Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ah, the Eastern Block. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
Canadians, if you want the new marvel superhero's stuff and don't want to pay S&H's shipping and no toys r us near you has them chapters.ca has some of the new sets. The april coupon is " April2012 " which is $5 off a $30 purchase, and you have free shipping at $25. It isn't great but it is a slight discount over toys r us and lego S&H.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

I hope when they do the re-release of the Attack of the Clones in 3D, they also do a new version of the AT-TE and the Clone Gunship sets. The prices for these are pretty crazy.

Sean OFarrell
Feb 27, 2012
20 large cups amounts to this:

edit 1: Ok so my plan is to take that big pile there, and make a fortress for the Dwarves that will fit over the first step:

edit 2: And I'm almost done with the walls.

edit 3:

edit 4: Alright this is as far as I can get for now till my Lego Store gets more of those slopes in so I can finish the roof of the fortress proper

Sean OFarrell fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Apr 15, 2012

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

MichaelFlatley posted:

Well this seems a pretty good deal for any wealthy store owning goons...

Lot of 300 Lego Kingdoms Joust - £10000 (United States)

Hi there I have for sale a lot of Lego Kingdoms Joust, brand new and sealed shipped from warehouse, this is a great price for any supplier out there!!

I think I found who bought this

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Merchant of Death posted:

Canadians, if you want the new marvel superhero's stuff and don't want to pay S&H's shipping and no toys r us near you has them chapters.ca has some of the new sets. The april coupon is " April2012 " which is $5 off a $30 purchase, and you have free shipping at $25. It isn't great but it is a slight discount over toys r us and lego S&H.

You, sir, are a fuckin' hero. There is no way I'm letting Wolverine, Magneto, and Deadpool in one set pass me by. (And, since of course it was $24.95, I picked up a cheap hardcover too!)

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Installed LDD the first time yesterday, stayed up till 4 AM designing this:

Its almost as bad as civilization, and combined with bricklink/online PAB will bankrupt me.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Just assembled the 4431 Ambulance... there is a reason the top isn't visible in any of the photos on the box :(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

And that reason is...?

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Found 6 cases of S7 at Fred Meyer in Mill Creek, WA this morning. Picked clean of Aztecs and Black Knights so I did a thing and bought 24 Space Marines.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

The Rage posted:

Found 6 cases of S7 at Fred Meyer in Mill Creek, WA this morning. Picked clean of Aztecs and Black Knights so I did a thing and bought 24 Space Marines.

Aw, poo poo, I was hoping it wouldn't show up until I got April's paycheck.

Here's hoping for a BOGO50% deal in tomorrow's paper!

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

SynthOrange posted:

And that reason is...?

I really hate when people do that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yeah, I hate it when people ask for more information too.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

SynthOrange posted:

And that reason is...?
Probably because it looks a bit cobbled together.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
Well...I just got back from an interview at LEGO in Billund, Denmark...
Didn't get to see much there unfortunately, but still, nice to have been.

Billund is in the arse end of nowhere though, absolutely nothing there except for lego and the park itself was looking a little sad.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Quick question for anyone here who has the Maersk train or cargo continer set: are the Maersk decals per-printed on the blocks, or are they stickers?

Because I saw those grey blocks and e first thing I thought of was models of various medium-voltage switchgear systems using this blocks. :spergin:

EDIT yes they do use stickers.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 15, 2012

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Ika posted:

Installed LDD the first time yesterday, stayed up till 4 AM designing this:

Its almost as bad as civilization, and combined with bricklink/online PAB will bankrupt me.

Looks like LDD has evolved quite a bit since I last used it. Will want to take a look at it again.

SpecialF
Dec 14, 2004

`You might just as well say, that "I breathe when I sleep" is the same thing as "I sleep when I breathe"!'
Spent an hour in John Lewis (Southampton UK) squeezing every drat packet. Fastest we've ever collected a set and no duplicates!
There are some pretty drat awesome figs this time (though Zombie will be my favourite for a long time).

Oh and we found the dynamic duo funhouse escape a few days previous too. It's currently sitting next to our alien tripod battling the power suit Lex. God I love lego :D

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I bought a huge bag of pieces from a car boot sale today, and picking through it, there's a lot of Bionicle bits and pieces. Scattered through it are a few other random parts, like Kinex and some Megabloks. Turns out what I keep assuming isn't a Lego piece, is in fact one. They made a ton of really weird pieces for Bionicle, to be honest.

Anyway, my plan is to sort out the Bionicle bits and offer them up to anyone who wants them. Does anybody here build with bionicles?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The_Doctor posted:

I bought a huge bag of pieces from a car boot sale today, and picking through it, there's a lot of Bionicle bits and pieces. Scattered through it are a few other random parts, like Kinex and some Megabloks. Turns out what I keep assuming isn't a Lego piece, is in fact one. They made a ton of really weird pieces for Bionicle, to be honest.

Anyway, my plan is to sort out the Bionicle bits and offer them up to anyone who wants them. Does anybody here build with bionicles?
Keep'em. You can find a use for nearly any Bionicle piece.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

SpecialF posted:

Spent an hour in John Lewis (Southampton UK) squeezing every drat packet. Fastest we've ever collected a set and no duplicates!
There are some pretty drat awesome figs this time (though Zombie will be my favourite for a long time).

Oh and we found the dynamic duo funhouse escape a few days previous too. It's currently sitting next to our alien tripod battling the power suit Lex. God I love lego :D

What's up Southampton goon! (I'm in Eastleigh actually). Did the JL have any of the older series knocking about?

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Australian AFOL's might be interested in this new website that Lego have launched to celebrate 50 years of Lego in Australia - http://www.legofestival.com.au

Apparently they will be holding events for the next 9 months as part of the celebrations.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

cyberia posted:

Australian AFOL's might be interested in this new website that Lego have launched to celebrate 50 years of Lego in Australia - http://www.legofestival.com.au

Apparently they will be holding events for the next 9 months as part of the celebrations.

Nice one, thanks

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
I think I have about 5 projects going at once right now, but I finally managed to finish one yesterday. This is my take on a space monorail - using Power Functions.

It's powered by 2 PF medium motors and one rechargeable battery. It runs on the old style train track, which is relatively cheap (a variation of the straight piece is still made today) and easily integrated into the rail and stanchion design. Other than that there's not really any special parts in it aside from a few Classic Space detail elements. I've built a full loop of track for running so far. I have also tested inclines and switches, and it can do both, but I haven't completely finished those track sections yet.

Video of it in action on flickr.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Shuppiluliumas posted:

I love the SNOT on this thing, especially on the front.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
I am not a train person but love space and anything technic/mechanical and that monorail is excellent.

I love the use of old hinge joints inbetween the cars so it could take the turns. This is screams classic space to me and I love it. I might have to pick up monorail track now.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

The VW Camper I ordered last Thursday is already being delivered today! Woooo, guess I should finish the Town Hall before I start this one.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Merchant of Death posted:

I am not a train person but love space and anything technic/mechanical and that monorail is excellent.

I love the use of old hinge joints inbetween the cars so it could take the turns. This is screams classic space to me and I love it. I might have to pick up monorail track now.

I tried to use as many period parts as I could to make it seem legit. The track is pretty cheap to make. You just need old curved and straight track, some bricks and technic bricks, and plates. I tried the even older blue train track first, because it's cheaper and we all know Classic Space is blue, but the parts, especially the curves, were different enough molds that they really didn't work as well.

The rail itself is just rail-brick-plate, really, and the stanchions can be whatever you want so long as they can hold the weight of the monorail.

SpecialF
Dec 14, 2004

`You might just as well say, that "I breathe when I sleep" is the same thing as "I sleep when I breathe"!'

Hamburlgar posted:

What's up Southampton goon! (I'm in Eastleigh actually). Did the JL have any of the older series knocking about?

Hey Hey - Isle of Wighter here :D They had a half a box of 6 but that's all I could see:/

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Hamburlgar posted:

I dont know how many figures you are missing, but you can get entire display boxes of series 3, 4 and 5 for under 100 euros each on ebay

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.
So the Slovene LEGO convention! It was very small but very adorable. They had collected and displayed EVERY Pirates set from 1989 to the present, which was impressive. And there were a few great MOCs as well (photos after I find my camera...). I talked to one of the organizers and was informed that I was probably the only American to ever show up...they were very confused as to how I found out about it (leaked photos of a new set ended up on their forum, yadda yadda yadda).

Shopping around for LEGO has been interesting. Saw a few S3 and S4 figs (which are cheaper, even with the weak dollar) which was surprising, along with some old farm sets. Most surprising though is that I have seen Speed Racer (2008 I believe) in three stores so far. Just a single large set in each. I imagine they don't do discounts like they do in the US. I don't think these are really worth anything or else I'd grab them.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
Well in my insanity I made 7 bricklink orders and one PAB this morning to make a UCS snowspeeder. I always liked the look of the set but never got it and regreted it. Now after about $250 of orders I will have it. The cheapest one on BL was $450

The only part's I had to replace were the smoke canopy ($65 each and you need two) and the orange slopes, red will look better anyways.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
For anyone interested in Friendschat, Feminist Frequency did a two-part examining the line. There's a ton of research put into it, a lot of old commercials that track the shift of attention to boys over time (Zack the Lego Maniac makes an appearance), and her feminist deconstruction of the gender-segregated world of Friends is great for articulating what kind of instinctively bugged me about it. (It's also the reason I get such a kick out of seeing the Friends line subverted into pink mechs and spaceships.)

Part one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrmRxGLn0Bk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrmRxGLn0Bk
Part two:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe65EGkB9kA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe65EGkB9kA

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

I guess the creator sets and the NXT sets aren't creative enough for her. Also, although the early '90s commercials for technic were directed at boys, but the technic sets these days are pretty aren't really. Although they are mostly vehicles, but what else are you supposed to build with technic?

I personally think the Friends line is pretty dumb. But I've bought it for my daughter because she asked for it. What am I gonna do, say no you have to play with the city sets because of gender roles.

I think she's very balanced. She rides dirtbikes all day but plays princess dressup in the house.

In the end the toy companies have to make a profit and it's up to parents and teachers to neutralize gender roles. If you find the friends sets offensive, don't buy them. Either don't buy lego or only buy the sets you deem appropriate.

Everyone knows the friends sets are going to disappear anyway.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.

front wing flexing posted:

Everyone knows the friends sets are going to disappear anyway.

My understanding is that they have been very popular, among consumers and AFOL alike

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Friends MOCs are awesome

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
My fiance can't go to Walmart without coming home with a Friends set. Or two.

Testro
May 2, 2009

Saint Sputnik posted:

For anyone interested in Friendschat, Feminist Frequency did a two-part examining the line. There's a ton of research put into it, a lot of old commercials that track the shift of attention to boys over time (Zack the Lego Maniac makes an appearance), and her feminist deconstruction of the gender-segregated world of Friends is great for articulating what kind of instinctively bugged me about it. (It's also the reason I get such a kick out of seeing the Friends line subverted into pink mechs and spaceships.)

Part one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrmRxGLn0Bk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrmRxGLn0Bk
Part two:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe65EGkB9kA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe65EGkB9kA

These videos are great, and well worth a watch.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

front wing flexing posted:

I guess the creator sets and the NXT sets aren't creative enough for her. Also, although the early '90s commercials for technic were directed at boys, but the technic sets these days are pretty aren't really. Although they are mostly vehicles, but what else are you supposed to build with technic?

I personally think the Friends line is pretty dumb. But I've bought it for my daughter because she asked for it. What am I gonna do, say no you have to play with the city sets because of gender roles.

She acknowledges Lego still makes gender-neutral toys like the Creator line, but they aren't pushed to the front the same way the gendered shoot-em-up/bake-a-cake lines are. And I'm sure it would be a losing proposition for them to try; they really have painted themselves into a corner.

Anyway no one's criticizing you for buying them for your daughter, relax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Saint Sputnik posted:

Anyway no one's criticizing you for buying them for your daughter, relax.

No, she is. I'm essentially promoting the patriarchy and perpetuating her bondage in gender by buying her those sets.

I'm not saying all her points are invalid but while she was reasonable and fair in her presentation, the actual meat of it is slightly absurd. Of all the things the wrong with country and of all the things that are keeping women down, I don't think lego is worth 23 minutes of ranting.