Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Sindai posted:

drat Kariya is dumb. Like, so dumb I can't even sympathize with him anymore. :geno:

I loved how the animated Excalibur.

Cut the guy some slack, looking at him it's a miracle he's even borderline lucid.

Also, that was a pretty great episode. The three month gap was rough, but drat if the show doesn't look incredibly nice because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

Cut the guy some slack, looking at him it's a miracle he's even borderline lucid.

Also, that was a pretty great episode. The three month gap was rough, but drat if the show doesn't look incredibly nice because of it.

I think the anime fail to emphasize how much pain Kariya is in for just keeping Berserker materialized and using magic. And that telling Tokiomi exactly what happened to Sakura would give him less of a reason to kill him (not to mention, Zouken might force the worms to kill him immediately if he reveals his secret plans with Sakura).

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Popehoist posted:

Why was it so ridiculously easy for lancer to snap his spear? Looked like he didn't put any strength into it at all.

It's easier for Servants to destroy their own NP's than for others to do it. Thing is, this is supposed to result in the "Broken Phantasm" effect (a huge gently caress-off explosion) that Fate/Stay Night's Archer abuses so effectively. I guess there's a loophole in there somewhere.

quote:

I also really, really enjoyed Joan's one scene. It was very sweet. Even though Apocrypha is really dumb from what I've seen, I'd still like to see a Prototype-esque OVA for it. Just to see Shakespeare and Joan in action.

Counterpoint: it would necessarily have to show off the god-awful Jack the Ripper design as well. Blah to that.

I'm hopeful that some of the worst Servants from the (canceled) MMO won't make it into the LN, but lil' Jackie Loli doesn't give me much hope.

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011

Vengarr posted:

Thing is, this is supposed to result in the "Broken Phantasm" effect

Broken Phantasm only occurs when a NP is overloaded with mana.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

All you folks hating on Fate/Aprocrypha can bite me, the first chapter was fine, if weird and slightly creepy, but there's always a weird and slightly creepy group/plotline in every Fate story, so who is really surprised at this?

And I don't care how stupid and/or pedo Jack the Ripper's outfit is because she has one of the coolest power sets of any Servant. Even she's a sub-par character she'll make a good villain/obstacle for the protagonists just by virtue of her abilities.

The only servant out of the whole lot that's a complete dud is Frankenstein's Monster, and that's mostly because her rewritten backstory is not only even more creep-tastic than Jack's, its also derivative, contrived and stupid as hell. Also her powers are dumb and boring.

Astolfo, Semiramis, Karna, Jeanne, Seigfried and David (and Shakespeare of course) all own bones, and the rest are at least decent. Saint George would own, but he is RETARDEDLY overpowered.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Vengarr posted:

It's easier for Servants to destroy their own NP's than for others to do it. Thing is, this is supposed to result in the "Broken Phantasm" effect (a huge gently caress-off explosion) that Fate/Stay Night's Archer abuses so effectively. I guess there's a loophole in there somewhere.

Counterpoint: it would necessarily have to show off the god-awful Jack the Ripper design as well. Blah to that.

I'm hopeful that some of the worst Servants from the (canceled) MMO won't make it into the LN, but lil' Jackie Loli doesn't give me much hope.

14 of the 15 got in. We don't know WHICH of the 14 yet but my money is the odd man out is Vlad since we already got a version of him in Extra.

Sanguinia posted:

All you folks hating on Fate/Aprocrypha can bite me, the first chapter was fine, if weird and slightly creepy, but there's always a weird and slightly creepy group/plotline in every Fate story, so who is really surprised at this?

And I don't care how stupid and/or pedo Jack the Ripper's outfit is because she has one of the coolest power sets of any Servant. Even she's a sub-par character she'll make a good villain/obstacle for the protagonists just by virtue of her abilities.

The only servant out of the whole lot that's a complete dud is Frankenstein's Monster, and that's mostly because her rewritten backstory is not only even more creep-tastic than Jack's, its also derivative, contrived and stupid as hell. Also her powers are dumb and boring.

Astolfo, Semiramis, Karna, Jeanne, Seigfried and David (and Shakespeare of course) all own bones, and the rest are at least decent. Saint George would own, but he is RETARDEDLY overpowered.
Here's the thing about the LN:
It's written by Higashide, aka the man who designed loli Jack in the first place. This, combined with the fact she and her prostitute mom are the first ones we see, do not exactly lend credence to the idea of her as an antagonist. That and he's got a history of this nonsense, since unless I'm very much mistaken he's the one behind those godawful loli Archer and loli Lancer from the "official" genderbend sets.

THAT ALL SAID, what we've seen of FA is still only the Servants and the very first part of the LN, so it's possible that it could be good and Shakepeare could be the secret protagonist. I don't think it's likely, but it could happen. What I'm unclear on is when we're going to find out, since from what I'm told it's going to be exclusively published in TMA, which doesn't make sense since it's a rarely published fan magazine.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Apr 15, 2012

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Seriously why is loli Jack a thing. That character design. so awful.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Huh, being a complete novice to Fate/X stuff that's the first I've heard about Jack the Ripper. It seems like the idea of The Ripper being a street waif could have been fairly interesting, but the character design and the actual implementation of the idea derail that into :wtf: territory.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah I'm not opposed to it being a little girl necessarily. You could play that in a workable fashion, but that loving design, god drat it Higashide why are you so incompetent?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

legoman727 posted:

Seriously why is loli Jack a thing. That character design. so awful.

If I had to try and justify it (other than the pedo factor), it would be that using a creepy-cute Rei-type girl instead of a man somewhat softens the whole "brutally and psychotically misogynistic anti-woman agenda/powers" thing while simultaneously enhancing the general eerieness and horror of the legend.

Frankly, if she'd been wearing a classy Victorian suit with top hat and cane (or a fancy hoopskirt and bonnet or something else period appropriate) instead of her wierdo gundam thong, I could have ignored her being a little girl entirely.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Sanguinia posted:

If I had to try and justify it (other than the pedo factor), it would be using a creepy-cute Rei-type girl

That's pretty much it; Higashide felt that the Fate side of the Nasuverse was lacking in Reiclones and decided to make Jack. There's probably a little of Sakuya from Touhou in there too.

The only justification necessary is cold marketability and ~*anime*~.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Saver/Joan was a nice surprise, even if it was from a work I will never ever in a million years read (even if it were available).

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Joan is Ruler, not Saver.:goonsay:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
It's kind of weird, I like Oath Sign better than To The Beginning as a song, but I like the second animation a gently caress of a lot better than the first one.

The first one screamed "THIS IS A GENERIC ACTION ANIME" even though we all know it's anything but, and was also kind of boring and lazy in general. This one, on the other hand, is a lot more representative of the show and a lot more interesting to watch as well.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

WickedIcon posted:

It's kind of weird, I like Oath Sign better than To The Beginning as a song, but I like the second animation a gently caress of a lot better than the first one.

The first one screamed "THIS IS A GENERIC ACTION ANIME" even though we all know it's anything but, and was also kind of boring and lazy in general. This one, on the other hand, is a lot more representative of the show and a lot more interesting to watch as well.

I have both on my ipod, the full version of in the beginnining is a lot more listenable but I agree with the sentiment, I loved Oath Sign immediately (cuz drat, its LiSa, Angel Beats was awesome) but In The Beginning LOOKS just so much better.

quote:

If I had to try and justify it (other than the pedo factor), it would be that using a creepy-cute Rei-type girl instead of a man somewhat softens the whole "brutally and psychotically misogynistic anti-woman agenda/powers" thing while simultaneously enhancing the general eerieness and horror of the legend.

Frankly, if she'd been wearing a classy Victorian suit with top hat and cane (or a fancy hoopskirt and bonnet or something else period appropriate) instead of her wierdo gundam thong, I could have ignored her being a little girl entirely.

Do they lack an approval process or something that would have filtered out the design at least? I would also be down with an eerie rei clone Jack too if it were something I could watch in public. One thing I genuinely respected about the Nasuverse was how conservatively everyone dresses.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Do they lack an approval process or something that would have filtered out the design at least? I would also be down with an eerie rei clone Jack too if it were something I could watch in public. One thing I genuinely respected about the Nasuverse was how conservatively everyone dresses.

Higashide just gets away with poo poo as far as I've seen.

Though on the other hand, in some ways Urobuchi's Spartacus is more terrifying :stare:.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Here's what I'm talking about, the "official" genderbends.

Gil:
http://i42.tinypic.com/iqkjmq.jpg

Taiga and some other people (BEST ONE)
http://i44.tinypic.com/280uob8.jpg

And HERE is what I'm fairly certain is Higashide's handiwork because they're awful for the same reason Jack is and the style's sort of similar, though as I can't read Japanese I could be dragging an innocent man through the mud. Feel free to correct me!
http://i43.tinypic.com/24ccbpj.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/27yd4w8.jpg

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
This is a terrible derail. In the interest of closing this off quickly:

quote:

And HERE is what I'm fairly certain is Higashide's handiwork because they're awful for the same reason Jack is and the style's sort of similar, though as I can't read Japanese I could be dragging an innocent man through the mud. Feel free to correct me!

Those two images don't even have the same illustrator listed, and Higashide only wrote the character description for Jack, he wasn't responsible for the artwork. Also this thread isn't even about that particular Fate work so why are you even bringing it up in the first place other than Joan's character design from it being used?

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 16, 2012

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
It kinda amuses me that, in spite of Fate usually being really good about not having all the women dress like strippers, that exists.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Don't forget about that Prism Illya thing.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

Rodyle posted:

Here's what I'm talking about, the "official" genderbends.

Gil:
http://i42.tinypic.com/iqkjmq.jpg

Taiga and some other people (BEST ONE)
http://i44.tinypic.com/280uob8.jpg

I'm pretty sure (well, as much as I can be after a quick google search) Higashide's name is written 東出祐一郎, so he's not the illustrator for either of those pictures.

Anyway, for this here Fate/Zero anime, I wish the buildup for Excalibur weren't so long in the most recent episode. I mean, it is terribly dramatic and all that business, and they wouldn't want to have a climactic moment like that pass too quickly, but it felt slow. Maybe it's just me, I'd have to watch it again to be sure.

Emy fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 16, 2012

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Emy posted:

I'm pretty sure (well, as much as I can be after a quick google search) Higashide's name is written 東出祐一郎, so he's not the illustrator for either of those pictures.

Then I am wrong about everything (except about the Taiga one being the best, that's always true :colbert:).

Jack still sucks though. They had a perfectly good Jack concept made by Narita, they should have just rolled with that one.

-Troika- posted:

Prisma Illya is what you get when you hire straight from the doujin community.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Just watching it again, does anyone else think that the shading used on Kariya while he was burning looked really weird and out of place? It reminded me of 90s style animation on MTV.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Zahki posted:

Just watching it again, does anyone else think that the shading used on Kariya while he was burning looked really weird and out of place? It reminded me of 90s style animation on MTV.

It was kind of disconcerting, but after a couple of seconds my brain just accepted it as the heat of the fire distorting the image.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Zahki posted:

Personally, I thought it was great.

EDIT: I guess it did look sort of weird in a good way, but, as has been pointed out, the circumstances justified using something different.

Onomarchus fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 16, 2012

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

Zahki posted:

I liked it, kinda got the whole burning flesh feeling Kariya was experiencing.

-Troika- posted:

Any new news on that?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Loved the remix of Sword of Promised Victory, as well as the actual Excaliblast itself. Sure, the setup for Excalibur was a bit long, but it was all the better because of it. Iri not knowing how to use a cell phone (an old brick one at that, since it is the 90s after all) was cute and amusing. Berserker managing to take out Vimana with those flares from his F-15 was cool, as was Lancer taking out the F-15, though Berserker was able to salvage the M61 Vulcan out of it. Too bad Gil had to wreck it so quickly.

I have a feeling that Lancer breaking Gae Budihe to give Saber the power to use Excalibur is going to come around and bite him in the rear end sooner rather than later. The shot of Caster's death was pretty cool too, with his vision of Jeanne there at the end.

Kariya failing to hurt Tokiomi at all was kinda funny in a pathetic sort of way, but I guess bugs just don;t work well at all vs fire. The flame effect when Tokiomi was burning Kariya looked pretty well done, if a bit weird. Interesting that Kotomine healed Kariya, I guess he just wants to prolong the guy's suffering or something.
I dunno.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

In case theres anyone here who knows: Do countermeasure flares actually look all pixy-dust-ish like that? I know they were altered by Berserker's NP, but I was always under the impression those type of flares were like, little fireball looking things. Not that I had a problem with it, but it was still a bit strange looking.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Sanguinia posted:

In case theres anyone here who knows: Do countermeasure flares actually look all pixy-dust-ish like that? I know they were altered by Berserker's NP, but I was always under the impression those type of flares were like, little fireball looking things. Not that I had a problem with it, but it was still a bit strange looking.

It was flares in the book, they changed it to chaff in the anime. No idea why.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

jonjonaug posted:

Probably because someone actually checked what flares look like for the anime and realized that Gil would immediately shoot them all down. They are small, but not that small.

hakkart
Jul 22, 2011

by exmarx
There is only one thing I think needs to be said about this episode.

Kotomine. That Grin. It caused chills.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

hakkart posted:

There is only one thing I think needs to be said about this episode.

Kotomine. That Grin. It caused chills.

Well, with both of the serial killer duo out of the picture, someone has to pick up the slack by adopting a socially unacceptable hobby like basking in the misery of others.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
This series is great and really entertaining, but the latest episode had the most amazing sequence of events I think I've ever seen in any form of media: a man casts a fireball at another man, and that other man is hit by it and burns. This may be a unique event in the history of fiction. No blocking, no magic resistance, nothing. A man realistically responds to being engulfed by a fireball, and it's the most memorable scene in a show that features King Arthur Nuking Cthulhu.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

jonjonaug posted:

Apparently, the real life F-15 has both flares and chaff. So using chaff instead of flares to take down Vimana still works.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

GhostStalker posted:

Apparently, the real life F-15 has both flares and chaff. So using chaff instead of flares to take down Vimana still works.

Well, yeah. If you're going to give destructive properties to passive weaponry, you might as well give it to whatever has the most spread. My question is whether the animators actually took that into consideration, or they just didn't know the difference and drew whatever looked coolest.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
New episode

I had actually forgotten about Sola being Lancer's new Master. :v:

edit: Well, that didn't last very long. :gonk:

Marin Karin fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 21, 2012

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

New episode:

Kiritsugu :stare: :stare: :stare:

That was awesome.

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...

Marin Karin posted:

New episode

I had actually forgotten about Sola being Lancer's new Master. :v:

edit: Well, that didn't last very long. :gonk:

whelp, team kiritsugu's take on this is quite heavy handed right? right? :v:

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Skwerl posted:

Badda bing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Goddamn, when Lancer was slowly realizing what happened to him, I got really misty-eyed. If Emiya plays during the last episode, it's going to destroy me - I just know it.

I thought there were going to be two more episodes before that happened. And I know complaining about the show not using the old soundtrack is getting tiresome, but they really should have used Lancer's theme just for this episode.

Skwerl posted:

Well played. :golfclap:

• Locked thread