Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

rcman50166 posted:

I'm not sure what happened there. I edited them on a CRT then posted them. I later checked on my laptop and saw how terribly they came out. Luckily I still have the RAWs.

Your TFT laptop screen unless its been calibrated, is probably the culprit here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Currently trying to attempt night photography of skyscrapers with my D5100 with 18-200mm 3.5-5.6 lens. Any suggestions? I've messed around with the settings and all I get are pretty blurry pictures!

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Musket posted:

Your TFT laptop screen unless its been calibrated, is probably the culprit here.

So wait you are saying my laptop is what is producing crappy images? Are the photos I posted not crappy (They look that way to me)?

Busy Bee posted:

Currently trying to attempt night photography of skyscrapers with my D5100 with 18-200mm 3.5-5.6 lens. Any suggestions? I've messed around with the settings and all I get are pretty blurry pictures!

Try going to manual focus, spinning the focus ring as far as it goes to infinity, then back off slightly. After you take the photo, check to see how it looks, zoom in and pixel peep. Generally a bad habit, but it'll help you get your photos into focus.

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 13, 2012

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

rcman50166 posted:

Try going to manual focus, spinning the focus ring as far as it goes to infinity, then back off slightly. After you take the photo, check to see how it looks, zoom in and pixel peep. Generally a bad habit, but it'll help you get your photos into focus.

I did that and it still looks blurry... hmmm

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Busy Bee posted:

I did that and it still looks blurry... hmmm

Are you using a trigger? If you are pushing the camera with your finger you might shake it, making "blurry" photos. If you don't have a trigger, set your camera drive to a 2 second delay.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

rcman50166 posted:

Are you using a trigger? If you are pushing the camera with your finger you might shake it, making "blurry" photos. If you don't have a trigger, set your camera drive to a 2 second delay.

I have been using the 10 second delay function. I'll post some of the pictures I've tried to take to see if I can get any help here.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Here's the sharpest one so far. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can improve this by messing around with the settings?

I really want to take the opportunity to get the perfect shot from where I currently am.

Camera is Nikon D5100 with 18-200mm 3.5-5.6 lens.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

What were your shutter speed, aperture, ISO? Were you using a tripod? VR on?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

FasterThanLight posted:

What were your shutter speed, aperture, ISO? Were you using a tripod? VR on?

I've been messing around a lot with the settings. Some of the settings that produced pretty decent images for me were:
8 seconds, f 32, and ISO 640
0.8 seconds, f 6.3, and ISO 320
30 seconds, f 18, and ISO 100
10 seconds, f 18, and ISO 100
3 seconds, f 18, and ISO 100
30 seconds, f 14, and ISO 100

etc. As you can probably guess, I've just been doing a lot of tinkering with the settings to see what works and what doesn't.

Tripod in use and VR on. I know I'm probably just missing something so simple that's causing the pictures to be a little blurry. Although it may just be my lens.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 14, 2012

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Busy Bee posted:

[...]
Tripod in use and VR on. I know I'm probably just missing something so simple that's causing the pictures to be a little blurry. Although it may just be my lens.

That's your problem right there:
Don't use VR with a tripod.
At best it amounts to nothing and eats your battery, at worst it will try to correct shake that isn't there - making your pictures slightly blurry. If there's a strong wind blowing VR might help, but I personally would leave it off anyway as it introduces too many variables into the shoot.

Happened to me too, longer focal lengths are especially prone to this it seems.

Oh. And you probably don't want to go further than f11 on a crop sensor like yours. F16 in a pinch. Also use the lowest numbered ISO possible. E.g. ISO 100 or 50 but not LO1 or however they call it as it reduces dynamic range.

VomitOnLino fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Apr 14, 2012

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

VomitOnLino posted:

Oh. And you probably don't want to go further than f11 on a crop sensor like yours. F16 in a pinch. Also use the lowest numbered ISO possible. E.g. ISO 100 or 50 but not LO1 or however they call it as it reduces dynamic range.
Yep. I'd even go as far as to say not to stop down past f/8 if at all possible. Having enough DOF shouldn't be a problem for these types of shots.

And yes, definitely turn off VR if you're using a tripod.

Hilroy
Jul 31, 2009

Canon XS - 24mm f2.8 lens
iso 800, f4.5, 30 seconds on a tripod.

I'm new to the dorkroom. Mostly been taking night photos as I work during the day.

Something about the night / long exposure photos that I really enjoy, maybe because they look so surreal at times.

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.

Hilroy posted:

I'm new to the dorkroom. Mostly been taking night photos as I work during the day.

Something about the night / long exposure photos that I really enjoy, maybe because they look so surreal at times.
I wish the trees could be sharp, but I absolutely love this.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Hilroy posted:

This is really well-executed--gorgeous. The trees are a really solid foreground, with the Pleiades and Venus (?) centrally-located, and the string of brighter stars along the top framing the horizon hues. Very nice.

Hilroy
Jul 31, 2009

s0meb0dy0 posted:

I wish the trees could be sharp, but I absolutely love this.

What do you mean? Make them pop more? Please explain :)

Here's one more with my broken at the time but didn't realize sigma 10-20mm.
I didn't realize that the lens had some focusing issues. Meh.

Froze my rear end off taking this as it was -30*c Something out. Worth it!

Canon XS Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6
120 sec, iso 100, f4.0, 10mm, tripod

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Sunrise Bay by torgeaux, on Flickr

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.

Hilroy posted:

At least on my phone, it looks like the trees are blurry from movement. That's the one way I can think this image could be better, but it's also completely out of your control.

I really want to go out and try to capture a San Diego version of this photo now.

s0meb0dy0 fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 15, 2012

Hilroy
Jul 31, 2009

Canon XS - 5 sec ISO 200 f5.0 24mm ef lens

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Hilroy posted:

Here's one more with my broken at the time but didn't realize sigma 10-20mm.
I didn't realize that the lens had some focusing issues. Meh.

Froze my rear end off taking this as it was -30*c Something out. Worth it!

Canon XS Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6
120 sec, iso 100, f4.0, 10mm, tripod

I like the look of this one but you've got a little bit of star trailing.
Max exposure time without trails at 10mm is going to be 60 seconds (600 / focal length!).

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

rcman50166 posted:

So wait you are saying my laptop is what is producing crappy images? Are the photos I posted not crappy (They look that way to me)?

Look into Calibrating your laptop, and CRT monitor.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Busy Bee posted:

I've been messing around a lot with the settings. Some of the settings that produced pretty decent images for me were:
8 seconds, f 32, and ISO 640
0.8 seconds, f 6.3, and ISO 320
30 seconds, f 18, and ISO 100
10 seconds, f 18, and ISO 100
3 seconds, f 18, and ISO 100
30 seconds, f 14, and ISO 100

etc. As you can probably guess, I've just been doing a lot of tinkering with the settings to see what works and what doesn't.

Turn off VR, on tripods, dont shoot F/32 for diffraction reasons. Thats why your images are soft.

audio
Dec 8, 2010

scanning for shit posts

Hiya dorkroom :tipshat:

D90 kit lens (18-105mm f/3.5)
multiple x 1s @ 18mm f/16 ISO 200

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

audio posted:

Hiya dorkroom :tipshat:

D90 kit lens (18-105mm f/3.5)
multiple x 1s @ 18mm f/16 ISO 200

If only the Zipper spun that fast :allears:

Great gifs though. Nice way to put a spin :rimshot: on night photos.

audio
Dec 8, 2010

scanning for shit posts

rcman50166 posted:

If only the Zipper spun that fast :barf:

Here's a still from that set:

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Both looks good - but the still one gots the additional crazy look.

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

audio posted:

Here's a still from that set:

I love these. Some of the best amusement park shots of that type I've seen. Do you have any lessons on how you did the animated gif ones?

From my hosting.

This shot blends my street photography and a long exposure. It's actually an HDR, with the longest exposure at 30 seconds. The homeless guy literally did not move for 10-15 minutes, to the point that even at 30 seconds, he looks almost perfectly sharp unless you zoom in. The exposure of him that you see here is about 10s.

s0meb0dy0 fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 18, 2012

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005
That's a great shot. How many exposures did you take and at what settings?

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

wizard sticks posted:

That's a great shot. How many exposures did you take and at what settings?
Thanks! 35mm, ISO400, f/13 @ 1/25s, 1/8s, 1/14s, 1/2s, 1s, 2s.

I was misaken and my longer exposures were one off shots, not part of the HDR. drat, that's hardly long exposure at all.

audio
Dec 8, 2010

scanning for shit posts

s0meb0dy0 posted:

I love these. Some of the best amusement park shots of that type I've seen. Do you have any lessons on how you did the animated gif ones?

:toot:

Thanks!

Photoshop (at least CS4/CS5) has the Animation window (Window > Animation) and Save for Web & Devices (File > Save for Web & Devices) to export animations to gif. If you have never played with those before, it's not rocket surgery, but I'd be happy to elaborate if you are looking for more detail.

I had originally intended to do a time-lapse video with a few different cuts of these. The frames I used here were picked out of much larger sets and were nowhere near each other really - they just happened to loop well enough.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

audio posted:

:toot:

Thanks!

Photoshop (at least CS4/CS5) has the Animation window (Window > Animation) and Save for Web & Devices (File > Save for Web & Devices) to export animations to gif. If you have never played with those before, it's not rocket surgery, but I'd be happy to elaborate if you are looking for more detail.

I had originally intended to do a time-lapse video with a few different cuts of these. The frames I used here were picked out of much larger sets and were nowhere near each other really - they just happened to loop well enough.

Good to see you finally posting here, I love the hell out of that still.

Crazy Armed Pilot
Mar 6, 2007
You can land anywhere once.
This was an experiment at a composite shot consisting of four exposures of four minutes each at ISO 400. I combined the shots in PS using this guide. The foreground is generally uninteresting, but I hope to master the stars part for some of my summer adventures where I will have better foregrounds. Any comments? (I am not brave enough to wade into PAD yet).

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I'm not a huge fan of this shot. I've got to find a better angle to get the windmills. I'm at a point in the road where there's a large sign saying "No Photography or Video Beyond This Point!"

John Paul Jones Hill by torgeaux, on Flickr

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007
I am literally Bowbles IRL :(

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

torgeaux posted:

I'm at a point in the road where there's a large sign saying "No Photography or Video Beyond This Point!"

:ughh::wtc::cmon::dealwithit: It is time to grow some balls.

Also, stop down and wait to shoot on a night when there is no moon.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Evilkiksass posted:

:ughh::wtc::cmon::dealwithit: It is time to grow some balls.

Also, stop down and wait to shoot on a night when there is no moon.

The marines who watch that carry rifles with ammo. No thanks. Not to mention, barring me from the Island equals losing my job. Again, I'll just follow the rules.

Yeah. I need to plan that shot...but I want some ambient, also. Sunrise would be a good choice.

Marvin Meatbat
Mar 2, 2006
This space intentionally left blank
If I can do this with a simple 50mm, I can't wait to buy a nice telescope...

IMG_3513 by MRBWorth, on Flickr

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force
So apparently Friday night is going to be especially brilliant for the Lyrids meteor shower, as there is no moon that night. I had an inkling to get as far away from the light pollution of the Bay Area as I can and taking some shots.

I imagine most people in this thread shoot digital, but does anyone have any tips for shooting the night sky with B/W film? Except for taking reciprocity failure into account for the exposure, that is?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Koln at Night by hookshot88, on Flickr

Crazy Armed Pilot
Mar 6, 2007
You can land anywhere once.
30 seconds from the roof of my building.

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?
Not a terribly long exposure. Cropped 16mm, ISO 800, f4.0, 2s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
edit: nevermind, sorry!