Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Mug posted:

That's DOSBox, but that's not the DOS version of Theme Hospital. The DOS version doesn't have SVGA as an option in the menu at the top.

I guess they worked a bit of GoG magic on it?
My original 1997 copy of Theme Hospital, which comes with both DOS and Windows executables, allows you to use SVGA in either case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Mug posted:

That's DOSBox, but that's not the DOS version of Theme Hospital. The DOS version doesn't have SVGA as an option in the menu at the top.

I guess they worked a bit of GoG magic on it?

drat lie. Even the DOS demo version was SVGA by default.

e: beaten by miles

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

BoogerMan posted:

On flow: Patients follow 3 steps:
Initial diagnosis (after walking to reception)
Further diagnosis (going to a diagnosis room and then returning to a GP, can repeat multiple times)
Treatment

So a good setup is to set up a 'waiting' area for each step, each waiting area should have benches, drinks machines, radiators and a toilet. An initial area with 2-3 GP offices for walk ins, a separate diagnosis area with its own GP office (so people don't need to walk back to the initial area) and then treatment areas.

You should also have your ward near your surgery as patients going to surgery goto the ward first. Because of that, stick your surgery, ward, pharmacy and fracture clinic near eachother (as they all need nurses).

Some other minor things are: bigger/more furnished rooms make staff/patients happier and decreases the time it takes for treatment. Make sure to keep a central staff room so you don't waste lots of time with staff walking across the map to rest. An area far away from patients with your training room / research room and its own little staff room is good too as those doctors won't be walking back to your main areas. Consultants make good initial GPs as they will give a really high % diagnosed straight off the bat and might mean they go straight to treatment.

You can edit the rooms after you've built them by clicking on the edit room button, its to the right of the corridor item button. Once you click on a room your cursor might change to some 'zzzz', this means its waiting for the people in the room to exit before it brings up the menu.

What about patients going to two separate rooms that are the same type during diagnosis? I.e. patient goes to general diagnosis room A, but completely ignores general diagnosis B? I mean, it does make sense...

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Unlucky7 posted:

What about patients going to two separate rooms that are the same type during diagnosis? I.e. patient goes to general diagnosis room A, but completely ignores general diagnosis B? I mean, it does make sense...
No, they will undergo each diagnosis type once. Furthermore, not all conditions can be examined in every type of diagnosis room - for example, you will never see an invisible person or someone with a broken leg running on the treadmill. Scanners and X-rays are the best and most versatile iirc, but they require research to build.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

scamtank posted:

drat lie. Even the DOS demo version was SVGA by default.

e: beaten by miles

I guess my VGA adapter didn't allow SVGA in DOS for some reason. Well there you go. I always played the Windows version under 98 because of that.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

kissekatt posted:

No, they will undergo each diagnosis type once. Furthermore, not all conditions can be examined in every type of diagnosis room - for example, you will never see an invisible person or someone with a broken leg running on the treadmill. Scanners and X-rays are the best and most versatile iirc, but they require research to build.

A full skill consultant in a GP's Office will fully diagnose basically every ailment in the game. Not all that cost effective, since you miss out on billing for the extra diagnosis and your system will fall apart the second he needs a break, but you should always have your best doctors in the GP Office if possible.

Most of the money is in healing the illnesses anyway.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

shalcar posted:

Most of the money is in healing the illnesses anyway.

No joke. Tier 2 pharmaceuticals (transparency, invisibility) and psychiatric conditions bring in obscene amounts of money.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I also found a surprisingly effective way of saving money: turn the radiators down just before the heating bill goes off. I went from losing $5-6k per month to about $2-3k.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic players, have any of you tried the Version 1.5 MP Evolution fan-patches? It looks like they're designed primarily with multiplayer in mind, but some of the changes look rather appealing for singe-player as well. Moving a bunch of Cosmos spells to a "Common" sphere and filling out Cosmos with flavorful spells of its own is a neat idea, and the changes to spell access and research seem like they'd be a godsend.

Kestral fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 16, 2012

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Kestral posted:

Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic players, have any of you tried the Version 1.5 MP Evolution fan-patches? It looks like they're designed primarily with multiplayer in mind, but some of the changes look rather appealing for singe-player as well. Moving a bunch of Cosmos spells to a "Common" sphere and filling out Cosmos with flavorful spells of its own is a neat idea, and the changes to spell access and research seem like they'd be a godsend.

I've just been using uPatch 1.4, sorry.

I mostly play singleplayer, and I've had bad experiences in other games with MP-focused patches or mods breaking SP, so generally I won't even look at a fanpatch starting with "MP".

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut is on sale at the moment for $4.99.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Blodskur posted:

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut is on sale at the moment for $4.99.

I guess this is due to the sequel getting a (free) massive update tomorrow then! I was thinking of picking it up today as it says existing owners will get the extra content free. Does anyone know if the price will go up from tomorrow or something?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Zeether posted:

I really wish Microsoft would open their back library to GOG, because stuff like Freelancer and Mechwarrior deserves to be on there. This one guy on the wishlist entries for both games keeps copying and pasting a statement that it'll never happen because MS doesn't care and will probably only release them on Games for Windows Live if they do.

Same here, would love to play Fury3 or Hellbender again. :allears:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Galaga Galaxian posted:

GoG.com seems to favor the DOS version of games when available, probably because of how easy it is to get them running smoothly thanks to DOSBox.
Not only does DOSBox make it trivially easy, but it's also because early Windows (95/98) games can be incredibly difficult to get ported/running on a modern version of Windows. Developers were already using hacks upon hacks for games when Windows was still running on top of DOS roots, and getting those to play nice with modern operating systems is a bitch. If GoG has a choice between a DOS or Windows 95 version of a game to post, they usually go for the DOS version.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Can someone help me figure out why my Planescape: Torment is crashing frequently? It happens somewhat commonly upon entering a door to a house, but is now crashing whenever I try to talk to Yvana, in the art gallery in the Clerk Ward. Sometimes it crashes when I look at the painting near her, but it always crashes after I finish conversing with her.

If it's a mod thing, I'm pretty sure the only mod I have installed is the widescreen mod, but it's been a while since I started playing and I don't remember if I have installed anything since.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

apophenium posted:

Can someone help me figure out why my Planescape: Torment is crashing frequently? It happens somewhat commonly upon entering a door to a house, but is now crashing whenever I try to talk to Yvana, in the art gallery in the Clerk Ward. Sometimes it crashes when I look at the painting near her, but it always crashes after I finish conversing with her.

If it's a mod thing, I'm pretty sure the only mod I have installed is the widescreen mod, but it's been a while since I started playing and I don't remember if I have installed anything since.

Changing mods in mid-game is the most common cause of crashing. Installing the unofficial patch, or installing, uninstalling, or reconfiguring the widescreen mod, invalidates all of your save files - they will still load but you will get constant crashes.

If you haven't done that, I have no idea.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

apophenium posted:

This happened to me too. I googled around for it and it has something to do with the widescreen mod and animated sprites. What causes the crash is a animated model on the lower right part of the screen being rendered. On top of that, spawning NPCs will cause it to render, which also crashes it.

I eventually just figured out exactly where all the spawns occurred and where the crash would happen through trial and error. As soon as my party would zone in I would run my party members to specific places and block off their routes to the side of the screen that causes the crash.

I was able to finish the quest that way. I know it isn't the beat thing but it was all I could do. Apparently there are values in the game file that are editable to fix the issue, but I didn't feel confident doing that.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

I've found a guy on the GoG forums who can edit your .exe so that it doesn't crash. I've sent him my .exe and am awaiting a reply. If it ends up working I'll let you guys know.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

On a general 'old games' note - and one that GOG will never stock because Disney are run by cocks - the modding community for Tron 2.0 (you know - the GOOD Tron game) are still quietly kicking. A while back, they released the Killer App mod, which is basically a huge fan-patch that fixes stuff, adds more multiplayer options and adds native widescreen support.

Just a couple weeks back - and something I only found out the other day - they also updated User Error, a sizable fan-made expansion, to support Killer App and all the upgrades therein, as well as fixing up a few things.

The only way to get the game legit is either second-hand via Ebay or Amazon, as Disney seemingly buried it shortly after launch, so good hunting if you don't give in to the temptation to just torrent it.. but it's worth it either way. Good FPS made better by the fans.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Dominic White posted:

On a general 'old games' note - and one that GOG will never stock because Disney are run by cocks - the modding community for Tron 2.0 (you know - the GOOD Tron game) are still quietly kicking. A while back, they released the Killer App mod, which is basically a huge fan-patch that fixes stuff, adds more multiplayer options and adds native widescreen support.

Just a couple weeks back - and something I only found out the other day - they also updated User Error, a sizable fan-made expansion, to support Killer App and all the upgrades therein, as well as fixing up a few things.

The only way to get the game legit is either second-hand via Ebay or Amazon, as Disney seemingly buried it shortly after launch, so good hunting if you don't give in to the temptation to just torrent it.. but it's worth it either way. Good FPS made better by the fans.

Thanks for telling me this. I have a copy that I bought from Half-Price Books about two years ago that hasn't seen use in a long while that could use a install. Still need to try that mod for the Bethesda Pirates of the Carbiean game sometime (which I got with Tron 2.0).

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

Changing mods in mid-game is the most common cause of crashing. Installing the unofficial patch, or installing, uninstalling, or reconfiguring the widescreen mod, invalidates all of your save files - they will still load but you will get constant crashes.

If you haven't done that, I have no idea.

I had problems even when installing the new mods AND starting over. It almost messed up my blog because it kept crashing EVERY time party banter started up after resting with the hobo under Curst. It's just a little unstable, but it seemed to do ok most of the time. Autosaves were a live saver, though.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Man I remember Tron 2.0. That game was loving awesome.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

apophenium posted:

I've found a guy on the GoG forums who can edit your .exe so that it doesn't crash. I've sent him my .exe and am awaiting a reply. If it ends up working I'll let you guys know.

Please double check this is legit and be safe!

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
I bought Lionheart during the sale because despite all accounts of it being a complete car crash of a game, I am infinitely curious and want to see just how much of a disaster it really is. I'll probably regret it, but that's why I picked up Sacrifice as well.

Any advice on character creation?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
During the Interplay, MDK caught my eye. I remember hotseating with a friend once, back in 6th grade, and it was a blast. Am I just totally nostalgic for it, or should I give them 3 dollars to find out?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Momonari kun posted:

I bought Lionheart during the sale because despite all accounts of it being a complete car crash of a game, I am infinitely curious and want to see just how much of a disaster it really is. I'll probably regret it, but that's why I picked up Sacrifice as well.

Any advice on character creation?

Despite its initial impression, it's a pure combat game past the first act. So make something along those lines, i guess.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

AxeManiac posted:

Please double check this is legit and be safe!

I went ahead and did some research and the guy has apparently helped work on the widescreen patch for the game.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Ravenfood posted:

During the Interplay, MDK caught my eye. I remember hotseating with a friend once, back in 6th grade, and it was a blast. Am I just totally nostalgic for it, or should I give them 3 dollars to find out?

Give'em. MDK 1 is a fun, creative, low-commitment, high-bullet count shooter.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

apophenium posted:

Classic scam. You're never gonna see that exe again, man. :(

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

Classic scam. You're never gonna see that exe again, man. :(

:ohdear: Do you think I should press charges?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

apophenium posted:

:ohdear: Do you think I should press charges?

If you receive a little piece of code in the mail, it may be time to involve the FBI for missing .exes.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

I don't know, my .exes don't want me to contact them even when I miss them.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I'm against capital punishment, executables shouldn't exist.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

kissekatt posted:

I don't know, my .exes don't want me to contact them even when I miss them.

Someday they hope you will reinstall them, but you just keep postponing it and run that CD around and around.

And then when you finally decide to forgive her and install her again, she's so scratched it's like she's not even the same anymore. Or you realize you were looking back through rose-colored glasses on a relationship in a more favorable light compared to your latest .exes.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Andrigaar posted:

Is there a sad trumpet emoticon?

I lauged.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Andrigaar posted:

It is not the executables to blame, but the people who profit from it.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

What I don't get is how these nutjobs can be in favor of executables, but still pro-DLC!

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
I'm considering finally buying the Witcher with the sale this week, but I downloaded the demo, and combat in this game seems really unintuitive and controls terribly. Does it get better as you play or is it just crappy throughout?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So no new release today because of Witcher 2EE? Lame. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Zeeman posted:

I'm considering finally buying the Witcher with the sale this week, but I downloaded the demo, and combat in this game seems really unintuitive and controls terribly. Does it get better as you play or is it just crappy throughout?

You can add spells here and there, but the combat in Witcher 1 isn't so great. They really improve it in the second game.