Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?

Bistromatic posted:

I think we have a winner, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Jesus, and I thought suggesting Dmitri-9 would be an evil idea.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Bistromatic posted:

I love you a little, right now.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Have you checked out the morph pool rules I posted up-thread? You can also see them here.

This is a brilliant idea. I'm using this from now on. Thank you.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
If you were building a Future-C130 gunship, how would you go about it, mechanics wise, in EP?

We're gatecrashing on an earthlike world and need to get around in a hurry, also on our last mission the opposition had a gunship and if they had fought instead of run we'd be in trouble.

Anyways, we need something capable of hauling a crasher truck, a mobile base, 20 odd biomorphs, and can be broken down to fit through the gate and reassembled on the other side.

Budget is 25000 creds/favors worth that can go up to 15000 more if needed.

Starting with the small jet [Expensive] with the Used modifier (-25%=15000) Plus a vertithrust/VTOL movment augmentation (1000) what would y'all put into it assuming it was going to be a main source of mobility and defense?

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Apr 14, 2012

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.
The second issue of The Eye had rules for designing Heavy Weapons and Crew-Served Weapons.

The Eye - Issue 2 posted:

To design a heavy weapon, first, choose a standard weapon for your base template. Then, increase the AP rating, Damage Value, and ranges by 50% (round up or down to fit your game style, I suggest rounding down), and reduce their ammo capacity by a third (except machineguns and plasma weapons, which should stay the same). Finally, increase the weapon’s cost by one level.

The Eye - Issue 2 posted:

Start with a standard weapon as above, but double the AP
rating, Damage Value, and ranges (round normally),while reducing ammunition capacity to half that of the standard weapon (except for machineguns and plasma weapons, which should still stay the same). Next, just increase their cost by two levels, and you’re done.

Heavy Weapons are man-portable, while Crew-Served ones aren't (unless you have ridiculous SOM). These might presently be too expensive for you at present, but it's something for later.

As for the current availability... Here's my shopping list:

-Heavy Armour. (-5000)
-Two Machine Guns and a Sniper Rifle. Machine guns upgraded with laser sights and zero ammo, sniper rifle equipped with laser targeting and laser ammo. Both are equipped with extended magazines and Gyromounts. (-20,250)
-Seeker pistol, loaded with Concussion and Gas missiles. Equipped with a smart magazine and extended magazine. (-2,250)
-Assorted bots and AIs [Vehicle AI, Security AI, servitor bot, three saucers, and two guardian angels armed with standard heavy pistols] (-13,500)

Total cost: 41,000 credits.

Yes, I know that's over-budget, but I'll provide justifications for each system and you can cut away as needed.

-Armour: It's armour. That should be self-explanatory.

-Basic weapons load-out: These weapons are the best you can probably get for something devised with a fire-support role (as was the case with a C-130). It could possibly hold its own in the air, as well, but this setup is primarily for it unloading on ground targets.

-Missiles: These are a defensive/secondary offensive system. The concussion missiles act as an interceptor, detonating any enemy missiles before they get too close, while the gas missiles are good for both providing cover for escaping allies and hindering pinned enemies.

-AIs/Bots: These aren't necessary, strictly speaking, but they immensely improve your team's capabilities. A Vehicle AI means the plane can be autonomous, allowing you to set its course in advance or call for a pick-up, while a security AI means that it can also provide fire support while doing so. The minimum crew capacity falls noticeably. Saucers, meanwhile, act as advance scouts, patrolling an area before you even need to think of getting close and ensuring there's no incoming hostiles. Guardian angels, meanwhile, can protect the ship on the ground, allowing you to use it for a pick-up-and-go mission more readily.

So, yeah, that's the ideal shopping list. Just armour and guns is a good choice but, if you can find a way to do a fun side-quest to get yourself the AIs and bots, I'd recommend it. It vastly improves your functionality.

Edit: Wait, did you mean the total budget is 25/40,000, or just the upgrade budget?

Axelgear fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 14, 2012

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Yeah, 25000k-40k is the total allowed, including the initial 16,000 investment, so uh, in actuality its 9-24 k at the absolute max.

Re: AI: don't vehicles come with that as standard?

The armor suggestion is good. I might go with light armor since its only [Moderate] and at this price range 4000 creds is a big deal. The machinegun and rocket launcher pods are a good idea. I might have to go with just one MG due to budgetary concerns and the GM dropped a hint about putting it on a mount that can be hand fired so a PC can act as a door gunner instead of just huddliing in the fuselage for duration of battle.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
This thing us supposed to be your first base on this planet to, right? I'm assuming this campaign is going to be "Welcome to Urf; now let's fight it out to see who will get a nice planet". In which case this you're on this ball of mud for the long haul.

Get a good fabber, and the bluprints for...
>More fabbers
>Ammo
>Cheap Case morphs using local materials
>Morphs that don't suck using local materials
>Construction and Excavation tools (In the right neighborhoods, these will be open source.)
>Basic Medical Equipment (Same goes for this. Specialized meds and bacta-tanks will probably cost an arm and a leg, but Butcher's Tools, narcotics and cotton are pretty basic.)
>Furniture
>Party food (Probably open source everywhere, good for morale when used sparingly.)

If no-one in the party has the skills to make new blueprints, either pop for the skills or a dedicated AI. Same goes for basic construction/architecture.

The idea behind this is that you can find an isolated location and have a bunch of delta forks in case morphs -supervised by a Beta- build you a base to fall back to that is a lot more comfy than your winged mobile-home, but also has a full reload for all your weapons and fuel tanks.

Of course, you may already have a stronghold/shelter on planet, in which case this is all redundant.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

Yeah, I sorta forgot about most things having AI...

Also, door-gunning is a bit odd if you can have your characters remotely control the weapons. Might be best, in that line of thought, to use smart links instead of laser sights (raising the cost but also increasing overall safety). That being said, it doesn't hurt to have a gun mount in the doorway to the craft so people can provide covering fire.

So, assuming we're working within the 9k price range...

-7,500 for a single smart-linked machine gun with a gyrostabilizer, extended mag, and smart ammo.

-1,000 for light armour.

The following are optional packages to toy with the additional 15,000.

-Missile Package [Already described] (2,250)
-Sensor Package [360 Degree Vision, Lidar, Radar, Smart Dust Hive, Super-Wide Camera] (2,750)
-Comms Security Package [Miniature Radio Farcaster, Radio Booster] (500 + 250 per farcaster receiver)
-Bot Observation Package [Two Saucers and the blueprint for Specks] (1,500)
-Bot Security Package [Two Guardian Angels with heavy pistols] (2,500)

Combined cost: 9,750.

The sensor package makes the plane really useful for keeping tabs on a wide area, either directly or by seeding it with sizable quantities of smart dust. Comms Security means that no-one can hack your vehicle. The two bot packages are more or less what's provided before, though with the addition of the blueprint for making Specks; great for seeding an area.

I also recommend putting a cornucopia machine in the ship if you have a spare available. Don't want to do so if it's your only one, but it's a great addition otherwise.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Moto42 posted:

This thing us supposed to be your first base on this planet to, right? I'm assuming this campaign is going to be "Welcome to Urf; now let's fight it out to see who will get a nice planet". In which case this you're on this ball of mud for the long haul.

It's actually basically uninhabited so far :B

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Also, the other PCs are trying to sneak on and off the exoplanet to find out why Omnicor paid the Factors for the gate address, not establish a military base!

I was mostly trying to hint that this isn't much of a tactical combat game so the other players didn't want to spot him to cover the gunship in weapons.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Ettin posted:

Also, the other PCs are trying to sneak on and off the exoplanet to find out why Omnicor paid the Factors for the gate address, not establish a military base!

I was mostly trying to hint that this isn't much of a tactical combat game so the other players didn't want to spot him to cover the gunship in weapons.

Anything worth buying is worth completely covering in extremely dangerous and illegal weaponry.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

I was putting together an interrogation character for fun. Hacking seems like a better choice than psychosurgery.

Psychosurgery interrogation takes about one week. On the other hand, if you have the stack, you can always forcibly dump the ego into an unmeshed cyber brain. Memory hacking is much faster, but takes a bigger skill investment. Is there something I'll missing?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Ettin (my GM) is right though, it is a complete waste of money, I acknowledge this.

However, Geekake is right as well, both OOC and IC my character regards being able to travel to exotic foreign locations literally thousands of lightyears away from other people for the potential opportunity to detonate hillrious amounts of ordinance everywhere to be just about the greatest thing ever.

Axelgear's proposition looks awesome, since it turns it halfway into an AWACS as well, which DOES have justifiable use on a scouting mission on a new planet. Also, like the crasher truck and mobile base, barring disaster, this isn't the only gatecrashing expedition it'll be used on. (Its an investment in the future, honest!)

Thanks all! Any more thoughts would be appreciated.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

Glad to be of service, Ronwayne. Personally, I think having a vehicle that grants you rapid in-and-out capabilities and provides you with supreme aerial surveillance to be excellent as an investment. I look forward to hearing any stories that come out of it.

BrainParasite posted:

I was putting together an interrogation character for fun. Hacking seems like a better choice than psychosurgery.

Psychosurgery interrogation takes about one week. On the other hand, if you have the stack, you can always forcibly dump the ego into an unmeshed cyber brain. Memory hacking is much faster, but takes a bigger skill investment. Is there something I'll missing?

The time frame is the GM's discretion. If you're doing pulling-fingernails-style torture, the time frame is measured in a few hours. If you're doing that, combined with sleep deprivation and other psychological torture, the time frame is extended to the recommended week or more.

For all intents and purposes, psychosurgery torture is the same as regular torture, except it involves using direct neural stimulation, VR simulation, and monitoring neural feedback to elicit the most potent fear/pain responses, making it significantly more refined as a tool.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

BrainParasite posted:

Be an async, use Deep Scan. Literally this is one of the few tricks that asyncs legitimately have that they do better then anyone else.

Ronwayne please remember we are Firewall, not a full gatecrashing organization. We visit exoplanets clandestinely to remove x-threats, not to claim them in our name and call as much attention to ourselves as possible.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

I can't afford another $35 right now you assholes, but I hope the writers read this thread.

The only reason I bought a copy of their "game" was this thread and RPPR's LPs.
I greatly appreciated their putting the PDFs out there for free, but flipping through a PDF to look stuff up is still impractical. The discussion here and laughing my rear end off at ClockworkJoe and friends was what finally tipped the scales and made them another sale.

Just wanted to give credit where it's due.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

nm

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Apr 15, 2012

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

BrainParasite posted:

So, your trying to mess with code you don't remotely understand.
Yes this is totally going to go well.

What your missing, is that hacking doesn't give your character an understanding of how brains function. So how do you know how what to look for when you open up the code?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

What your missing, is that hacking doesn't give your character an understanding of how brains function. So how do you know how what to look for when you open up the code?

I think what they were suggesting was that instead of using delicate psychosurgery to do in-depth interrogation, they'd just dump the ego in a cheap unmeshed ego in a room and go to town in an old-fashioned way on them.

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

Flavivirus posted:

I think what they were suggesting was that instead of using delicate psychosurgery to do in-depth interrogation, they'd just dump the ego in a cheap unmeshed ego in a room and go to town in an old-fashioned way on them.

Have you read Altered Carbon by any chance? Minus "an old fashioned way," you just described how psychosurgery works in the Takeshi Kovacs novels. You take the ego into digital space and interact with it there. It's a form of hacking, sure, but you need to understand the machine code you're working with, and in this case the code is in massive parallel and self-correcting in real time. An ordinary hacker isn't going to know which way is up in that mess.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Goggle Fox posted:

Have you read Altered Carbon by any chance? Minus "an old fashioned way," you just described how psychosurgery works in the Takeshi Kovacs novels. You take the ego into digital space and interact with it there. It's a form of hacking, sure, but you need to understand the machine code you're working with, and in this case the code is in massive parallel and self-correcting in real time. An ordinary hacker isn't going to know which way is up in that mess.

Ah, right. I think I misunderstood the situation being proposed. Way I see it, there's three options to interrogate someone whose stack you have;

1) Sleeve the ego in a flat in an interrogation room. Use standard, 20th century interrogation tactics.
2) Put the ego in a virtual interrogation room in a VR world or something, send an interrogator in like in 1 but with the increased capabilities provided by VR (and the utility that you could do this while sitting in a coffee shop or something).
3) Use psychosurgery to poke them right in the qualia to get whatever you want.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Cirno is dead on with Deep Scan - it's quick and when combined with other sleights you can erase the evidence. It's the most straightforward, quickest "interrogation" technique available. The biggest issue is if you're dealing with enemies in synths.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Moto42 posted:

I can't afford another $35 right now you assholes, but I hope the writers read this thread.

The only reason I bought a copy of their "game" was this thread and RPPR's LPs.
I greatly appreciated their putting the PDFs out there for free, but flipping through a PDF to look stuff up is still impractical. The discussion here and laughing my rear end off at ClockworkJoe and friends was what finally tipped the scales and made them another sale.

Just wanted to give credit where it's due.

:haw: Thanks! Caleb (the GM for the Know Evil campaign) and I have talked to the writers of EP and they are aware of RPPR. They list all the AP episodes in the fan resources. At some point we may write official EP material but I haven't heard anything definitive from them. No idea what their plans are at this point.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

It does look like psi (or maybe hacking) would work better in most cases. Psychosurgery only gives an intimidation boost for interrogation.

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

You can specifically hack into the eidetic memory of cyber brains and do a search. I was thinking that would include all the ego's memories, but after reading further, that could go either way.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Cirno is dead on with Deep Scan - it's quick and when combined with other sleights you can erase the evidence. It's the most straightforward, quickest "interrogation" technique available. The biggest issue is if you're dealing with enemies in synths.

Or god help you, you try it on a biomorph and its a synth with a mask.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

I could see terminator morphs being popular. The benefits of being a robot, with a layer of living tissue that means you look/feel mostly like a regular human and get the kind of full tactile feedback that synth simulated senses can't quite match. Just remember to carry around a few peel and stick skin-repair patches.

Just the thing to give your local psycher a headache.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Well, there's no such thing as a "local psyker." Unless you're in Ozma or Firewall (or certain high level, top secret research designations with Cognite), asyncs are considered an urban myth at best, and even if you do know about them, there's no way of identifying them. Sleights are intentionally meant to be subtle and undetected, so the only time you actually "see" something explicit happen is if they're using a sleight on you and you succeed your check against them, or if they're full on exsurgent at which point being a synth doesn't matter because they're creating a miniaturized black hole next to you.

Thankfully I don't think you get feedback or a headache or take damage or anything when attempting to use a sleight on a synthbrain or AGI; it just doesn't work. You go in to use your sleight and there's no connection. You don't even make a check. Which is nice, because the last thing I want to deal with is using a sleight, being told it has no chance of working, and then having to roll stress damage anyways.

( Stress is dumb and it should be mental strain, not physical. )

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 15, 2012

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Asyncs I am guessing are one of the aspects of Eclipse Phase that weren't quite as fleshed out?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

InfiniteJesters posted:

Asyncs I am guessing are one of the aspects of Eclipse Phase that weren't quite as fleshed out?

They are, sorta. They're intentionally kept semi-mysterious because it's dealing with exsurgent stuff, but the book says how they're made and what they can do. And other books give tidbits here and there too, like Gatecrashing giving hints on messing with asyncs every so often when they travel by Pandora Gate.

The main problem is that I think they had a lot more sleights in mind when they wrote it but never got around to making them. More or less all of the combat sleights are just bad, and there are some weird "meta-sleights" that are near worthless because they'll change maybe one or two of your own, which at least hints to me that they had other plans for more sleights that never fell through. I'd say conceptually they fleshed it out rather well, but mechanically fell behind.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

Yeah, Psychic Stab is pretty much utter poo poo.

The best part of non-Exsurgent Psi is the Psi-Chi sleights. They fundamentally alter how a character's mind works and let you play it in all kinds of interesting ways. Combined with the fact that all asyncs are a little bit unhinged, well...

It lets you have some rather unique fun.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Axelgear posted:

Yeah, Psychic Stab is pretty much utter poo poo.

The best part of non-Exsurgent Psi is the Psi-Chi sleights. They fundamentally alter how a character's mind works and let you play it in all kinds of interesting ways. Combined with the fact that all asyncs are a little bit unhinged, well...

It lets you have some rather unique fun.

Deep Scan, subliminal command, cloud memory and ego sense are worth getting psi-gamma for. Subliminal was the key to success in a few of our plans in Know Evil.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

clockworkjoe posted:

Deep Scan, subliminal command, cloud memory and ego sense are worth getting psi-gamma for. Subliminal was the key to success in a few of our plans in Know Evil.

Agreed on all but Cloud Memory. Cloud Memory is great if your GM agrees to play by the spirit if not the actual rules. As it stands now Cloud Memory runs up against a rather serious issue - namely, that everyone already has the life being recorded as they go about things, and between that, their muse, and probably one or two other bits, regaining lost memory is almost literally as easy as watching a videotape of the minutes that are missing. Cloud Memory, to work well, has to disable all of those, too, otherwise it's pointless.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

GM fiat powers go: Clown memory works by fuzzing out the memories associated with a particular event/person/binge, but also inserts mental blocks that make it difficult to think about or understand information pertaining to the specific thing fuzzed out. Someone affected by cloud memory watching a tape of the event would wonder why your using a VHS tape, but would also be prone to ignoring, misinterpreting and/or quickly forgetting about what they have just seen.

You're stack is just a save-state of your brain/mind that is being overwritten constantly with the latest snapshot, so these mental blocks can just follow you from morph to morph because -as far as your stack knows- they are just part of your mind and come along for the ride.

tldr:Don't mind me, I just like coming up with plausible explanations for in-game handwaving.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Moto42 posted:

GM fiat powers go: Clown memory

gently caress yes. Nightmare powers.

BoBtheImpaler
Oct 11, 2002
Dinosaur Gum

Moto42 posted:

GM fiat powers go: Clown memory works by fuzzing out the memories associated with a particular event/person/binge, but also inserts mental blocks that make it difficult to think about or understand information pertaining to the specific thing fuzzed out. Someone affected by cloud memory watching a tape of the event would wonder why your using a VHS tape, but would also be prone to ignoring, misinterpreting and/or quickly forgetting about what they have just seen.

You're stack is just a save-state of your brain/mind that is being overwritten constantly with the latest snapshot, so these mental blocks can just follow you from morph to morph because -as far as your stack knows- they are just part of your mind and come along for the ride.

tldr:Don't mind me, I just like coming up with plausible explanations for in-game handwaving.

No, this is great. Psi use is supposed to be alien and horrible, a result of exsurgent influence. It's not handwaving, us bald apes just have no idea what's happening yet. Other characters should be affected by its use. :colbert:

Götterdämmerung
Jun 11, 2004
All I can manage to do, in any situation, is denounce the entirety of mankind. The worthless fuckers.
So, I love Eclipse Phase - although I've never been able to play it - and I "collect" copious amounts of inspirational art and whatnot to help me with my writing. I may not be able to play, but maybe some stuff from this gallery I put together will be useful to some of you all.

http://imgur.com/a/93mfu#2

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Götterdämmerung posted:

So, I love Eclipse Phase - although I've never been able to play it - and I "collect" copious amounts of inspirational art and whatnot to help me with my writing. I may not be able to play, but maybe some stuff from this gallery I put together will be useful to some of you all.

http://imgur.com/a/93mfu#2

This is awesome!

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I am blind or something, but where are the rules for dual weilding weapons? Specifically I have a player who wants to use akimbo heavy pistols. How do the burst fire rules work when doing so, and does it work on a single complex action?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I THINK he gets an attack with each weapon. If he doesn't have ambidex, he gets -20 to his off hand.

So yes, if he goes full auto with both, he could be firing four bursts a complex action. I gave my PC tentacle-back arms-wings so quad wielding would be a possibility.

• Locked thread