Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Personally, I have no problem with yellow subtitles even if the film is black and white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

kuddles posted:

Personally, I have no problem with yellow subtitles even if the film is black and white.

While I really don't care for yellow subtitles, I'll take legible yellow subtitles over illegible white subtitles any day.

YoSaff
Feb 13, 2012

Everything is fine.
Shallow Grave just got released as a Criterion. It's one of the more obscure Danny Boyle films but it was his debut and it feels kind of like Trainspotting in tone. It's also got a killer plot, very good acting, tons of originality and Ewan McGregor's first starring role in a movie. Plus look at this cover.

http://www.dvdactive.com/images/news/screenshot/2012/3/616_bd_box_348x490.jpg

drat that's nice.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
how does subtitle information exist on a disc? are there standard fonts? do subtitles render differently across different players? how much is communicated/determined by the disc and how much is communicated/determined by the player?

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Maybe I'm just biased because of how often you see them when you're Australian, but I've always thought the subtitles produced by SBS to be well done. They sometimes show up on the more obscure international titles. Not the prettiest, but always legible, yellow for colour films, white for black+white, and with a nice black border.

http://outofcontextsubtitles.tumblr.com/

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

how much is communicated/determined by the player?
Zero.

On DVD and Blu-Ray, subtitles are just images. The authoring house can use whatever font or colour or style they like.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 15, 2012

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

kaujot posted:

And they won't add a border to their subtitle font so the text is readable when over very white areas of the screen.

Man, there's a bit in the Kuroneko special features that's in color, and that poo poo is still illegible.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Shallow Grave is a favorite of mine. Some films stick with you for a while.

kaujot posted:

While I really don't care for yellow subtitles, I'll take legible yellow subtitles over illegible white subtitles any day.

Yellow subtitles would look strange to me the first few times but then it wouldn't bother me at all I'm sure.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I'm partially deaf, and I'm pretty annoyed regarding their stance on subs. Should we all just email their customer service one day?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

frumpsnake posted:

Zero.

On DVD and Blu-Ray, subtitles are just images. The authoring house can use whatever font or colour or style they like.
I've never understood why this is. Wouldn't it be easier for everyone involved if the subtitles were text with a predetermined font and size that the user could change through the player? I realize this probably isn't in the DVD/bluray spec, but I don't see why it couldn't have been.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Lena Dunham's show premiered on HBO tonight so I wanted to take this opportunity to remind people that they should never, ever watch Tiny Furniture.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Swagger Dagger posted:

Lena Dunham's show premiered on HBO tonight so I wanted to take this opportunity to remind people that they should never, ever watch Tiny Furniture.

I'm still sort of tempted to watch it. :smithicide:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Also, here's Dunham's first short film Pressure. I haven't seen Tiny Furniture and I don't want to poo poo on Dunham yet because, frankly, I really want there to be more female directors, and this is pretty good for a first short. At the very least she's charismatic and has a clever writing voice (the camerawork is mindblowingly lovely, though, not that she has much to do with it).

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Swagger Dagger posted:

I kinda liked it v:shobon:v

I mean sure it's a bit dull and every character is kinda douchey in their own way, but that's part of the charm I think.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Every time I watch 'Tiny Furniture' I appreciate it a bit more.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I haven't seen Tiny Furniture, but the previews for Girls (Dunham's HBO show) actually makes me want to check it out (the show and the movie).

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'm a pretty ardent fan of mumblecore and that movie was loving terrible.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
The new titles haven't been put up yet on here, but they're up on the site: http://www.criterion.com/library/expanded_view?f=1&s=release_date

I'm stoked for July. I'm a huge Whit Stillman fan, so I'll definitely be upgrading my copies of Metropolitan and Last Days of Disco, plus Le Havre was one of my favorite movies I saw last year.

Here's hoping they put out Barcelona sometime soon!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

What a dud month. Excited for La Havre and I'll rent the Gremillon out of curiosity, but no interest at all in the three upgrades.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

FitFortDanga posted:

I'll rent the Gremillon

Read this as Gremlins and got unironically excited for a half second.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
I'm excited for Metropolitan on blu even though it's probably one of the few that didn't need a blu upgrade. Still, it's one of the first movies I really got into, back in the mid-90s when A&E would show it.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

FitFortDanga posted:

What a dud month. Excited for La Havre and I'll rent the Gremillon out of curiosity, but no interest at all in the three upgrades.

Agreed. La Havre will be a definite watch (I never buy, that's why I pay for NetFlix DVD rental), the rest are 'eh.' I don't see why Metropolitan will be better on Blu Ray, though I dug it when I saw it earlier this year (we need more Deb balls in Ann Arbor).

Still waiting for my Apu trilogy Criterion :(.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
Metropolitan will probably be better on blu than Last Days of Disco. During the latter's commentary Stillman embarassedly pointed out visual errors that hadn't been noticeable before.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

My brother bought Down by Law a year or two ago even though I told him he should wait until the inevitable upgrade. Here it is. Hah.

Le Havre rules.

But yeah, Criterion has been easy on my wallet this year so far.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Swagger Dagger posted:

I couldn't get 20 minutes into Tiny Furniture, but the first ep of the show was really good.

I've never seen any Stillman, but this seems like a good time to start.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kind of surprised Paramount isn't doing their own edition, but maybe they're not wanting to associate with Polanski.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
That's Rosemary's Baby, by the way.

Also, here's the first episode of Lena Dunham's Girls, courtesy of HBO. It's actually really good.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Also, here's the first episode of Lena Dunham's Girls, courtesy of HBO. It's actually really good.

I also really liked it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That's Rosemary's Baby, by the way.

When you said that, I thought "Wait, how do you get that- it just looks like... ooohhhh."

Well played, Criterion. Well played.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Amazon has some deals running right now with some stuff 50% off and a lot of stuff around that price. They have a bunch of the Eclipse boxes included in that.

(I shortened the URLs so that they don't take up half the page)

Blu-Ray: http://amzn.to/Iliz5H

DVD: http://amzn.to/IliKOu

e: I noticed some of the Eclipse sets are cheaper direct from Criterion so it's worth checking before you jump if you see something you're interested in

leokitty fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 24, 2012

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

kuddles posted:

I didn't even know hating them was actually a thing until last year or something.

My mind just tunes-out the color of subtitles. If I can't actually read the subtitles, I'm forced to think about it the entire drat movie and slowly rapidly go into a nerdrage.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

They just dropped a hint for Rosetta! Sweet! Hoping for a Dardennes box, that would make up nicely for last month's lackluster announcements.

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

Has anyone seen The Samurai Trilogy? Love the source material, and the blu ray is coming out just in time for my birthday, so wondering if it's worth it or not?

mrfreeze fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 3, 2012

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

mrfreeze posted:

Has anyone seen The Samurai Trilogy? Love the source material, and the blu ray is coming out just in time for my birthday, so wondering if it's worth it or not?

I saw it a while back and remember it being pretty rad.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

mrfreeze posted:

It starts out really slow, but it gets pretty awesome by the second and especially the third installment.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Children of Paradise confirmed for September

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

This is one of those films that I just can't scrounge up any enthusiasm to watch it. I know the history behind it. I know the critical consensus behind it. I've seen and enjoyed other films of Carne's. But I just...eh. I have such apathy about ever seeing it.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
Confirmation for Lonesome?

Who: Criterion Collection editor and executive producer, Kim Hendrickson

What They Do: Offer up a monthly selection of well-packaged and informative editions of must-watch classic films and new releases for both the contemporary viewer and the diehard cineaste.

What to look forward to: A Hollis Frampton Odyssey, Harold and Maude, Being John Malkovich, Chaplin’s The Gold Rush, the Spalding Gray films (Gray’s Anatomy and And Everything is Going Fine), and Lonesome, a nearly silent film from 1928.

http://www.thefader.com/2012/05/07/.../#ixzz1uDoaTSZ2

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Holy poo poo what a month.

Rosetta
La Promesse
Weekend (Haigh)
Lonesome
Quadrophenia
The Films of Norman Mailer (don't buy this)

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
The Royal Tenenbaums Blu on 8/14 too. http://www.criterion.com/films/230-the-royal-tenenbaums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
About time!