Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Interesting, I ate a dozen front kicks (like a teep you know?) and for the first time in a while have bruises in my chest and stomach in addition to bumps in the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Just got back from the Jake Shields seminar. It was worth every penny. It was pretty much straight up grappling and he showed some really great stuff in a very clear and concise manner. The way he showed as to sink in and lock up a guillotine was particulary unplesant to be subjected to.

He seemed like a really nice guy as well.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Is it normal to feel a bit overwhelmed with all the new techniques and stuff? We learn a couple new things every time and despite writing things down after class and watching related youtube videos I find myself forgetting things between classes.

Also can anyone recommend youtube channels that are good for showing technique and stuff? I've found a couple that are decent but am always interested in more.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Guilty posted:

In through the nose. Out through the mouth. This is one of the best pieces of advice anyone starting any martial art anywhere can ever get at the beginning. Because you WILL forget to breathe.

This most of all.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

Is it normal to feel a bit overwhelmed with all the new techniques and stuff? We learn a couple new things every time and despite writing things down after class and watching related youtube videos I find myself forgetting things between classes.

It's pretty normal, just make sure your class is letting you get plenty of reps in of a technique before you abandon it for something else. If you can get a lot of reps you will find it easier to commit the movements to muscle memory and then writing it down means you can revisit it later at your leisure !!!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I find it's very easy to forget what you've been taught in a lot of classes, especially if you're dog tired at the end of it. Remember, you're not leaving a lot of oxygen for your brain after an hour of grappling, and conditions are not really ideal for soaking up knowledge at that point.

This is why it's a good idea to write down notes after class. I try to make it a little easier on my training partners by going through the techniques I've taught at the end of each one, in a short recap. If someone grasped it particularly well, I'll give them a chance to shine by showing it to the entire class-- because I know how much I liked doing that.

E; We had a visiting BJJ purple belt in class today and he said he liked the way I instructed and that made me happy. v:shobon:v

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 13, 2012

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
At first it's all too much but once you've got the basics it's much easier to process because you've already got a bundle of neurons devoted to hook flips or whatever.

If you want some extra study, Get jiu-jitsu university by saulo ribieiro and read through it. You won't get everything but it will at least plant the seeds in your brain. It's the best resource for fundamental bjj

gregarious Ted
Jun 6, 2005
Got a great reminder from my trainer in sparring yesterday to not get lazy checking thigh kicks. She drilled me, and my leg is going to be a giant multicoloured bruise soon.

It's easy to just ignore them when they don't hit hard in class but when someone wants to and knows how to hammer it in, it loving kills.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Here, have some people looking stupid while doing martial arts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni89mBXwKZg

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Syphilis Fish posted:

It looks like loving bullshit to me. Aikido skirts, handwraps and steven seagal bandana's; I really don't think I need to look further, unless they're like actual magic users instead of pretend ninja's. Oh ok, compliant partner drills out the rear end;
"punch the area in front of my face and hang out there for a minute while I do seventeen techniques in the air in front of you" is the kind of training that does not work.

*Goes straight to Bullshido*
That's Sanuces Ryu JJ founded by Moses Powell. That particular video seems terrible but one of our BJJ black belts is also a blackbelt in Sanuces Ryu who directly trained under Dr. Moses Powell for years and holds the late Dr. Powell in very high regard.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
^^ Nevertheless, whatever the hell that video demonstrates, its poo poo.

Maybe he is awesome, but he's not showing it in that video.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Nierbo posted:

Here, have some people looking stupid while doing martial arts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni89mBXwKZg

The dude that breaks all the flaming bricks, then calmly pulls his burning headband off is pretty much the baddest rear end.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
So why did that video turn into wedding and dance outtakes at the end there?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
No idea. The bit where the wife twists her husbands wrist and he goes flying is the funniest part of the video though.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I could have been on one of those clips. I bit clean through my lower lip when playing around with a breaking board. I was holdiong it up like an idiot and the bottom part smacked me right in the face.

The mouth heals up really fast, though! The hole was gone in like a day.

E;

V V Oh god, killing a person rushing to your aid? That's so sad. :( V V

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 14, 2012

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Syphilis Fish posted:

^^ Nevertheless, whatever the hell that video demonstrates, its poo poo.

Maybe he is awesome, but he's not showing it in that video.
I don't know anything about George Logan the guy in the video but as a side note Sanuces is linked to one of the most notorious self defense gone awry cases in NYC history. Maurice Parks a student of John Davis (one of Mose Powell's guys) got mugged in 2008 and fought off 3 armed attackers in a knife fight and killed someone rushing to his aid who he mistook for a fourth mugger. He had previously fought an armed mugger in 1994 and shot the the him with the mugger's own gun.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 14, 2012

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Weird and unexpected home remedies for charley horse, anyone?

Got my left leg treated with the sole of a Savate-shoe, even stepped into it to make sure the impact was hard enough. No pain, but when I sit down and then stand up the leg just falls away, I can't feel my thigh and it refuses to co-operate.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Bohemian Nights posted:

So why did that video turn into wedding and dance outtakes at the end there?
I thought it was a joke on how there's very little difference between a lot of martial arts and dancing. Also that swing dancers can hit a mean suplex.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
The video got something about Martial arts right at least, there is a lot of getting hit in the dick.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Xguard86 posted:

The dude that breaks all the flaming bricks, then calmly pulls his burning headband off is pretty much the baddest rear end.

No fucks given.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Pooned posted:

The video got something about Martial arts right at least, there is a lot of getting hit in the dick.

Training MA has taught me valuable ball pain alleviating techniques, such as jumping up and down heavily from horse stance.

Metal Gear
Dec 10, 2006

This is SomethingAwful.com
My gym is having an in-house fight night and I'm thinking of signing up for kickboxing. I would sign up for MMA, but I've only VERY recently started to learn a ground game and I know I would just end up getting destroyed as soon as I was taken to the mat. Anyone have any good advice for someone about to enter their first organized kickboxing match?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Pooned posted:

I got hit in the balls for the first time the other day. Once every year ain't too bad. It was more of a pinch than a hit actually. Bent leg during uchi mata. This is mere moments before the fateful incident.

e: VV Former Judo black belt?

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Apr 15, 2012

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Apparently doing judo is dangerous or something but all I could think while I read this article was "I wish they did that when I was in school"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-04-14/parents-fear-school-judo-will-lead-to-injuries/3950164

quote:

There are warnings that children could die as a result of a Japanese government decision to make martial arts mandatory for all junior high school students.

Schools have the option to choose kendo, sumo or judo, with the vast majority picking judo as their compulsory class.

Critics point to dozens of deaths already in judo classes run by unqualified teachers, and hundreds of other serious injuries, including paralysis.

Noriko Takase's son Keita, a former judo black belt, requires 24-hour-a-day care and can no longer communicate.

He lies on a special bed in the family's lounge room.

"Five years ago he was taking part in a judo federation promotion," Ms Noriko said.

"He did a demonstration by being thrown nine times in a row.

"Later he didn't feel well. Then he suffered convulsions and after we reached the hospital he was diagnosed with an acute subdural haematoma.

Smegmatron fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Apr 15, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Me and my friends have an ongoing inside joke of NO JUDO for at least 10+ years now. We were at a house and in the garage they had a sign that said NO JUDO with stick figures throwing eachother and it crossed out. We found in comical for some reason. I scoured the internet for years and could never find a replica. So I decided to have these made up. Anyways, I think they're hilarious

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Metal Gear posted:

My gym is having an in-house fight night and I'm thinking of signing up for kickboxing. I would sign up for MMA, but I've only VERY recently started to learn a ground game and I know I would just end up getting destroyed as soon as I was taken to the mat. Anyone have any good advice for someone about to enter their first organized kickboxing match?

Sparring and cardio, cardio and sparring. I've got my first boxing match coming up and thats pretty much what everybody is telling me and it seems to be good advice. The biggest problem with novices is some of them get hit good once and lose their will to fight, the second biggest problem is they gas out after about 30 seconds.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Went to the BJJ class on Sat - I had a great time and there was a sweaty dude on top of me for 45 minutes. I'm signed up for 2x/wk classes. A+++ would flip/hug a sweaty grunting dude again.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Ow. First injury of 2012, but it appears to be minor. Someone put their entire weight down on my left wrist when they went for a wrist lock and I felt no pain until there was a loud "pop" that was heard halfway across the room, and it still didn't hurt so I finished rolling but now it hurts when I put any strain on it and if I squeeze my forefinger and thumb together it's also hella painful. Icing it now. Hopefully it won't linger!

Oh well, at least living in the land of the ice and snow means I have infinite icing bags at my disposal.

E; fffffff didn't occur to me that this might mess up my weight lifting regime. I'll find out tomorrow, I guess. Thank god I can operate WASD without any problems or my life would be over.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 16, 2012

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bohemian Nights posted:

Thank god I can operate WASD without any problems or my life would be over.

Goons always have their priorities straight

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
dogg can you imagine not being able to train OR play video games? I thought not. The true test will be if I can still hold my bong.
E; Crisis averted, I can

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 17, 2012

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I got given a white double weave gi yesterday by one of the brown belts at Judo. My blue pants have a rip like 30 cm up the rear end of them and he knew I couldn't afford a new gi. And its been repaired 3 times already so its not getting any better. I feel like poo poo taking something like that for free but also makes me feel pretty drat lucky to go to such a cool club.

VV Thats a good point. With properly trained senseis and crash mats for the novice players when they're drilling throws, its surprisingly easy to come out of judo unscathed. It sorta depends on who you're training with aswell IMO. Like the guy that threw me on my shoulder and dropped all his weight on it and I was out for 2.5 months just cos of his ego. Its just the silly little things like getting a thumb caught in a gi and having it wrenched or catching a pinky toe on the mat that sucks, but those random occurrences are in every sport, like a rough hit in football that ends up in a bone bruise. Although I think its been proven that major injuries occur quite frequently in Judo. I read in this thread something like Judoka go through 4 major injuries a year on avge. After my first year, I've been injury free so its possible the newbs are the ones getting hurt and hurting others due to their bad technique. Any thoughts thoguh and co?

Senor P. posted:

It would be more accurate to say, former Judo athlete.
I agree. Seemed a bit coldhearted to me.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 17, 2012

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Smegmatron posted:

Apparently doing judo is dangerous or something but all I could think while I read this article was "I wish they did that when I was in school"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-04-14/parents-fear-school-judo-will-lead-to-injuries/3950164

The article broaches on the idea of doing it safely. However it does not really get into the real issue at hand, abuse in some cases, negligence in others.

Nierbo posted:

e: VV Former Judo black belt?
It would be more accurate to say, former Judo athlete.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 17, 2012

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I think it's the mentality more than the style. maybe it's the whole ippon system encouraging high amplitude throws. Judo guys, at least coming into bjj, seem very explosive and kind of unnecessarily rough.

In other things: how long in boxing before I can start thinking about sparring? Hitting stuff is cool but I really want to start getting comfortable getting punches coming at me.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
Where's a good no-gi BJJ place in Brisbane for a reasonably experienced white belt? My mate wants to get back into BJJ, Advance only did like 1 no-gi class a week or something from memory... and didn't everyone leave there or something?

Also I might be fighting next weekend, a guy from my gym is scheduled to fight at 66kg (muay thai), he's like 75kg at the moment, if he can't make weight I'm his reserve.. I'm at ~71kg today. Any tips for dropping some weight quickly? I'm trying to diet off what I can then I'll cut the rest. Adding a 1hr run to my daily routine (along with 2x classes) and cutting carbs from my diet as much as possible. Weigh-ins are Friday night and the fight is Saturday night so I can cut to make up the difference.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Xguard86 posted:

Judo guys, at least coming into bjj, seem very explosive and kind of unnecessarily rough.

Which is also how every Judoka feels about wrestlers starting Judo as well.

I got those comments when I first started BJJ though even when I was trying really hard to play nice. BJJ guys just really don't like taking falls.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Bohemian Nights posted:

dogg can you imagine not being able to train OR play video games? I thought not. The true test will be if I can still hold my bong.
E; Crisis averted, I can

Video games, martial arts and bong smoke.. were we separated at birth?

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

I thought all fighters spent their days having bong rips and playing Xbox

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
You're thinking of Eddie Bravo.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Nierbo posted:

You're thinking of Eddie Bravo.

No, just all the fighters I know

I'm pretty sure I *will* be fighting next weekend. Exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Kumo Jr. posted:

Video games, martial arts and bong smoke.. were we separated at birth?

Hi5 duder! It's possible! I have several half brothers.

gimpsuitjones posted:

I'm pretty sure I *will* be fighting next weekend. Exciting.

Sweet! To quote The Roots "We don't say good luck, we say don't give up." Give them hell!

E; Speaking of, Norwegian ADCC in the middle of june. Gonna sign up ASAP so I don't find an excuse not to go.

• Locked thread