Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jmcrofts posted:

They've been doing this for ages, it's really weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-7suefXOTA
I felt like I was listening to the Bizarro Edit of The Chronic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I dicked around with Phoenix Wright a bit last night. I wish the Press the Witness assist came out a little farther, like Tatsu and Shopping Cart. It comes out a little too far back for it to let me continue Wolverine combos midscreen or use as a great lockdown assist.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
Just ran some matches with Taskmaster/Trish/Doom against my friend's Spencer/Wright/Dante team. He won about 80% of the matches but I'm pretty satisfied with my team–my biggest fault was not knowing good BnBs for the first two characters, since I picked them up pretty recently.

What are some ways to get in with Taskmaster that aren't Shield Charge?

GoodCleanFun
Jan 28, 2004

Groghammer posted:

Just ran some matches with Taskmaster/Trish/Doom against my friend's Spencer/Wright/Dante team. He won about 80% of the matches but I'm pretty satisfied with my team–my biggest fault was not knowing good BnBs for the first two characters, since I picked them up pretty recently.

What are some ways to get in with Taskmaster that aren't Shield Charge?

Mighty swing xx aim master works well especially if covered by plasma beam. Check out recent videos of josh wong at the break. He's been using taskmaster/doom/wesker.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Groghammer posted:

My favorite Task BnB was the first I learned in vanilla that carries over to Ultimate. It's super easy to hit confirm and dishes out a nice chunk of damage.

c.M, H, spidey swing, j.MM, spidey swing, j.MMH, land, shield skills, S, sj.MMHS, land, air down arrows(qcf+H)xx air legion arrow (qcf+MH)

I think you can add another spidey swing after the first S, but this is a very simplified version. If you have the right assist you can extend the combo after the first air arrows and land another shield skills. Task's c.M also has a pretty long range, it's good to throw out after a j.H or cancel it from a ground dash with an assit covering.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

The Crusher posted:

My favorite Task BnB was the first I learned in vanilla that carries over to Ultimate. It's super easy to hit confirm and dishes out a nice chunk of damage.

c.M, H, spidey swing, j.MM, spidey swing, j.MMH, land, shield skills, S, sj.MMHS, land, air down arrows(qcf+H)xx air legion arrow (qcf+MH)

I think you can add another spidey swing after the first S, but this is a very simplified version. If you have the right assist you can extend the combo after the first air arrows and land another shield skills. Task's c.M also has a pretty long range, it's good to throw out after a j.H or cancel it from a ground dash with an assit covering.

You can totally add another swing after the first S. My very similar vanilla holdover combo looks like this:

c.M H Swing j.MM swing j.MMS (the timing on this is a little wonky, if you can't get it use H)Shield charge S sj.MM Swing MHS qcf+H xx qcf+MH

On that last MHS, you need to cancel the H into the S before the H gets a second hit, otherwise they'll roll out.

Also Groghammer, these might be kind of tricky for you to do right now, but take a look at this loving amazing video that someone in the thread posted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCa-ZuzHI6Y. These are some trickier but really excellent BnBs for pretty much any situation

Also, to answer your previous question:

Spidey Swing xx arrows is safe-ish, especially if you have someone covering you. Be careful using it, though, a good player can jump and airthrow you if you can't keep them in blockstun

Shield Charge is probably your best way to get in. Two things about Shield Charge. One, it's affected by character momentum, so if you dash and use it you'll go rocketing across the screen, or if you backdash and use it you'll barely go any distance at all. Get used to dash-charging, it's an amazing punish. Two, if they block make sure to cancel to either Sting Master (qcf+S) or arrows really early. There are some really irritating gimmicks people can do to gently caress over Shield Charge with constructs with HP, be careful using it against Trish or maybe Strange

Taskmaster's dash is amazing and his crouching L and M have huge range. If you've got someone covering you you can wavedash and try to scoop someone with those

Learn how to do a tick throw and practice doing it out of a dash. Taskmaster doesn't have a lot of mixup options, and that's probably his best one

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 12, 2012

eSKAObar
Sep 27, 2003
Ask me about our everyday low prices!
Task talk: How do you do the OTG arrows into diagonal arrows super? Is it character specific? I cannot get it to come out consistently.

edit: nevermind, just have to hold up after the cinematic and delay the charge on the way down

eSKAObar fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Apr 13, 2012

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!

Fungah! posted:

Taskmaster stuff

Thanks for the tips! The first combo you posted is my go-to right now, but I'm going to work hard at getting the combos in the video down so I can get Taskmaster's full damage potential. My biggest problem right now is getting the j.S in the middle so I'm glad I can use H instead.

I didn't know about the momentum affecting Shield Charge, either, that's really helpful.

Edit: I found this combo, too, which could be super useful (as long as I can use Peekaboo in a combo, of course).

Groghammer fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 12, 2012

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
How do I do the z motion on the directional buttons? Using the analogue stick is difficult on the vita.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Lucinice posted:

How do I do the z motion on the directional buttons? Using the analogue stick is difficult on the vita.

Do f, df, d, df, f. Like a reverse fireball then a fireball. A DP comes out.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Or do two fireball motions at once, Marvel's input buffer is ridiculously fuzzy.

Which is good for me, because I have a severe case of stupidfingers.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Cuchulain posted:

Or do two fireball motions at once, Marvel's input buffer is ridiculously fuzzy.

Which is good for me, because I have a severe case of stupidfingers.

Or do f HCF
Or do f b d b d df f
Or do f 9874236

gently caress marvel's input buffer. :mad:

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
So last night on Bum's stream, he started talking about how there was supposed to be a patch before Final Round that was gonna nerf Wesker, Spencer, Morrigan and Zero, with a handful of buffs as well but he just mentioned those 4. The patch got pulled because Capcom wanted to focus on all the other games coming out and then Seth Killian told them to now delay the patch until after EVO.

What he said does kind of add up with everything else, like how FChamp said Zero was getting nerfed in Summer and then all of those rumors of a 3X Version started.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!

b0lt posted:

Or do f HCF
Or do f b d b d df f
Or do f 9874236

gently caress marvel's input buffer. :mad:

Whenever I do my Deadpool bnb the game always wants to give me teleport instead of Quick Work.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Orange Crush Rush posted:

gonna nerf Wesker, Spencer, Morrigan and Zero

Thank god. Spencer I don't mind that much, but you know.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

quote:

gonna nerf morrigan

I am SO GLAD I'm already droping this game for skullgirls. I mean I hate that poo poo but comon

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

darealkooky posted:

I am SO GLAD I'm already droping this game for skullgirls. I mean I hate that poo poo but comon

Ehh, to be honest Morrigan building meter in Double Mode should not happen. Like if that's all they changed then yeah.

Then again Capcom has gone pretty nuts with nerfs in the past....

...poor Tron and She-Hulk

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Morrigan really, really doesn't need to be adjusted at all.

rocket USA
Sep 14, 2011
The only things I think are really inexcusable are Spencer's up grapple not scaling and Zero's lightning dash crossing up. If they feel the need to mess with game balance, hopefully they use a light hand.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

They should buff the bad characters instead of making the good ones worse! I wonder how extensive this patch is gonna be, and if they are going to make changes to the whole cast or only a handful of characters.

Also please make Iron Man top tier Capcom, thanks.

Ehh, to be honest Morrigan building meter in Double Mode should not happen. Like if that's all they changed then yeah.

Then again Capcom has gone pretty nuts with nerfs in the past....

...poor Tron and She-Hulk

I thought the issue was she built meter faster in this mode because there were more projectiles being fired? I'm probably wrong about this.

SpaceBees fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Apr 15, 2012

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

SpaceBees posted:

They should buff the bad characters instead of making the good ones worse!

Also please make Iron Man top tier Capcom, thanks.

Sorry they heard he won a few games they've decided to take away flight.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

Ybrik posted:

Sorry they heard he won a few games they've decided to take away flight.

They should probably add some more activation frames on Proton Cannon because I use it to hit people out of supers when they try and plow through Unibeam. Can't be having that now can we!

edit: I joke but this is pretty good, Proton Cannon is 3f startup and beats a lot of poo poo people do to get through your Unibeam. Viper EX Seismo, Captain America's Hyper Charging Star, and Wolverine's Berserker Charge all get beaten clean by this.

SpaceBees fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Apr 15, 2012

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Zero needs to stop being able to be safe on everything with buster cancels, Wesker should never have been buffed from Penultimate, and Spencer does need scaling put on some of his moves that lack it. Morrigan I'm okay with currently but if they make meter gain less huge during the mirror super I wouldn't complain.

It should definitely come with some buffs to the poo poo-tier characters in the game, though, to counteract.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

As a longtime Marvel 2 player, hearing that Proton Cannon is now 3frame startup is so loving confusing I don't think I can handle it. :psyduck:

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

Cuchulain posted:

As a longtime Marvel 2 player, hearing that Proton Cannon is now 3frame startup is so loving confusing I don't think I can handle it. :psyduck:

The physical part is, the beam part is 10 frame startup and if you use it on block you will loving die because its -13 or some poo poo.

Proton Cannon is a weird super because you have to hitconfirm it off OTG Smart Bombs, or do close range Unibeam xx Proton Cannon. You have to hit the opponent with the actual cannon part or the beam part will not connect, if you don't you will die because its -13 on block or something. The exception of course is when you DHC into it and it becomes a 1f activation Super that easily combos off of anything else, even other beam/projectile supers. It's a really unorthodox move but you can use it as a giant rear end DP if your opponent is trying to go through your Unibeams on ground level. I sometimes just use it to hit Dante out of his box jump crossups and teleports if he gets over me while I'm shooting Unibeam and it doesn't OS into Repulsar Blast.

Basically just like everything else about Iron Man in this game, its unintuitive and doesn't make any loving sense. Its pretty hilarious hitting people with it that don't know the moves properties though.

SpaceBees fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Apr 15, 2012

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

That's so so confusing, I mained Tony in Marvel2 and dropped him like a sack of bricks in Marvel 3, and never really saw anyone play him. I didn't know they changed Proton so much, I should try to pick him up again.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

Cuchulain posted:

That's so so confusing, I mained Tony in Marvel2 and dropped him like a sack of bricks in Marvel 3, and never really saw anyone play him. I didn't know they changed Proton so much, I should try to pick him up again.

He's better in this game than Vanilla but he's still like B- tier at best. I think he's still a viable character, he just has a really high execution barrier for what you get with him so people think "why bother" and play Magneto instead.

That being said more Tony players are always nice, he's super under repped and hopefully this patch can give him some buffs. In beta UMvC3 he had a faster air dash and could flight cancel his special moves, just let him do that again.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

If you think Morrigan needs to be nerfed, you are insane. She was widely considered an unusable character at high levels prior to ChrisG and Dieminion using her for zoning. It's a legitimate tactic that makes her a formidable addition to any team, for once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwqxB1w72SU

Here's a sick set with Justin Wong using a pretty awesome Spiderman/Felicia/Iron Fist team. It gets extra hype against Fanatiq in the last 1/3rd

Corn Nuts
Jul 16, 2003

Pillbug

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

If you think Morrigan needs to be nerfed, you are insane. She was widely considered an unusable character at high levels prior to ChrisG and Dieminion using her for zoning. It's a legitimate tactic that makes her a formidable addition to any team, for once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwqxB1w72SU

Here's a sick set with Justin Wong using a pretty awesome Spiderman/Felicia/Iron Fist team. It gets extra hype against Fanatiq in the last 1/3rd

Too much lag in that video; here's a better quality: http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/314818606

Fanatiq seems to have improved quite a bit.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

SpaceBees posted:

They should buff the bad characters instead of making the good ones worse!

This is only true if the top characters have varied and interesting strategies, don't take this analogy too seriously but nobody would ever balance ST by bringing every character up to Akuma's level.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

Mio Bison posted:

This is only true if the top characters have varied and interesting strategies, don't take this analogy too seriously but nobody would ever balance ST by bringing every character up to Akuma's level.

Its a pretty bad analogy. Don't really understand why characters like She Hulk, Hsien Ko, and Phoenix Wright need to be complete trash. A lot of characters that are mid or low tier could be better in this game with certain changes. I really don't understand why that's a bad thing. This isn't what's going to happen, of course, although lower tier characters will get buffed Capcom will completely poo poo on Morrigan, Wesker, and Zero. I really don't think Morrigan needs a nerf, the other two I wouldn't mind.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
It's not a bad idea to buff bad characters, but the usual rule of thumb that buffing is a better balancing tool than nerfing doesn't apply so much when your top tier is as boring as Zero and Wesker.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

See, the thing with Zero is that there's a very fine line between powerful and worthless. To put him onto a more even level with others would require a level of care on Capcom's part that I'm pretty sure they just don't have. It's not like the members of the top tier can't single hit kill or anything.

I won't say that they don't need some changes, though, just without doing a repeat of last time (please don't turn zero into tron capcom)

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 15, 2012

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

I think its universally agreed that Wesker and Zero need nerfs. They also will probably end up fixing the Viewtiful Joe Shocking Pink assist and the unscaled Spencer grapple wire.

And hopefully give Iron Man a better ADDF, more hitstun on his air normals, and allow him to flight cancel special moves again.

SpaceBees fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 15, 2012

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
There was a super awesome MODOK player at that charity tournament last night - I think he beat Combofiend?

Post cool videos of under-played characters please!!

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

There was a super awesome MODOK player at that charity tournament last night - I think he beat Combofiend?

That was RoyalFlush, you can probably find videos of him easily.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Wouldn't Zero go back to being the good but not OP character he was in Vanilla by making his special moves not buster cancelable. Maybe make it like 5 frame startup or something too idk.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

He also lost to an 8 year old :laugh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWwkm9SeS1w

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/umvc3-srk-tier-list-theory-discussion-summer-slam-may-5th.152312/page-351#post-6805727

There's a whole bunch of them.

It warms my heart to see how popular Iron Man is in Japan. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

So last night on Bum's stream, he started talking about how there was supposed to be a patch before Final Round that was gonna nerf Wesker, Spencer, Morrigan and Zero, with a handful of buffs as well but he just mentioned those 4. The patch got pulled because Capcom wanted to focus on all the other games coming out and then Seth Killian told them to now delay the patch until after EVO.

What he said does kind of add up with everything else, like how FChamp said Zero was getting nerfed in Summer and then all of those rumors of a 3X Version started.

It seems like good policy to wait until after EVO. It makes sense for patches/new versions of games to be coordinated with tournament seasons.

I'm pretty happy with that nerf list.

Spacebees I would like to see some help for Iron Man as well but my biggest problem with him is that KK too hard for me. I can't do it consistently. I've tried him out a little bit without KK but his c.M s.H S chain doesn't always connect and can get him murdered on whiff. IM would be a lot of fun if his execution were a little easier or his launcher were a little less rear end. The kind of stuff you're asking for I don't feel like you'll get.

• Locked thread