Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The "casual walk" in Chongqing has the banners of "We want to eat!" and "Give back our Wang Seng district".

It's probably a totally unrelated protect held at a very unfortunately timed moment.

There are too many fake news, I can't tell if it's true.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

french lies
Apr 16, 2008
It is an unrelated protest, apparently over the merging of the Wansheng and Qijiang districts in Chongqing. But my guess is current tensions are likely feeding into it as well.

Wansheng district, Qijiang district, and the protesters' slogan "We want to eat" (我们要吃饭) have all been blocked on Weibo, suggesting it is true.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

I saw "we want to eat" written on banners at a (much smaller) protest in Wuhan last fall. Oh and "the subway is a monster." Nice slogans.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I feel bad for Wan LiJun. He went to the US consulate and spilled his guts about god knows what and then was kicked out into the waiting arms of the Chinese police. We didn't (and obviously couldn't) offer him asylum.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Vladimir Putin posted:

I feel bad for Wan LiJun. He went to the US consulate and spilled his guts about god knows what and then was kicked out into the waiting arms of the Chinese police. We didn't (and obviously couldn't) offer him asylum.

Don't feel too bad, many accounts seem to indicate that he was a brutally effective, but quite corrupt cop while serving in Liaoning, and he was instrumental in the Chongqing anti-gang campaign which in its heavy-handedness allegedly subjected many innocent businessmen and officials to torture and unlawful imprisonment. He was part of a brutal system until very recently, but seems to have been caught in the meat-grinder when people at the very top of the government attempted to oust his erstwhile boss.

I can't really be bothered to go through four years worth of Chinese news coverage to confirm this, but it's been said on the Chinese internet that neither Hu Jintao nor Wen Jiabao has visited Chongqing during Bo's four-year tenure as the city's party boss, and that the appointment to that position itself was meant to exile Bo from national politics.

french lies
Apr 16, 2008
Edit: Nevermind.

french lies fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Apr 12, 2012

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Honestly at this point I'm super glad this whole leadership kerfluffle happened just because it's gotten me reading a whole bunch of stuff I never would have looked at before and it's fascinating. Who knew Wen Jiabao's mentor was Bo Xilai's father's enemy in the Cultural Revolution? Not me.

From what I've been reading the hereditary entrenchment of party power is a lot scarier than I previously thought.

Stim0r
Nov 24, 2011

Shageletic posted:

Check out this article: The Revenge of Wen Jiabo

This is hard core helter skelter political knife fighting that could only happen in a totalitarian state. It's freaking fascinating.

Excellent article, thanks.

Ever wonder how the entire Bo incident relates to you personally? Well, one of my favorite bloggers did just that,
provided you are in business in chinia.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ok I am going to try to translate this news item. Personally I believe it. These are all old news and the names checked out. I am actually more upset by these old news than the more currents rumors. It shows how deep the rabbit hole goes.

1587613_1334166679

quote:

Xinhua reported yesterday, former Chongqing chief Bo Xilai has violated various laws and is being invested. His wife Bo-Gu Kailai and family staff Zhang Xiaojun were invloved in the murder of British businessman Neil Heywood. And they are being investigated.

Ten or so years ago, former Hong Kong newspaper Wen Hui Po Northwest regional reporter Jiang Weiping often used pseudo name wrote articles on Hong Kong "Frontline" magazine and revealed the corruption of the Communist Party. He touched Bo family's issues. In 2000, Jiang was arrested by Dalian police, and was convinted for the crime of "revealation of national secrets" the next year. He was released from prison in 2006 and migrated to Canada as refugee in 2009.

Voice of America reported, Jiang gave an interview last night and stated, he was "not surprised by the fallout of the Bo family at all." He pointed out, ever since the Bos moved to Dalian and now in Chongqing, "there are two concurrent issues, one is the issue of corruption; the other is the issue of disregard of the rule of laws."

He said, when Bo Xilai came to Dalian, Gu Kailai opened her law firm and used it as a front to collect bribes. When Bo was at the peak of his power in Dalian, Gu Kailai's law firm had hands on almost all of Dalian's major city projects. "Her law firm's profit was over 10 million RMB every year."

Jiang stated, The Bos' intelligent crimes were "major scams". Gu has moved alot of wealth oversea since 1998. She sent her kid to study oversea too. "he [Bo] believes, even though he is corrupted, the central committee won't do anything to him. This is a systematic problem; He is dirty, but so are others, so he doesn't care."

Jiang stated, Bo and Gu "these two people have no concept of rule of laws, killing a man is like killing an ant to them, Chinese or foreigner doesn't matter they are no human to them."

He pointed out, they are completely disregard other people's lives. When Heywood's existence threatened Bo's political career, "he must have lost it." Jiang believed the Heywood case fits Bo and Gu's train of thought very well.

Jiang also show another example. Around 1998, Dalian television had a beautiful host, Zhang weijie. It was rumored that she had an affair with Bo. Many people knew about it.

He said Gu at the time "forced Bo to make this woman disappear overnight". And Zhang later disappeared. He had never heard of this woman ever again.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 13, 2012

zero alpha
Feb 18, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

whatever7 posted:

The "casual walk" in Chongqing has the banners of "We want to eat!" and "Give back our Wang Seng district".

So is this the beginnings of an Occupy China, or something?

zero alpha fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 13, 2012

Ronald Spiers
Oct 25, 2003
Soldier

zero alpha posted:

Haha, no. That is silly.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

zero alpha posted:

No, they just pissy about some districting changes and now that bobo is finito, it's safe to come out and bitch about it.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

zero alpha posted:

I hear they had an Occupy Beijing movement once. It didn't turn out well.

(I had such a hard time repressing the urge to say that last time I was in China when someone mentioned he'd seen the Occupy protests on TV)

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How big is social unrest against the government in China? I've seen many news stories of massive protests at various factories across the country, but I also hear about major political apathy amongst most civilians. How much of a grip does the government have?

Stim0r
Nov 24, 2011

Donraj posted:

I hear they had an Occupy Beijing movement once. It didn't turn out well.

(I had such a hard time repressing the urge to say that last time I was in China when someone mentioned he'd seen the Occupy protests on TV)

I thought that was about Occupying Beijing's Toilets.

Ronald Spiers
Oct 25, 2003
Soldier

Ervin K posted:

How big is social unrest against the government in China? I've seen many news stories of massive protests at various factories across the country, but I also hear about major political apathy amongst most civilians. How much of a grip does the government have?

Are these factories privately owned or government owned? And if they are government owned is it local government or the national government?

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Ervin K posted:

That's kind of a big question. Beijing likes to use the lack of a unified anti-government movement as proof that Chinese are extremely happy with the way things are going, but given how much time, money, and effort they have to use to prevent anything like that from coalescing, that doesn't really seem like valid evidence. People are also very much aware that the cost of dissidence is really high, and there are (fairly successful) mechanisms in place to keep people angry at local politicians instead of the national-level structures that are responsible for the way the game is played in China. "But you see it's those bad guys at the local level" doesn't really make much sense as an excuse when Beijing reserves ultimate power for itself only. CCP apologists still try it, with one hilarious example recently being claims that Chen Guangcheng is a victim of local politics that Beijing couldn't possibly do anything about.

Apathy is certainly a real thing, although talking to a ton of random young people in China started to disabuse me of that- for anyone who truly didn't seem to care about politics, there were others who did want some kind of change but just didn't have any kind of forum for discussion or avenue for action. I guess it's just really hard to tell in an authoritarian country that goes to such great lengths to manufacture political consent and inaction.

Even in the major factory protests you referred to, or things like the Wukan Uprising last year, people tend to appeal to the Communist Party to set things straight- although how much of that is from a genuine belief that the emperors in Beijing are really unaware of their plight and how much is from an understanding that you have to phrase your request that way if you want to make it out of a protest alive is a mystery, I think. Certainly netizens seem to be increasingly aware that Beijing knows and either doesn't give a gently caress or actively approves and supports local governments, but whether that correlates with a change in the rest of the population is a question whose answer I don't know.

Stim0r
Nov 24, 2011
My PRC friends here in Singapore really do give me the impression that they sincerely like the central government, and lay blame on bad things on China on the local governments. So it does seem to be working.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Are there any reliable information about China's unemployment and economically inactive rates?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I happened to ask a Chinese friend a few days ago and he said the official unemployment rate is 0.5%. Then we laughed.

french lies
Apr 16, 2008
Just finished reading this excellent essay/book review by Fang Lizhi, the famous dissident who died earlier this week. I have to confess I don't know all that much about him, but reading this has sparked my interest.

The book he reviews is the recent Deng Xiaoping biography by Ezra Vogel. He tears both him and the book a new one in the most elegant, understated way possible. It's a fascinating deconstruction of the narrative that the CCP promotes and Western observers like Vogel and Martin Jacques are unwittingly propagating. I especially found his final two paragraphs quite poignant:

quote:

A virtue of Vogel’s book is that it collects and organizes a huge amount of material on the struggles within the elite power circles in China over several decades. In these accounts we learn how Deng tried to protect his allies and how he sought to undermine his enemies; he fell, rose, fell again, then rose again to the pinnacle position in the second generation of the Communist dynasty. Vogel’s materials will be very useful to students of elite power struggles in China.

Yet all these stories only make it clear, over and over, how the top leaders in the Communist system are selected through processes of competition among elite interest groups and have little to do with Chinese people who are outside those circles. It should not surprise us, therefore, that the leaders who rise to the top are focused intensely on the political and economic interests of the power elite. We cannot expect that leaders selected in this way will feel concern for ordinary people, or for what is best for China as a whole.
I can't recommend this enough, it really put Deng and this book in a whole new light for me. Come to think of it, I probably should take it off the reading list altogether.

Fiendish_Ghoul
Jul 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 147 days!
So, Bo Guagua has surfaced and might get political asylum in the US?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-officials.html

Not sure why we would give him asylum as he is almost undoubtedly complicit in corruption. I don't suppose he would be likely to get a fair trial in China though.

Ronald Spiers
Oct 25, 2003
Soldier

Fiendish_Ghoul posted:

Not sure why we would give him asylum as he is almost undoubtedly complicit in corruption. I don't suppose he would be likely to get a fair trial in China though.

Ugh, I would definitely oppose giving asylum to Guagua. According Guagua's mother, Gu Kailai, everyone gets a fair trial in China. 'She said (in her book titled Winning a Lawsuit in the U.S., China’s system was straightforward and judicious. “We don’t play with words and we adhere to the principle of ‘based on facts,’ ” she wrote. “You will be arrested, sentenced and executed as long as we determine that you killed someone.”' Guagua is complicit with crimes against the people, he must be punished. If he doesn't face justice, surely he will be a future threat to China, his whole family are vindictive assholes after all.

Fiendish_Ghoul
Jul 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 147 days!
You forgot her real money quote: her contemptuous dismissal of the idea that in America, a man can be charged with raping his wife.

Oh, and would you mind breaking down for me which if any parts of your post are sarcastic? Because I'm having a hard time telling.

Fiendish_Ghoul fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 15, 2012

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Ervin K posted:

If you are in a first or second tier city or talking to one of its residents (which most westerner interaction with China is going to be) then Social unrest is very limited as is political participation. Because life for them is very good (pretty much on par with western standards for many) and some of them either believe the line that China's political process is needed for China (the Suzhi thing) or because they don't really think anything can be changed anyway.

Of course, protests and such occurs mostly in the rural areas, people there -might- be less political apathetic simply because they are getting screwed more by the local government on a daily basis.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Fiendish_Ghoul posted:

It's probably worth some US political points to oppose the CCP though.

Ronald Spiers
Oct 25, 2003
Soldier

Fangz posted:

It's probably worth some US political points to oppose the CCP though.

I don't see how giving asylum to a Communist princeling will give anyone points.

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

stat rosa pristina nomine
nomina nuda tenemus

Typo posted:

If you are in a first or second tier city or talking to one of its residents (which most westerner interaction with China is going to be) then Social unrest is very limited as is political participation. Because life for them is very good (pretty much on par with western standards for many) and some of them either believe the line that China's political process is needed for China (the Suzhi thing) or because they don't really think anything can be changed anyway.

Of course, protests and such occurs mostly in the rural areas, people there -might- be less political apathetic simply because they are getting screwed more by the local government on a daily basis.

Also, party membership is relatively high (more teachers and other employees who need political approval) and the state and party apparatuses can be less tightly tied together in large cities.

In a small town, there's one school, three roads, etc etc -- all closely tied to the local party boss and mayor, and their three best friends. If you live in, I dunno, Wenzhou or something, the government's services and structure are a little more neutral, complex, widespread, and less closely tied to specific party leaders.

I don't think it's fair to dismiss city residents as somehow more lazy, misinformed, pampered, or whatever. Their context makes personal contact with highly disruptive and malicious political corruption less likely. But on the other side, they're actually more likely to have the media exposure and education to make in-party critiques and bring perspective to a desire for change, even though they are much less likely to participate in direct social unrest.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
Forums seem to be blocked in my area (Henan) now, bet you it's the fault of this very thread! I'd suggest everyone get goagent if you haven't already got a VPN or something.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Typo posted:

That's not a fair statement. First and 2nd tier cities residents faces much higher real estate pressure.

The real estate cost has raised as much as 50% in the last 5 years.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Ronald Spiers posted:

I don't see how giving asylum to a Communist princeling will give anyone points.

The Chinese want him back, and that's enough. That it's opposing the Chinese would be the important thing. The individual can easily be painted as a heroic dissident or a political victim as needed - if not by the admin, then by his opponents looking for ammunition for claiming Obama is 'soft on China'. Who would be expected to look into the details?

Stim0r
Nov 24, 2011

Ronald Spiers posted:

Can US intelligence get any info out of granting our dear princeling asylum? If so, then I can see it going through. If not, I see a media frenzy about it if it goes through.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

french lies posted:

Just finished reading this excellent essay/book review by Fang Lizhi, the famous dissident who died earlier this week. I have to confess I don't know all that much about him, but reading this has sparked my interest.

The book he reviews is the recent Deng Xiaoping biography by Ezra Vogel. He tears both him and the book a new one in the most elegant, understated way possible. It's a fascinating deconstruction of the narrative that the CCP promotes and Western observers like Vogel and Martin Jacques are unwittingly propagating. I especially found his final two paragraphs quite poignant:

I can't recommend this enough, it really put Deng and this book in a whole new light for me. Come to think of it, I probably should take it off the reading list altogether.

I didn't found that as convincing as you. I haven't yet finished the book but about 80% through and I've found that while it does have a top-heavy focus, it's to be expected - it's ultimately more a biography focused on the 60s-90s rather than a book about socio-political change in China. Some of Fang's comments also seem a little odd, eg:

Fang Lizhi posted:

The military. Vogel has a chapter called “The Military: Preparing for Modernization,” but “modernization” here refers only to matters of arms and efficiency, not to such matters as civilian control of what the military does. It is not widely appreciated outside China that the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) is not a national army; it is a Party army. The taxes that support it are paid by all of the Chinese people, but the PLA takes orders only from the Central Military Commission (CMC), which is a Party organ. When push comes to shove, as it did at Tiananmen in 1989, the PLA defends Party interests, not national interests. Deng Xiaoping was never president of China, but was chair of the CMC throughout the crucial decade of the 1980s (1981–1989). He well knew that the top military post was the most powerful in China.

Vogel writes a fair amount about the party machinations at the head of the CMC and Deng and the party's control over the CMC. The book did not lead me to believe that these were independent structures and Vogel mentions more than once that for Deng the party was paramount.

I've found Vogel to be hagiographic in some respect, but it's been a valuable read. Conversely, Fang's views have clearly been coloured by personal experience and the review seems more a chance to proselytise his dislike of Deng.

Ronald Spiers
Oct 25, 2003
Soldier

Fangz posted:

The Chinese want him back, and that's enough. That it's opposing the Chinese would be the important thing. The individual can easily be painted as a heroic dissident or a political victim as needed - if not by the admin, then by his opponents looking for ammunition for claiming Obama is 'soft on China'. Who would be expected to look into the details?

Wow, what an amazingly short-sighted thing to do. There is no way to paint him as a heroic dissident or political victim. Everyone knows he is a playboy who relied on his parents black and soiled money. If anything, he would be a potential threat to the US if he is of anything like his vindictive parents, especially if he is like his Maoist father. None of his classmates mention he had pro-reform and pro-democracy dispositions, in fact his classmates describe him at best a Chinese patriot, at worst a nationalist. It is a known fact before the whole scandal broke-out, he wanted to eventually go back to China and follow in his father's footsteps or make a billion dollars and be an influential player in Chinese governance.

He must face the justice of People's Republic!

Stim0r posted:

Can US intelligence get any info out of granting our dear princeling asylum? If so, then I can see it going through. If not, I see a media frenzy about it if it goes through.

I bet Guagua has absolutely no useful intelligence in regards to national security. As stated previously, all he was was a playboy college student. The US government even refused Wang Lijun, former chief of police of Chongqing.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Interesting article on corruption in the Chinese military. It seems heavily based on private statements by a Gen. Liu Yuan though and I have no idea how accurate a source he is, but it seems probable.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2012/04/16/rotting_from_within

edit:

quote:

The US government even refused Wang Lijun, former chief of police of Chongqing.

That's almost assuredly because he walked into a consulate in the middle of China. It would have been essentially impossible to accept him.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 17, 2012

Ronald Spiers
Oct 25, 2003
Soldier

Xandu posted:

That's almost assuredly because he walked into a consulate in the middle of China. It would have been essentially impossible to accept him.

Tell that to Fang Lizhi!

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

whatever7 posted:

That's not a fair statement. First and 2nd tier cities residents faces much higher real estate pressure.

The real estate cost has raised as much as 50% in the last 5 years.
The real estate thing is something which mostly concerns the younger generation, and plus, I don't see it being blamed on the government but rather on "China has too much people".

french lies
Apr 16, 2008

Hong XiuQuan posted:

I didn't found that as convincing as you. I haven't yet finished the book but about 80% through and I've found that while it does have a top-heavy focus, it's to be expected - it's ultimately more a biography focused on the 60s-90s rather than a book about socio-political change in China.
I think Fang's aware of that as well, he's just making the (very valid) point that as fascinating as these elite power struggles are, the leaders they produce aren't of the kind that's likely to serve the people or the country well.

As for the bit about the CMC, I'm too far removed from the material to really comment, but I do think you're right about Fang having an axe to grind with Deng and that he uses the book as a stepping stone to do that. Even if he messes up some of the details, wouldn't you say that the larger point he's making, i.e that Deng isn't necessarily someone worth admiring, has some truth to it?

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Xandu posted:

I seriously doubt he tried for asylum. It seems more of a ploy to force the issue on the central government and escape from Bo's influence in the short term. He wanted to keep his travel low-profile and driving to Chengdu is quick and easy. Hopping on a flight to Beijing? Not so much. If he actually did anything in the consulate, it was probably more of a dox dropping to force the central government to go after Bo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

I seriously doubt he tried for asylum. It seems more of a ploy to force the issue on the central government and escape from Bo's influence in the short term. He wanted to keep his travel low-profile and driving to Chengdu is quick and easy. Hopping on a flight to Beijing? Not so much. If he actually did anything in the consulate, it was probably more of a dox dropping to force the central government to go after Bo.

I think this is more plausible, the woman who writes at insideoutchina said he was basically trying to get Beijing's ear as quickly as possible and figured the consulate could relay his message safely. She also said that Bo's police and Beijing police had a scuffle when Wang eventually left the consulate, with Bo's guys trying to prevent him from going with the Boys from Beijing.

quote:

Wang then walked into a melee between two forces waiting outside: Seventy police wagons sent by Bo Xilai, and agents of State Security sent from Beijing. The two parties scuffled and argued about who would take Wang Lijun into custody. In the end, Wang's plan worked: he was escorted to Beijing instead of Chongqing.
although she previously says "Below is what I heard while in China. Keep in mind part of this is informed speculation, so take it with a grain of salt."