Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, - probably not - but I'm not sure what that would be.

Are there any REAPER plugins or whatever that work as a good MIDI sequencer? I hate the one that comes with the program and I can't ReWire Live as a slave and use plugins through it, as far as I'm aware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Dias posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, - probably not - but I'm not sure what that would be.

Are there any REAPER plugins or whatever that work as a good MIDI sequencer? I hate the one that comes with the program and I can't ReWire Live as a slave and use plugins through it, as far as I'm aware.

Why don't you edit your midi in live and export the midi file back to reaper if you like editing in live more?

keyframe fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 20, 2012

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
:siren:

Native Instruments Komplete is $299 till the end of march if you own one of the qualifying products.

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/komplete-8/?page=2619

This is one insane loving deal.

Franz Liszt 96
Dec 15, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
http://www.valhalladsp.com/valhallafreqecho

Amazingly simple to use and useful free plug-in to shift frequency!(charges 50$ for his other ones, but this one was just what I needed tonight). Read his blog post about i-dosing on binaural beats and tell me what you think about that. I'm trying to get an LSD trip here, but no luck yet. blog post here: http://valhalladsp.wordpress.com/category/frequency-shifter/

Franz Liszt 96 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 26, 2012

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Will using studio monitors layed down horizontally result in worse monitoring or mixing than standing them up vertically? I have KRK Rokit 8s if that matters. They came with isolation pads, so laying them down doesn't increase their contact area with my desk.

I read that in theory the horizontal configuration is worse, because the sound will vary as your head moves horizontally (which happens more often than vertical movement when sitting), but I'm wondering how much of a real world difference it would actually make. I hope its not too much, because I'm reorganizing my desk and going horizontal would give me much more space.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Franz Liszt 96 posted:

http://www.valhalladsp.com/valhallafreqecho

Amazingly simple to use and useful free plug-in to shift frequency!(charges 50$ for his other ones, but this one was just what I needed tonight). Read his blog post about i-dosing on binaural beats and tell me what you think about that. I'm trying to get an LSD trip here, but no luck yet. blog post here: http://valhalladsp.wordpress.com/category/frequency-shifter/
You read all the way to the bottom of the comments, right? Where the author of the blog comes clean about completely making up all that i-dosing poo poo?

Splinter posted:

I read that in theory the horizontal configuration is worse, because the sound will vary as your head moves horizontally (which happens more often than vertical movement when sitting), but I'm wondering how much of a real world difference it would actually make. I hope its not too much, because I'm reorganizing my desk and going horizontal would give me much more space.
As a rule, I don't think it matters. Maybe there are particular sets of monitors where it does, but it seems like laying them on their sides on the console bridge is one of the most popular spots for nearfields in a recording studio. You rarely see speakers like NS-10s standing up on end. I guess the idea is that the distance between your ears and the tweeter/woofer changes, so phase would change more as you move left to right, but with nearfields there's always a sweet spot you can't take your head out of.

Franz Liszt 96
Dec 15, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

wixard posted:

You read all the way to the bottom of the comments, right? Where the author of the blog comes clean about completely making up all that i-dosing poo poo?

Well, the media took it seriously at one point. It's pretty funny. Binaural beats are still a real effect and the plugin is a great tool for production that you can get for free.

edit: some more free plug-ins here: http://www.audiodamage.com/downloads/

Franz Liszt 96 fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 26, 2012

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

My shiny new focusrite liquid saffire 56 turned up. Very initial reaction: The pre's sound like peaches and cream. Really loving nice for interface pre's. The liquid channels even more.

That said I still think my Golden Age 73 sounds nicer with my modded Rode, but that really shouldn't be surprising since the Golden age is pretty much a faithful clone of the neve 1073s (seriously if you can afford one, DO IT, they sound spectacular)

When I get some more quality time in with it, I'll drop a review on the gear review thread.

But I'm finally feeling like my digital audio chain (daw) is as "nice" as my straight analogue one (tascam reel).

I doubt I'll be letting go of doing mastering via the tape though. Theres just *something* about that saturation.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Franz Liszt 96 posted:

Well, the media took it seriously at one point. It's pretty funny. Binaural beats are still a real effect.

No it isn't

There have been no serious studies that have found these actually have any serious effect on the brain, but plenty that show no correlation.

Don't buy into pseudoscience.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Mar 28, 2012

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

wixard posted:

As a rule, I don't think it matters. Maybe there are particular sets of monitors where it does, but it seems like laying them on their sides on the console bridge is one of the most popular spots for nearfields in a recording studio. You rarely see speakers like NS-10s standing up on end. I guess the idea is that the distance between your ears and the tweeter/woofer changes, so phase would change more as you move left to right, but with nearfields there's always a sweet spot you can't take your head out of.
That's good news. What I read was warning of comb filtering as you move your head horizontally when the speakers are on their side (same thing would happen as you move up and down when mounted vertically). Any opinion on tweeters in or out? I always assumed out..

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Weeeellll... yea, I suppose there could be a little added comb filtering, but it sounds to me like whoever wrote that was thinking more about how physics might work and not speaking from experience. If you move your head up or down, left or right the phase relationship between the 2 speakers will always change as the distance between your head and each speaker isn't the same anymore.

If you want to convince yourself 1 way or the other, just plug one of them in and turn it sideways then move your head around. Sounds like they're saying that by laying them down the distance between woofer and tweeter in the same speaker becomes significant as you move your head left and right. I've never found that to be the case.

And yea, tweeters out should give you the widest stereo image possible, if it makes a difference at all.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I had to ask my audio engineer (as in "designs TV studios and architects concert hall audio insulation type audio engineer rather than "fiddles knobs on a dirty old soundcraft desk" type audio engineer) father about this one, and his take is basically that yes in theory putting them on the side could increase the perception of comb filtering between the speakers, however if your getting that chances are the crossovers in your speakers are not doing the job and/or are garbage). He did add to that that crossovers in speakers are by design a bit leaky so there *will* be some sort of potential there, but in practice it really doesn't matter anyway.

Also I just came to post a discovery for mac users who have trouble getting firewire audio devices to wake up when they are turned on AFTER the things booted up. This is how you fix the problem with a chainsaw;-

sudo killall coreaudiod

.. in a terminal will totally reset your macs audio driver subsystem. Works a loving treat on my saffire anyway. gently caress focusrites "Plugging in your firewire into a turned on computer will BLOW poo poo UP" warning. Its not true, its just focusrites software is too lazy to give coreaudio a kick when it detects a new device. No idea if theres a similar solution for windows. Shits funky under a windows hood.

I have no idea if there is a similar trick for

Franz Liszt 96
Dec 15, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

duck monster posted:

No it isn't

There have been no serious studies that have found these actually have any serious effect on the brain, but plenty that show no correlation.

Don't buy into pseudoscience.

It's a real audio effect. It doesn't produce a drug-like effect. End.

Does anyone use traktor? I want to get it to let me sync double or half tempo on songs that it mis-reads the tempo for so that I don't get ridiculous speed-ups and slow-downs when syncing. Any ideas? The interface doesn't really have a lot of options. I don't think I can even type a tempo in, I have to slide the slider.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Franz Liszt 96 posted:

Does anyone use traktor? I want to get it to let me sync double or half tempo on songs that it mis-reads the tempo for so that I don't get ridiculous speed-ups and slow-downs when syncing. Any ideas? The interface doesn't really have a lot of options. I don't think I can even type a tempo in, I have to slide the slider.
You can type a BPM and there are buttons for halving or doubling the bpm (they look like [*2] and [/2] I believe). You can do this in the "Grid" tab that displays under the waveform view area for a deck. If you don't see that section, you may have to go to preferences to expand the view for each deck (there are different options like compact, expanded, etc.). This is definitely available in Traktor 2, S4 and Scratch pro. Not sure about older versions, but I imagine any version with beat gridding can do it.

Mradyfist
Sep 3, 2007

People that can eat people are the luckiest people in the world

Franz Liszt 96 posted:

It's a real audio effect. It doesn't produce a drug-like effect. End.

Once you're looking at the grid section, double-click the tempo to type a new one in. Also, make sure you don't have the track's grid locked, or you won't be able to make any changes.

Franz Liszt 96
Dec 15, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
thanks, I found it. there's a lot of hidden options! you can bring up more options by double clicking.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So I moved to my new place today, I get my computer all set back up, plug in my Firebox. And it wont recognize it, the light goes blue for 2 seconds then to red. I've tried reinstalling drivers, reinstalling firewire drivers, tried installing windows drivers. My last resort trouble shooting is going to be buying new cables or reinstalling windows.

So if all else fails, what is a good replacement interface for the Firebox? Somewhere in the 200-300 dollar range.

EDIT: How is the Saffire Pro 24?

EDIT2: Tested Firebox on different computer with same cable, same issue, down to cable issue or device issue.

iSheep fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 2, 2012

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
What do people think of this article on doing getting the best results you can with only one mic, One-Mic Madness? I only have one dynamic mic and one condenser mic at my disposal, so I'm hoping these are good tips.

Wubbles
Oct 30, 2011
Is there some program that has any capacity to transcribe audio to sheet music? Sorry if this question isn't appropriate for this thread.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Manky posted:

What do people think of this article on doing getting the best results you can with only one mic, One-Mic Madness? I only have one dynamic mic and one condenser mic at my disposal, so I'm hoping these are good tips.

Yea unless you are recording a full band/ensemble or live drums you are good to go with the two mics you have and the tips at that site apply. I have a SM57 and a Rode NT2a and with those I can record pretty much anything I need guitar/vocals wise.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

keyframe posted:

Yea unless you are recording a full band/ensemble or live drums you are good to go with the two mics you have and the tips at that site apply. I have a SM57 and a Rode NT2a and with those I can record pretty much anything I need guitar/vocals wise.

Cool. I have a Blue Ball dynamic and a Shure SM87, and since I sadly can rarely get together with other people, all I'll really be recording is a guitar amp, bass amp, maybe an acoustic guitar, maybe a banjo, maybe a cajon, and vocals. At separate times, of course.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Splinter posted:

That's good news. What I read was warning of comb filtering as you move your head horizontally when the speakers are on their side (same thing would happen as you move up and down when mounted vertically). Any opinion on tweeters in or out? I always assumed out..

I'd be more worried about changing the width of the stereo field, does the manual for your studio monitors have vertical and horizontal polar plots to show their coverage patterns/angles?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
I'm having problems with my setup. I'm using Ableton with a Lexicon Alpha interface and a Shure mic. The mic input keeps crashing. One minute I'll be hearing what I'm playing, then it'll go "BZZZZZZZZZZ". Rebooting Ableton fixes it, but it's a pain.

I've always had this problem, but lately it's been happening the second I open a project. Any ideas?

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

I have access to five 18" x 18" (or so) quality pieces of acoustic foam. I make electronic music in my bedroom and have some moderately okay monitors. Should I take this foam and put it up in my bedroom? Would it do anything for me? And, if so, where would the best places to put it be?

Hogscraper
Nov 6, 2004

Audio master
What do you mean by foam? Do you mean actual foam or dense fiberglass. They are two different things. Foam won't do much for you in a small room. Foam is going to disperse high frequencies a bit which is nice but it's not going to help you get a better mix in a small room that has inconsistent bass response.

I mean, if it's free go ahead and snag it. You're not hurting anything by putting it up but it's not going to make a night and day difference in a small room like some bass trapping will.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

This stuff:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Speaking of foam what is the cheapest way to do this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RX7f

I really dont want to pay $100 to a piece of foam assuming that is all it is.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Setting your monitors on $5 worth of rubber feet from Home Depot might be 60% of the way there (don't screw them into your monitors obviously), and I guess you could try to build some kind of isolation block out of carpet. But in terms of effectiveness/space ratio, those acoustic foam solutions are pretty ideal.

The Auralex MoPads are significantly cheaper than that and a lot of studios use them. You could probably get by balancing your monitors on 1 pad each, but in the end the amount of foam is going to make a difference in terms of isolation. You could start with 1 MoPad under each monitor and buy another pair if you thought more would help.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Awesome I will buy those MoPads this week. Thanks for the tip.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
There is now a free version of studio one which supports unlimited tracks and instruments when recording.

http://studioone.presonus.com/free/

illestG
Oct 8, 2009

Don't know if anyone has a Roland SP-808, but I'm thinking about getting one to record and sequence beats from my SP-404 and synthesizer. I was debating getting an audio interface like the M-audio fast track, but I figured recording into the 808 would be better because of all the effects and just the fact that I would be able to use 2 samplers at once. My only concern is whether or not the 808 is good for sequencing, or even multi-track recording for that matter. If anyone has one of these puppies, give me your two cents. Thanks in advance.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Holy poo poo how did I only just realize the potential of abletons warp feature for writing riffs and parts.

Play a bunch of dumb poo poo, find and loop the best bit, warp it until its something interesting.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.

massive spider posted:

Holy poo poo how did I only just realize the potential of abletons warp feature for writing riffs and parts.

Play a bunch of dumb poo poo, find and loop the best bit, warp it until its something interesting.

Absolutely. I've been doing this for years. I keep telling fellow "traditional" songwriters that Ableton is the hands-down best DAW for rapidly iterating and coming up with parts.

I can't write a song with a traditional timeline nowadays.

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd
I'm looking to buy a simple guitar interface for PC that allows me to record multiple tracks using different modeled amps and a built-in drum machine with configurable bpm. Any recommendations? I'd like to spend less than 200 if at all possible. As far as the drum machine component is concerned, I would prefer something simple that doesn't require a lot of fussing to get a beat going. Its really just to get ideas recorded.

Severed fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 16, 2012

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm trying to get my home-recording studio set up as cheaply as possible-I was looking at an M-Audio Fast Track USB as an audio interface, and using an SM57 to mic my amp, and getting a pop-screen to record vocals through it - but it's mounting up to the best part of 200 quid with cables and whatnot.

I saw someone recommend a TASCAM 424 and the idea seems very nice, but I don't have line-in on any of my computers(only mic-level) - any suggestions on that front?

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

I'm not sure whether to post this in here or in Inspect Your Gadgets, but I figure it's more studio-related.

Lately, I've been considering buying an iPad - mostly as an organizational tool and an e-book device, but I can sort of see it working for me in the studio environment. I have a TINY home recording/editing setup based around my laptop, but I work in a larger studio. Does anyone in this thread have experience with the iPad as a tool for studio work, recall, takesheet/paperwork/gear inventory management, gathering data with an app like AudioTools, or, perhaps most importantly for my home projects, as a DAW controller using something like this? I'd be interested in hearing examples of people's integration of the thing into their workflow (or examples that would indicate that it's a stupid idea, for that matter.)

With regard to that last link: damned if the idea of a touchscreen controller doesn't sound better than laying out the cash for a hardware control unit from Digi. But it sounds like there has to be a catch...

vvvv oh dang, that solid, huh?

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 16, 2012

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

strangemusic posted:

I'm not sure whether to post this in here or in Inspect Your Gadgets, but I figure it's more studio-related.

Lately, I've been considering buying an iPad - mostly as an organizational tool, but I can sort of see it working for me in the studio environment. I have a TINY home recording/editing setup based around my laptop, but I work in a larger studio. Does anyone in this thread have experience with the iPad as a tool for studio work, recall, takesheet/paperwork/gear inventory management, gathering data with an app like AudioTools, or, perhaps most importantly for my home projects, as a DAW controller using something like this? I'd be interested in hearing examples of people's integration of the thing into their workflow (or examples that would indicate that it's a stupid idea, for that matter.)

With regard to that last link: damned if the idea of a touchscreen controller doesn't sound better than laying out the cash for a hardware control unit from Digi. But it sounds like there has to be a catch...

There is no catch. V-control works flawlessly, I use it every day. Dont waste money on hardware controllers if you have a ipad.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

Southern Heel posted:

I'm trying to get my home-recording studio set up as cheaply as possible-I was looking at an M-Audio Fast Track USB as an audio interface, and using an SM57 to mic my amp, and getting a pop-screen to record vocals through it - but it's mounting up to the best part of 200 quid with cables and whatnot.

I saw someone recommend a TASCAM 424 and the idea seems very nice, but I don't have line-in on any of my computers(only mic-level) - any suggestions on that front?

Well, if you really wanna go as cheap as possible, here's what I do: Old Tascam Porta 02 casette 4-track ($20 on eBay, would have been free if I could find my brother's old one from Jr. High), Behringer UCA-222 or UCA-202 ($20 - $35, just use whichever you can find cheaper). Guitar -> EFX -> Tascam as a mixer, then connect the 4-track to the Behringer with an RCA to RCA cable. Behringer plugs into your USB port, and download Audacity (free, obviously). It's not perfect (my Tascam is a little hissy) but it works...

EDIT: Obviously this setup is Cheap with a capital C, but I'm sure it gives you some ideas. You'd need to use a microphone with a 1/4" plug (IE not a good one) if you wanted to mic your amp, for example.

Brettbot fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 17, 2012

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
I think this might be the right spot to ask this, although the hardware forum might be another stop, but its related to a mixing console with a firewire port. And I have a laptop that does not have a firewire port and no PCMCIA but it does have USB 3.0 and Ethernet.

Do any of you have experience with any Firewire to USB adapters or hubs? Or, are there any Fireware to LAN adapters that you have used?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Physical posted:

I think this might be the right spot to ask this, although the hardware forum might be another stop, but its related to a mixing console with a firewire port. And I have a laptop that does not have a firewire port and no PCMCIA but it does have USB 3.0 and Ethernet.

Do any of you have experience with any Firewire to USB adapters or hubs? Or, are there any Fireware to LAN adapters that you have used?

You're better off replacing either the mixing console or the laptop, because there's no easy way to get either of them to talk to each other.