Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
There aren't enough dragons to go around for all the secret targs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
gently caress wrong thread

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 14, 2012

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Intel&Sebastian posted:

gently caress wrong thread

Did you post spoilers dressed up as speculation?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Intel&Sebastian is a secret Dolash.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ross posted:

The book wasn't actually released until July of last year (I know it was in the summer sometime), I think that was just the date he finished the last draft or something.

Well, that would explain the remarkably sloppy copyedit.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I posted about how excited I am that the UFC is back after such a long break. Something this thread won't be able to say for another 6 years.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

If I had to invoke trial by combat, I'd probably pick GSP as my proxy.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Maybe we will get an Ice & Fire Update sometime this year.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Ross posted:

Maybe we will get an Ice & Fire Update sometime this year.

Well gurm has read a few chapters of winds of winter, if he likes money as much as anyone then he has a good incentive as any with the tv show.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

El Hefe posted:

Well gurm has read a few chapters of winds of winter, if he likes money as much as anyone then he has a good incentive as any with the tv show.

I have no hope for an entire book in my hands this year, I'd just like him to post about it on his website.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Ross posted:

I have no hope for an entire book in my hands this year, I'd just like him to post about it on his website.

We will never get another entire book. We will get sporadic appearances of his reading a chapter of material here and there.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

If I had to invoke trial by combat, I'd probably pick GSP as my proxy.

You'd be sitting around for days waiting for him to kill the guy

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."
Well, it could be that GRRM is hearing the clock ticking (you can't look like that man and look into the mirror and think "I got many good years ahead of me.") and is actually hurrying up with the books. Probably not a good thing, since who wants the last two books to be rushed, but on the other hand, "rushed" is a broad term here. Or maybe working on the show rekindled his love for the series? I'm trying to be optimistic about this, for once.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
For the next one I hope he can strike the fine line between "rushing it out" and "taking six years".

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Ross posted:

For the next one I hope he can strike the fine line between "rushing it out" and "taking six years".

Funny how he managed both for ADWD.

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 14, 2012

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

You'd be sitting around for days waiting for him to kill the guy

Yeah, I know gently caress-all about UFC, sorry. I just picked the only dude I know who isn't Ken Shamrock.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Urdnot Fire posted:

Funny how be managed both for ADWD.

And neither for the first three!

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

crazypeltast52 posted:

And neither for the first three!

Truly we are talking about a man of many talents here folks.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Fog Tripper posted:

We will never get another entire book. We will get sporadic appearances of his reading a chapter of material here and there.

A Dance with Dragons: Episode 2

The more I think about it, the more similar Gabe Newell and GRRM seem to be. (Except that Gabe Newell has actually released GOOD things besides his main franchise in the last decade).

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Fog Tripper posted:

I could see exactly one more, but it manages to move the plot even less than ADWD.

Honestly, at the end of the day, Arya, the Hound and Bronn had thorough and completed character arcs. I don't know if I still give enough of a poo poo about any of the other characters to care whether or not the plot moves forward for them. I really like Jamie, but do I really need to know what he does next? Well...probably not, sad to admit.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I could see exactly one more, but it manages to move the plot even less than ADWD.

Honestly, at the end of the day, Arya, the Hound and Bronn had thorough and completed character arcs. I don't know if I still give enough of a poo poo about any of the other characters to care whether or not the plot moves forward for them. I really like Jamie, but do I really need to know what he does next? Well...probably not, sad to admit.

B-but will Jamie ever learn to sword fight with his other hand? :ohdear:

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

empty sea posted:

*clack clack clack*

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Greatbacon posted:

Truly we are talking about a man of many talents here folks.

Indeed, none may stand against the Mountain who Does and Does not Write!

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
I said it before and I'll say it again over the next twelve years- I bet he's completed the series over the past seven years, which is why he gave the go ahead to HBO, and he'll release the last book the year before the HBO series is due to end.

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I don't know if I still give enough of a poo poo about any of the other characters to care whether or not the plot moves forward for them.

I'd like to see Arya's complete a little more, and hopefully we've seen the end of Jon's, but yeah I feel that way too.

Although it'd be kinda nice to see this series be entirely about the eradication of the Stark family with no resolution concerning the Others.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

empty sea posted:

I think Jamie should install a spring behind his golden hand. That way when he goes in a fight he can release the spring and deliver a long-distance punch to his enemy's face before closing in and finishing him off with his off hand.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Maytag posted:

I said it before and I'll say it again over the next twelve years- I bet he's completed the series over the past seven years, which is why he gave the go ahead to HBO, and he'll release the last book the year before the HBO series is due to end.

Nah he gave the go ahead to HBO because he knows he's old and going to die and he wanted to get that paper before it happened.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Maytag posted:

I've never heard that theory before. It would be incredibly improbable...I can't help but hope you're right. Though as a lifelong Dune fan, I have already reached maximum "hosed over by a series" and am immune to most ill effects this series has caused others.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Maytag posted:

Although it'd be kinda nice to see this series be entirely about the eradication of the Stark family with no resolution concerning the Others.

We are arguably past the midpoint of the series (in theory), and the Others have not even become a legitimate threat yet. Resolution? Of what?

I have a feeling that Winter is Coming... long after the books are done.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Fog Tripper posted:

We are arguably past the midpoint of the series (in theory), and the Others have not even become a legitimate threat yet. Resolution? Of what?

I have a feeling that Winter is Coming... long after the books are done.

Yeah, by the fifth book the North (at least) should have their backs up against the wall with the Others. Instead we have Jon still moving dudes around like a very tedious game of Risk that's still going on at 3 in the morning.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Factor_VIII posted:

I think Jamie should install a spring behind his golden hand. That way when he goes in a fight he can release the spring and deliver a long-distance punch to his enemy's face before closing in and finishing him off with his off hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-kxuy0CTyk

Jaime GO!

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Fog Tripper posted:

I wish they were sporadic, Gurm hasn't stopped traveling for his appearances for more than a week in the past year.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

savinhill posted:

I wish they were sporadic, Gurm hasn't stopped traveling for his appearances for more than a week in the past year.

He's basically Tyrion in ADWD, then. And yet no closer to meeting Dany finishing TWOW.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-kxuy0CTyk

Jaime GO!

I was going to say this sounded like something that would happen in some anime, but you went ahead and proved it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I wonder how he's going to avoid writing two books' worth of "Everybody in the Six Kingdoms* starves to death, because it's a long winter, the autumn crops were trampled, and the food stores were destroyed by constant warfare."

* Dorne doesn't seem to worry about seasons.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
I seriously think that was his plan all along, that the whole series was to be the shocker decapitation of the apparent Fantasy Protagonist writ large, but he got too involved in his world and regrets setting it up, and doesn't want to finish it. He doesn't want to kill all of his imaginary people with an endless winter.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I wonder how he's going to avoid writing two books' worth of "Everybody in the Six Kingdoms* starves to death, because it's a long winter, the autumn crops were trampled, and the food stores were destroyed by constant warfare."

* Dorne doesn't seem to worry about seasons.

The only person who really seemed to give a drat about Winter coming was Ned. And Ned's dead, baby. So, what winter? I'm stocking up on flip-flops.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Ambiguatron posted:

I seriously think that was his plan all along, that the whole series was to be the shocker decapitation of the apparent Fantasy Protagonist writ large, but he got too involved in his world and regrets setting it up, and doesn't want to finish it. He doesn't want to kill all of his imaginary people with an endless winter.

That doesn't necessarily has to happen, Dany can still come and save the day with her dragons and burn every Other if GRRM wants a happy ending.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

El Hefe posted:

That doesn't necessarily has to happen, Dany can still come and save the day with her dragons and burn every Other if GRRM wants a happy ending.

You assume that Dany will eventually make it over to Westeros.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
I hope that sample chapter that's supposed to be in the back of the ADWD paperback has a cliffhanger Dany death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
I've already accepted that if an ending does ever come out it's going to be like lost. Ned is going to wake up under a God tree the day before he leaves to be the Hand at Kings Landing.