Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
You have to also hit with the chain attack. It just gives you a free attack of whatever variety it says, no auto-hitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Swags posted:

Chain Attack question:

If I hit with both of my fists on a hydra for my chain attack to go off, do I then have to hit with the chain attack or does it just happen and I auto throw?

You still have to roll to-hit, the extra attack is just free.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Reik posted:

From my short time playing Ashlynn, I learned that after like turn 1, Ashlynn should always have admonition on her.
The problem really is that when you get to the end of the game, you want to have as much focus as possible to buy/boost attacks. So if you put Admonition up, you basically have to choose between attacking and camping. It's frustrating, and I guess I chose poorly (by choosing to camp some and still attack, not putting Admonition back up)

quote:

Also, when playing against horde, focus on killing the beasts before the warlock unless you just get a great assassination vector on the warlock.
I am getting better about this. I learned the hard way when I ploughed a Driller into Borka and did a ton of damage and the guy was just 'Transfer to my spitter, tough on him, but Borka is fine!' - Borka stumbles away from the Driller, charges Gorten and kills him :smith:

The problem might be that I am just a bad player.

KSAF Staff Report
Dec 5, 2011

#acolyte faggot Hall of Fame
Ask me about trying to get published by The Black Library in between the minutes of Traffic Court reporting. Also ask me about having a game survival rate worse than the Infant Mortality Rate of Afghanistan

LintMan posted:

So I needed to fill out 4pts for a 25pt Highlander tournament coming up in May. Its limited to no characters. 1 Warcaster/Warlock, 1 Jack/Beast, 1 Unit and 1 solo. Any remaining points must be spent of jacks/beasts but you cannot take more than 1 of any jack/beast.

Not having a large choice of good cominations I was left with 4pts. Trolls only have 1 beast worth 4pts and that is the Swamp Troll.

Grim however needs a certain type of high class troll in his posse. So not just any troll from the bogs and swamps will do.

He chose this dapper gentleman:

Bootiful.

Although, honestly, I think the staff was a bit much.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Ashcans posted:

I am getting better about this. I learned the hard way when I ploughed a Driller into Borka and did a ton of damage and the guy was just 'Transfer to my spitter, tough on him, but Borka is fine!' - Borka stumbles away from the Driller, charges Gorten and kills him :smith:

How does Borka transfer to a Spitter, considering Borka cannot have a Spitter in his battlegroup? Secondly, is there a single warbeast in the game that has tough? I am not aware of one.

Finally, Borka is possibly the hardest to kill warlock in all of Hordes. Don't try to assassinate Borka, kill his beasts first.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I don't think he meant actual Tough, just "sucks to be that beast". But unless spitter is slang for a pyre or some poo poo something else fishy is going on there.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Talk to me about dealing with eCain as Legion.

I played a 35 pt game against an eCain list that was eCain, a squire, Reinholt, a bunch of gun mages, a hunter and Rowdy.

I was running pVayle, Seraph, Carni, Scythean, Shredder and some Striders.

He played his ranges cagey enough that I wasn't able to get anything into melee on the top of round two. His turn two rolls around, Cain feats, blows away both my Carni and my Scythean leaving me about jack and poo poo. I got improbably lucky and had a Strider hit Cain on boxcars and do six points of damage, then even more improbably lucky and had the Deathstalker hit and roll boxcars on the damage to kill him.

So what's the best way to deal with him a Legion? Take a different caster that can enhance threat ranges more than Vayl? My list wasn't optimized for anything, it was just a "I own 35 points of legion. Lets play!" list.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Citizen Z posted:

Talk to me about dealing with eCain as Legion.

I played a 35 pt game against an eCain list that was eCain, a squire, Reinholt, a bunch of gun mages, a hunter and Rowdy.

I was running pVayle, Seraph, Carni, Scythean, Shredder and some Striders.

He played his ranges cagey enough that I wasn't able to get anything into melee on the top of round two. His turn two rolls around, Cain feats, blows away both my Carni and my Scythean leaving me about jack and poo poo. I got improbably lucky and had a Strider hit Cain on boxcars and do six points of damage, then even more improbably lucky and had the Deathstalker hit and roll boxcars on the damage to kill him.

So what's the best way to deal with him a Legion? Take a different caster that can enhance threat ranges more than Vayl? My list wasn't optimized for anything, it was just a "I own 35 points of legion. Lets play!" list.

You have Eyeless Sight, he does not. Gun Mage solos have True Sight, and I believe Caine can give himself True Sight, but it's not nearly as good, as it doesn't allow him to draw LoS throw forests and clouds like Eyeless Sight does. You also have access to Flight, where as he does not. So a good tactic is to utilize terrain to your advantage, denying him LoS to your stuff as much as possible; then charging through it or flying over it on your next turn. If you have models that can generate clouds, so you don't have to rely on terrain placement, bring them (Swamp Gobbers Bellows Crew; 1pt for a 5" cloud, totally worth it).

Another option is to play scenarios; a list like this is going to have difficulty holding zones and points outside of Rowdy, and he'll be a big, single target you can focus on if you need to.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Fyrbrand posted:

I don't think he meant actual Tough, just "sucks to be that beast". But unless spitter is slang for a pyre or some poo poo something else fishy is going on there.

Yes, I meant 'sucks to be that beast, because he just ate all that damage'.

I am also wrong about the warbeast - checking the gallery, I actually mean a Swamp Troll. I was confused because the model looks like its spitting. :v: Sorry I am so unintelligible, we are pretty light on Hordes so I even less familiar with their beasts and stuff.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Heres some new joints. Start of my Cryxies

WIP slayer, no green glow yet so if it feels like its missing something, thats it probably

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 15, 2012

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Where's eGaspy? :colbert:

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
The chipping and rust on that jack are :krad:.

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?
My buddy just bought me Lord Carver for my birthday, looks like I'm starting a Farrow army. I'm trying to decide on the colors, I'm thinking either rusty armor or a corroded brass look...

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR

PaintVagrant posted:

Heres some new joints. Start of my Cryxies

The armor plates on the Slayer are loving fantastic.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Holy Cow how did you make those bases? They look fantastic!

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Korwen posted:

Holy Cow how did you make those bases? They look fantastic!

Tree bark! It works really well!

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Manifest posted:

I jumped into warmachine with both feet today.
I was told to use Skarre2 if I wanted to go jack heavy with Cryx, so I picked up her, and the battlebox today.
My question here is, to get to 15 points do I just grab a mercenary/cryx solo to fill out the last 2 points, or would it be worth dropping the deathrippers, or a deathripper and a defiler to pick up a bigger warjack?

Your next purchase should be the Deathjack, so if you don't care about the money I'd go for that. Otherwise just grab a skarlock or really any cryx 2 pt solo I don't think you can go wrong.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

What do you guys think about Steelhead Heavy Cavalry without the other Steelheads? I understand that with Halberdiers they become really good (due to Flank) but they seem pretty solid on their own - Assault, Backswing, a decent statline. Having just bought Damiano I am planning to buy all the Steelheads eventually, but I was considering starting with the Cavalry - I already have Devil Dogs (who serve a similar tarpit/frontline roll to Halberdiers) and Gun Mages (who work as ranged support in place of Riflemen). Plus they can benefit from both of Damiano's coin abilities (and giving them Pow 14 guns to use on Assault seems pretty great)

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Washout posted:

Your next purchase should be the Deathjack, so if you don't care about the money I'd go for that. Otherwise just grab a skarlock or really any cryx 2 pt solo I don't think you can go wrong.

How would
Skarre2
Cankerworm
Slayer
Nightmare

work? I love that cankerworm model and the rules for it sound baller.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

Ashcans posted:

I kept the Buccaneer on Sam because I tend to ram the Devil Dogs down my enemy's throat, which means that both them and their jack are not long for the world. Poor bastards.

Righteous.

Ashcans posted:

I don't think this is a problem with Ashlynn - she has solid defensive stats, and she is a pretty mean fighter, but I seem to overextend her when it gets down to the wire and fail to come up with a kill. It's frustrating, but I'm not sure what I'm really doing wrong.

Her defensive stats are decent, though her armor and hit boxes leave a little to be desired. If she gets knocked down she's hosed though.

Towards the endgame, unless Ashlynn is so far from the enemy that assassination is not really a concern, I think she should always have either Admonition or Quicken on her at all times -- Admonition in most cases, or Quicken if your opponent clearly favors a ranged or magic vector that does not require they get into melee.

I think Rocinante is really good with her for the +2 Def so long as she's near him. Def 19 is really hard to hit, and every time your opponent misses in melee, Ashlynn gets a Riposte attack if she can reach them. I frequently forget Riposte, but it's a really solid defensive ability given how dead hard she is in melee.

LintMan posted:

Not having a large choice of good cominations I was left with 4pts. Trolls only have 1 beast worth 4pts and that is the Swamp Troll.

Grim however needs a certain type of high class troll in his posse. So not just any troll from the bogs and swamps will do.

He chose this dapper gentleman:

That is baller as hell.

Ashcans posted:

Don't sweat it. This game has a decently steep learning curve, particularly with mercs.

PaintVagrant posted:

Wow nice looking stuff there. I particularly like the green stuff on the Egregore. It really looks like it's floating.

What are the bases made out of? Did you cut them yourself?

Ashcans posted:

What do you guys think about Steelhead Heavy Cavalry without the other Steelheads? I understand that with Halberdiers they become really good (due to Flank) but they seem pretty solid on their own - Assault, Backswing, a decent statline. Having just bought Damiano I am planning to buy all the Steelheads eventually, but I was considering starting with the Cavalry - I already have Devil Dogs (who serve a similar tarpit/frontline roll to Halberdiers) and Gun Mages (who work as ranged support in place of Riflemen). Plus they can benefit from both of Damiano's coin abilities (and giving them Pow 14 guns to use on Assault seems pretty great)

I personally don't think they're worth it without the Halberdiers. Flank is what really makes them work. I like full Halberdiers plus min Cav as a nice 12pt module because you just have to get one halberdier into melee with an opponent's heavy to give the Cav the edge they need to wreck it. Without the bonus damage from Flank, they have trouble sealing the deal on a hard target.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Everytime PV post something I lose the will to paint.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Manifest posted:

How would
Skarre2
Cankerworm
Slayer
Nightmare

work? I love that cankerworm model and the rules for it sound baller.

It will work, but any kind of all jack force will work for Skarre2. She seriously loves the hell out of the deathjack though. It can cast admonition on itself as it advanced and then perdition when the time comes to win the game.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Everytime PV post something I lose the will to paint.

Welcome to the party, pal

:smith::hf::smith:

Raiche
Oct 29, 2007

Decided to go back to my favorites and play Ashlynn this weekend. Also wanted to try out my dorfs!
code:
System: Warmachine
Faction: Highborn Covenant
Casters: 1/1
Ashlynn d'Elyse (*6pts)
* Vanguard (5pts)
* Vanguard (5pts)
Alexia Ciannor & the Risen (Alexia and 9 Risen Grunts) (5pts)
Arcane Tempest Gun Mages (Leader and 5 Grunts) (6pts)
* Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer (2pts)
* * Mule (8pts)
Horgenhold Forge Guard (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
Anastasia di Bray (2pts)
I think Forge Guard may be my new favorite. Opponent was playing Damiano with steelheads for the first time, instead of Magnus, so it wasn't the most fair game. But still, I have never had that many Risen on the table. I was having to give up corpse tokens.

On the notes about Riposte, remember that you can decline to take the attack! I once riposted Kayazy to death, only to clear a charge lane for Vlad.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Washout posted:

It will work, but any kind of all jack force will work for Skarre2. She seriously loves the hell out of the deathjack though. It can cast admonition on itself as it advanced and then perdition when the time comes to win the game.

Awesome, I'll try to find a way to fit deathjack in there.
Mostly I'm super gay for the Cankerworm model/rules and really want to squeeze it in there somehow.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

That looks like a fun list. How do you use Alexia with the Forgeguard in that? Are the Forgeguard front line with Alexia picking up corpses, or do you put the Risen up front to tarpit and then have the Forgeguard counter-charge?

Acceptableloss posted:

Don't sweat it. This game has a decently steep learning curve, particularly with mercs.
Yea, I was talking to one of the guys at the store and he said 'Look, you can read the cards and books and do a lot of theorymachine, but the best way to understand something is to play it. So the first time you see any caster, think of it as a learning experience'. Which I think is a good piece of advice, but also made me realize that the entire time I have been playing, I have only fought two casters (Nemo and Vlad) more than once. So I'm doing a lot of learning. :v:

At least I feel like I am getting to the point where a game loss might be bad dice or a matter of a single mistake, rather than just getting all my poo poo killed and never even doing anything to the other guy.

quote:

I personally don't think they're worth it without the Halberdiers. Flank is what really makes them work. I like full Halberdiers plus min Cav as a nice 12pt module because you just have to get one halberdier into melee with an opponent's heavy to give the Cav the edge they need to wreck it. Without the bonus damage from Flank, they have trouble sealing the deal on a hard target.

Darn. I like the models and was kind of hoping to paint something besides tides of infantry in the next couple months (I just finished the Devil Dogs, Alexia and the Risen are up next). I guess I can buy them, paint them, and then shelve them until I get the Halberdiers in order, if it prevent me burning out.

Raiche
Oct 29, 2007

Ashcans posted:

That looks like a fun list. How do you use Alexia with the Forgeguard in that? Are the Forgeguard front line with Alexia picking up corpses, or do you put the Risen up front to tarpit and then have the Forgeguard counter-charge?

The Forgeguard were a kind of tilted line, with Vanguards gumming up charge lanes and sucking up ranged attacks. I had Alexia in the back so that her CMD covered the front line of the Forgeguard plus as much as I could in front of them, so anyone they killed got eaten too.

The Risen themselves were tough to place, most of them were behind and spilling out the edges, so that a converted Thrall could charge in front of the Foreguard. Also, Alexia only needs to place new Risen -in formation-, so new ones go in front of the FG. I tend to treat Risen as focus for Alexia, so if I tarpit with too many of them, she loses the ability to be a super solo with focus. I think next time I will pair Alexia with a Vanguard, and try them as a tarpit in front of the dorfs, just to see.

I was jumping for joy with eAlexia, until I realized she grew a conscience in Wrath and only eats enemy corpses now.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Made an order from miniature market today (woo 25% off).

Here's my final 15 point list (once everything gets here)
Cryx
eSkaare
Deathjack
Cankerworm
Deathripper

I've thought about dropping the deathripper for a pistol wraith, but I think I want that arc node.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I don't know anything about anything, but I'm seriously loving the Deathripper at lower point values. Typically the first turn it attacks, I boost the attack roll, then buy a second attack with boosted damage. From then on out it's boosted damage, another attack, and more damage. It usually doesn't last past those two turns, but I feel like it does more than four points of damage while it's functional. With Deathjack and Cankerworm it'd be easy for your opponent to underestimate a Deathripper.

I was about to pick up some Mechanithralls and a couple Brute Thralls, but I remember someone in this thread saying that Brute Thralls are absolutely awful for their points. Confirm/Deny? I'm also looking into picking up a Seether as a cost-effective alternative to a Deathjack. It looks absolutely disgusting for nine points, but I wanted to confirm that before I dropped any money.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I wasn't aware people played the bonechickens as anything other than disposable arcnodes to be used for murdering casters with spells, or casting crippling grasp :v:

Also, to try to be helpful, I see the Seether often recommended when you can't play DJ, specifically at 35 points. Cryx casters are generally focus greedy, so he's good about that. Brute thralls are decent if only to block charge lanes, but they can hit pretty drat hard.

Korwen fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 17, 2012

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Deathrippers kill casters!

Sustained attack is extremely good against high def junk like warpwolves or angels. But mostly i wont commit my chickens to melee unless its a very good piece trade.

Or infernal mcahined deathripper slaying low arm casters. Feels good man.

I like the seether but its so fragile for 9 pts. Its matchup dependent imo, unless you can stealth it or protect it some otherway it can be neutered by a couple decent pow ranged attacks.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

The deathripper looked pretty good on paper, yeah.
I've yet to actually play a game with my cryx, I've only played hordes so far, but the mechanics don't really seem all that different.
I have a rules question with warjack points though.
Do I add the number of warjack points that my caster has to the points total of the game, or subtract it from the cost of a jack or something?
I'm not clear how they factor in.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

How does this 25pt Menoth list look?

Faction: Protectorate of Menoth
High Exemplar Kreoss (*5pts)
* Redeemer (6pts)
* Revenger (6pts)
Choir of Menoth (Leader and 3 Grunts) (2pts)
Exemplar Cinerators (Leader and 2 Grunts) (5pts)
High Paladin Dartan Vilmon (3pts)
Paladin of the Order of the Wall (2pts)
The Covenant of Menoth (2pts)
Vassal of Menoth (2pts)

I want to replace the Cinerators with Knights Errant, but I'm waiting 10 days till the plastic unit is released. Anything there I should change?

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009

Manifest posted:

The deathripper looked pretty good on paper, yeah.
I've yet to actually play a game with my cryx, I've only played hordes so far, but the mechanics don't really seem all that different.
I have a rules question with warjack points though.
Do I add the number of warjack points that my caster has to the points total of the game, or subtract it from the cost of a jack or something?
I'm not clear how they factor in.

Add the number. So for a 35 point game with a Warcaster with +5 warjack points, you'll have an army worth 40 points so play around with, 5 of which must be tied up in the Warcaster's battlegroup.

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?
Oh God I just bought a lot of Farrow, I think I have an addiction...

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Malloreon posted:

How does this 25pt Menoth list look?

Faction: Protectorate of Menoth
High Exemplar Kreoss (*5pts)
* Redeemer (6pts)
* Revenger (6pts)
Choir of Menoth (Leader and 3 Grunts) (2pts)
Exemplar Cinerators (Leader and 2 Grunts) (5pts)
High Paladin Dartan Vilmon (3pts)
The Covenant of Menoth (2pts)
Vassal of Menoth (2pts)

I want to replace the Cinerators with Knights Errant, but I'm waiting 10 days till the plastic unit is released. Anything there I should change?

I'm not the biggest fan of paladins, but they're alright you like them. I would still drop one paladin to fit in a second Vassal though. What I would really change though would be the Cinerators, total waste of points. Deliverers are a good choice for the pop-and-drop, and I would definitely swap the Revenger for a second Redeemer.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
I'd drop the Revenger and one Paladin for a Reckoner. You can drop Vilmon, the Cinerators, and the other Paladin for full Errants + UA, or drop the UA for a pally.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

I was about to pick up some Mechanithralls and a couple Brute Thralls, but I remember someone in this thread saying that Brute Thralls are absolutely awful for their points. Confirm/Deny? I'm also looking into picking up a Seether as a cost-effective alternative to a Deathjack. It looks absolutely disgusting for nine points, but I wanted to confirm that before I dropped any money.

Deny, probably the best unit cryx can field is full mechs with 3 brutes and a necrosurgeon. It's not even a very expensive unit. Although that combo ends up being monetarily expensive. You get into something a bit tricky if you think 6 brutes are 6 points, is that better then a full unit of 10 mechanithralls? Maybe, maybe not.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Hell, you don't even need the Brute Thralls if you don't feel like forking over the cash. That's pretty much the whole reason I haven't bought them yet and I love my Mechanithralls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
For 25 pt. Skorne, are there any major problems with:

pHexeris
Gladiator
Bronzeback
Paingivers
Gatormen Posse
Paingiver Task Master

or

eHexeris
Gladiator
Bronzeback
Cyclops Savage