Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
I love OOTP's depth but I find Mogul so much more accessible. The new engine sounds great, but they have never put it out for Mac and don't appear to be starting now. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
OOTP13 is available now if you preordered. I'm downloading right now.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

OOTP13 is available now if you preordered. I'm downloading right now.

The new random debut randomized MLB database thing is awesome.

I created new league and populated it with random players then held the inaugural draft.

The first player chosen? Dan Brouthers

#2? Mickey Mantle
#3 Sandy Koufax
#4 JR Richard
#5 Rube Waddell
#6 Noodles Hahn

I took Chief Bender #7 overall.

All of them playing in a league structured like 2011 MLB.

I passed on Lou Gehrig because he's already 37 years old.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Wow, I didn't even notice that feature. That's going to be a really fun game mode.

edit: How do you do that? I can't find the setting anywhere.

Fork of Unknown Origins fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 7, 2012

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Nevermind, I found it. It's under "Historical" and then you just have to force a fantasy draft. I felt honorbound to take Johnny Bench in his prime (22) first seeing as I'm a diehard Reds fan. The next picks were Charlie Greggus, Tex Hughson, Jesse Tannehill and Rogers Hornsby. I kind of wish there were an option to only have players that started after a certain year so that there wouldn't be as many 1800s guys that I haven't heard of, but I have gained a new appreciation for how many obscure baseball players have wikipedia pages.

Also the "Real Life Stats" button was a fantastic decision. This is definitely a worthy upgrade to OOTP12.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I really am enjoying this OOTP13. But then again I haven't played 12 in so long either.

I really enjoy the new pitching engine, that is for sure.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I've really been critical of Markus & Co. with all the problems of OOTP11 and OOTP12, but so far, I'm really liking OOTP13. A lot of the smaller nagging details that bothered me are resolved, such as sorting by ratings in talent-only leagues, owners no longer wearing uniforms, and regional leagues sort of work.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I may have to get OOTP 13 just for that historical draft feature alone.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
There is already a plan for a patch to be released Monday to fix some early bugs.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
If you're doing historical draft it's best to only have one (or max 2) minor league levels. For now at least any more and you'll have to fill them all with fictional players.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
So after a couple days of playing way too much of ootp13 I have to say it is a very worthy upgrade to 12. The GUI is mostly the same but better laid out and with better information where it belongs (full divisional standings on the team screen yesssss.) The bar is on the side now instead of the top but it's pretty much all the same menus and screens, just better.

The historical random debut thing is neat but needs a little work. I'm not sure how well it would balance long term if you have more than one or two minor league levels. I'll definitely mess around with it a bit once I restore the Reds to their rightful place as dominant team in the NL central.

It's not new but putting trading on 'easy' turns all other GMs into complete idiots. The only challenge at that point is deciding who off your allstar team to trade for all the best prospects when you run out of money.

So yeah, basically if you like the genre 13 is a must have. If you don't then 13 won't change that but I doubt anything would; it's 100% a niche game.

On a side note I got the football manager demo. It seems like it would be really awesome if I understood soccer at all, but sadly no.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I don't know how interested any of you are in custom games or logos and whatnot but I got bored and decided to do some Illustrator practice in my spare time last week:

I can upload the individual .png's if anyone's interested.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
So I just had my first draft in a MLB league and did they make rookies a LOT better? I was pulling 4.5 star potential guys way later than I'm used to, and that's with scouting accuracy set to high.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

So has anyone played the new Mogul yet? I'd love to hear some opinions on it.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Chief McHeath posted:

So has anyone played the new Mogul yet? I'd love to hear some opinions on it.

I got out of Mogul when it was almost impossible to hold expansions for your league.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I am completely loving OOTP13. It feels streamlined and fast as hell compared to...well, every other OOTP ever.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I wish you all were saying it sucks because now I just want to buy it but I'm not going to.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
OOTP13 seems great so far, my only complaint is that all of the skins seem terrible compared to the default OOTP12 skin

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Oh my god, OOTP 13 is the best.

And another one!

Inside Outside fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 15, 2012

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

haha goddamn.

I wish that I didn't have thoughts of buying the game right now just for things like that.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Telex posted:

haha goddamn.

I wish that I didn't have thoughts of buying the game right now just for things like that.

The dynamic storylines are actually much cooler than I thought they'd be. A lot of it is fluff like players opening restaurants and taking girls with leukemia to the prom, but a really cool one was reports of a feud developing between Tim Lincecum and Brandon Belt that got to the point where they got in a fight in the dugout. Following that the Giants went into free fall and with Lincecum in the last year of his deal they put him on the trading block.

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Does anyone play in an online league for OOTP 13?
I imagine that takes awhile, but has anyone ever done it?

edit: this is my first year owning the game, and I started a 24 team major league in England with randomly created players and no trading from other major leagues, so it's purely a self contained bubble. The inaugural year's darling pitcher through spring training is a guy named "Ben Affleck". Does the game often use names like this, or just a coincidence?

I see that there. fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 17, 2012

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

I see that there. posted:

edit: this is my first year owning the game, and I started a 24 team major league in England with randomly created players and no trading from other major leagues, so it's purely a self contained bubble. The inaugural year's darling pitcher through spring training is a guy named "Ben Affleck". Does the game often use names like this, or just a coincidence?

I think there's a database of last names and a database of first names and they're thrown together randomly.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

The best is when nationalities mix. like Enrique Suzuki

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Arctic Baldwin posted:

The best is when nationalities mix. like Enrique Suzuki

I once had Jose Nagasaki, and he was the reigning 3-time MVP.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I did for an older version of the game (6.5 I believe). Was fun but I just didn't have the time to keep up. A lot of the people in it took things seriously and I was getting a lot of e-mails and IMs about trades and such. Not a big deal, but I decided it was just too much time at that stage in my life.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Has anyone figured out House Rules yet for this game (if they are needed)? Basically things I shouldn't do to rip off the AI. I know in the past I could nab decent prospects on the waiver wire and they vastly undervalued relievers.

Also, is there a consensus on the trade difficulty? It seemed that hard was pretty solid. Normal wasn't bad but I was still able to pull off a deal that I shouldn't from time to time. Hard seems to not give me much ground at all but I'd rather that be the case than it be too easy.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

goddamn.

bit the bullet, got the OOTP13 even though Diablo 3 is coming out soon enough that i'm basically playing this game for 2 weeks and maybe not again until July or August.

I start up a new game, and here's my first 2 weeks of the major league season

what the gently caress OOTP.

seriously.

what the gently caress.

Oh and Berkman wants 20 mil to stick around past this year.

I'm loving trading everyone. Everyone. All of them.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The community of leagues I play in either will or should all be converting soon (a few months or so from now). There is space in most of them and I can let you know if you're still interested after messing around with the game. There are half a dozen or so SA members in them.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Telex posted:

goddamn.

bit the bullet, got the OOTP13 even though Diablo 3 is coming out soon enough that i'm basically playing this game for 2 weeks and maybe not again until July or August.

I start up a new game, and here's my first 2 weeks of the major league season

what the gently caress OOTP.

seriously.

what the gently caress.

Oh and Berkman wants 20 mil to stick around past this year.

I'm loving trading everyone. Everyone. All of them.

If you don't immediately set the injury rate to low or very low, you'll have 2/3rds of your starting lineup and 80% of your rotation on the 60-day DL by mid-June, the injury rate is set waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too high on "Normal".

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

CraigK posted:

If you don't immediately set the injury rate to low or very low, you'll have 2/3rds of your starting lineup and 80% of your rotation on the 60-day DL by mid-June, the injury rate is set waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too high on "Normal".

This is a new "feature" that I dislike in 2013.

I could stand a couple of 1-2 week dingers a month on random players, that's cool.

Having ALL of my power hitters AND my two best pitchers simultaneously nuked from orbit for 5 months was kinda lovely. (It took out Molina for the sweep about a week later, woop).

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

tadashi posted:

The community of leagues I play in either will or should all be converting soon (a few months or so from now). There is space in most of them and I can let you know if you're still interested after messing around with the game. There are half a dozen or so SA members in them.

Thanks for the offer, but maybe next year.
I'm not a huge baseball guy, and playing a sim like this is still pretty new to me, I'd just slow you guys down, but I do appreciate it.

I was mostly asking to hear about the experience, like the other poster said, a lot of seriousness and emails about stuff is what I expected to be the norm. I was sort of wondering how the pacing works, and stuff like that.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Well, normally there is a commish who makes sure things run smoothly. Basically, they'll just run the sim without your input, which normally amounts to just setting the week's line ups.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

LordPants posted:

Well, normally there is a commish who makes sure things run smoothly. Basically, they'll just run the sim without your input, which normally amounts to just setting the week's line ups.

I've come to enjoy simulation leagues over fantasy leagues because simulation leagues tend to only sim a few times a week or even once per week. You usually have a couple days from the time the previous simulation is run to adjust your roster for injuries and make any lineup changes. The experience is all about finding a decent group of people to interact with who want to make trades and participate in the league.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 3, 2012

Mr.Showtime
Oct 22, 2006
I'm not going to say that
Well you could just sign up for a weekly fantasy league.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
It's not exactly a large bug, but I always get so excited when my scout finds talent in North Korea, except every single time the player is actually Costa Rican

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Marquis de Pyro posted:

It's not exactly a large bug, but I always get so excited when my scout finds talent in North Korea, except every single time the player is actually Costa Rican

Even if I pour a shitton of money into international scouting and have the best scout in the game, he still never is able to find anything internationally higher than 2.5 star potential.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

What's awesome is when you get to the world series to find the other team found a 5 star player in Panama mid-season and he is now carrying them through the playoffs. At least they have playoff rosters now so teams can't just find some player who got an incredible ratings boost after being released from their AA team in mid-September.

Cold Sprunk
Apr 11, 2009
After years of being too intimidated to play this game I finally read and watched tutorials for a couple of hours and picked it up.

First things first- traded Josh Hamilton for Adrian Gonzalez straight up. Off to a hot start at 20-8!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Will our team finally win the World Series? :ohdear:

http://www.rujasu.net/scmlb/news/html/teams/team_50.html
code:
Managing History
Year	League	Team	G	W	L	WPct	Finish	Post-Season Wins
2011	ML	Oakland	32	16	16	.500	3rd	-
2012	ML	Oakland	162	82	80	.506	2nd	-