Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Cavatica posted:

So I had a few random questions after this flash.

Regarding the million-year history for the consorts, they seemed aware of both Jake's dreamself dying and Jane's revival. So they were still alive while Jane and Dirk's dreamselves were awake and cognizant. I'm also willing to bet that Dirk's planet will have scripture detailing his uprising from [S] Prince of Heart: Rise up.

It has me wonder more and more whether the planets exist or not prior to entry. If they do exist, is there technically anything stopping the dreamselves from wandering around the rest of the medium? Sollux's dreamself flew all the way back to his planet, but that was only after he entered.

If the planets don't exist, then I guess every little detail comes in preloaded from Skaia. But then it makes me wonder if that limits the progress you can make within the game. Can Jane not proceed to her second gate without making sure that the next player is in the game?
You know given the nature of this comic I wouldn't be surprised if, despite each world technically being 'created' upon entry, they've still existed for years in their own little pocket of spacetime. Think dreambubbles or Lord English's 'already here' schtick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Cavatica posted:

It has me wonder more and more whether the planets exist or not prior to entry. If they do exist, is there technically anything stopping the dreamselves from wandering around the rest of the medium? Sollux's dreamself flew all the way back to his planet, but that was only after he entered.

I think the best way to describe it is that until the player enters, their planet doesn't exist, but once the player has entered, their planet has existed for millions/billions of years (from its perspective). You know, kind of like the fundamentalist Christian idea that God created the world to look billions of years old six thousand years ago to test our faith.

Also I'm pretty sure every depiction of the Incipisphere prior to [S] Jade: Enter had only three planets, with an empty space where LoFaF would be.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
I hope you guys are wrong about the LOPAN LOMAX and LOTAK names. Just because if it does turn out to be those names it'll spoil for me the updates of when they're introduced. One of my favorite parts of the flash was the fading in of the Land of Crypts and Helium text along with the sweeping vistas of how the crypts and helium play into tie into the landscape, but now I'll be expecting the rest of the lands to have the naming that has been reasonably theorized.

Love the thread but it's hard to read sometimes. :shobon:

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE

Blood Nightmaster posted:

You know given the nature of this comic I wouldn't be surprised if, despite each world technically being 'created' upon entry, they've still existed for years in their own little pocket of spacetime. Think dreambubbles or Lord English's 'already here' schtick.

Given the nature of the comic, they're probably the same thing. In a video game, there's no difference between a thing happening and the calculations that describe that thing happening. The software being run is the only thing that defines existence.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
So, instead of the Heroes, they're the Nobles.

LOCA Helium.
LOPA N(eon).
LOMA X(enon).
LOTA K(rypton).

I'm not the one who came up with it, but... has anyone else had this thought?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Colon V posted:

So, instead of the Heroes, they're the Nobles.

LOCA Helium.
LOPA N(eon).
LOMA X(enon).
LOTA K(rypton).

I'm not the one who came up with it, but... has anyone else had this thought?

Yeah, pretty sure it's bounced around the thread a couple times now. It's pretty solid.

I like the idea that Neon will be Roxy, so she can have a night club planet.

Edit: With the spread of skulls, I suspected the four consort races may have had a unified civilization.

...How does that interact with Prospit and Derse, if the consorts were around a million years ago? Was Prospit and Derse around a million years ago too? Have its inhabitants lived that long, or have there been multiple generations? Or did they just pop into existence at the right time before the game started?

Also curious to see how the consorts from the kids' session will interact with the dead world(s). Move in?

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Dolash fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 15, 2012

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I kinda want neon to be Dirk. If each Noble has the same reptiles as their equivalent B1 kid, he could have mummified crocodiles in pyramids.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010

creationist believer posted:

I just feel like I need to say it... Does anyone else feel like at about 3:10 in Rain, there's a sound that sounds like someone chewing on a pen and breathing heavily or something like that? It's always grossed me out and kinda ruined Medium as a soundtrack to me... :\ It only lasts like 10 or 20 seconds and I guess I'm just sensitive about it. Especially since the other 6 minutes of that song are so great :|

There are samples of mouth sounds, yes, but that actually makes it my favorite because it fits so perfectly for it's original intent. I always thought that in that lull towards the middle-late part of the song it sounded like... How do I put it, like whispers just barely too quiet to make out, like the secrets of the dripping earth were calling to be found. To this day, I get chills every time I hear it, it's my favorite track off that album.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Now that I'm finally getting around to listening to both albums, man are they fantastic. Congratulations to everyone who got in!

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Dolash posted:

Yeah, pretty sure it's bounced around the thread a couple times now. It's pretty solid.

I like the idea that Neon will be Roxy, so she can have a night club planet.

Land of Parties and Nightlife

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I would have thought that the land of Pyramids would be Jake's - after all, where else would one find a Cairo Overcoat if not in a pyramid?

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

ROCK SOLBO
Did anyone take this yet? Because I am so very sorely tempted.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Well Manicured Man posted:

I think the best way to describe it is that until the player enters, their planet doesn't exist, but once the player has entered, their planet has existed for millions/billions of years (from its perspective). You know, kind of like the fundamentalist Christian idea that God created the world to look billions of years old six thousand years ago to test our faith.

Also I'm pretty sure every depiction of the Incipisphere prior to [S] Jade: Enter had only three planets, with an empty space where LoFaF would be.

I checked before I put the question out there, but the 4th spot was always tactfully hidden behind Skaia if the other three were shown. I honestly could never figure out which way we were meant to think of it other than "Hussie's telling the story." I do like the idea of the planets not existing, but it does make me wonder what would happen if one made it to their second gate too fast. Y'know, other than a doomed timeline.

Bobulus posted:

I kinda want neon to be Dirk. If each Noble has the same reptiles as their equivalent B1 kid, he could have mummified crocodiles in pyramids.

This would be adorable :3:

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Cavatica posted:

I do like the idea of the planets not existing, but it does make me wonder what would happen if one made it to their second gate too fast. Y'know, other than a doomed timeline.

Or to take the spookier option.

Edit: Hey look Book 2 will be at TCAF: http://torontocomics.com/books/homestuck-volume-2/

H.P. Shivcraft fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 16, 2012

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Land of Puppets and Neon. Plush rump red light district. :c00lbert:

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

Edit: Hey look Book 2 will be at TCAF: http://torontocomics.com/books/homestuck-volume-2/

Man this is like 5 minutes from where I live and I didn't even know it was a thing, I guess I should check it out and buy the second book.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

Need this on my bookshelf so bad oh my god that cover art is adorable. Hussie hurry up and put this up for sale so I can throw money at my computer screen.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is an interesting character relationship interpretation of the dynamic between Jane and Dirk, although written in the usual overwrought tumblrite fashion.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Tollymain posted:

This is an interesting character relationship interpretation of the dynamic between Jane and Dirk, although written in the usual overwrought tumblrite fashion.

Speaking of subtleties of the alpha characters, the thing that bothers me most about Roxy is that she probably developed a drinking problem from living in the future ruled by an alien tyrant and completely isolated from her peers :smith:

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
I wonder what'd happen if she ever sobered up, as well she might with all the adventuring and such. Probably wouldn't resemble what happened to Gamzee, but it'd be interesting to watch.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

A big flaming stink posted:

Speaking of subtleties of the alpha characters, the thing that bothers me most about Roxy is that she probably developed a drinking problem from living in the future ruled by an alien tyrant and completely isolated from her peers :smith:

Can you blame her?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Radio Paranoia posted:

Can you blame her?

I mean, its a pretty understandable response to her situation, but it doesn't change the fact that she's a 16 year old alcoholic. That's depressing poo poo right there.

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
Regarding all the speculation about the alpha lands, I'm not really sure the next three will be all be The Land of [graves] and [noble gas], especially since xenon, neon, and krypton are all used to make "neon" lights. (Actual neon glows orange, other colours are all other gases; xenon is blue and krypton is white. Krypton with coloured bulbs is usually how multicoloured signs are made.) I can't really think of anything other than neon lights that any of those are used for, either.

The idea of Dirk's planet being filled with gaudy orange lights is pretty great though.

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

Did I miss anything important?
Man between Homestuck Book 2 and the first collection of ThreeWordPhrase, TCAF is not gonna be kind on my wallet. I hope no one asks Hussie to pour Faygo into a bucket again.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Krypton introduces the possibility of copious Superman references. Xenon is sometimes used as an anesthetic.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Cavatica posted:

I do like the idea of the planets not existing, but it does make me wonder what would happen if one made it to their second gate too fast. Y'know, other than a doomed timeline.

Presumably a gate to the planet of a player not yet entered would work fine so long as the player enters the medium eventually, so there's no problem with getting to a gate "too fast" so long as everyone gets in to the game at some point. If a player gets into the game, their planet has always existed, so it's fine for other players to go there even if they haven't gotten in yet, because they will have gotten in at some point*.

If they don't, well you're right hosed then, aren't you. Personally I think it would be totally congruous for the planet to simply not exist and the gates to it to not work in this case, especially as it would introduce another delicious cause/effect confusion: did the player not get in because their session is glitched to not have a planet for them? or is there no planet because they simply didn't make it in for whatever reason? The answer is yes.

*I'm imagining something like a global variable/event flag in a program, except it's outside of time instead of outside of functions.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
So, the choice for a "guide" here is rather...concerning.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
You know exactly what to tell people when they look over your shoulder and see this update. When they ask what this is.

What it is, is motherfucking canon. Not that I really understand how, though.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
"gently caress no" indeed :gonk:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Okay so I'm sure this makes total sense somehow??? (jk, this makes no sense whatsoever, and likely never will)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Uh, OK?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Suddenly, I understand jack poo poo. Again.

Dead alternate without creepy eyes yet? Or did he actually go god-tier while no-one was looking?

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

What??? I don't even...:psyduck:

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
Hhaha what the gently caress. Well, I was not expecting THAT.

Also it's nice to see that Jane was only temporarily annoyed with the auto-responder, though I really wish she'd talked to Dirk instead. Hopefully she'll be cool with him too, their friendship is so great, it'd suck if it was ruined over a boy :ohdear:

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Suddenly, I understand jack poo poo. Again.

Dead alternate without creepy eyes yet? Or did he actually go god-tier while no-one was looking?

He has Aradia's time machine so it's probably Gamzee from the future.

That said, obviously the details of how are still a gigantic question mark.

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Apr 16, 2012

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

dumb brunette posted:

He has Aradia's time machine so it's probably Gamzee from the future.

That said, obviously the details of how are still a gigantic question mark.

Yeah, I saw the time machines but it was the How that was making me :psyduck:. All the trolls' quest beds were destroyed with the rest of their incinisphere, right?

EDIT: I wonder if you could pick up a Quest Bed with a Miracle Modus...

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Yeah, I saw the time machines but it was the How that was making me :psyduck:. All the trolls' quest beds were destroyed with the rest of their incinisphere, right?

Indeed.

My guess is it's an alternate timeline Gamzee who's destined to die soon, mostly cause that's what Aradia used the turntables for.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
He has the healed scratch marks, at least.

I can see them somehow meeting back up with Aradia mid-trip and for some reason she gives him (or he takes?) her music box time things. But I guess I didn't know anyone other than the Hero of Time could use them?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Indeed.

My guess is it's an alternate timeline Gamzee who's destined to die soon, mostly cause that's what Aradia used the turntables for.

That was my first thought, but he's got those scars from when he killed Nepeta. And that was after their dreamselves died. And going god-tier heals your scars (remember, Vriska got her eye and arm back because her dreamself was unscarred)

So either:

A) He's from an an alternate timeline where he went godtier and later got scars (Maybe he was the only troll to not go crazy, and after everyone died, he resurrected because he's god tier and traveled back with Aradia's time-musicboxes?)

B) Gamzee somehow goes God-Tier in the future of the actual timeline and then travels backwards. (Hmm...he hasn't been seen since the Green Sun. Did he...stay there and do some sort of shenanigans with the corpse party to somehow go God Tier?)

C) Andrew is pranking us, like he just stitched a God-Tier costume and isn't actually God-Tier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
Considering that this session has always been designed to have the eight B1 and B2 kids work together, I would not be at all shocked if it had also been designed to godtier the trolls in some bizarre fashion. Maybe the trolls have quest beds of their aspects tucked away in Prospit and Derse, or hidden on the other planets, or maybe there's yet more ways to become god tier we still haven't seen.