Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
That's some American maskirovka right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Invalido posted:

They're big and and heavy and get poor mileage - though from what I've heard the biggest reason Sweden bought the Leopard rather than the Abrams was significantly better fuel economy. A major drawback of pistons over a turbine is that the diesel is ROARING LOUD, having almost 50 liters of displacement and no mufflers - you won't sneak up on anyone who's not entirely deaf.

They have the same gun and tracks as the Abrams, and apart from not having DU armor I think the biggest difference is the Leopard having ammunition stored in the very front of the chassis tub, right next to the driver. I have to believe this affects survivability negatively compared to the M1's all-turret storage.

The gun laying computer is very much a cold war relic, being entirely analog. It worked well enough, so the actual shooting part is easy, though I and many others would get motion sickness from riding in the gunner's seat. The gun is slaved to either the gunner's or the commander's gyro-stabilized sights, and is laid by massive DC motors trying to hold it where the sight tells it to be. For a hit at any real distance the gunner is tasked with giving the analog computer the range (measured with a laser) as well as any sideways movement of the target by pressing a button and following the target for a second or two. When the tank is moving it may be necessary to hold the trigger down for a little while before the shot goes off, since the gun is rarely in exactly the right place necessary for a hit.

Shooting the main gun is very undramatic. You experience a muted "whump" rather than a "boom" from inside the tank, and a slight motion from the recoil. For fun I stuck my head out the hatch once or twice - this was almost breathtaking!
Firing the machine guns sucked by comparison. MG3's are really, really loud and can smell quite bad when hot enough. The co-axial MG fed from a box with 2x500 round belts. We were told to swap barrels after 250 rounds max, but due to safety regulations this was such a chore we'd more often let loose all 500 and swapped out a faintly glowing barrel when reloading. On live fire days we'd spend hours waiting our turn at the range belting 7.62 until we got blisters, and additional, often very late hours cleaning all the nooks and crannies of incredibly dirty MG parts. Cleaning the main gun was very easy by comparison - you don't need to run many patches through a chrome-lined smooth-bore before it's clean, even if the patches are ridiculous amounts of paper towel and the cleaning rod itself assembles to several meters in length. Barrel wear happened fast - the chrome would start eroding at the bottom of the muzzle first and the exposed patch of steel grew with every shot. IIRC they'd swap barrels after only 200 rounds or something like that. "My" tank was brand new when i got it and fired no more than ~50 rounds, so I wouldn't know for sure.

Driving is easy enough (though doing it well from a tactical standpoint is hard), it feels much like driving a sluggish car with soft suspension and a weird steering wheel. The limited visibility is the biggest challenge, during darkness much more so since the night vision device gives you monochrome two-dimensional tunnel vision and the reverse camera couldn't see in the dark. We'd hit big trees, they'd go flying, sometimes breaking little sensitive bits of tank sticking out in the process.
The best way I know to really mess up a leopard is to ride fast over a large rock (usually hidden in deep snow) which will invariably bulge in the bottom plate of the chassis tub, leading to all kinds of problems and being really difficult to repair.
I once got the opportunity to drive a tank with turret problems quite a ways back to the garage, head out the hatch, on a twisting, compacted winter road and with no witnesses. Tanks drift around corners quite well, albeit slowly. I fondly recall this particular drive as one of those (few and far between) good experiences that made all the drudgery of army life seem a little more worthwhile :)

edit: tank drifting (not me!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5aWAW2hea4&feature=related
Drifting in a CV90 was one of the highest points of my conscription. :sweden:

Does anyone want to take the time to give a good run down of JAS Gripen?

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Smiling Jack posted:

Man, I am getting my rear end kicked in the Arctic War demo. My first indication of enemy activity is when I pick up incoming missiles.

Active radar don't pick up poo poo when I turn it on, wtf

How do you like that game?

Also, I just got Wargame: European Escalation. I hope its good.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Tatrakrad posted:

The game does a bad job of telling you how much altitude comes into play. Sneak fighters over to where bad dudes hang out, set altitude high and turn on active radar.
You have a decent chance of survival if you remember to turn them around before missiles do a manshoot/planedeath.

edit: finding subs isn't going to happen without sonobouys, and the AI will shoot down your big ol navy planes if they see em

You skipped the radar tutorial. I haven't tried the tutorial section of the NATO campaign, but Tutorial 4 has a nice section on going active and the effects of altitude.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Oxford Comma posted:

How do you like that game?

Also, I just got Wargame: European Escalation. I hope its good.

It's pretty good, it's a nice balance between an RTS and a proper wargame.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

mllaneza posted:

You skipped the radar tutorial. I haven't tried the tutorial section of the NATO campaign, but Tutorial 4 has a nice section on going active and the effects of altitude.

If we're going to talk about Cold War wargames, how has nobody mentioned Global Thermonuclear War, I mean DEFCON?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whh6D9F0o2c

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!

Phanatic posted:

If we're going to talk about Cold War wargames, how has nobody mentioned Global Thermonuclear War, I mean DEFCON?

That game was fun. Everyone was playing it for like a week, then it kinda died. :(

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
I just bought Arctic Circle, and I have to say that I am extremely disappointed. The game just seems no unfinished. Little ability to see range between units, an overly simplistic aircraft management system (that often results in my CAP firing something like 16 AMRAAMS at an Il-76, or crashing in the sea after running out of gas) and horrible lag/slowdown/crash issues. I actually can't get past mission 6 in the campaign because the game freezes every time I try to win the mission. I have an above average gaming desktop, and I certainly do not have problems with slowdown in games like Starcraft II, or Skyrim.

I also really, really wish there was a mission editor. The default missions generally aren't very fun.

Doesn't stop me from playing hours of it, though. Frustrating as it may be, the idea of a modern iteration of Harpoon turns me on too much for me to have the willpower to not play the (currently broken) game.

e: spelling

Heer98 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 13, 2012

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Phanatic posted:

There was a really tough but super realistic DOS-based (I think) precursor to this. It just dealt with strategic exchanges and was nigh unplayable. I forgot its name so does anyone know what I'm talking about? Would really like to have a crack at it again.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Koesj posted:

There was a really tough but super realistic DOS-based (I think) precursor to this. It just dealt with strategic exchanges and was nigh unplayable. I forgot its name so does anyone know what I'm talking about? Would really like to have a crack at it again.

There was one for the C64 from Avalon Hill called Nukewar which I pirated from somewhere and could never figure out how to play without a manual.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Just play Harpoon again. Game still owns.

I use missile boats toting Penguins to sink Russian ships all the time.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Snowdens Secret posted:

We're buying lots of the Littoral Combat Ships, but they're also mission creeped to all hell, not intended for blue-water ops, essentially unarmed, full of teething issues, and overall totally unsuited for traditional grey-hull roles.

The stupid cable news crawl at the gym informed me that "the Littoral combat ship was once filled with cost overruns and delays, but now stands poised to become a central part of the US Navy's strategy."

Given everything I've read about it, it sounds like the ultimate boondoggle ship, a floating F-35. And the Virgina class is turning into a poo poo parade too? Possibly the Canadian method of procurement has infected America somehow?

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Nebakenezzer posted:

The stupid cable news crawl at the gym informed me that "the Littoral combat ship was once filled with cost overruns and delays, but now stands poised to become a central part of the US Navy's strategy."

Given everything I've read about it, it sounds like the ultimate boondoggle ship, a floating F-35. And the Virgina class is turning into a poo poo parade too? Possibly the Canadian method of procurement has infected America somehow?
LCS is still a miserable cluster gently caress.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Phanatic posted:

There was one for the C64 from Avalon Hill called Nukewar which I pirated from somewhere and could never figure out how to play without a manual.

That isn't the one and I've been searching for an hour and still can't find it. drat you google.

Koesj fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 14, 2012

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Psion posted:

I use missile boats toting Penguins to sink Russian ships all the time.

I think you just came up with the next great cellphone game.

dogmaan
Sep 13, 2007
Are Jammers/ECM really this effective?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9-gPXmDXCM&feature=related
poor Su-27 or Mig can't see poo poo.

In the flight sims I have played like Lock-On and Falcon BMS, ECM never seems as effective as that (but then they are computer games).

Maybe his radar is just borked, or the Sorbtsya is a magic jammer.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Depending on the jammer and system being jammed, it can be just absurdly effective or basically useless.

dogmaan
Sep 13, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

Depending on the jammer and system being jammed, it can be just absurdly effective or basically useless.

The way I pictured "Jamming" in my head, from the perspective of the device being jammed, was as a line down the display on the same bearing as the jammer, not full on spaceballs jam down the screen, like that footage.

dogmaan fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 14, 2012

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

dogmaan posted:

The way I pictured "Jamming" in my head, from the perspective of the device being jammed, was as a line down the display on the same baring as the jammer, not full on spaceballs jam down the screen, like that footage.

"WE'VE BEEN JAMMED!"

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.

Koesj posted:

That isn't the one and I've been searching for an hour and still can't find it. drat you google.

http://www.hotud.org/component/content/article/44-war/19832

Bravo Romeo Delta.

It has horrible UI and is more of a simulation on ultimate grognard scale than any kind of game for entertainment.
still anyone who likes nuclear war owes it to themsevles to give it a spin, just for how well (to my untrained eye) it models the whole thing. i only even know what BMEWS is because of this game.

ive played it for enough hours to know. The. only. way. to. win. is. not. to. play.
30 warheads for a decap strike, has to be fast enough to get there before they get in the air with a counter. If you fail the war will ecalate in a few small exchanges before congress cuts loose or something and its all out end of the world.

It does get serious about nuclear war. Change air base alert status, fuel the missiles, go reactors hot on the subs, it gets that detailed. it even models different nuclear weapons and their respective uses, ie slbms for quick strikes at soft targets, icbms with mirv for hard targets usually c3, that can take a surprising number of nukes to destroy.

Favorite is the weather reports for places after you nuke them
Moscow is currently: firestorm.

RE:Boeing field wwII pics
I've spent a lot of time in the areas around that factory with the fake neighborhood on it. I can identify almost every large structure in that picture from the 40s that still stands. That bridge was just torn down 3 years ago. The factory with the houses is at least partially there.
The large brick square with a stack coming out in the north end of the first picture is the original Ranier Beer brewerey. It was also torn down about 3 years ago.
The white square at the left end of the field is the coal power plant. It still stands, has a huge 1916 built into the side in brick.
An AWACS flew over me as i drove to work today. It was a good day. :colbert:

Raw_Beef fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 14, 2012

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Aww yeah!

dogmaan posted:

Are Jammers/ECM really this effective?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9-gPXmDXCM&feature=related
poor Su-27 or Mig can't see poo poo.

In the flight sims I have played like Lock-On and Falcon BMS, ECM never seems as effective as that (but then they are computer games).

Maybe his radar is just borked, or the Sorbtsya is a magic jammer.

PREDEL'NYI UGOL ATAKI yeah thanks I know I'm pulling max AOA :colbert:

The only reason you see ECM effects in this video is because Russian fighter radars in particular have their readings projected on the heads up display. On another aircraft it'd be visible on an MFD or something somewhere in the cockpit.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

TsarZiedonis posted:

I just bought Arctic Circle, and I have to say that I am extremely disappointed.

Don't give up on it just yet. I'm cautiously optimistic even though I can only play for about 20 minutes before it starts freezing up.

Remember that it only came out a couple of days ago, was made by three or four people, and was published by Paradox (whose last game was singled out for special praise because it wasn't broken on release).

Judging from the posts by the developers on the Paradox forums they are working pretty desperately to fix the major issues, so hopefully it will be playable fairly soon. I think it has the potential to be a really great game.

edit: ok forget that last bit, apparently the dev team are taking the weekend off even though their just-released game doesn't work.

fuf fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Apr 14, 2012

Stroh M.D.
Mar 19, 2011

The eyes can mislead, a smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth.

TsarZiedonis posted:

I just bought Arctic Circle, and I have to say that I am extremely disappointed. The game just seems no unfinished. Little ability to see range between units, an overly simplistic aircraft management system (that often results in my CAP firing something like 16 AMRAAMS at an Il-76, or crashing in the sea after running out of gas) and horrible lag/slowdown/crash issues. I actually can't get past mission 6 in the campaign because the game freezes every time I try to win the mission. I have an above average gaming desktop, and I certainly do not have problems with slowdown in games like Starcraft II, or Skyrim.

I also really, really wish there was a mission editor. The default missions generally aren't very fun.

Doesn't stop me from playing hours of it, though. Frustrating as it may be, the idea of a modern iteration of Harpoon turns me on too much for me to have the willpower to not play the (currently broken) game.

e: spelling

I've been having a lot of fun with it although I agree, it's massively unstable right now. I can guarantee you that it has nothing to do with rigs. I've tried it on my brothers monster rig that can run BF3 on maxed without even flinching, and it still slows or freezes when too many missiles are in the air. But hey, it was only $20 and the development team looks like 12 guys in the credits so I'm willing to accept that.

The focus on the Scandinavian countries early on has been interesting too, not everyday you get to fend off a massive Russian air assault on Sweden with Gripens or sink the Russian Baltic fleet with Harpoons launched from an Absalon-class frigate.

And the Visby corvette is :black101: as gently caress. Wow, did they either not balance that 57 mm gun correctly or completely overestimate what it's capable of. It's insane! Incoming ASM? Boom. One shot, gone. 16 incoming ASMs? 16 booms, gone. T-50 hauling rear end with afterburner a km away perpendicular to the gun? Boom. Gone. Backfire bomber cruising by at 1200 m at the very edge of the gun's horizontal range? Boom, gone.

Not complaining (yet - I haven't gotten the the Russian campaign yet) since I love that little boat in general, but come on - it makes you wonder why the US Navy in that universe didn't simply strip its AEGIS cruisers of SM-2 and replace them with Bofors 57 mm guns. It certainly seems to work better.

They released a patch just yesterday or so that included some balancing and game play tweaks, but not to the Visby, no sir. It's apparently supposed to be the naval equivalent of the death star for anything airborne.

Stroh M.D. fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 14, 2012

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Oh jesus gently caress. If that's a Paradox release you guys seriously just need to put it down for at least a year. I've been burned by them more times than I care to mention, and they have a REAL flair for putting out games that are unplayably unstable on even top-end systems.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh jesus gently caress. If that's a Paradox release you guys seriously just need to put it down for at least a year. I've been burned by them more times than I care to mention, and they have a REAL flair for putting out games that are unplayably unstable on even top-end systems.

I hate to break it to you, man, but all your historical work has skewed your perspective. Punch-cards and magnetic tape doesn't qualify as top-end anymore.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

McNally posted:

I hate to break it to you, man, but all your historical work has skewed your perspective. Punch-cards and magnetic tape doesn't qualify as top-end anymore.
The bigger the better man!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
That setup looks like it could handle a global thermonuclear war pretty well!

Don't break my fun by telling me it does payroll or bean supply management.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I wonder if the brass by the printer knows what he's reading or is just trying to look important for the photo op.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

s0nar posted:

I wonder if the brass by the printer knows what he's reading or is just trying to look important for the photo op.

ASCII porn. :colbert:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

s0nar posted:

"Yep, that's some quality blank paper. Military grade blank paper, one could say. Even got those little holes down the side; wonder if I could take some home, the kids love ripping those little holey strips off."

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

s0nar posted:

His expression says, "Heh, computer. What does it know? I could make better decisions than this thing."

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

atomicthumbs posted:

His expression says, "Heh, computer. What does it know? I could make better decisions than this thing."

"It's fast, but has it ever shot a German soldier in the face?"

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
Every person in the picture is doing something that looks strange and not useful.
I'm curious if they had a full alphabet of tape cabinets.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Smiling Jack posted:

Man, I am getting my rear end kicked in the Arctic War demo. My first indication of enemy activity is when I pick up incoming missiles.

Active radar don't pick up poo poo when I turn it on, wtf

I played the poo poo out of Harpoon back in the day, will this game spark fond memories or make me angry?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Not sure yet.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

davecrazy posted:

I played the poo poo out of Harpoon back in the day, will this game spark fond memories or make me angry?

If you remember to put your recon assets at their maximum altitude before they go active you'll have fun. If you play it like Smiling Jack, not so much. Personally, I'm getting tired of losing campaign scenarios due to aircraft losses while the missiles that will win me the game are in the air. On the plus side, solving tactical puzzles in the small, early campaign scenarios is a good, but brutal, teacher of aerial tactics in this game.

So far the key seems to be getting pairs of fighters up in position to interdict anything the other guys launch towards the key areas of the battle (the ones with victory conditions in them) and doing the long range missile dance until you win it or restart the scenario. Next time I play Russians I'm rearming everything for long rang air superiority because the AMRAAM has a big fuckoff range and F-35s carry 8 of the drat things. It'll take a while, but being able to engage F-35s at something like the same range they can shoot you will work wonders.

Of course, if you're playing NATO just go kill the Red fighters immediately. See my note above about using recon assets at maximum altitude.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Happy, and then the game freezes before your masterfully timed swarms of harpoons hits a Kirov class from three directions.

e: It would be nice if you could change load-outs before the scenario began. But, then again, that might make the game to easy.

Heer98 fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 15, 2012

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

mllaneza posted:

If you remember to put your recon assets at their maximum altitude before they go active you'll have fun. If you play it like Smiling Jack, not so much.

I am putting them at their max attitude. Almost as if I played the tutorial, which is part of the campaign.

Their detection of enemy assets is very inconsistent, I'll pick up missiles launched by aircraft at the moment of launch but not the aircraft itself. poo poo like that.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

mllaneza posted:

F-35s carry 8 of the drat things

:lol: what

I'm going to find it hard to take a game seriously that has F-35s with 8xAIM-120s...unless we're talking external carriage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Probably, because lol if you think LO is worth carrying 2 Sidewinders and 2 AMRAAMs on a plane with no gun.