Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

IceG posted:

I got the Mount and Blade collection for cheap yesterday, I saw there are a few tips for Warband on beforeiplay but anyone got advice for the other two?

Are you supposed to play them consecutively for the story or anything like that?

There is no real story to speak of. Basically you can just play Warband, as it contains pretty much everything the original has plus a bunch of new features and multiplayer. Also it's a good idea to download the mod "Native Expansion", it doesn't change any of the basics but adds a lot of comfort-functions, more diverse quests and deeper unit-trees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

IceG posted:

I got the Mount and Blade collection for cheap yesterday, I saw there are a few tips for Warband on beforeiplay but anyone got advice for the other two?

Are you supposed to play them consecutively for the story or anything like that?
They're not really story heavy games. You want to skip the first one since the second does basically everything better. Start with the second or third depending on which setting you like more.

And (this is on the wiki but bears repeating): Master horse combat. It seems hard at first, and staying on foot can get you relatively easy results at low levels. But you can't really become a force of moving death on the battlefield until you get your ride-by attacks down.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Mount and Blade is all about emergent story. You do whatever the hell you want and deal with the consequences of it from there. My one tip would be to avoid pissing off any of the factions early in the game because nothing sucks more than having to run away from 100+ armies all the time without a 100+ army of your own. Faction choice is also pretty important because it will dictate which of your troops will form the bulk of your army and be most readily available to you. I prefer Khergits because I can have a giant mounted horde ala Genghis Khan but they are weaker in sieges due to lack of horses. Generally, Nords have the best infantry, Vaegirs the best archers, Swadians the best cavalry, Rhodoks the best crossbowmen, and Sarranids are kind of a jack of all trades with good knights, archers and infantry. You can recruit forces from any faction but if you are using them against an enemy of their own faction, they are far more likely to desert. I learned this the hard way when half of my army split on me in the middle of an important siege because they were Nord Huscarls and I was attacked a Nord town.
When it is explained to you, the combat can seem confusing but it is really intuitive in practice. Basically, speed is the most important thing. Even on foot, this is true. The speed that your weapon is going relative to the target grants a speed bonus or malus. If you are galloping at high speed into a stationary enemy, your weapon will do massive damage and likely kill them immediately. But if your weapon glances off them at a strange angle, you won't do that much damage. This goes for you too. Galloping at high speed directly into a waiting spear point or axe will, depending on armor and difficulty, kill or injure you badly. Horse archery can be difficult to master but you will be a lord of death if you can figure it out. And also try not to gallop into anything at a steep angle because it increases the chances that your horse will rear up, which immobilizes you for a few seconds that could result in somebody putting a lance in your rear end.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Batman: Arkham Asylum

- When fireworks start going off in the sky, you're at the final part of the game. That's your chance to head around and clean up trophies.

Batman: Arkham City

- The last two upgrades that get you Riddler trophies are an item that can make platforms in water and the master encryption key for your hacking tool. After that, you shouldn't need any more items to pick up trophies. Use some creative thinking!
- When you get the item that can make platforms, spend a while exploring and getting as many trophies as you can. Some Catwoman trophies require you to have opened areas as Batman.
- You can break flimsy walls by gliding into them; you don't need any specific items to do that.
- You can zoom in to selectively detonate explosive gel; don't be like me and assume selective detonations come later.
- You can't put gel on overhead walls; it's either something you'll come to later from the other side or there's a path around it.
- If you can't find a riddle marked on your map no matter what you do, it's probably a place to view a question mark.
- If you can't find electricity to fly a remote batarang through to hit a fusebox, you might need to wait until you get an item that can shoot electricity directly at it.

On a non-trophy hunting note:
- The quick-fire grapple -> punch followup is very useful and abusable - it's easily interruptable to counter and can shoot you across rooms. Without the followup it puts the mook into a pretty long stumble animation, too. And it can disarm!
- The triple cloak stun is the easiest way to get riddler mooks out of the way while you defeat the rest of the crowd. Be careful, though - it sucks to accidentally take them down when there are only two enemies left.
-

al-azad
May 28, 2009

flatluigi posted:

Batman: Arkham Asylum

- When fireworks start going off in the sky, you're at the final part of the game. That's your chance to head around and clean up trophies.

You can still explore the island after finishing. The only missable achievement/trophy I'm aware of is party crasher(?). When you enter the long hallway of non-hostile thugs you have to beat them up right then and there.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

al-azad posted:

You can still explore the island after finishing. The only missable achievement/trophy I'm aware of is party crasher(?). When you enter the long hallway of non-hostile thugs you have to beat them up right then and there.

I remember going into that hallways the first time I played AA and thinking "man these enemies look pretty chilled out, it would look badass if I just walked down the hallway with them cheering at the side". Yeah turns out the obvious reaction was actaully the right one. Beat the poo poo out of them for points.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

flatluigi posted:

- You can't put gel on overhead walls
Oh, you most certainly can; you're actually required to do so at one point in order to progress through the game. It'd be more accurate to state that you need to be directly beneath the wall in question, within touch range, to put gel on it. Usually it's quite obvious as to whether this is possible to achieve, though.

Then again, this comes up...twice, if I remember right, in the entire game: once during the main story in the Museum and once for a Riddler trophy in the Industrial District.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

al-azad posted:

They were non-hostile? Oops.

There's also another achievement you can miss, when you have to go rescuing people hanging off ledges in one of the asylum levels after the Joker injected some sort of gas. I think it's called Leave No Man Behind, but I forget. It's pretty early in the game, though, and it's pretty obvious since at least a few of them are in very obvious positions.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Speaking of Arkham City, I'm finding a bunch of places where steam is blocking my access to riddler trophies. Is there an upgrade that helps me with this, or is there simply always a way to turn the steam off?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Morpheus posted:

Speaking of Arkham City, I'm finding a bunch of places where steam is blocking my access to riddler trophies. Is there an upgrade that helps me with this, or is there simply always a way to turn the steam off?

There is an upgrade. How far into the game are you?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
An upgrade.

A FREEEEEEZE IS COMING.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Scientastic posted:

There is an upgrade. How far into the game are you?

Just rescued Freeze. Guess I'll be getting it soon then. As long as I know it's an upgrade, I can ignore them until I get it and not waste time trying to get them fruitlessly.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green
Edit: Oh my god I posted this in the wrong thread and left it for almost a day. :blush:

Susat fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Apr 11, 2012

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
So, I been putting some time into Dungeon's of Dreadmor and like it so far, but I'm having one major issue. I found the option to increse the size of the UI, but my eyes are not what they use to be(lol im an old man) and I have the hardest time figuring out what gear to use as I can't really see the stat icons.

Is there any way to enlarge the menus?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

They were non-hostile? Oops.

There's also another achievement you can miss, when you have to go rescuing people hanging off ledges in one of the asylum levels after the Joker injected some sort of gas. I think it's called Leave No Man Behind, but I forget. It's pretty early in the game, though, and it's pretty obvious since at least a few of them are in very obvious positions.

Don't apologize. You did the right thing breaking their bones.

And yes, I forgot about that achievement. You get a generous time limit before they fall.

blue font
Feb 28, 2011
I'm thinking of starting a playthrough of Dark Sun: Shattered Lands soon. I've picked up the game once or twice before, but never made it too far before burning out. I love the setting and the tactical combat, though.

Anything in particular I should know before I begin? I'm wondering especially about any recommended parties I should be running. As far as minor psionics, should I give each character a different school, or is there a certain branch that's preferred?

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Played Fable 3 a while ago, playing Fable 2 now. I hear it's actually a good game so I'm excited. Should I mix-max my goodness/evilness like in Mass Effect, or can I just have fun? Also I read already about real estate for money so I know about that, but any other general tips?

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Anything for Men of War: Vietnam?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

IceG posted:

People have sort of said this but not outright: Warband is a straight up upgrade of the original, with exactly the same plot (such as it is). The only reason to still play the original is for certain mods that haven't been ported to Warband yet.

With Fire and Sword is a weird spin-off based on a book series in a real-world setting. Totally unrelated to the other games, the setting is pretty unique compared to what usually is put in games but it may or may not grab you. It's pretty dry aside from that. It features gunpowder, so you'll need to be more careful in combat as a lucky shot from the distance can knock your rear end out

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Anything for Neverwinter Nights 2? I've already seen the modding thread, so I'm more curious about story and gameplay. Are there any classes I should avoid? How much variety am I going to encounter in terms of party-joinable NPCs? Is there a way to populate my party with custom-created NPCs like in Baldur's Gate, or am I stuck with whatever the game throws at me?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Astfgl posted:

Anything for Neverwinter Nights 2? I've already seen the modding thread, so I'm more curious about story and gameplay. Are there any classes I should avoid? How much variety am I going to encounter in terms of party-joinable NPCs? Is there a way to populate my party with custom-created NPCs like in Baldur's Gate, or am I stuck with whatever the game throws at me?

The wiki says that rogues and archers, at least in the original campaign, are badly underpowered. Given that it's D&D 3.5, I'm going to guess that casters, especially priests and druids, are hilariously overpowered, if you feel like breaking the game.

I have also heard that:
- the original campaign is good but starts out really slowly
- Mask of the Betrayer is the best overall, the most story-focused
- Storm of Zehir is more combat-focused

But someone who's actually played the game for more than twenty minutes can probably help more. :)

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

ToxicFrog posted:

The wiki says that rogues and archers, at least in the original campaign, are badly underpowered. Given that it's D&D 3.5, I'm going to guess that casters, especially priests and druids, are hilariously overpowered, if you feel like breaking the game.

I have also heard that:
- Mask of the Betrayer is the best overall, the most story-focused
- Storm of Zehir is more combat-focused

But someone who's actually played the game for more than twenty minutes can probably help more. :)

Eh, you're pretty much on the right track. There's a lot of undead enemies in the original Neverwinter Nights 2 (not really a spoiler or anything). Rogues can't get sneak bonuses against undead, whereas clerics kick all kinds of undead rear end.

That said, I played Neverwinter Nights 2 knowing nothing about 3.5 at the time and still beat it as a rogue. It's not that hard a game, if you build a diverse party.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

ToxicFrog posted:

I have also heard that:

It doesn't just start slowly, the pacing is glacial throughout the whole game. Fortunately, the story gets good after act 1 and the writing is excellent throughout. I still gave up about 75% in because it all went so slowly. The gameplay isn't the game's strong suit, and the dungeon segments were so long that I lost interest. Obsidian realized that in Mask of the Betrayer, and shifted more game time away from combat and towards story and dialogue, which is why the expansion is so great.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Everything ToxicFrog said is true. Avoid being a rogue unless you specifically want the skills, as the vast majority of major enemies are undead and thus immune to sneak attack. You get a perfectly servicable rogue anyway. Classes are well represented but the only divine caster you'll have access to is a druid, so being a cleric is a good plan, especially if you don't want to drag around one of the most mopey and kind of dull characters in the game.

The base game has a wide variety of characters but some of them play off against each other naturally, and if you side with one you'll tend to grind down the other with it. MoB gives you fewer choices but more capable characters overall; they form a solid party and the only thing you're really missing is a pure beefy fighter type. (There is one, but you may not get them and they takes up two party slots.) SoZ lets you choose your entire party Icewind Dale-style.

MoB follows on immediately from the base campaign and is completely awesome, though getting through the main campaign can be a slog at times. SoZ is separate, but assumes knowledge of the events of the game.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Also the game has a lot of disease and poison related negative status effects so classes that are immune to them (not just high saves because you WILL fail one eventually) are good choices as well. Sure you can just rest to get rid of many of those effects, but it can be a detriment during the fight before you rest.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Ok, any advice for Theme Hospital? GoG.com just got it and I heard it was a classic so I grabbed it. The ingame tutorial didn't cover much and I feel in over my head!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Ok, any advice for Theme Hospital? GoG.com just got it and I heard it was a classic so I grabbed it. The ingame tutorial didn't cover much and I feel in over my head!

The patients will check in at the reception desk, then they will alternate between GP visits and diagnostic rooms/machines until the GP gets a handle on the patient and sends them off for treatment in the correct room.

- A Consultant-grade GP has an eagle eye for illnesses and may identify the correct treatment at a glance.

- A good majority of different conditions will be cured in the Pharmacy, so make sure you have one close to the GP's office(s).

- Arrange corridor seating so that patients sit close to radiators to save on heating. They also like plants, so plonk down a whole lot of those.

- You need two surgeons to perform operations, so dip into that staff pool early in mission 2 and get at least three competent ones.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Astfgl posted:

I would highly suggest modifying your Creaturespeed.2da file (I think with a text editor? It's been a while) and make it so that your movement speed is faster. Like at least twice as fast. I found the default movement speed to be unplayable, personally. The downside is you outrun your party members on large maps.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Poacher.

* You'll get a way to hunt down whatever secrets you're missing right before the end.

* Don't bother grinding money, you'll have way more than enough by the end.

* Your first two purchases from the shop should be the one that lets you trade in grenades for health and one that makes money drawn to you, in that order. After that, get the max health and grenade ups. Everything else is kind of secondary.

* Once you're set loose, start at the oil rig for swimming, then the forest for the double jump, then up to the mines. This is the fastest way to get the underwater/double damage shot. It's as useful as it sounds, and attempting to do the underwater section without it is hell. Save the dark caves for absolutely last.

* It's not explicitly stated, but you can touch the guys in the dark caves without getting hurt as long as your light is off. Walk where they walk, it's guaranteed to be safe, but pay careful attention to where they turn around. It's either a wall, or a pit. Don't jump around in the dark, either, there's a lot of spiky ceilings.

* The Bad Ending tells you how to get the Good Ending, and the Good Ending hints at how to get the Secret Ending. Don't overthink it.

* Yes, the secret boss is that hard.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 17, 2012

Wisp
May 17, 2010

scamtank posted:

The patients will check in at the reception desk, then they will alternate between GP visits and diagnostic rooms/machines until the GP gets a handle on the patient and sends them off for treatment in the correct room.

- A Consultant-grade GP has an eagle eye for illnesses and may identify the correct treatment at a glance.

- A good majority of different conditions will be cured in the Pharmacy, so make sure you have one close to the GP's office(s).

- Arrange corridor seating so that patients sit close to radiators to save on heating. They also like plants, so plonk down a whole lot of those.

- You need two surgeons to perform operations, so dip into that staff pool early in mission 2 and get at least three competent ones.

In addition to this:

- After a couple of missions, start planning for multiple GP offices near the entrance, even if you only build one to begin with, or only use one. Set your second GP office, if you have it, to have a maximum queue length of 0. (You get to the queue window for a room by clicking on its door.) That way, you have a back-up GP office you can open up if the queue for your main GP office is getting long. (You can redirect people in a queue to a different office by clicking and dragging them out of the queue window and onto the room you want them to go to.)

- Get an operating theatre as quickly as you can, as surgical procedures are very profitable.

- Try to have a pharmacy close to the helipad after a couple of missions - many medical emergencies are for pharmacies.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Colon V posted:

Poacher.

I've never heard of this. What is it?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Dragonrah posted:

I've never heard of this. What is it?
A Metroidvania by the Zero Punctuation guy.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
So I had Arcanum gifted to me from GoG, and I checked out the wiki. It says to get a bunch of patches, but when I try to run it, I says I need a 64 bit version for windows. Is there such a thing?

Sexual Aluminum fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 15, 2012

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

Sexual Aluminum posted:

So I had Arcanum gifted to me from GoG, and I checked out the wiki. It says to get a bunch of patches, but when I try to run it, I says I need a 64 bit version for windows. Is there such a thing?

Here's a goon made compilation of all the mods you might possibly need: here ya go
(From seorin's awesome CRPG thread)

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Brimruk posted:

Here's a goon made compilation of all the mods you might possibly need: here ya go

I... I...

I think I love you man.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Brimruk posted:

I was just coming to ask this you are wonderful :allears:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Brimruk posted:

No, I must finish Baldur's Gate 2 first... can't start a new RPG...

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Fez
- Take notes. There's a glyph language for letters, numbers, and inputs and you'll want to puzzle out all three to get the most out of the game.
- Rooms with a small obelisk with a floating cube in them are only solvable in New Game +, so don't worry too much about them.
- When you unlock a new cube room you'll want to go there first - the areas behind are small and tend to have important information in them.
- Generally just explore everywhere you can, the game's huge and has a fantastic amount of interesting areas to discover.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

I would change your second tip to "You can't solve every puzzle until New Game +" because the way it's worded now gives away the solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.
Anything for Chantelise: A Tale of Two Sisters? There's nothing in the thread or wiki. The game looks pretty straightforward, but I figured I may as well check if there is any easily missed content or any obtuse game mechanics.