Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dache posted:

Hi guys, I've got a full rack of pork ribs in my fridge and a bottle of BBQ sauce I'm dying to marinate them in. While I'd love to be able to smoke them, I'm in a flat and it isn't feasible. All I have is my oven and a bunch of metal cookware. I've tried several times in the past and while they're okay ribs, they're a far cry from real ribs that I've had before, in the US.

Can someone please tell me how can I get tasty, moist, falling-off-the-bone ribs using that BBQ sauce, any other kind of rub I could put together, and most importantly, just a normal electric fan oven? Or at least as near as dammit?

Thin the sauce out with some worchestershire sauce or cider vinegar, maybe throw in some red pepper flakes, molasses or something for some extra flavor. Set your oven to ~120-140 celsius (250-275 F). Give the meat a good coating of vegetable oil and salt it well. Brush on a nice coating of the sauce. Stick it in the oven and leave it the hell alone for the next 90-120 minutes. At that time, hit the top side with more sauce and turn over. Every hour or so give it another baste and turn until done. This will take most of the day, shoot for 87-93 internal temp (190-200 F). Oh, and put some foil down on the pans or you'll never get them clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dache
Dec 26, 2003

this happy little fella is steve

^^^ Thank you, that sounds good!

RazorBunny posted:

How low is the lowest temperature setting on your oven?

50c, or 122f.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
I've never actually used a broiler before. I have some marinated chicken drumsticks. How long do I need to cook them and do I need to turn and cover with marinade again through cooking?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

dis astranagant posted:

Thin the sauce out with some worchestershire sauce or cider vinegar, maybe throw in some red pepper flakes, molasses or something for some extra flavor. Set your oven to ~120-140 celsius (250-275 F). Give the meat a good coating of vegetable oil and salt it well. Brush on a nice coating of the sauce. Stick it in the oven and leave it the hell alone for the next 90-120 minutes. At that time, hit the top side with more sauce and turn over. Every hour or so give it another baste and turn until done. This will take most of the day, shoot for 87-93 internal temp (190-200 F). Oh, and put some foil down on the pans or you'll never get them clean.

A light application of liquid smoke can go a long way. You can also pouchbraise in foil if you don't want to do excessive basting. When tender remove from foil, glaze with the aforementioned sauce and stick it under the broiler for a few minutes. Edit: be sure to watch it under the broiler. Things can go from deliciously caramelized to burnt very quickly.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 15, 2012

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, meant to toss that in with the red pepper and molasses.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Senior Funkenstien posted:

I've never actually used a broiler before. I have some marinated chicken drumsticks. How long do I need to cook them and do I need to turn and cover with marinade again through cooking?

Until the inside reads 165F. Yes. Broiling is unidirectional cooking. You need to flip. It may not be the best way to cook them as your skin may be burnt before the inside is done.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

GrAviTy84 posted:

Until the inside reads 165F. Yes. Broiling is unidirectional cooking. You need to flip. It may not be the best way to cook them as your skin may be burnt before the inside is done.

Should I maybe bake em first and then broil for a few minutes to get crispy skins?

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

A quick google informs me that I'm likely not to kill myself making stock in a slow cooker. Can anyone confirm/deny?

I also read in Ratio that you can also make stock in the over at a very low setting to get that bare simmer, but the crock pot is much more convenient. I'll leave my apartment with the crock pot on, but not my stove.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
someone recently posted an asian recipe, by some youtube channel with "dog" in the name.

It was essentially fried pork over noodles with an egg at the end, with some sort of sauce involved. :P

Anyone remember this? I can't find it.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.

hobbez posted:

someone recently posted an asian recipe, by some youtube channel with "dog" in the name.

It was essentially fried pork over noodles with an egg at the end, with some sort of sauce involved. :P

Anyone remember this? I can't find it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/cookingwithdog/videos Somewhere in there, I don't remember the exact video but dog, and asian food is synonymous with "cooking with dog"

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

So I went back to the RICOLA EAT THE EGGS thread and wound up whipping up a batch of creme anglaise. At no point did it sink in that I'm cooking for just me and just made a pint of the stuff. Any ideas for what to do with it?

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
I just got back from clamming(first time) and got a bunch of gaper clams. There's a billion recipes on the web on cooking them but I was curious if anyone here had any experience with them.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Senior Funkenstien posted:

Should I maybe bake em first and then broil for a few minutes to get crispy skins?

Sure

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

HClChicken posted:

http://www.youtube.com/user/cookingwithdog/videos Somewhere in there, I don't remember the exact video but dog, and asian food is synonymous with "cooking with dog"

I think they're specifically Japanese

Indentured Servant
Aug 31, 2008

Jyrraeth posted:

A quick google informs me that I'm likely not to kill myself making stock in a slow cooker. Can anyone confirm/deny?

I also read in Ratio that you can also make stock in the over at a very low setting to get that bare simmer, but the crock pot is much more convenient. I'll leave my apartment with the crock pot on, but not my stove.

I've made chicken stock before using my crockpot. I simmered it for 24 hours and so far I am not dead. Or am I? :stare:

Dache
Dec 26, 2003

this happy little fella is steve

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll probably be trying this on Friday, and if I remember to take pics, I'll post them for anyone interested.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I bought a daikon radish the other day. What's the best thing to make with it? Is there a quick / easy recipe to pickle it?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Was there a Sous Vide thread before the culling of GWS's old threads?

Cant seem to find anything and I have an opportunity to get a Sous Vide Supreme for rather cheap.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Boeuf Bourguinion

last night I tried to make it, and after 4+ hours I had to admit I failed miserably.
The stuff burned (not bad, but a lot of the beef got stuck to the bottom while simmering, giving it a hard texture, and that cannot be undone)

Not completely sure why this happened, as I make these type of dishes a lot (on the same little burner), although not boeuf bourguinion specifically...

My guess is that it has to do with:
1. the cubing of the meat (I normally simmer larger pieces of meat)
2. the relatively new pan that might be failing on me.

Anyway, I will be trying again tonight, as it's for a guest, and I do not want to stand in the kitchen when she's here.
Now, my questions are these:

a. do you have an alternative recipe (cause I just cannot think of anything else right now, but I'm not particularly looking forward to another round of boeuf bourguinion making).

b. any hints, pointers or tips for Boeuf Bourguinion in general?
(so far I learned that I did not like the addition of a little tomato puree, and I did like the addition of some of those little pickled onions (after rinsing them with water) as that looks and tastes very nice)

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

dis astranagant posted:

So I went back to the RICOLA EAT THE EGGS thread and wound up whipping up a batch of creme anglaise. At no point did it sink in that I'm cooking for just me and just made a pint of the stuff. Any ideas for what to do with it?

Do you have an ice cream maker?

Erdnase
Nov 9, 2009

he needs the money
LEMON CURD

I'm making some lemon curd later, and I've noticed I've lost my candy thermometer (moved house). Am I screwed without one or can I just wing it and judge if it's done or not by thickness? If so, what sort of consistency am I looking for?

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

cyberia posted:

I bought a daikon radish the other day. What's the best thing to make with it? Is there a quick / easy recipe to pickle it?

I cut it into matchsticks with some carrots (3:2), then fill up a small mason jar with 1:1 of water and rice vinegar, add a teaspoon of salt, one of brown sugar, add some pepper and coriander, and a couple of cloves of garlic. One daikon will give you 4-5 small mason jars. Make sure you refrigerate it, I never tried keeping them on a shelf with this recipe so I don't know how safe it is.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Whiteycar posted:

Was there a Sous Vide thread before the culling of GWS's old threads?

Cant seem to find anything and I have an opportunity to get a Sous Vide Supreme for rather cheap.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3289713

You'll need archives to view it.

First Google result for "sous vizzle" :haw:

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

cyberia posted:

It's pretty awesome in kimchi.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I grilled chicken breasts last night with oil + mansmiths, which is a sort of Santa maria like spice blend.

I'm looking for leftover ideas, and I was thinking about a soy/peanut/ginger stir fry. Will the spices already on the chicken gently caress up the flavors in the stir fry?

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I'm thinking about buying some foie gras to sear up. Never had it before, or any type of liver for that matter, but have only heard good things. From Googling I've seen quite a range of cooking methods. Any recommendations? Tips?

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

geetee posted:

I'm thinking about buying some foie gras to sear up. Never had it before, or any type of liver for that matter, but have only heard good things. From Googling I've seen quite a range of cooking methods. Any recommendations? Tips?

the three Cs: crispy (outside), creamy & cold (inside)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Thinking of picking up a BBQ and I live in an apartment which limits BBQ's to propane. Any good recs for an apt friendly BBQ?

Captain Payne
Sep 27, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Do you guys have any recommendations for flavorful vegetables and spices to use in stir-fry? I've just started trying it out and so far all I use is mushrooms, onions, ginger, and pepper (with chicken) but I feel like there are a lot more possibilities out there.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Asparagus is my favorite stir fry vegetable. Garlic of course, star anise, whole peppers of various sorts, leeks, bok choy, kai lan, broccoli, green onions, garlic stems, green beans.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Captain Payne posted:

Do you guys have any recommendations for flavorful vegetables and spices to use in stir-fry? I've just started trying it out and so far all I use is mushrooms, onions, ginger, and pepper (with chicken) but I feel like there are a lot more possibilities out there.
For simple vegetable stir fries I like green beans, jalapeños, dried mushrooms, bok choy, and zucchini. You should also try it with scallions instead of onions. Spinach is a nice treat, as well. But stir frying is a technique, not a dish, so it's not just a matter of changing ingredients.

When I stir fry vegetables, I usually just use a bit of sesame oil and salt as seasoning. Sometimes I'll throw in chilies, as well, especially with green beans. Here's a quick recipe for dry-fried green beans. Cook them in hot oil for about 6 minutes on medium-low heat in a wok, then set aside. Then heat the wok, add some oil, and stir-fry on high heat some chilies, Sichuan pepper, garlic, ginger, and scallions. Quickly, until fragrant. Add the beans, stir fry briefly, then serve.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Anyone have a link to the thread where a goon did homemade pancetta?
One of the pics from his thread is used in the Charcuterie OP.

I don't know who it was, but I've got Archives if you can direct me.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Thinking of picking up a BBQ and I live in an apartment which limits BBQ's to propane. Any good recs for an apt friendly BBQ?

When I suffered apartment living, I got a Weber Spirit. It's made of high quality materials, has cast iron grates, and is pretty easy to put together. My only complaint is that the three burners are front/middle/back and I'd much prefer them to be left/middle/right.

That said, we have a house now, the spirit is on my back patio, and I used it several times a week still.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:

cyberia posted:

Peel and cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Generously sprinkle with some salt, exact measurements don't matter because you're going to let it sit for a while (15-20 min) in a colander to drain and then rinse it off. Put the cubes in a bowl or a jar. Mix together equal parts sugar, white vinegar, and water until the sugar is dissolved and pour it over the radish cubes until they're all submerged. Let it sit in the vinegar mixture for at least an hour and it'll be good to go. This pickle is what you usually get with korean fried chicken. It'll keep in the fridge for a few days.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
I'm on my phone, so I can't really search for it, but is there a thread/website for recipes of vegetables as sides? I'm sick of the generic corn, green beans, etc that we always end up getting because I have no clue how to cook anything else.

Also, besides the 'Go Dairy Free' website/book, is there any good websites/cook books that are non vegan non dairy recipes? I have a dairy allergy, and most websites for dairy free are vegan. Which is fine and all, but Mr. Lullabee has pretty much said he cant quit eating meat. Or rather, doesn't want too. Thanks for the help.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I need a recipe for something equivalent to onion soup mix (for AWARD-WINNING CHILI). Something that I can just throw in a plastic bag and mix with hot water.

Taft Punk
Jan 11, 2011

Fish are the vegetables of the sea.

PRADA SLUT posted:

I need a recipe for something equivalent to onion soup mix (for AWARD-WINNING CHILI). Something that I can just throw in a plastic bag and mix with hot water.

(edit)
Ingredients in Lipton onion soup:
Onions (deyhydrated), salt, cornstarch, onion powder, sugar, corn syrup, hydrolyzed soy protein, caramel color, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, monosodium glutamate, yeast extract, natural flavors, disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate.

So, mostly dehydrated onions, some salt and sugar? Looks like a touch of yeast as well.

http://www.food.com/recipe/copycat-liptons-onion-soup-mix-24952

Taft Punk fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 18, 2012

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

Caramelize some onions, dehydrate onions and veal stock and red wine on acetate sheets, crush everything up, add salt and pepper and a bit of thyme.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I bought some shiritaki tofu noodles...now I need to know what to do with them for dinner tomorrow.

I have some chicken I also want to use.

I was thinking of rinsing the noodles, then cooking them briefly in chicken stock to impart the flavor into the noodles, pan searing the chicken, and serving on top of the noodles.

Yay/nay? Any other ideas? I could stop at the store after work to pick up some other stuff but I definitely want to use the chicken.

Maybe a stir fry of some sort? Not too sure what sauce I would use, though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taft Punk
Jan 11, 2011

Fish are the vegetables of the sea.

nwin posted:

I bought some shiritaki tofu noodles...now I need to know what to do with them for dinner tomorrow.

I have some chicken I also want to use.

I was thinking of rinsing the noodles, then cooking them briefly in chicken stock to impart the flavor into the noodles, pan searing the chicken, and serving on top of the noodles.

Yay/nay? Any other ideas? I could stop at the store after work to pick up some other stuff but I definitely want to use the chicken.

Maybe a stir fry of some sort? Not too sure what sauce I would use, though...

Definitely rinse the shirataki noodles, but I would also toast them before adding anything else.

As far as sauces for stir fries.. the sky is the limit. I've had better luck using shirataki noodles in asian-inspired dishes rather than european, so things like sesame oil, soy sauce, ginger and suchlike would probably not go amiss. Although I add garlic to just about everything ever.