sandblast and repaint with POR15. Going to pick up cab corners and rebuild that, then buy doors and fenders and paint it all. Bed needs to be replaced someday, but it's still functional so who cares.

never give up

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 15, 2012

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Went to canadian tire to buy a turn signal lightbulb, and when I came up my throttle response was terrible, took 6-7 seconds just to get up to 50kph. Idle was fine and the car had absolutely no hesistation so I decided to tear the intake apart when I got home.

Found the problem when I got to the traction control throttle body. It is not supposed to be closed like that.

Culprit was the motor that winds the cable. It should be fully retracted when the car is off but it had no play.

As soon as I pulled the cable, the throttle plate went back to the correct position.

And since my traction control is already not working, I just removed the throttle plate.

As a bonus, it fixed a wierd hesitation I used to have on hard acceleration. Either the broken TCS was trying to limit the intake air with no wheelspin, or the throttle plate wasn't returned to the rest position and the intake charge was causing it to flutter when the main throttle was fully open. Pretty happy though, I've done a ton of work on cars but never just gone and diagnosed the problem without the internet.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 15, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

PainterofCrap posted:

I too have shamelessly stolen my mom's gardening kneepad for automotive use.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I too have shamelessly stolen my mom's gardening kneepad for automotive use.

Seconding. I think we have that exact one, too. Same color and everything.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Saved my bumper :v:

and it's my wife's

Detroit117
Mar 28, 2012

Wings Of Steel
Got a puncture, and changed a tire in the pouring rain.

Hate the rain. My only dependable vehicle with a roof is a pickup. :(

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

Saved my bumper :v:

I hate this "design feature" most about my engine lift. I mean, what the hell? Not only does it dig into the bumper but it makes operating the pump a huge pain in the rear end.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Detroit117 posted:

That makes two of us. although the "dependable" part is still questionable.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Drove it :swoon:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Me too...85 out. Woke the neighbors :stonk:

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Sold it. You will be missed little Chevy Cobalt Sport.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I got 4 good 13" 4 stud tyres off a guy in freecycle and carted them home.
Filled up the air compressor to see which ones held air the best...

then remember that my trailer has 5 stud hubs not 4. Shame because I could really use a few inches lower ride to fix the crazy angle it makes when hooked up to the Falcon.

Oh well, back to freecycle they go.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Got my studs off for the summer and finally got the window brackets unfucked. I can roll my windows down again! My attempts to fix the problem with gorilla glue and JB weld met with failure; the solution was, apparently, an even grippier adhesive I didn't know about.

Javid fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Apr 17, 2012

Detroit117
Mar 28, 2012

Wings Of Steel

Detroit117 posted:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That makes two of us. although the "dependable" part is still questionable.

It is great if you need to haul something. The rest of the time, I am longing for a lively, little two door with a manual.

Also, what pickup do you own? In my experience, you can depend on a truck if the basic maintenance has been kept up with and it has under 250,000 miles on it.

Detroit117 fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 17, 2012

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Changed the oil, rotated the tires, and gave it a nice wash. Then it was promptly covered with pollen after a few hours. I may not have allergies, but gently caress you spring! Doesn't help that my car is black :sigh:

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
It's a power steering cooler :neckbeard:

(and it was an independent shop, not me)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Admirable Gusto posted:

It's a power steering cooler :neckbeard:

(and it was an independent shop, not me)

Hunh, on a low car like a Cayman, you'd think they'd do more to protect the rubber hoses.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

kimbo305 posted:

Hunh, on a low car like a Cayman, you'd think they'd do more to protect the rubber hoses.

Good point; I really should get a mesh grill on there

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009

Ironsights posted:

Changed the oil, rotated the tires, and gave it a nice wash. Then it was promptly covered with pollen after a few hours. I may not have allergies, but gently caress you spring! Doesn't help that my car is black :sigh:

You're telling my story. My car was lookin' sharp and black and now its all pollinated. Yellow hazy black paint just isn't as cool.

To add to the thread, a bit of spirited driving ripped my monobloc amp for my subwoofer free of its mounting point and also managed to rip off the fittings from the subwoofer. I took it in this morning to a local stereo place and had it all much more securely mounted. Looks good / feels good.

Roman Rambo fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 17, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Detroit117 posted:

It is great if you need to haul something. The rest of the time, I am longing for a lively, little two door with a manual.

Also, what pickup do you own? In my experience, you can depend on a truck if the basic maintenance has been kept up with and it has under 250,000 miles on it.

Mine is a lovely little 2 door with a manual.
2000 ford ranger 2.5l
I love the poo poo out of that truck.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Nothing actually done to it, but I did test fit the P clips for the coolant hoses on the VW, trying to find a good place to put them. I did. I just want to do it without drilling any more holes. Might need a couple more P clips before I feel happy with it all though.

When I do this the hoses will no longer rest on the trailing arms. Yay! I still need to secure the heater hoses somehow though as they keep falling on to one of the half shafts. Lucky I can't drive it anywhere.

Another thing I sort of did was gain a sense of relief over doing the engine swap. On TheSamba I saw someone strip down a heater box to remove melted aluminium fins. They also removed the asbestos matting. What? Oh poo poo so not only do the heater boxes use their exhaust to air heat exchange, they used asbestos matting in there, in an area which has air being blown into the cabin to increase insulation. Thanks for that VW. I know you hate people, but loving hell. Seriously?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Replaced my front drivers side wheel bearing/hub and rotor. Both were rusted to peak new england, in addition to the wheel bearing being grenaded.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
The brakes on the truck really sucked and only seemed to suck more as time passed..

..... I thought it was just air in the lines....

New calipers, rotors, and pads and it stops like it should.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

evilnissan posted:

The brakes on the truck really sucked and only seemed to suck more as time passed..

..... I thought it was just air in the lines....

New calipers, rotors, and pads and it stops like it should.

Crosspost that to the horrible mechanical failures thread...

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Not my ride, but I installed a VHF radio system into three Humvees today. That was fun and a bit different than my normal everyday job.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Regnevelc posted:

Not my ride, but I installed a VHF radio system into three Humvees today. That was fun and a bit different than my normal everyday job.

VHF radio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

General_Failure posted:

VHF radio?

Yeah. SINCGARS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SINCGARS