Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlueFootedBoobie
Feb 15, 2005

It seems like Linksys is releasing some new models, including this guy:

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-EA3500-App-Enabled-Dual-Band-Wireless-N/dp/B007IL6OR2/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

I know it going to far too too early to tell if they're any good, but based on specs or whatever, is it worth holding off on an e3000 and getting one in a month or two when there's been at one firmware update?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't most(all?) of the new Linksys models incompatible with Tomato? I currently have a gimped DD-WRT and am looking to upgrade to a new router from my WRT54G2. From what I've read, Tomato is overall a lot more stable/solid while DD-WRT varies between firmware versions/who programs it/etc.

Is there any reason to buy the shiniest new Linksys out there?

Currently looking at a used/refurbished E3000 if that makes any difference.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Rexxed posted:

I believe the thread consensus is that the airport express is pretty bad, while its big brother is decent (the airport extreme I think?) There were some recent posts about it in the last couple of weeks. A better router would probably help a lot, being in the same room and having connection issues is indicative of a problem.

The Express is a serviceable WAP, but a terrible router.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Roving Reporter posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't most(all?) of the new Linksys models incompatible with Tomato?

Currently looking at a used/refurbished E3000 if that makes any difference.
There are forks that support the newer routers. These also have larger feature sets in addition to supporting new routers, such as better drivers, better QoS out of the box, VLAN capability. Teaman is new and pretty fresh, and also on Google Code so you get changelogs. Toastman has been around a little longer and you have to deal with 4shared if you like updating your software.

Nilryna
Jan 2, 2004

=^o^=
Just picked up a ASUS RT-N66U to replace my old setup. I'm really glad I did. I absolutely love it. Even with just the updated firmware from ASUS I think it's great. :swoon:

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I've been using a VPN tunnel service recently and I've been noticing that my upload speeds triple when I use it meanwhile my download speed is halved. Despite this my torrent downloads increase by a lot. Is the VPN tunnel somehow bypassing my ISPs pipeline restrictions?

Edit: Also how can I harness this power for hosting games/other things?

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 15, 2012

Tesla Was Robbed
Oct 4, 2002
I AM A LIAR

VitaminZinc posted:

Just picked up a ASUS RT-N66U to replace my old setup. I'm really glad I did. I absolutely love it. Even with just the updated firmware from ASUS I think it's great. :swoon:

I really want one, but I don't know if the cost is worth it over an n16 and n12 set as a WAP. The extra money could go to a bunch of beer or diapers or something.

Nilryna
Jan 2, 2004

=^o^=

Tesla Was Robbed posted:

I really want one, but I don't know if the cost is worth it over an n16 and n12 set as a WAP. The extra money could go to a bunch of beer or diapers or something.

Yeah, probably not as much of an upgrade for you if you already have that.

I had a wired dlink with a dlink WAP hooked on. My situation is like going from a bicycle to a Harley...

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

VitaminZinc posted:

It has a rather impressive feature list. How stable is you connection?

Nilryna
Jan 2, 2004

=^o^=

Devian666 posted:

I've only been hooked up for a few days, but so far it's drat stable. Laptop on the exact opposite side of the house downloads about as fast as if it were in the same room.

Also, who could resist a router that's called "The Dark Knight"...

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

WYA posted:

I've been using a VPN tunnel service recently and I've been noticing that my upload speeds triple when I use it meanwhile my download speed is halved. Despite this my torrent downloads increase by a lot. Is the VPN tunnel somehow bypassing my ISPs pipeline restrictions?

Edit: Also how can I harness this power for hosting games/other things?

Bit torrent speeds go to poo poo when your upload gets capped out. If you manually set your upload speed to slightly less than your maximum, it should help your download speeds.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
It's possible your ISP is throttling your connection based on the fact it's transferring a lot of data to a lot of destinations and from a lot of sources. With a VPN, all your ISP sees is one big transfer (though if they were clever they could probably take a good guess that you're torrenting anyway).

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Devian666 posted:

I'm running Tomato on this guy (ASUS RT-N66U) and it's been rock solid for about a month.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Some VPN providers will assign you a publicly routable IP address, which might help BitTorrent a lot, specifically if you haven't configured port forwarding or UPNP on your regular connection. If that's the case then it has nothing to do with throttling.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

UndyingShadow posted:

I'm running Tomato on this guy (ASUS RT-N66U) and it's been rock solid for about a month.

Could you provide a link to the tomato build. I'm not an expert on tomato but I'm thinking about a minor op update.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Per my question on the last page, I just bought a new router (Netgear WNDR 3700). When I set it up and it asks me to input my PPPoE settings, it takes them and says it successfully connected to the Internet (when I input my info wrong it tells me so). However, when I'm finished with setup I have no internet access. In the router manager I don't have an IP address or DNS server (both are set to be assigned automatically), but on my devices each show up as having IP and DNS of 192.168.1.x. Windows troubleshooting tells me it's my modem, and Lenovo Diagnostic tools tells me to check my firewall. If I plug my old crappy router back in, it works fine. My friend, who set up the old router and has forgotten the password to access its settings (so I can't compare them), tells me all that was needed was the PPPoE info. Does anyone have any idea what the likely problem is?

Mozi fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 16, 2012

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Mozi posted:

Per my question on the last page, I just bought a new router (Netgear WNDR 3700). When I set it up and it asks me to input my PPPoE settings, it takes them and says it successfully connected to the Internet (when I input my info wrong it tells me so). However, when I'm finished with setup I have no internet access. In the router manager I don't have an IP address or DNS server (both are set to be assigned automatically), but on my devices each show up as having IP and DNS of 192.168.1.x. Windows troubleshooting tells me it's my modem, and Lenovo Diagnostic tools tells me to check my firewall. If I plug my old crappy router back in, it works fine. My friend, who set up the old router and has forgotten the password to access its settings (so I can't compare them), tells me all that was needed was the PPPoE info. Does anyone have any idea what the likely problem is?

Who is your ISP, and what kind of DSL modem are you using? Does the new router show a valid WAN IP?

On a personal note, with the amount of streaming I'm doing to various devices in my house, I need to upgrade to something faster than a 54G connection. I need a WAP/bridgeable router that can act as a gigabit switch and a N access point. The upgrade is mostly being driven by streaming 1080P stuff to an ATV3 and iPads/iPhones. I would love to stay under 50 bucks, but will consider anything under 100 for this particular project.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 16, 2012

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Mozi posted:

Are you sure your modem isn't making the connection? If your modem is connecting itself (has the log in details for your connection) you can select the option under does your connection require a log in to NO. Then all you need is to input your modem's IP address, subnet mask and gateway address. All of which will be on a different subnet to the router and the devices connected to the router.

I recommend checking the settings on your modem because if it has connection and log in details then it's unnecessary to access your old router.

Cockwhore
Jul 10, 2005
a quintessence of dust
OpenVPN question:

I want to be able to access my home server from far away, and in particular I want to be able to mount shared folders. I enabled VPN tunneling on my tomato-flashed Linksys E3000, generated various keys, and setup Tunnelblick on my laptop. It seems to connect successfully, but trying to mount a folder (using the IP which would have been local if I was connected to the same network as the server), times out. When I check the IP address of my laptop, it's the same as it was before the VPN connection was established (I was expecting to see the IP of the network on which the VPN server is located). I've tried alternating between TUN/TAP, and checking "sending all traffic through VPN connection", all to no avail. Even tried setting up a PPTP VPN connection, connecting it it via system preferences, and while it still seems to connect successfully, everything is exactly like trying to connect with Tunnelblock to OpenVPN.

Am I completely misunderstanding what a VPN is and what it's used for?

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Cockwhore posted:

OpenVPN question:

I want to be able to access my home server from far away, and in particular I want to be able to mount shared folders. I enabled VPN tunneling on my tomato-flashed Linksys E3000, generated various keys, and setup Tunnelblick on my laptop. It seems to connect successfully, but trying to mount a folder (using the IP which would have been local if I was connected to the same network as the server), times out. When I check the IP address of my laptop, it's the same as it was before the VPN connection was established (I was expecting to see the IP of the network on which the VPN server is located). I've tried alternating between TUN/TAP, and checking "sending all traffic through VPN connection", all to no avail. Even tried setting up a PPTP VPN connection, connecting it it via system preferences, and while it still seems to connect successfully, everything is exactly like trying to connect with Tunnelblock to OpenVPN.

Am I completely misunderstanding what a VPN is and what it's used for?

What operating system is your server running? If I remember correctly I had to go into my Windows Server 2k8 install and tell it to accept connections from a VPN. Not sure how it knew it wasn't a local connection, though.

Cockwhore
Jul 10, 2005
a quintessence of dust

Triikan posted:

What operating system is your server running? If I remember correctly I had to go into my Windows Server 2k8 install and tell it to accept connections from a VPN. Not sure how it knew it wasn't a local connection, though.

It's a Synology server running a flavor of Linux called busybox. Looking through the documentation I can't find anything about accepting connections from a VPN.

I was under the impression that once I've connected, it would be indistinguishable from being on my home network (albeit slower, obviously). Is my understanding wrong?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Hey guys,
I need a little help. I have a Linksys WRT-320n. I am tired of unplugging it every few days to get it to run at full speed again. I want to flash TomatoUSB to it. Is there anything special I need to do? DD-WRT instructions I noticed you need to install a different kind first.

I already figured out I need Kernel 2.6 and MIPSR2 from the TomatoUSB site.

I see Shibby and Toastman are popular branches of TomatoUSB but their websites are a little intimidating, just being file folders with tons of different versions. I am afraid of picking the wrong one. Is there anyway to check first, or does anybody else have the same model?

I really appreciate the help, I know it is kind of basic but I just don't want to mess up. :)

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
My SO just moved into a small new apartment and needs a wireless router for her macbook pro for (hopefully) under $60. What should I tell her to get?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Avian Pneumonia posted:

My SO just moved into a small new apartment and needs a wireless router for her macbook pro for (hopefully) under $60. What should I tell her to get?

The routers in the OP are pretty decent. Depending how willing you are to tinker, I'd try the monoprice one, then look into more expensive options if it doesn't pan out. If you don't want to have any possibility of problems, go for the mid range ones right off the bat. The E2000 is right at your price range on Amazon at the moment.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
Is there any reason I shouldn't go with the monoprice unit? Is it worth the extra dough to go for the e2000?

Also: Is there anything I should know/keep in mind given that this would be for a macbook pro? I know almost nothing about apple, letalone their wireless situation.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
The wireless on Apple computers is completely stock. There's some quirks in their routers, but there's no gotchas on their desktops, laptops, or iOS devices.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Is there any reason I shouldn't go with the monoprice unit? Is it worth the extra dough to go for the e2000?

Do not buy the monoprice wireless N router. It's a steaming, flaming, gurgling pile of fetid poop.

We've RMA'ed 16 of the bastards out of 20 ordered and I'll personally happily stomp the poo poo out of any more I find in the field. They are horrible.

It's too bad, a lot of monoprice's stuff is cheap *and* good, this was just cheap.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
I'm looking at 100mbit downstream cable service. My present service (Uverse, ugh) has an ISP-provided router so I'll need to get myself a router, which is fine. I suppose what I'm asking is, would any decent router be able to handle that fast of a WAN connection just fine, or should I be looking at faster/more expensive routers? My only real requirements are 802.11n with MIMO and a gigabit switch in the router. I need to do some port forwarding but nothing too complicated.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Make sure whatever you're looking at is at 100 or higher (preferably a bit higher if your provider does Speed Boost) on this chart:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/view

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Hmmmmm. Local store (Micro Center) has the Asus Black Diamond for $109, so...why wouldn't I just go with the fastest drat router on that list? :v: Anyone have that router?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Powdered Toast Man posted:

Hmmmmm. Local store (Micro Center) has the Asus Black Diamond for $109, so...why wouldn't I just go with the fastest drat router on that list? :v: Anyone have that router?
Smallnetbuilder seems to like it:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/31436-asus-rt-n56u-black-diamond-dual-band-gigabit-wireless-n-router-reviewed

The downsides appear to be: no custom firmware support, no 450mbps Wi-Fi

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
I'm trying to figure out the best way to accomplish something.

I have a Belkin Share Max N300 (F7D3301/F7D7301) v1 running Tomato 1.28 (Toastman VPN USB) or something along those lines so I can hook my NTFS HDD to it;

I've got a Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N running V24-SP2 build 18289 of DDWRT.

I'd like to join them together (wirelessly) to extend my network outside my house. I tried WDS, but had no luck. I also did a site survey on the DDWRT router, and joined the network from the Belkin, set the right key, and had no luck. Is there anything else I can try?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

uapyro posted:

I'm trying to figure out the best way to accomplish something.

I have a Belkin Share Max N300 (F7D3301/F7D7301) v1 running Tomato 1.28 (Toastman VPN USB) or something along those lines so I can hook my NTFS HDD to it;

I've got a Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N running V24-SP2 build 18289 of DDWRT.

I'd like to join them together (wirelessly) to extend my network outside my house. I tried WDS, but had no luck. I also did a site survey on the DDWRT router, and joined the network from the Belkin, set the right key, and had no luck. Is there anything else I can try?

If you want to do this, you'll need to set up WDS. It's a pain in the rear end, and it absolutely kills bandwidth (I hope you weren't hoping to stream any files over that connection) but it should work. Make sure you set both routers to WDS mode, duplicate the wireless setup exactly (same SSID, same channel manually set, same exact security) and give them each other's MAC addresses.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Powdered Toast Man posted:

I had it in the op for a while but dropped it specifically because it's unstable and no custom firmware to make it worth the money.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Space Gopher posted:

If you want to do this, you'll need to set up WDS. It's a pain in the rear end, and it absolutely kills bandwidth (I hope you weren't hoping to stream any files over that connection) but it should work. Make sure you set both routers to WDS mode, duplicate the wireless setup exactly (same SSID, same channel manually set, same exact security) and give them each other's MAC addresses.

Thanks, I believe it was only the channel I was missing! Luckily, it'll only be for web browsing outside the house.

Would there be an easy way to assign different IP addresses for the DDWRT device? Would a virtual wireless network (second SSID) work when I have WDS setup right?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
gently caress, is there a modern day equivalent of the WRT54GL? I'm running one with Tomato, and it's great, but I'm not sure I want to stick with it since there are so many forks now. Though looking at DD-WRT, the project as a whole seems pretty fragmented.

I had 0 problems with Tomato on the WRT54GL, is there a modern day equivalent God router (aka one that does N well)? I'm willing to switch to DD-WRT, or go with a tomato fork that's going to be around for more than two months.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Another question about extending WiFi range, but with a slightly different setup.

I have a plain Linksys router that has routing turned off and is essentially just a wireless access point. The actual routing is done through a NAT gateway setup on a HTPC/home server. There already is some CAT-5 cabling running to where the new WAP would be.

With that in mind, am I correct to conclude that I can simply get another router, set it up with the same SSID, WPA key and channel, and hook it up to the Ethernet network with no added setup necessary?

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!

FISHMANPET posted:

gently caress, is there a modern day equivalent of the WRT54GL?

I'm very happy with my Asus rt-16n. I picked it up last week and was looking for the same thing you are.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

Devian666 posted:

I had it in the op for a while but dropped it specifically because it's unstable and no custom firmware to make it worth the money.

What about the Black Knight? (I want to make a Monty Python joke so bad)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..
So, I ordered a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH and got a G300NH2 from Newegg. Does this version still work with DD-WRT or Gargoyle?