Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scpredmage
Sep 2, 2011

Dark_T_Zeratul posted:

Because Warpriests' Channel Divinity is coded as a different feature than all other classes' Channel Divinity.
More specifically, WotC combined all the Channel Divinity features for the classes that they had put into the LCB to avoid the prerequisite issues Warpriest was having.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
So pretty much all of the various theme attack powers from Heroes of the Elemental Chaos need fixing, chiefly because they're not set up to correctly parse the ability modifiers they're supposed to use. As a free bonus, here's three unrelated powers I noticed didn't work properly either while looking into the HotEC issue.

Meanwhile, it looks like Tome Expertise still hasn't been fixed.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Unless something went wrong without popping up an error message it looks like Paragon Multiclassing isn't letting me exchange an at-will for a new one anymore.

Should a character be able to exchange one of the executioner at wills using the Paragon Multiclassing 11th level feature? On a similar note should a half-elf using Paragon Multiclassing with Versatile Master be able to pick up non-leveled powers? Apparently the feature doesn't specify a level, and the conversation on the Wizard site seems to imply the online builder allows people to select things like Dual Weapon Attack or Flurry of Blows.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Just to put this here, one of my fellow players is rocking a Blackguard. At 1st level he has a misc +3 Bonus to AC (he has a 23 AC instead of the expected 20 AC). Not sure where that bonus is coming from.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
You should probably post the .dnd4e file or, failing that, the character's vital statistics like race, feats and theme, otherwise this is going to be pure guesswork. It doesn't look to be a problem with the blackguard itself because I'm not seeing an errant +3 bonus anywhere when creating one.

scpredmage
Sep 2, 2011

Ryuujin posted:

Unless something went wrong without popping up an error message it looks like Paragon Multiclassing isn't letting me exchange an at-will for a new one anymore.

Should a character be able to exchange one of the executioner at wills using the Paragon Multiclassing 11th level feature? On a similar note should a half-elf using Paragon Multiclassing with Versatile Master be able to pick up non-leveled powers? Apparently the feature doesn't specify a level, and the conversation on the Wizard site seems to imply the online builder allows people to select things like Dual Weapon Attack or Flurry of Blows.
Technically speaking, the only requirements for the at-will power swap from Paragon Multiclassing is that the power has to be at-will, and must be an attack. So yes, strictly by rules-as-written (RAW), you CAN swap the Executioner at-will attacks for Dual Weapon Attack or one of the Flurry of Blows powers.

That being said, both the LCB AND the OCB will only let you swap powers that have levels. I've looked at this in the past, and to be honest, I'm not entirely sure how to fix it. It IS something I'm looking at, though (mostly because my Bladesinger with Paragon Multiclassing in Swordmage should be able to swap one of his bladespells).

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

MMAgCh posted:

You should probably post the .dnd4e file or, failing that, the character's vital statistics like race, feats and theme, otherwise this is going to be pure guesswork. It doesn't look to be a problem with the blackguard itself because I'm not seeing an errant +3 bonus anywhere when creating one.

Yeah, neither can I. Weird.

joatmaos
Nov 26, 2010

Drewjitsu posted:

Just to put this here, one of my fellow players is rocking a Blackguard. At 1st level he has a misc +3 Bonus to AC (he has a 23 AC instead of the expected 20 AC). Not sure where that bonus is coming from.

does he have a item in his inventory called mekillot shell armor? it is bugged if you have it in your inventory (not equipped) and no other armor it will add its ac+dex mod to your ac.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Silly question:
If I want to share all the parts I've imported into my instance of CBLoader with other members of my group, could I just ship off the index files and let CBLoader download everything it needs?

:ninja: edit: Spelling

Greyhawk Fan
Dec 14, 2010

Ryuujin posted:

Nope. For the Paragon Multiclassing power-swaps you must choose a power that has a level. It has always worked this way in both builders.

scpredmage
Sep 2, 2011

Greyhawk Fan posted:

Nope. For the Paragon Multiclassing power-swaps you must choose a power that has a level. It has always worked this way in both builders.
Incorrect. The Character Builders, both the offline and online versions, are not, and have never been rules sources. While it may make sense to check the behavior of our code against how the online CB works, in order to tell what the INTENTION of the rule is, it does not determine what is and is not legal.

Player's Handbook, page 209, Paragon Multiclassing posted:

At 11th level, you can choose to replace one of your at-will powers with an at-will power from your second class.
This has NEVER received a rules update. Since it doesn't mention level, no level is required, either from the power being traded out or traded for.

Now, clearly this kind of thing was never intended to be legal. But until Paragon Multiclassing receives an update to fix this, it IS technically legal. Which really should only matter in organized play scenarios like LFR, where DMs and organizers aren't empowered to make decisions on character generation, so long as the character meets the rules as written; any decent DM should know better than to allow such an obvious subversion of how the game is supposed to work.

Short answer: yes you can, no you shouldn't.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Well, it's never been updated because Paragon Multiclassing is such complete poo poo that no one cares about CharOpping/exploiting it anyway.

scpredmage
Sep 2, 2011
Is there any particular reason that the level 10 Primordial Adept feat grants a "Primordial Adept Level 5 Feature" bonus ("Level 5"?) instead of a power bonus like its supposed to?

Greyhawk Fan
Dec 14, 2010

scpredmage posted:

Short answer: yes you can, no you shouldn't.
I am puzzled by your response. You clearly state it shouldn't be done but you also insist it could be done.

When Paragon Multi-classing was designed, written, and printed it required an attack power with a level. They all had levels so there was no need to be specific about it.

The good thing about Dungeons & Dragons is we have Dungeon Masters. Ask your Dungeon Master if you are confused. If you don't have a regular Dungeon Master then that puts you into a bad position for these sort of questions. Players can't just decide these gray areas. The best you can do is look at the official materials and see what they give you. They don't allow it--both the builders will not allow it. I think it is pretty clear that unless your Dungeon Master allows otherwise you can't select a power without a level.

Entilzha4
Feb 17, 2011

Greyhawk Fan posted:

When Paragon Multi-classing was designed, written, and printed it required an attack power with a level. They all had levels so there was no need to be specific about it.

Well, as I think it was mentioned, it is a case of Rules As Written vs Rules As Intended.

It's similar to the Half-Elf's Dilettante power. The way it was worded, you could select *any* at-will power to become an encounter power. So people were doing silly things like selecting the Paladin's Lay on Hands power. It came to the attention of the designers, and they issued an errata. The thing with Paragon Multiclassing is that since it's such a lovely option, no one every took it and thus the same issue was never caught.

Not until about a year ago when someone noticed that discrepancy and made an Avenger who Paragon Multiclassed Ranger and got the Scout's Dual Weapon Attack power. The Rules As Written allowed it. The Rules As Intended probably doesn't. (Of course, by that point, I think most of the designers were more or less looking at the next edition/iteration/whatever, and didn't have time to issue an errata for it; or so I guess).

scpredmage
Sep 2, 2011

Entilzha4 posted:

So people were doing silly things like selecting the Paladin's Lay on Hands power.
While this DOES highlight the silliness that led to Dilettante being updated, it was NEVER legal, as Lay On Hands is a class feature, not a power. While it IS formatted like a power, and it IS in the Character Builder (both versions, actually) with a "type" of Power, if you look in the upper right corner, you'll notice it's labelled "Paladin Feature".

There are actually a number of class features formatted like this, like the Swordmage's Aegis class features. They're formatted as powers both for clarity on how they work, as well as so they'll end up on a power card.

But yeah, it is an issue of RAW vs RAI. The wording of the rules leave it open to be used this way, but it's pretty obvious that that was unintentional.

Greyhawk Fan posted:

The good thing about Dungeons & Dragons is we have Dungeon Masters.
Well, like I said, this only matters in organized play campaigns like Living Forgotten Realms, where the individual DMs running a table don't actually have the power to override what is TECHNICALLY legal for character generation. There is a "campaign guide" that dictates what options are available to players, and the players are required to be strictly in accordance with the rules as written (again, "RAW"), but so long as they follow both of those, the DMs aren't allowed to rule a character illegal. These campaign rules exist so that players have a "uniform play experience", which is to say, so that they can play a character anywhere, with different DMs, and still have the character work the same way.

For the record, this CAN cut both ways. I was playing a Pacifist Healer cleric in LFR back when Essentials updated the Healing Word power to longer have the Divine keyword, meaning the Pacifist Healer feat no longer applied to it. It took a long, long time for WotC to finally update the feat to explicitly work with the feat, and until they did, characters based around the feat got screwed, because they were stuck following RAW, not RAI. In a home campaign, the DM could simply say "of course it applies", but again, in LFR they can't.

Greyhawk Fan
Dec 14, 2010

scpredmage posted:

In a home campaign, the DM could simply say "of course it applies", but again, in LFR they can't.
Actually you will find that the Dungeon Master can say whatever he wants. You can get mad and complain if you want. You can even complain loudly. The thing is no one even cares anymore about the loud people in shared world campaigns. I was talking to someone who lives in the north east and he was telling me how things are different as from night and day from before when the RPGA Network actually enforced anything to today. Today it seems no one cares as long as people are generally having fun. That is actually a good thing. The whole purpose of D&D is to have fun.

I was curious and even looked it up on the Wizards website. Everything is gone. Pretty much everyone runs LFR right off the character builder and they show up with whatever character they have. Since nothing can be checked it doesn't really matter. Things have gone full circle back to the way they were in the early 1990's as far as paperwork goes but the difference is the lack of commitment and interest is at an all-time low.

With the status quo of divided shared world campaign folks in different baskets playing different games and with Wizards happy they have gotten rid of most of the complaints they had been receiving for the last decade or so connected to them; I seriously doubt you will get another one for fifth edition. They might "power-up" encounters a bit to allow for play beyond level 3.

Dark_T_Zeratul
Sep 2, 2011
It's all at http://livingforgottenrealms.com/ now.

8w-gremlin
Apr 4, 2011
given that the paragon swap is worded as it is...
is there any way to have a part file that you can choose to download if you wish?
is there any way of doing that?

thank you

Sakri
Dec 15, 2010
Hi,

Is there some reason why I can't find Book of Vile Darkness items?

Also, I would like to request an item entry for Unseelie Agent theme's shadow-wrought weapon.

Sakri fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 5, 2012

Greyhawk Fan
Dec 14, 2010

Dark_T_Zeratul posted:

It's all at http://livingforgottenrealms.com/ now.
While that website does have some of the information and most scenarios for LFR--a great deal of organized play is gone forever. This includes actual support from WotC and the health community-based organization that existed in 1990's. It is pretty sad that the only thing that remains is untracked and unsupported play of only one campaign. The new Retail League has more suppport but is capped at level 3.
---

8w-gremlin posted:

given that the paragon swap is worded as it is...
is there any way to have a part file that you can choose to download if you wish?
is there any way of doing that?

thank you
Unfortunately the paragon multi-classing system is hard-coded into the builder so it works as it works. You can always use the House Rule button to add powers that you normally don't have access to.

scpredmage
Sep 2, 2011
You know, I really should have added this to the Fire Elementalist class feature when I wrote it:
code:
<textstring name="Elemental Bolt:damage" value="+1d6" />

sythspawn
Apr 5, 2011
I just noticed that my sun domain warpriest has both the level 3 and 13 encounter powers. Shouldn't the level 13 replace the level 3 power?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

sythspawn posted:

I just noticed that my sun domain warpriest has both the level 3 and 13 encounter powers. Shouldn't the level 13 replace the level 3 power?
It's the level 1 encounter power that gets (correctly) replaced.

Tivaan
Jul 13, 2011

scpredmage posted:

You know, I really should have added this to the Fire Elementalist class feature when I wrote it:
code:
<textstring name="Elemental Bolt:damage" value="+1d6" />

Where abouts do you want this added

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
level 1
Dragonborn, Cavalier|Fighter
Hybrid Cavalier: Hybrid Cavalier Will
Arcane Implement Proficiency: Arcane Implement Proficiency (heavy blade group)
Dragonborn Racial Power: Dragon Breath
Dragon Breath Key Ability: Dragon Breath Strength
Dragon Breath Damage Type: Dragon Breath Fire
Background: Born Under a Bad Sign, Akanûl (Born Under a Bad Sign Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 12, Dex 12, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 18.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 12, Dex 12, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 16.

AC: 19 Fort: 15 Reflex: 13 Will: 15
HP: 33 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 9

TRAINED SKILLS
Intimidate +11, Diplomacy +9, Athletics +7

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics -1, Arcana, Bluff +4, Dungeoneering -1, Endurance -1, Heal -1, History +2, Insight -1, Nature -1, Perception -1, Religion, Stealth -1, Streetwise +4, Thievery -1

FEATS
Level 1: Arcane Implement Proficiency

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Shield Feint
Hybrid encounter 1: Holy Smite
Hybrid daily 1: Paladin's Judgment

ITEMS
Scale Armor, Heavy Shield, Rapier, Adventurer's Kit, Climber's Kit
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

OK, I built this character just now and I noticed that it is allowing me to pick feats which require being an Arcane class, even thought the character is a hybrid Cavalier|Fighter. Any ideas?

I have the Arcane Implement Proficiency feat to show that the builder is actually doing this.

EDIT: OK, the spoiler tag does not work on here like it works on other forums. So, sorry for the long post.

Undrhil fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 8, 2012

scpredmage
Sep 2, 2011

Tivaan posted:

Where abouts do you want this added
Anywhere in the rules section of the Fire Elementalist class feature (ID_FMP_CLASS_FEATURE_4338), 24-sorcerer.part, lines 263-269.

scpredmage
Sep 2, 2011

Undrhil posted:

OK, I built this character just now and I noticed that it is allowing me to pick feats which require being an Arcane class, even thought the character is a hybrid Cavalier|Fighter. Any ideas?

I have the Arcane Implement Proficiency feat to show that the builder is actually doing this.

EDIT: OK, the spoiler tag does not work on here like it works on other forums. So, sorry for the long post.
37-hybrid.part, lines 1207 and 1238, lists the Power Source element for the hybrid Cavalier as ID_FMP_POWER_SOURCE_2, which is Arcane. These should be ID_FMP_POWER_SOURCE_3, which is Divine.

danpipoly
May 17, 2003
I've got a player in my Campaign using Alchemical Formulas. I discovered that one of the Formulas he wants to use "Greater Sovereign Glue" is not in the LCB. It has led me to believe that there are a few Alchemical Formulas from Mordenkainen's Magnificient Emporium that aren't listed yet. Can I get someone to check them, and see about fixing the Alchemical Formulas from MME?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

danpipoly posted:

I've got a player in my Campaign using Alchemical Formulas. I discovered that one of the Formulas he wants to use "Greater Sovereign Glue" is not in the LCB. It has led me to believe that there are a few Alchemical Formulas from Mordenkainen's Magnificient Emporium that aren't listed yet. Can I get someone to check them, and see about fixing the Alchemical Formulas from MME?
Yeah, there's a bunch of MME content that's incomplete or missing. Virtually all the pieces of mundane adventuring gear from it are missing the part of their descriptions that states the mechanical benefits they grant, for instance.

On an unrelated note, most of the "+3 to [element] damage rolls" style feats from HotEC currently don't scale up at level 21 and need fixing.

sythspawn
Apr 5, 2011

MMAgCh posted:

It's the level 1 encounter power that gets (correctly) replaced.

:doh: My mistake.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Hey it's about time that we had a style guide for some of the more routine stuff.

I've got a theme style guide, let me know if that is worth doing for other things.

Dark_T_Zeratul
Sep 2, 2011
I'm trying to code a new rules element. These are the contents of the .part file, but it's not showing up in the builder. What am I missing?

code:
<RulesElement name="Liquid Shadow" type="Magic Item" internal-id="ID_FMP_MAGIC_ITEM_ADCP18" source="Living Forgotten Realms">

<Flavor> You consumed a draught of liquid shadow, an alchemical substance imbued with Shar's dark magic. Although the potion was beneficial to you during hte battle, some of the shadow essence remains within your body.</Flavor>

<specific name="Magic Item Type"> Alternative Reward </specific>
    <specific name="Level"> 1 </specific>
    <specific name="Gold"> 0 </specific>

<specific name="Alternative Reward"> Story Award </specific>

<specific name="Rarity"> Uncommon </specific>

<specific name="_AssociatedMonsters" />
    <specific name="Property"> You gain the Born of Shadow feat. If you have normal vision, you gain low-light vision. Worshippers of Shar and creatures with the shadow origin can sense your location (without spending an action) if you are within 5 squares. This negates any cover or concealment you may have against such creatures.</specific>
    <rules>
      <grant name="ID_FMP_FEAT_3559" type="Feat" />
      <grant name="ID_INTERNAL_VISION_LOW-LIGHT" type="Vision" />
    </rules>
</RulesElement>

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Dark_T_Zeratul posted:

I'm trying to code a new rules element. These are the contents of the .part file, but it's not showing up in the builder. What am I missing?
But it does appear (for me)? It's under "Other", all the way at the bottom of the item categories list.

Also, you are breaking the tables something awful there. :ssh:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Dark_T_Zeratul posted:

code:

<specific name="Alternative Reward"> Story Award </specific>

It's because of this line. You might want to consider making this a boon instead, an then it will show up in Boons.

Dark_T_Zeratul
Sep 2, 2011

MMAgCh posted:

But it does appear (for me)? It's under "Other", all the way at the bottom of the item categories list.
Funny, it's not showing up for me at all, even when I search for Liquid Shadow in the Shop.

Greyhawk Fan
Dec 14, 2010

Dark_T_Zeratul posted:

Funny, it's not showing up for me at all, even when I search for Liquid Shadow in the Shop.

Dark, I would encode your item thus:
Liquid Shadow XML

Then in the Shop tab you can click on Boons and you will find it listed at level 1.

Dark_T_Zeratul
Sep 2, 2011
Actually, since there's already another LFR sourced item in the builder... Could you just add the Liquid Shadow story award along with this as its source?
code:
<RulesElement name="ADCP3&#x2212;2 From Dawn Till Dusk" type="source" internal-id="ID_LFR_ADCP_3_2_2011" source="Core">
    <specific name="IsBeta">0</specific>
    <specific name="URL">[url]http://www.livingforgottenrealms.com/#origins2011[/url]</specific>
    <specific name="Release Date"> 5/30/2011 </specific>
</RulesElement>
Also, I'm making a couple adjustments to Liquid Shadow:
code:
<RulesElement name="Liquid Shadow" type="Magic Item" internal-id="ID_FMP_MAGIC_ITEM_ADCP18" source="ADCP3&#x2212;2 From Dawn Till Dusk">
      <Flavor> You consumed a draught of liquid shadow, an alchemical substance imbued with Shar's dark magic. Although the potion was beneficial to you during the battle, some of the shadow essence remains within your body. </Flavor>
      <specific name="Level"> 1 </specific>
      <specific name="Gold"> 0 </specific>
      <specific name="Magic Item Type"> Legendary Boon </specific>
      <specific name="_Rarity" />
      <specific name="Rarity"> Rare </specific>
      <specific name="Property"> You gain the Born of Shadow feat. If you have normal vision, you gain low-light vision. Worshippers of Shar and creatures with the shadow origin can sense your location (without spending an action) if you are within 5 squares. This negates any cover or concealment you may have against such creatures. See Story Award ADCP18 for more details. </specific>
        <rules>
          <grant name="ID_FMP_FEAT_3559" type="Feat" />
          <grant name="ID_INTERNAL_VISION_LOW-LIGHT" type="Vision" requires="!ID_INTERNAL_VISION_DARKVISION" />
        </rules>
    </RulesElement>

Dark_T_Zeratul fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 16, 2012

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I was just looking and it seems like he Greaves of Maldeen should offer a conditional modifier to speed. Though I really don't know if any other items even add that to the movement part of the sheet.

This code looks like it does the job, though the phrasing on the sheet leaves a bit to be desired, only part of which is my fault. "+2 Speed when you move towards an enemy in your line of sight". It's just a bit of reminder text, so I don't really think taking up the entire box with "as long as they remain in your line of sight" is worth it.

code:
<rules>
      <statadd name="Speed" value="+2" type="item" condition="when you move towards an enemy in your line of sight" />
</rules>
Additionally, should stuff like earth walk show up there? I just took Solid Footing and it seems like it should have something in special movement. I don't see any other items that grant *walk abilities doing it either.

Further question: Is there a way to have the Fortune Stones benefit actually show up on my sheet? My group has a full set and I constantly forget the buffs.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Echophonic posted:

Further question: Is there a way to have the Fortune Stones benefit actually show up on my sheet? My group has a full set and I constantly forget the buffs.

Right click on the fortune stone, click Set Info, and set the # of items possessed to 5. That will give you the init bonus and the saving throw bonus.

• Locked thread