Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Any good beer places in SF other than monks kettle and toronado? Preferably near financial district?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

City Beer Store.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Celebrating being alive with Flying Fish's Belgian Style Dubbel, unfortunately my car isn't going to fare too well. Wish I could find a bargain like I did when I bought my old car, where the gently caress else you find a car with 79k miles for $500? On the topic of beer again, the more I drink this beer the more I like it. I think Flying Fish recently revamped all of their beer because this and the ESB Amber Ale are definitely a tad better than I ever remember, the Dubbel is tasting more "authentic" than I ever remember it.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I cracked a new-batch Lost Abbey Cuvee de Tomme this evening. There's quite a lot of woody barrel character, the cherries come through pretty well, and there's moderate but not overwhelming sourness and funk. More time in the bottle will only do good things to it. If I had to find something to complain about, it would be the very low carbonation (cork came out without even a little hiss, no head, barely any fizzing of any kind), but that's not really a dealbreaker in this kind beer.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

ShaneB posted:

City Beer Store.

Go here. Seriously. Awesome regular selection, and if you're ready to throw down for something special, an extensive cellar too.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS
http://www.sandiegoreader.com/weblogs/feast/2012/apr/12/a-peek-at-the-beer-list-from-the-final-real-ale-fe/

Went last night, had the day off. Showed up late, Entry was $20 and work will reimburse me $15. Had a grand time. I tried: 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 13, 14, 16, 17, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 28 29 30 31 34 37 38 39 40 VIP= 2, 3 4 5 6

Bagby's last stand was easily the best, so I walked over and told him so!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

bartolimu posted:

I cracked a new-batch Lost Abbey Cuvee de Tomme this evening. There's quite a lot of woody barrel character, the cherries come through pretty well, and there's moderate but not overwhelming sourness and funk. More time in the bottle will only do good things to it. If I had to find something to complain about, it would be the very low carbonation (cork came out without even a little hiss, no head, barely any fizzing of any kind), but that's not really a dealbreaker in this kind beer.

This years, like most years, has pretty much no carbonation. It's a Cuvee de Tomme thing.

When I had it this year it really had a strong tartness and cherry cordial-like flavor. I found it made an excellent dessert-beer and paired well with some dark chocolate.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Munkaboo posted:

Any good beer places in SF other than monks kettle and toronado? Preferably near financial district?

I'm not a native, so I don't know if it's in the area you want it to be, but I really enjoyed Zeitgeist when I was there a year ago. The bar has a rockabilly aesthetic, and has tons of local beers on tap.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Do any of you guys often buy 32oz growlers? I have tried them twice now and each time they lost most of their carbonation from the ride home. I could hear air hissing out of them. Is this a normal thing, or does my beer store stock lovely growlers?

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

The Dregs posted:

Do any of you guys often buy 32oz growlers? I have tried them twice now and each time they lost most of their carbonation from the ride home. I could hear air hissing out of them. Is this a normal thing, or does my beer store stock lovely growlers?

I've never bought a 32 oz growler, but that's certainly a lovely growler. I have a 64 oz growler with a simple plastic screw on cap and it will keep carbonation for a week pretty easily... I'm pretty sure my growler is one of the cheapest designs you can have, and it still works great.

I actually wish I could get 32 oz growlers around here, 64 oz is a bit much to polish off by myself in a single night... especially when it's an imperial IPA/stout.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

The Dregs posted:

yeah, lovely growler. if it's a flip-top, i bet the rubber seal is cracked/dry-rotted.

VVV huh, that sucks. for me, a properly-filled flip-top left unopened in the fridge holds its carbonation for a couple weeks, easy.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 16, 2012

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
No it's a screw top, but it only has like one thread. Too bad I bought three of the drat things.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

This years, like most years, has pretty much no carbonation. It's a Cuvee de Tomme thing.
It's a bit of a running joke in my beer dudes circle (and also a bit of a truism) that no carbonation is a Lost Abbey thing. A few of their offerings have been significantly undercarbonated, to the point that any time somebody opens a Lost Abbey product and it makes an audible POP people feign shock.

quote:

When I had it this year it really had a strong tartness and cherry cordial-like flavor. I found it made an excellent dessert-beer and paired well with some dark chocolate.
I had it as dessert, and yes, some chocolate would have been fantastic. A good, peppery gorgonzola or a supremely funky cheese like epoisses would also have paired well.

Speaking of cheese, I've been giving some thought to running a little beer/cheese pairing thing for my beer buddies at my local wine and cheese shop. The Oxford Companion to Beer (which is overall excellent as a beer encyclopedia) has a short discussion of cheese pairings, but if any of you have encountered unusually good combinations please speak up.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

The Dregs posted:

No it's a screw top, but it only has like one thread. Too bad I bought three of the drat things.

Are you capping them up yourself? It sounds like they are being either under tightened or over tightened, though if it's the latter you might need to buy new caps.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

The Dregs posted:

You can get a more substantial polyseal cap for it. Like this: http://www.baldbrewer.com/Growler-Caps-Black-Polyseal-p/cap06.htm

My local homebrew shop carries them so maybe you could check a place like that.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Just discovered Central Waters Peruvian morning...grabbed a 4 pack on a friends recommendation and it was awesome....almost KBS really. Went back and got another 4 pack today.... Also grabbed a single bottle of their bourbon barrel barley wine....

They make anything else worthwhile?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Oh good Stone IRS is back, although it couldn't have killed them ironically release it tomorrow. (the actual tax deadline?)

They've got a little blog up on all the :effort: they went to to name it "Imperial Russian Stout," but I'm not *entirely* sure of why they would go to all that effort. I have a sneaking suspicion there isn't really a difference Imperial Stout and "Russian Imperial Stout"

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 16, 2012

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Vertigo posted:

Just discovered Central Waters Peruvian morning...grabbed a 4 pack on a friends recommendation and it was awesome....almost KBS really. Went back and got another 4 pack today.... Also grabbed a single bottle of their bourbon barrel barley wine....

They make anything else worthwhile?

see? i'm not the only one who thinks it's on par with KBS!

their stuff has come up in this thread a bit. i love PM and think their bourbon barrel stout is very good as well. compared to others in those styles, though (KBS, BCS) the mouthfeel of CW's stuff generally seems light.

other than that, i haven't been super-impressed with their other stuff. didn't much like their BBBW, and illumination is just okay. the porter is unremarkable.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Has anyone ever had a particularly good and memorable collaboration beer? I'm reading about Founder's first collab, which is with Green Flash, and I'm filled with 'meh'. What few collab beers I can even remember having, none of them were particularly great. I've still got a bottle of a Jolly Pumpkin beer called Collababiere, which was with Nøgne Ø and Stone, and it's probably one of the worst JP beers I've had.

The whole practice just seems a little unnecessary to me.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!
I am a huge fan of Victory's version of Saison du Buff. It's just a light, spicy, herbal saison.

I also enjoy RR/Avery's Collaboration not Litigation.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

danbanana posted:

see? i'm not the only one who thinks it's on par with KBS!

their stuff has come up in this thread a bit. i love PM and think their bourbon barrel stout is very good as well. compared to others in those styles, though (KBS, BCS) the mouthfeel of CW's stuff generally seems light.

other than that, i haven't been super-impressed with their other stuff. didn't much like their BBBW, and illumination is just okay. the porter is unremarkable.

I only got a single bottle of the barley wine... So I'll try that later and see how I feel about it. I definitely do think that the mouth feel is lighter but it's still pretty good

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Sirotan posted:

Has anyone ever had a particularly good and memorable collaboration beer? I'm reading about Founder's first collab, which is with Green Flash, and I'm filled with 'meh'. What few collab beers I can even remember having, none of them were particularly great. I've still got a bottle of a Jolly Pumpkin beer called Collababiere, which was with Nøgne Ø and Stone, and it's probably one of the worst JP beers I've had.

The DeProef/Sly Fox collab, Broederlijke Liefde, was awesome. They started out intending to do a brown ale and ended up making a brett saison, I'm not sure what happened but it was great.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Sirotan posted:

The Bruery / CCB Collobration, Marrón Acidifié, is highly regarded as being a good beer. I wish I had traded for it while I had the chance.

I'm pretty excited for Jolly Pumpkin and Maui's Collaboration. They're actually brewing the same beer with a different spin on each of them:

"Sobrehumano Palena 'ole is a red ale brewed with liliko'i and cherries. MBC and JPAA will both brew this beer; however MBC will use standard fermentation while the JPAA version is a barrel aged sour. The beers will be packaged both by MBC (in cans) and JPAA (in bottles)."

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

BoredByThis posted:

I am a huge fan of Victory's version of Saison du Buff. It's just a light, spicy, herbal saison.

I agree that Victory's Saison Du Buff is the best one of the three. Stone/Alchemist/Ninkasi More Black than Brown is a good collab beer too.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Corbet posted:

"Sobrehumano Palena 'ole is a red ale brewed with liliko'i and cherries. MBC and JPAA will both brew this beer; however MBC will use standard fermentation while the JPAA version is a barrel aged sour. The beers will be packaged both by MBC (in cans) and JPAA (in bottles)."

Yeah this I'm actually excited for, as the JP version is actually pretty true to the JP style of beer. Where as that Founder's collab really doesn't sound like anything Founder's has ever done before, and I don't think they're even releasing it in Michigan.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Phanatic posted:

The DeProef/Sly Fox collab, Broederlijke Liefde, was awesome. They started out intending to do a brown ale and ended up making a brett saison, I'm not sure what happened but it was great.

This was real good. I usually don't have too many collabs but this, Saison du Buff, Marron Acidifie and Highway 78 Scotch ale have been good.

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

yes yes i see, i understand
:wal::respek::stat:

Sirotan posted:

Stone and Brewdog had Bashah, a belgian black DIPA I thought was a solid beer, if not exactly DIPA like it's description. But that was three years back, good luck finding it.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Darth Goku Jr posted:

Stone and Brewdog had Bashah, a belgian black DIPA I thought was a solid beer, if not exactly DIPA like it's description. But that was three years back, good luck finding it.

i see bashah around all the time... and i don't recommend it, especially at $7+ a bottle. of course, i don't think i've ever had anything good from brew dog.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Sirotan posted:

Ideally, collaboration beers help contrast differences in brewing style between brewers, or combine those into a beer that somehow does both. Deschutes/Boulevard Conflux No. 2 is probably the best of the former I've ever had. I tasted them side by side - the Deschutes version was maltier, balanced with a lot of citrusy hops, while Boulevard's expressed a lot more wheat character and was drier and a bit muted (but delicious) on the hop side. The exact same ingredients were used for each, so all the differences were variation in technique.

Marron Acidifie is another great collaboration, as others have mentioned. I'm not sure Cigar City did their own bottling of that, though.

For the combination kind of collab, I really like Collaboration Not Litigation Ale from Avery/Russian River. It's a mix of the Salvation Belgian Strong from each brewery. At some point I'm going to do a side-by-side-by-side to see how the beers interacted, but even without doing that Collaboration is a very enjoyable beer.

The JP/Nogne/Stone Collabiere varied hugely by who brewed it. The Stone version is thoroughly meh. Jolly Pumpkin's went sour (I'd say by accident, but with the amount of brett they work with it was predictable) and horribly awry. They tried to serve it at Stone's Sourfest last year as some kind of intentional thing and it was like rancid cough syrup, completely undrinkable.

So basically, making a good collaboration beer is like making any good beer, really hard. Except you're adding in another layer of difficulty by testing the too-many-cooks-in-the-kitchen adage.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I made an effort to finally get all of the winter beer out of my fridge this weekend. One odd note: I opened up a bottle of Cisco's Winter Shredder and a slight puff of head spontaneously appeared in the bottle. I poured it out into a glass, and I'm sure the glass was clean, but I swear I was getting a weird dusty/dirty flavor from it. What exactly was wrong with this?

I hate to pour beer, but I'll be damned if I'm drinking something that tastes like soil. :barf:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

bartolimu posted:

The JP/Nogne/Stone Collabiere varied hugely by who brewed it. The Stone version is thoroughly meh. Jolly Pumpkin's went sour (I'd say by accident, but with the amount of brett they work with it was predictable) and horribly awry. They tried to serve it at Stone's Sourfest last year as some kind of intentional thing and it was like rancid cough syrup, completely undrinkable.

Haha oh man, the one bottle I've had I found just really boring, not sour at all. I guess I should open the second bottle that I've had sitting for a year or however long its been. :v:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Quiet Feet posted:

I made an effort to finally get all of the winter beer out of my fridge this weekend. One odd note: I opened up a bottle of Cisco's Winter Shredder and a slight puff of head spontaneously appeared in the bottle. I poured it out into a glass, and I'm sure the glass was clean, but I swear I was getting a weird dusty/dirty flavor from it. What exactly was wrong with this?

I hate to pour beer, but I'll be damned if I'm drinking something that tastes like soil. :barf:

I just cleaned out all my roommate's old poo poo, but taking a sip of each before I got rid of them. Shock Top Pumpkin Spices still tasted like a pumpkin beer. Too bad pumpkin beers loving blow. Harpoon Oktoberfest was surprisingly strong on malt and .. roast? Sounds like it might be decent, but trust me, it wasn't. Blue Point Blueberry Ale still tastes like blueberries, and nothing else. I kept the other two bottles of that and am finishing off the one I opened, as it is still tolerable. The others just went right down the drain. There was also a bottle of Hoegaarden that was a good half-year past the best-by date, so that went down the drain too.

Now, I just have a Harpoon Winter Warmer (ugggggh), that terrible Belgian IPA from the last Sam Adams Longshot mix, and a Lakefront White Beer that's well over a year old, then my beer stores are completely up to date. I think I'll hold onto the later two for a couple more years just to see what kind of awful things happen to really old beer that shouldn't be held onto.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

I just picked up a sixer of New Belgium's Dig. It's a really good spring brew, citrusy and mellow.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Brooklyn and Schneider did one of the "each brew the same beer differently" Hopfen Weisse colabo that was pretty damned good.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Sirotan posted:

I've only tried two collab beers, and both were absolutely amazing. I'm kind of hesitant to pick up more collabs because I heard they can be pretty hit-or-miss, and I had luck with my first two.

Both of the collabs I tried were from Stone, the first being More Brown Than Black IPA, and the second being TBA.

To this day, TBA is still the best Brown ale I've ever tried. Holy crap, it was soooo good! I'm really into hoppy beers, so it worked out that all the breweries who collaborated on TBA together were into hop bombs (Fat Heads, Bear Republic, Stone)

Actually, if anyone else has any suggestions as to what another super hopped up Brown ale is, I would love to hear them. I would drink TBA all the time if I could... that stuff was soooo good. It's too bad that it is a limited release and $4/bottle!

Edit: I'm reading some of the reviews on BA for TBA and they're hilarious. "Trying to be objective I would say that brown ale drinkers will like this a lot, but hop heads would rather drink the creek water this one looks like" ... speak for yourself on that one, buddy. Are people really that thrown off when there's an up front sweetness before you get hit with the bitterness? I personally enjoy it...

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 16, 2012

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
http://beerstreetjournal.com/goose-island-brewings-bourbon-county-to-be-year-round/

BCBS. Year round. As someone who had one bottle, once, I'm very happy about this news.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

wattershed posted:

http://beerstreetjournal.com/goose-island-brewings-bourbon-county-to-be-year-round/

BCBS. Year round. As someone who had one bottle, once, I'm very happy about this news.

Awesome! Now maybe I will get the chance to try a bottle, and not have to trade an arm and a leg to get it.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

wattershed posted:

holy gently caress am i gonna be drunk a lot...

for those who haven't had the pleasure, this is my favorite beer of all time and the ultimate example of what whiskey-barrel aging with a beer should be. it's big and boozy without being ridiculous. if getting hit by a brick can be subtle, that's what this is.

let's just hope this doesn't mean the quality suffers, though...

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
QUOTE DNE EDIT. nevermind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

wattershed posted:

Yay Anheiser-Busch!?

The distribution we get of Goose Island in Southern California is pretty pitiful. We have a distributor, but I rarely see anything other than a random bottle of Pepe Nero here and there.

Sirotan posted:

The first reaction I had to this is, "bring some regular Founders to CA," rather than particularly caring about the collaboration.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 16, 2012