Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!

Dren posted:

It seems like good policy to wait until after EVO. It makes sense for patches/new versions of games to be coordinated with tournament seasons.

I'm pretty happy with that nerf list.

Spacebees I would like to see some help for Iron Man as well but my biggest problem with him is that KK too hard for me. I can't do it consistently. I've tried him out a little bit without KK but his c.M s.H S chain doesn't always connect and can get him murdered on whiff. IM would be a lot of fun if his execution were a little easier or his launcher were a little less rear end. The kind of stuff you're asking for I don't feel like you'll get.

The KK is a harder combo especially bnb wise. I was actually screwing it up last night despite not usually dropping it, its the most consistent thing I can do with Iron Man. Its hard but there are some tricks to doing it.

For the s.H xx Fly, j.M, j.M, j.H xx Unfly j.h part, you can actually delay the Unfly H quite a bit..in fact its best you wait, the longer you wait the easier the unfly H is. After that, while doing the j.M, j.M, j.dH, S part, just hold down the entire time, at least that works for me. As far as not using the KK bnb..its essential for the reasons you mentioned, his launcher is easily the worst in the entire game and the KK bnb basically exists to get around the lovely launcher range and give you max range hit confirms from j.H attacks.

I agree with you though, he's really execution intense and he takes a ton of practice. When I was playing at last night's gathering, I was dropping the KK a ton. I still haven't even started practicing his badass up exchange TAC combo Smart Bomb loop, and have only begun working on the air to air combos from super jump height, which do even more damage than his bnbs do, but are difficult combos. Since one of my friends play's Modok, I can tag him with j.Hs but don't really have a real way to convert it to damage. I feel like learning these combos is also really important but I haven't even really started yet.

The one nice thing about the KK combo is if you drop any part of it, all his fly jump normals are safe on block, and when you unfly H, if they aren't expecting the fast double overhead, they can sometimes get tagged, and at that point you'll be in range to connect his launcher and do air series, S, H Smart Bomb OTG Proton Cannon or Iron Avenger. For this reason, its best to put the combo into your muscle memory, since missing the flight link from s.H xx Fly j.M doesn't mean you die, it just means you're in a safe string. Any Iron Man combo that has you chaining c.M into S is complete trash for the very reason that its a horrible habit to grind into your muscle memory. The KK combo is a superior one for this reason.

Just keep at it man, it took be an entire week of grinding the KK nonstop to be able to get it, and I imagine this is how long its going to take to get the air to air super jump height and TAC Smart Bomb loops down. Iron Man is a real difficult character to use, I'd probably rate him in the top 5 most difficult characters to play in this game execution wise. He's behind Jill and MAYBE Rocket Raccoon but I can't think of anyone else. Even Viper is easier to play.

As far as Iron Man buffs for the patch, I'm sure he'll get some buffs, and at the bare minimum I want faster airdashes and maybe tweaking his magic series and launcher so its not complete poo poo for confirming into air combos.

SpaceBees fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
The new buff should be Dr. Strange can airdash

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
The new buff should be redoing Hsein-Ko from scratch :(

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

SpaceBees posted:

Just keep at it man, it took be an entire week of grinding the KK nonstop to be able to get it, and I imagine this is how long its going to take to get the air to air super jump height and TAC Smart Bomb loops down. Iron Man is a real difficult character to use, I'd probably rate him in the top 5 most difficult characters to play in this game execution wise. He's behind Jill and MAYBE Rocket Raccoon but I can't think of anyone else. Even Viper is easier to play.

Thanks for the encouragement but every time I grind it for 20 minutes or something I always get sick of the grind, give up and play a character I can use instead. I used to be way more motivated to learn characters when there weren't any I could play.

I'm sure this will never happen but I'd like Wolverine to get some projectile invincibility on berserker slash.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I think Wolverine is fine as he is, and Berserker Slash definitely has enough pros as it is right now - it's a free ground crossup that you can start full combos with.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Are there any decent resources for Phoenix Wright out there? I know he's garbage but now that Skullgirls is out I'm not really taking this game seriously anymore and I want to try to get better with him.

Specifically, if there's something he has or if there's an assist he can use to stop teleporters, that would be awesome. It almost seems like Capcom should just patch PW so that him calling Maya barrier automatically causes the other player to teleport behind you without them having to do it, it would make the game much more efficient.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

The Rokstar posted:

Are there any decent resources for Phoenix Wright out there? I know he's garbage but now that Skullgirls is out I'm not really taking this game seriously anymore and I want to try to get better with him.

Specifically, if there's something he has or if there's an assist he can use to stop teleporters, that would be awesome. It almost seems like Capcom should just patch PW so that him calling Maya barrier automatically causes the other player to teleport behind you without them having to do it, it would make the game much more efficient.

Haggar (lariat) and Hulk (AA Gamma Charge) both work well to stuff teleporters. I run PW/Wesker/Haggar and calling Haggar preemptively works like a charm to beat most teleports. I try to call lariat right as I'm finishing the motion for Maya shield so you have that bit of extra protection to dash into Maya and start collecting evidence/toss out a hard to see low or overhead on someone trying to break the shield. I can't count the number of times I've had a Vergil 'here I am' into Haggar's loving arms and float down into the sneeze launcher for a full combo.

You can easily beat Dante's teleport with s.A or s.C on reaction (or airthrow.) Deadpool's may be the scariest teleport because he can teleport in front of you (between the shield and PW, but in front of Haggar) and mix you up, but as long as you can survive the first two teleport mixups you're fine. Wesker's teleport I've never really been too concerned about, just sit inside Maya and throw out a few random pokes to discourage walk-up command throws.

The main thing to get a feel for is how long Maya will stay out (a little over 2 seconds, or 250k worth of damage soaked up by her.) This will help you be safe instead of searching for 1 too many evidence pulls or whatever.

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 16, 2012

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

The Rokstar posted:

Someone linked a PW video in the last couple of pages that showed some tech to help gather evidence. If you kill a character with a hyper then DHC into PW's Maya super you get like 5 seconds to collect evidence before the new character comes in.

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot
Get 'em Missile works reasonably well with characters that square/triangle jump and go in with a lot of high-hitting pressure. I've caught people with the dog when doing Nova's airdash forward and j.H, and I think the projectile stays out even if Wright gets tagged.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Any VJ footage out there besides Kusoru? Also does he have any combos that don't require the DP+m, j.H to do decent damage? I'm having some trouble getting damage out of him after I connect with j.S. I don't need optimal damage, but I certainly need more damage.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Why is Morrigan getting nerfed? Hidden missiles is the only reason spam becomes a problem.

Undersea Magic
Dec 16, 2006

Safety Scissors posted:

Any VJ footage out there besides Kusoru? Also does he have any combos that don't require the DP+m, j.H to do decent damage? I'm having some trouble getting damage out of him after I connect with j.S. I don't need optimal damage, but I certainly need more damage.

There's some videos of my Joe at http://youtu.be/tX2HTHflztw and http://youtu.be/rkMboNoXhAQ , though both of those videos were taken while I was extremely rusty and show me dropping everything. There was much better footage of me taken tonight at http://www.twitch.tv/nerdpalace/b/315235089, starting at around 1:15:00 and 1:47:00. As far as Joe combos go, most of the optimal ones that I know of require the link after medium upper, but I guess you could just do launch into sj.M, H > Double Jump > M, H > M RHK > M RHK > Airdash > L Air Joe > S > tiger knee Six Cannon if it's easier for you.

Undersea Magic fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 17, 2012

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

theguy2687 posted:

Why is Morrigan getting nerfed? Hidden missiles is the only reason spam becomes a problem.

buffs and nerfs in this game are entirely from capcom listening to the lowest common denominator

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

theguy2687 posted:

If anything gets nerfed with Morrigan I think it'll be unfly recovery.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

darealkooky posted:

buffs and nerfs in this game are entirely from capcom listening to the lowest common denominator

Yes, entirely. We'll just ignore that Wesker, Zero, and Spencer are all getting nerfed too, just going to ignore that.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Nerf Zero.

Everything else is up for fuckin' hoots and I honestly don't think should be adjusted based on what people vocalize (because it's usually dumb, like "nerf morrigan" or "buff wolverine", the gently caress is that garbage) but knowing Capcom it's probably a total crapshoot and they're gonna end up making some other really retarded character super strong for no given reason.

Hopefully it's Magneto because I actually like that guy.

edit:

BUFF STORM HOLY poo poo I ALMOST FORGOT

BUFF THE gently caress OUT OF STORM CAPCOM YOU FUCKS

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

You guys are making it out to be like Zero and Wesker have been winning every major ever since the game came out. Last I checked, the only guy really making strides with Zero is Mihe, and I haven't seen anyone pulling huge victories with Wesker teams. There are characters winning majors far more regularly than those two, but there's yet to be anything said about them, so what's with the overwhelming desire for just those two to get reamed?

Edit: That's not to say I don't agree with some light nerfs, but without reducing average single meter combos from 1.2m to 400k. That's just going way too far in the exact opposite direction, see a couple notable Vanilla > Ultimate nerfs.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 17, 2012

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

NecroMonster posted:

Yes, entirely. We'll just ignore that Wesker, Zero, and Spencer are all getting nerfed too, just going to ignore that.

Zero is the only one of these three that needs touched, but the problem with Zero is his design is loving stupid. Scrap his entire moveset and try again Capcom.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Sade posted:

Zero is the only one of these three that needs touched, but the problem with Zero is his design is loving stupid. Scrap his entire moveset and try again Capcom.

You know, sometimes I wonder, what if Zero's attacks were as quick as they're supposed to be? Like if all the hits resolved in only a few frames for the forward swordslash, and the lightning had a very brief active period but similar recovery to what it has now. WOuld he be more broken or less, assuming you kept his recovery frames the same but only shortened active periods?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

If they seriously nerf Morrigan in a game where characters like Wesker and others can break 800,000 damage without blinking I don't even know what to say

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

If they seriously nerf Morrigan in a game where characters like Wesker and others can break 800,000 damage without blinking I don't even know what to say

I'd be incredibly surprised if those characters also didn't get nerfed.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

It seems to me that the design of zoning characters, like Morrigan and Deadpool, is lower combo damage than rushdown characters that is meant to be made up for by incidental zoning damage. I think it's ok that these characters have less combo damage than Wesker.

Maybe when they nerf Wesker they will crap on his gunshot a bit. One of the things that makes him so good is that the superjump gun xx teleport loop is actually really good zoning. It'd be a really good nerf for Wesker to have to really start worrying when he's at fullscreen distance.

I have no idea what to do about Zero but he is sick good. Buster cancel gives him two unbelievable things that no one else has:
1. He's got safe hitconfirms from every (or nearly every) position on the screen.
2. He doesn't have to worry about XFGC punishes.
Maybe just take away buster cancel? I don't know.

Is it just me or is a really good Vergil completely terrifying?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Dren posted:

I have no idea what to do about Zero but he is sick good. Buster cancel gives him two unbelievable things that no one else has:
1. He's got safe hitconfirms from every (or nearly every) position on the screen.
2. He doesn't have to worry about XFGC punishes.
Maybe just take away buster cancel? I don't know.

Is it just me or is a really good Vergil completely terrifying?

He is, but look at what you just typed about Zero. Vergil has horrible recovery on most (all?) of his normals, which means that he has to be really careful about covering himself.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

S-Alpha posted:

You guys are making it out to be like Zero and Wesker have been winning every major ever since the game came out. Last I checked, the only guy really making strides with Zero is Mihe, and I haven't seen anyone pulling huge victories with Wesker teams. There are characters winning majors far more regularly than those two, but there's yet to be anything said about them, so what's with the overwhelming desire for just those two to get reamed?

Edit: That's not to say I don't agree with some light nerfs, but without reducing average single meter combos from 1.2m to 400k. That's just going way too far in the exact opposite direction, see a couple notable Vanilla > Ultimate nerfs.

Winning majors is a good indicator of a top tier character, but it shouldn't hold that much weight for a 1< year old game. If you don't think Zero is retarded as he is now then there's something about the game you just don't understand.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Sade posted:

No more sword. Only projectiles. Blue armor color mandatory.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Remove Zero then add him as another costume for Frank West.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
C'mon, the surprise return of Gustaff Fire! I think it'd be reasonable if it had the same invincibility as in Vanilla, but can't be called out during block-stun. That's the only time it becomes really abusive.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

Thundercracker posted:

C'mon, the surprise return of Gustaff Fire! I think it'd be reasonable if it had the same invincibility as in Vanilla, but can't be called out during block-stun. That's the only time it becomes really abusive.

I can't be called out of blockstun (And never could). You have small gaps in your blockstrings then that you might possibly be throw-outable from.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Boxman posted:

He is, but look at what you just typed about Zero. Vergil has horrible recovery on most (all?) of his normals, which means that he has to be really careful about covering himself.

Yeah, I didn't say he needs to be nerfed just that he is scary.

I am not a Vergil player but his infinitely chaining, gigantic, projectile eating sword normals can be canceled into rapid slash, teleport, or judgement cut for a trifecta of hard to blockness. These can then be made safe (I think) with Devil Trigger or that swords hyper where the swords float around him. As long as he has meter Vergil is super scary.

Thundercracker posted:

Assists have never (in Vanilla or in Ultimate) been allowed to be called during blockstun.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Wozbo posted:

I can't be called out of blockstun (And never could). You have small gaps in your blockstrings then that you might possibly be throw-outable from.

Edit: Dammit, Edit, not Quote

VVVVV

Oh weird, I could've sworn I abused the poo poo of that.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Can anyone give me some tips on doing any of Taskmaster's more complex combos? I'm having trouble doing anything beyond ABC-->Launcher-->S-->Down Arrows hyper. I know you can use his arrows to self OTG and relaunch, but I just can't manage to do it. Any tips?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nerf Spiral that goddamn sword lockdown is too loving good

e: Juggernaut's power-up can be made to last for the whole match? loving BULLSHIT Capcom

The Rokstar fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 17, 2012

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The Rokstar posted:

e: Juggernaut's power-up can be made to last for the whole match? loving BULLSHIT Capcom
To be fair, that was a legitimate glitch and shouldn't have been in the game.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Can anyone give me some tips on doing any of Taskmaster's more complex combos? I'm having trouble doing anything beyond ABC-->Launcher-->S-->Down Arrows hyper. I know you can use his arrows to self OTG and relaunch, but I just can't manage to do it. Any tips?

You should be figuring out a combo using Mighty Swings that works for you before trying to get into arrow relaunches, much easier and will up your damage a lot from the combo you described.

I don't really play Tasky much anymore but something along the lines of c/s.LMH6H j.MM6HMMS s.4HS sj.MH6HMHS j.236H236MH. I'm sure that's not anywhere near optimized but it works, isn't too hard to execute and it hurts.

The Taskmaster board over at Shoryuken has a pretty well kept combo thread you should go check out as well with videos demonstrating a lot of them.

Flying High
Jan 7, 2010
Hey BimodelToaster is feature in a the newest episode of Maximillion's UMVC3: The Online Warrior!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgHcS_OziYE

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!

Fereydun posted:

edit:

BUFF STORM HOLY poo poo I ALMOST FORGOT

BUFF THE gently caress OUT OF STORM CAPCOM YOU FUCKS

Don't forget Iron Man! A wavedash that isn't complete trash please.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Storm doesn't need buffs?

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
I wish Sentinel could flight cancel his specials.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

WalrusWhiskers posted:

I wish Sentinel could flight cancel his specials.

And call drones in the air and unfly that :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Flying High posted:

Hey BimodelToaster is feature in a the newest episode of Maximillion's UMVC3: The Online Warrior!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgHcS_OziYE

First Marvelous Adventures and now Online Warrior? He's an official MvC3 celebrity now.

Too bad about the dropped Doom combo.

• Locked thread