Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

I think the real reason Twenty Twelve was renewed is that it's actually a documentary:

quote:

London 2012 organisers have reportedly inquired about The Who drummer Keith Moon's availability to perform at the Games - 34 years after he died.

The band's manager Bill Curbishley told the Sunday Times he had been approached to see if Moon ' would be available' to play.

'I emailed back saying Keith now resides in Golders Green crematorium, having lived up to the Who's anthemic line 'I hope I die before I get old',' said Curbishley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I.

What.

What!

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I just noticed that the Netflix adverts seem to be advertising films that aren't actually on the service. One of the ads shows Iron Man 2 prominently, yet neither of the Iron Man films are on the service; only the 90's cartoon and a crappy anime.

Isn't that false advertising, or something?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Hey, Baccano is not crappy anime.

Nether is Gurren Lagann for that matter.

I'll concede the Iron Man point though.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Veotax posted:

I just noticed that the Netflix adverts seem to be advertising films that aren't actually on the service. One of the ads shows Iron Man 2 prominently, yet neither of the Iron Man films are on the service; only the 90's cartoon and a crappy anime.

Isn't that false advertising, or something?

Random guess - their ad campaign is international and shows what yanks can get, not what we can get?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Complain to the ASA! See what they make of it.

http://www.asa.org.uk/Complaints/How-to-complain.aspx

This is what they're for.

Quentine
May 1, 2006
Of course. I'm deep. Just don't tell nobody.
According to the Internet, Series 4 of The Thick of It has started filming outside Westminster. Yessss.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
In case anyone missed it, Gregory's Girl aka The Best Coming-of-Age Film Ever is on iPlayer for another couple of days.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

ConanThe3rd posted:

TTGL is one of the best things I've ever watched. I don't think I've ever seen another show where the protagonist overcomes almost all adversity with such a sheer "gently caress this bollocks" attitude.

It's a shame that a lot of anime lends itself to getting a bad rap by being terrible, but it is just another form of storytelling and sometimes you get amazing things (TTGL being one of them).

Veotax
May 16, 2006

ConanThe3rd posted:

Hey, Baccano is not crappy anime.

I'll concede the Iron Man point though.

No, I mean it was an Iron Man anime. I was was bored enough to watch it, it was pretty crappy.
I got nothing against anime in general.

quote:

Complain to the ASA! See what they make of it.

http://www.asa.org.uk/Complaints/How-to-complain.aspx

This is what they're for.
Eh, why not?
I'll do that, thanks.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Kin posted:

TTGL is one of the best things I've ever watched. I don't think I've ever seen another show where the protagonist overcomes almost all adversity with such a sheer "gently caress this bollocks" attitude.

It's a shame that a lot of anime lends itself to getting a bad rap by being terrible, but it is just another form of storytelling and sometimes you get amazing things (TTGL being one of them).

Anime went all poo poo after 2002, then TTGL gave me hope one day of the return of the glory days before the pedo pandering and god awfully lame slice of life school shows.

But dammit, this BRITISH TV THREAD. I'm eagerly looking forward to new Thick Of It.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

SeanBeansShako posted:

Anime went all poo poo after 2002,

Watch Redline. Best anime in years.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Watch Redline. Best anime in years.

I'll make note of that then.

Any good documentaries on iPlayer at the moment too?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I feel like I may have undersold that. Redline's pretty much a modern masterpiece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2H_FsmxWzc

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'll make note of that then.

Any good documentaries on iPlayer at the moment too?

If you haven't seen it already, South Pacific looks like it's being repeated at the moment. There's some phenomenal cinematography in it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00kjjnx/South_Pacific_Series_1_Ocean_of_Islands/

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.
And if you've not seen it, I thought Stalin: 1941 and the man of steel was pretty good. Kept me watching for a full 90 minutes at least, worth a go.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Al2001 posted:

In case anyone missed it, Gregory's Girl aka The Best Coming-of-Age Film Ever is on iPlayer for another couple of days.

watched this on your recommendation and really enjoyed it. Dee Hepburn in her football kit :swoon: The bird from Altered Images in it as well! wonderful

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

meme posted:

And if you've not seen it, I thought Stalin: 1941 and the man of steel was pretty good. Kept me watching for a full 90 minutes at least, worth a go.

Is that new? I remember watching a great doc about Stalin during the war around a year or so ago and it was brilliant. Not sure if it's the same one, though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

If it ends on a quote about his secretary realising the horror of Stalins future after the man gets out of his post invasion fugue you've seen that one yeah.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Bad news for broadcasters, Equity have done some research into whether or not the audience mind poo poo being put over the credits at the end of programmes and apparently aesthetics matters to them;

quote:

The views of performers have frequently been dismissed as nothing more than self-interest, most famously by former BBC 1 controller Lorraine Hegessey who is reported to have said that only actors and their mothers were interested in credits. But Equity’s experience is that whenever the subject of TV credits is aired in public we receive a large postbag from ordinary viewers expressing dissatisfaction and sometimes outrage at unreadable credits on programme after programme.

Are these letters typical of viewer opinion? In order to find out, Equity launched a survey of members and viewers in the Autumn of 2011. The quantity and strength of the response surprised even Equity, and should make alarming reading for any broadcaster.

In a few weeks 10,020 viewers completed the survey and their message to the broadcasters is that they detest the way TV credits are screened. They have detailed how much they are disgusted by it over the 500 pages of this report.
While the viewers who took part in this survey may be a tiny fraction of the millions of UK citizens who watch TV every day, there is very little comfort for broadcasters in their responses. Just 2.2% believe that credits are not important for viewers. Even fewer (1.1%) think they are unimportant for actors. Only 7.9% like having on-screen information about the next programme while the credits are running, a massive 95.2% dislike split-screening and squeezing credits, only 3.8% think on-line credits are a good substitute and 88.7% get very annoyed at the way credits have become unreadable.

This is a huge thumbs-down for the broadcasters and Equity believes it would be a mistake for these findings to be dismissed. It is Equity’s view that the demand for a change to the way TV credits are screened is now so overwhelming that the broadcasters must listen and respond.

Christine Payne
General Secretary

It came out at the start of the year, and it'd be nice to see broadcasters taking notice of this (but they won't because they don't care what you think). That report - including all 494 pages of responses - in full http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62031/credit-where-its-due.pdf

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
I know I'm probably in a weird minority that always tries to watch the credits of any TV show or film in their entirety, even when at the cinema, but it's good to know that other 'normal' people agree.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I like to know who worked on things because if there's one element of the programme that I particularly enjoyed (whether it be acting, directing, writing, editing or lighting), I might want to check out anything else they've worked on. Having the credits right there to grab a name from is just common sense. I just hope Equity has remembered that it's cast and crew who appear in credits.

(I am also one of the ones who feels an obligation to give up 30 seconds/five minutes of my time to watch the credits of the people who spent weeks/months/years of their time making what I just watched, and it's heartening to know I'm not in nearly as small a minority as I might have thought.)

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
In our house turning over during the credits of a movie or even a first run show is pretty much an insult. I mean even in an utterly average movie maybe the boom mic guy was just loving killing it every day.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Trin Tragula posted:

(I am also one of the ones who feels an obligation to give up 30 seconds/five minutes of my time to watch the credits of the people who spent weeks/months/years of their time making what I just watched, and it's heartening to know I'm not in nearly as small a minority as I might have thought.)

I also do this.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Richard Herring's new podcast should be good, here's his guest list
7th May Tim Minchin
14th May TBA
21st May Charlie Higson
28th May Charlie Brooker
11th June TBA
18th June Stewart Lee
25th June Graham Linehan

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

What sort of show is it? Can't stand the little I've seen of Tim Minchin and Linehan can be a little preachy, but that's a really good list.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

tanglewood1420 posted:

I know I'm probably in a weird minority that always tries to watch the credits of any TV show or film in their entirety, even when at the cinema, but it's good to know that other 'normal' people agree.

If I'm watching a movie with friends then at the end we try and find the oddest, or most amusing name possible. It's not really showing appreciation for the people involved, but you sure can't do that with credit squeeze! :arghfist::mad:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Mickolution posted:

What sort of show is it? Can't stand the little I've seen of Tim Minchin and Linehan can be a little preachy, but that's a really good list.

It'll probably be like his Edinburgh show where he pretty much just interviewed comedians, which was generally pretty good, especially considering he did it for 24 days in a row alongside his normal show.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

It'll probably be like his Edinburgh show where he pretty much just interviewed comedians, which was generally pretty good, especially considering he did it for 24 days in a row alongside his normal show.

Nice one. Looking forward to it, though those types of things are often a little self-indulgent.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

NaDy posted:

If I'm watching a movie with friends then at the end we try and find the oddest, or most amusing name possible. It's not really showing appreciation for the people involved, but you sure can't do that with credit squeeze! :arghfist::mad:

I do this too, but I don't think I'll ever again find someone who can beat camera and electrical engineer Wang Dong :(

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

NaDy posted:

I love that game! My favourite name so far is Butch Kitchen.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
In the eyes of the television stations, the fact viewers prefer to see the credits not promotions will never trump promotions that have the effect of even modest increases in viewers for subsequent programmes. The only ones who might change it is the industry unions acting on behalf of those in the credits.

Personally I can't remember the last time I watched them; I've either hit the stop button on the recording or started channel hopping.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
I'm not the biggest lover of credits just for the sake of them, but I love Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire and Treme for having a different song at the end of each episode, and it loving kills me that on it's new home, Mad Men now gets spoken over by some Sky Atlantic lackey.

CydonianKnight
May 7, 2007

What do you want? Toothpaste in my eye!

NaDy posted:

Mykola Pawluk has been the editor of a hell of a lot of BBC TV shows over the years.

lazyjane
Aug 24, 2003

Lemurs, Man, Lemurs
Not a British show but the co-producers name on the credits of 'Once Upon a Time' always makes me laugh.

Brain Wankum.

Poor bloke :(

Kraxis
May 14, 2007

lazyjane posted:

Brain Wankum.

I hope for his sake that this is a typo.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Kraxis posted:

Unfortunately (for us) it is.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

CydonianKnight posted:

Mykola Pawluk has been the editor of a hell of a lot of BBC TV shows over the years.

I always see he name, it's like he knows I'm watching.

lazyjane
Aug 24, 2003

Lemurs, Man, Lemurs

Kraxis posted:

Argh, drat my clumsy fingers.

Brain Wankum would have been an even greater name. He should change it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

incredible bear posted:

I'm not the biggest lover of credits just for the sake of them, but I love Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire and Treme for having a different song at the end of each episode, and it loving kills me that on it's new home, Mad Men now gets spoken over by some Sky Atlantic lackey.

For a second, I thought you were talking about the Boardwalk opening titles, which are awful, or at least really not suited to the show. Mad Men had "He Hit Me (It Felt Like A Kiss)" last week, which is one of my favourite songs (if not the nicest, lyrically).

On this note, Treme is probably the best opening song on TV, which isn't very surprising. The music throughout is excellent.