Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I can't figure out who's more of a douchebag in that video, the "teacher" or the "students".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detroit117
Mar 28, 2012

Wings Of Steel

nsaP posted:

Was it a 600 and a 1000?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx4F94DnATY#t=67s

600cc + 750cc + 1000cc = 2.35L :black101: Yut ughhh!

For comparison, the video I always direct people to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HKpXBHIXkk

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Z3n posted:

Behold the majesty that is the R Bike.

http://www.erikbrinkman.com/Panther/Videos.html

haha, oh Jesus. I've been following this dork's internet antics since like '05. The stupid bike has been "about to enter production" since at least '08.

I think my favorite part is where a pushrod 1000cc Single makes 100 HP. That, and the fact that there's clearly never been an actual prototype built, but it's got "specs" and a "user's manual".

Chopsy fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Apr 12, 2012

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I was chatting with a florida good old boy last night, and it came up that I had broken my leg on a motorbike.

:smug: Was it a real motorcycle or a little crotch rocket?

I didn't want to explain the concept of dual sports to him, so I just blew his mind by "dirtbike." He went on to tell me about how he had broken his leg in the same place so many times. I wanted to ask him if he had every heard about boots, but discretion became the better part of valor.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

I was chatting with a florida good old boy last night, I wanted to ask him if he had every heard about boots, but discretion became the better part of valor.
How much bigger than you was he?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

kenny powerzzz posted:

How much bigger than you was he?

Not a lot, but he was one of those older guys who looked like he had seen a fight or two in his day. He was also providing the beer for the evening, and I figured it best to keep him happy.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Safety Dance posted:

Not a lot, but he was one of those older guys who looked like he had seen a fight or two in his day. He was also providing the beer for the evening, and I figured it best to keep him happy.

You made the right decision. Free beer > being right.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

orthod0ks posted:

You made the right decision. Free beer > being right.

Pretty sure every man has made this decision multiple times in his life.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Used car dealers posting bikes always equals fun:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ctd/2941620196.html

Ready for anything! Ultra clean! $$$$$ I knew that would get your attention! Now that I have it, let me tell you a little bit about this gorgeous-looking and fun 2001 Suzuki SV650. A do everything motorcycle. This is a very trustworthy mode of transportation. It is extremely roomy and versatile, one of the safest motorcycles on the road, and has magnificent visibility.

opengl fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 15, 2012

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

opengl128 posted:

It is extremely roomy and versatile, one of the safest motorcycles on the road, and has magnificent visibility.

I seriously can't see it. Is it the sidecar equipped BMW to the right in the first picture?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Ahaha that's gold. I wonder what part exactly he thinks is roomy.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The headroom, duh.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
I love when lovely used car dealers advertise motorcycles and don't bother to chagne their ads to being, y'know, relevant to motorcycles.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

I wonder why he thinks a bunch of cash signs were supposed to get attention. Like no guy, cash is what gives YOU a chubby, I'm trying to get this bike for LESS money. The more money involved in this transaction the less I want to take part in it.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

I wonder why he thinks a bunch of cash signs were supposed to get attention. Like no guy, cash is what gives YOU a chubby, I'm trying to get this bike for LESS money. The more money involved in this transaction the less I want to take part in it.
This, and for all the $$$$$ I couldn't find how much actual cash they wanted for this roomy, safe machine.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I'm surprised it wasn't used for "Ga$ $aver!"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Two Thou$and One $V$ixFifty L@@K A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ WOULD $ELL AGAIN

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
My co-worker has a heavily modified HD (I don't know the model) with custom saddle bags, expensive pipes, lots of motor work, etc. He just got it back from the shop after paying $5,000 for some work that included pipes, suspension and some other small things.

Thread contribution: "Steve (co-worker) had to :clint: lay her down going 40-45 mph today because someone turned left in front of him"

He was wearing a skid lid (at least it had padding), gloves, jeans, and a long sleeve shirt. The story was that someone turned left at a yellow in front of him and he "had to :clint: lay her down." I'm not really sure of the details but it sounded VERY avoidable. He was only going 45 mph so it wasn't that bad. Most of the damage was to him, bad scrapes on his face, shoulder, and some on his legs. He said that when he went to :clint: lay her down the bike slid just fine but his momentum took him over the handle bars and he hit the pavement shoulder first. The bike wasn't hurt at all with the exception of some scrapes on his balls expensive saddle bags and highway bars.

I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure that not only was wreck itself avoidable, but he could have avoided ALL the damage done to him if he was wearing proper gear. People make fun of me for riding a 250, not going balls-out everywhere I go, and always wearing full gear but there's a reason for that. Dress for the crash not the ride.

Paracetamolpill
Jan 6, 2010
College Slice

XYLOPAGUS posted:

I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure that not only was wreck itself avoidable, but he could have avoided ALL the damage done to him if he was wearing proper gear. People make fun of me for riding a 250, not going balls-out everywhere I go, and always wearing full gear but there's a reason for that. Dress for the crash not the ride.

I get funny looks for wearing full gear on a 250 as well, I've never understood it - crashing at 70 mph is the same regardless of the size of my bike's engine.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Dress for the crash not the ride.

Well, dress for both, ideally. Otherwise we'd all be wearing something like this

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I've missed getting a photo both times I've seen this, but might get lucky next week.

Parked up at one of the bike parking spots in my local town was a gleaming blue HD. On its rear mud guard is a sticker that says "Support your local Hells Angels Kent"

I've seen the chap who rides this machine. He has no patches on his jacket. I thought that if you were a Hells Angel you were a Hells Angel all the time, not just on ride outs?

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Angrymog posted:

I've missed getting a photo both times I've seen this, but might get lucky next week.

Parked up at one of the bike parking spots in my local town was a gleaming blue HD. On its rear mud guard is a sticker that says "Support your local Hells Angels Kent"

I've seen the chap who rides this machine. He has no patches on his jacket. I thought that if you were a Hells Angel you were a Hells Angel all the time, not just on ride outs?
I think these support your local hells angels stickers are just merchandise available from the website for anyone to own full patch member or not.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Well, dress for both, ideally. Otherwise we'd all be wearing something like this

Very true. Comfort is definitely important and a close second to minimal overall protection.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Saganism posted:

I get funny looks for wearing full gear on a 250 as well, I've never understood it - crashing at 70 mph is the same regardless of the size of my bike's engine.

I rode it to work on Saturday since we had worked late all week and I didn't end up riding. I work at a construction site. Here's a somewhat amusing conversation:

Construction foreman :raise: - "I would never have thought you would ride a bike. What is that a 600?."

Me :v: - "No, actually it's a 250"

Construction foreman :raise: - "Wow, you're going to regret that after a month and wish you bought a 600. What's the top speed of that thing? like 70 mph?"

Me: :v: - "It can probably get up to about 100 mph at WOT, but I don't tend to go that fast. These things hold their value really well anyway. What do you ride?"

Construction foreman :o: - "Oh, I only ride in the dirt."

EDIT: grammar.

XYLOPAGUS fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 29, 2012

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Saganism posted:

I'm not sure why you'd get funny looks, you aren't wearing that stuff to protect the bike.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

My Harley-ridingowning colleague asked me when I was going to Man Up and get a Real Bike.

I asked him how many kilometers he put on his Fat Boy last year.

:smug:: "Oh, about 500"

:rolleyes:

sounds just like harley colleague of mine, down to the fatboy

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Sagebrush posted:

Where's the issue?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
!

Giblet Plus! posted:

sounds just like harley colleague of mine, down to the fatboy

I've put 400 miles on my RD in like two months of poo poo weather, working 12hr days/nights. I don't see how it is possible to put so few miles on a bike. And that even counts my breakdowns!

Also, for stupid overheard poo poo, if one more person tells me my bike is burning loving oil....

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

Also, for stupid overheard poo poo, if one more person tells me my bike is burning loving oil....

Just say "YEP!", then stare at them until they go away.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Shimrod posted:

Where's the issue?

Really hard to work the trip computer / give the Wave with pincers

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I found an article a friend of my dad wrote and thought it went well in here. He's talking about fishing for the first half or so, so you can just skip that part.
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/1202_crup_shop_talk_tech_matters/index.html

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Deeters posted:

I found an article a friend of my dad wrote and thought it went well in here. He's talking about fishing for the first half or so, so you can just skip that part.
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/1202_crup_shop_talk_tech_matters/index.html

Ya know, I get pretty irritated when people give me poo poo for my choice of bike, but comparing it to racism is definitely something only an old white dude would do.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Deeters posted:

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/te...ters/index.html

My aunt (who doesn't ride) once asked me why I didn't have a Harley. "Is it too much bike for you?" She wasn't being demeaning, she was just asking a question. I politely and gently informed her that it was just the opposite, and that my 160 bhp literbike had nearly 3 times the power of a Harley, with much better handling, and that not everyone wanted that type of bike. After all, she drives an Infiniti (or whatever it was at the time, Mercedes now), not a giant lifted truck that she could easily afford.

Now, there are jerks who say the "real bike" thing to try to put you down. I enjoy making them feel insecure. But for everyone else, I figure ride what you want to ride, just have fun doing it.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Ya know, I get pretty irritated when people give me poo poo for my choice of bike, but comparing it to racism is definitely something only an old white dude would do.

Which is a racist statement in itself.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I'm so glad people over here have to earn their license, or at least spend a lot more effort on it. This whole "that bikes too big/grow old" stuff just doesn't happen.

Although you're probably going to find a lot of boasting wannabe boy racers telling tall tales of law transgressions. That's a global phenomenon.

Flint Ironstag posted:

That's homophobic! That's black! That's racist! drat...

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

KARMA! posted:

I'm so glad people over here have to earn their license, or at least spend a lot more effort on it. This whole "that bikes too big/grow old" stuff just doesn't happen.

I know a guy with an AMA race license who actually apologizes for saying he rides a 250 Ninja on the street. Even he falls for the "too small" bike myth.

OK, you got me there. Sarcasm doesn't show through reading, unfortunately. Which is Anti-Typist!

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Flint Ironstag posted:

I know a guy with an AMA race license who actually apologizes for saying he rides a 250 Ninja on the street. Even he falls for the "too small" bike myth.

The guy you know sounds like he is literally retarded.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

front wing flexing posted:

The guy you know sounds like he is literally retarded.

Actually, he isn't. He's a highly skilled rider, on the track or the street.

I just think he's gotten too used to the "bigger is automatically better" mentality and just automatically apologizes to stop the stupidity before it starts. Last time I talked to him, he was working on becoming an MSF instructor.

Maybe I should buy him an account here so he can see he's not alone, except for his crazy friend (me).

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

That's why I thought it was the perfect double-whammy for this thread. I can generally ignore that kind of stuff from him since he is really knowledgeable about bikes.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Flint Ironstag posted:

But I'm white too so it's okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Flint Ironstag posted: