Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

I'm just wondering how long before Malack decides "Sod it" and murders Nale despite everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Actually Elan is fairly dangerous in a fight, apparently. Given that he's beaten Nale 1v1 after getting his prestige class, and it's a running gag that despite being functionally retarded, Elan is the only character in the party who is actually well built.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Cuchulain posted:

Actually Elan is fairly dangerous in a fight, apparently. Given that he's beaten Nale 1v1 after getting his prestige class, and it's a running gag that despite being functionally retarded, Elan is the only character in the party who is actually well built.

Well, Nale is terribly built too, for what that's worth. He's like a multiclass fighter/rogue/sorcerer.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Android Blues posted:

Well, Nale is terribly built too, for what that's worth. He's like a multiclass fighter/rogue/sorcerer.

Sorcerer who specializes in illusion spells! :eng101:

This was obviously a little gag way early in.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Android Blues posted:

He's probably higher level than Roy, but Elan's combat skills top out at around "passably mediocre" while Roy is a full fighter. I have no doubts Tarquin still outmatches him, especially with all the damage he's already taken, but he can probably give him significantly more of a run for his money than Elan could.

Agreed, which is almost certainly why Tarquin is going in as Thog in the first place...he needs every advantage he can get, just to be sure.

Well, that, and to show off how much of a badass he is, which is an important part of Tarquin's character.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
So wait, nobody's commented that we finally found out Sabine's not a devil?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Danzou posted:

Succubi are demons.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

HKR posted:

Succubi are demons.

I don't think we knew for sure she was a succubus; she could have been an Erinyes, which are female winged devils. This was the whole point of that strip where Haley shot her with a cold iron and a silver arrow at the same time, and was frustrated at not knowing which one hurt her (cold iron hurts demons, silver hurts devils.)

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

She was always way, way too stupid and impulsive to be an Erinyes.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Ashenai posted:

I don't think we knew for sure she was a succubus; she could have been an Erinyes, which are female winged devils. This was the whole point of that strip where Haley shot her with a cold iron and a silver arrow at the same time, and was frustrated at not knowing which one hurt her (cold iron hurts demons, silver hurts devils.)

yes but when it was revealed that she worked for the archfiends it was also revealed that she was a succubus working for the Lawful evil archfiend

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Danzou posted:

I don't know if we should take it as proof of her origins, as it's the build up to a joke. That joke being that she didn't deny being a whore.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Rumda posted:

yes but when it was revealed that she worked for the archfiends it was also revealed that she was a succubus working for the Lawful evil archfiend

Oh, right v:shobon:v

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

My money is on Tarquin bum-rushing Roy into a one-on-one confrontation just out of view of the Linear Guild and, then, immediately spilling the entire situation to Roy so they can concoct a plan to take Nale and the drow out of the picture.

Just because he can, and 'proving' to the Order he's on their side will be useful later. They've proven they can get poo poo done, Nale not so much.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
And then Tarquin can backstab both parties, trapping them into the temple or whatever.

I hope that doesn't happen. I'm interested in finally seeing Roy fight with his awesome sword though, I can't remember if that's happened yet.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Android Blues posted:

This is actually a stealth joke about how goddamned complicated becoming a bard in 1st edition was. Originally, you had to have an outrageously high ability spread, then multiclass 3 times going from fighter to thief and finally druid before being a bard. 3rd edition bards are more like sorcerers, so that class substitution makes more sense. (3e bards having healing spells is a relic of the druid multiclass they originally had to do.)

Both Elan and Nale are Bards, its just that Nale took the needlessly complicated old-style bard progression. Which is entirely in-character for him.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Succubi are devils in 4e, which makes a bit more thematic sense to me if you look at their classic role as tempters in comparison to the Erinyes, who were the furies of Greek myth sent to punish mortals (which was their original function in AD&D or so, it wasn't until 2e and 3e that they just became generic "female devils" with no real role whatsoever other than fanservice). It made a bit more sense to some of the 3e writers as well, since the Fiendish Codex II: Tyrants of the Nine Hells introduced the Brachina, a succubus with the serial numbers filed off.

Anyways, I think Tarquin's talk about the end of the mission could be hinting that Malak would be permitted to kill Nale after the gate was secured.

crime fighting hog posted:

And then Tarquin can backstab both parties, trapping them into the temple or whatever.

I hope that doesn't happen. I'm interested in finally seeing Roy fight with his awesome sword though, I can't remember if that's happened yet.

It's happened several times, such as in the battle when Nale swapped places with Elan (Sabine regretted sending them on the quest after feeling the effects of the sword), the battle for Azure City, and the battle with the slavers in the desert post-resurrection. He hasn't used any new technique though.

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

Zonekeeper posted:

This is actually a stealth joke about how goddamned complicated becoming a bard in 1st edition was. Originally, you had to have an outrageously high ability spread, then multiclass 3 times going from fighter to thief and finally druid before being a bard. 3rd edition bards are more like sorcerers, so that class substitution makes more sense. (3e bards having healing spells is a relic of the druid multiclass they originally had to do.)

Both Elan and Nale are Bards, its just that Nale took the needlessly complicated old-style bard progression. Which is entirely in-character for him.

Nale never said he was a fighter/thief/sorcerer/bard. The joke might reference that first edition craziness, but in story he is just a fighter/thief/sorcerer because thought bards were wimps and he over-complicates things.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
The joke is that Nale has exactly the same abilities Elan does, he just did things in an over-complicated manner and thinks he's super-clever for it.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Tinyn posted:

Nale never said he was a fighter/thief/sorcerer/bard. The joke might reference that first edition craziness, but in story he is just a fighter/thief/sorcerer because thought bards were wimps and he over-complicates things.

I never said that Nale has actual Bard levels, I said that he took the precise mix of classes that give him the same set of abilities (minus bard-only stuff like Bardic Knowledge and songs) as that class, making him a "bard" of sorts. Aside from swapping Druid levels for Sorcerer levels, he has exactly the same class mix as a 1st edition Bard.

CapnAndy posted:

The joke is that Nale has exactly the same abilities Elan does, he just did things in an over-complicated manner and thinks he's super-clever for it.

Exactly.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
"And that never struck you as needlessly overcomplicated?"
"Not until this moment, no."

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Except, of course, that unlike Elan...Nale has Sneak Attack and knows how to use it.

And Elan has the ridiculously overpowered prestige class now too.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

DrakePegasus posted:

Reread Tarquin's every word and evaluate them. C'mon, man, this should be standard procedure!

I hope so, I'm so loving sick and tired of Nale and the Linear Guild in general.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Calaveron posted:

I hope so, I'm so loving sick and tired of Nale and the Linear Guild in general.

I don't know, I'm still curious about the three dudes V made a deal with, and their related... kinda.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

VanSandman posted:

I don't know, I'm still curious about the three dudes V made a deal with, and they're related... kinda.
Oh, yeah. There have been hints that a lot of different individuals have fingers in this pie, and with at least one full book to go (and a whole other world unexplored), something big is still unrevealed.

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!
I frankly don't really care where they take the story, I'll be entertained either way. The fact that he keeps splitting up the party, though, is annoying as gently caress. Every time they get reunited it's 2-3 strips max before they are split up for another 20 strips.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

DMBFan23 posted:

I frankly don't really care where they take the story, I'll be entertained either way. The fact that he keeps splitting up the party, though, is annoying as gently caress. Every time they get reunited it's 2-3 strips max before they are split up for another 20 strips.

Yes sacrificing story elements for optimal party strength in encounters is the best way to tell a story.

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!

HKR posted:

Yes sacrificing story elements for optimal party strength in encounters is the best way to tell a story.

It's not optimal party strength in the min/max sense, it's that my enjoyment of the strip comes from the interactions between the party members, and when they're apart I get less of that.

Sorry that I have offended you.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

DMBFan23 posted:

It's not optimal party strength in the min/max sense, it's that my enjoyment of the strip comes from the interactions between the party members, and when they're apart I get less of that.

Sorry that I have offended you.

Frodo and Sam should have never left the fellowship. :(

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I actually agree with DMBFan23, it feels pretty lame to be all looking forward to (for example) an epic rematch of V vs. ZZdtri, only to then have V knocked out of the stage through a fairly contrived sequence of events ("Our verbose and stoic wizard suddenly screams and runs away in an epic-level pyramid that we know is trapped to hell and back? Ah, no worries, he's probably just taking a bit of fresh air outside, it's perfectly OK to have a party member walk around alone in this adventure." :rolleyes:)

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

I actually agree with DMBFan23, it feels pretty lame to be all looking forward to (for example) an epic rematch of V vs. ZZdtri, only to then have V knocked out of the stage through a fairly contrived sequence of events ("Our verbose and stoic wizard suddenly screams and runs away in an epic-level pyramid that we know is trapped to hell and back? Ah, no worries, he's probably just taking a bit of fresh air outside, it's perfectly OK to have a party member walk around alone in this adventure." :rolleyes:)

Yeah, I gotta agree with that one. Roy should be smarter than that. It's not like Elan was contributing anything to the search, so you might as well send him out to make sure V's okay.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

LightWarden posted:

Anyways, I think Tarquin's talk about the end of the mission could be hinting that Malak would be permitted to kill Nale after the gate was secured.

The true evil mastermind always stays in the shadows and jumps in after his figurehead lackey has either taken the fall or to knock him off and seize the power for himself. Tarquin is all about exploiting the narrative, his greatest power is knowing that he is in a story with rules.

It really make me want to see him face off against Xykon who seems built around the idea of a villain that realizes he is in a game with rules.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The junk collector posted:

The true evil mastermind always stays in the shadows and jumps in after his figurehead lackey has either taken the fall or to knock him off and seize the power for himself. Tarquin is all about exploiting the narrative, his greatest power is knowing that he is in a story with rules.

It really make me want to see him face off against Xykon who seems built around the idea of a villain that realizes he is in a game with rules.

Story-saavy villain vs. Game-saavy villain? Hmmm...you might be on to something there...

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
On the subject of Tarquin, I had an idea: What if he ends up working with the Order to 'redeem' himself? After all, what would be more legendary, the villain who was defeated by his own son, or the one who turned to the side of good to help his son? I've actually started wondering whether this could actually be Elan's plan (It being inspired during Roy's mention of "find[ing] a sense of good in your family" might point to this as well), but I'm not sure how Durkon fits into it then. Casting Atonement, maybe?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

He'd only have to genuinely want it for Atonement to work though.

Someone like Tarquin who lacks the empathy to truly understand getting upset at a loved one's death probably isn't even capable of faking it all that well.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I hope Rich is okay!

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

This?! This is a glorious dance! That has been passed down! In my family for generations!
Did Durkon ever turn True Seeing off? I would expect that to be a problem for the glamered armor.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Jefepato posted:

Did Durkon ever turn True Seeing off? I would expect that to be a problem for the glamered armor.

Isn't glamered armor real? And not an illusion?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Affi posted:

Isn't glamered armor real? And not an illusion?

quote:

Glamered
A suit of armor with this ability appears normal. Upon command, the armor changes shape and form to assume the appearance of a normal set of clothing. The armor retains all its properties (including weight) when glamered. Only a true seeing spell or similar magic reveals the true nature of the armor when disguised.

Even without that specific wording, it's an illusion effect, and True Seeing counters those, as well as revealing the true nature of any polymorphed or transmuted creature or object.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
:siren: New Comic: not-thog

So much for True Seeing giving the game away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

This?! This is a glorious dance! That has been passed down! In my family for generations!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

:siren: New Comic: not-thog

So much for True Seeing giving the game away.

Well, really, True Seeing should see through it completely unless there's something very, very special about it. But I'm not fully sure Durkon ever got a good look at Tarquin in full gear and I'm not about to archive-trawl to double check it.