Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

Aniki posted:

I was talking about missing time not loss of consciousness. A lot of times when you get a concussion, you don't pass out, but you don't remember anything immediately before or immediately after the impact.

Yeah, the two concussions I've had have been this.

First time, playing rep hockey in Bantam, I got hit with a glancing shoulder directly to head, remember getting hit, remember hitting the ice and getting up, and then collapsed on the way to the bench. Don't remember anything until I was in the room like 15 minutes later.

Second time, playing beer league, I remember going "poo poo he's gonna elbow me since I avoided the stupid rear end check he was trying to lay out" and then nothing until I was on the bench. Finished the game like an idiot, and only realised something was wrong when I tried to figure out the tip after 2 beers at the bar above the rink and couldn't (being an engineering student, this actually freaked me out pretty bad). Then, again stupidly, I figured just sleeping it off would be enough, tried to do a lab the next day, and couldn't read the manual for poo poo, was woozy, and couldn't focus. Went to the clinic, said I thought I was concussed, the doc ran some basic tests and basically said yep, I was, told me to use Tylenol, gave me a note to get out of labs and quizzes and assignments and sent me on my way.

Basically, having a trainer on the bench the first time protected me from my own stupidity, while the second time... not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

3 games between my 2 teams this weekend. :getin:

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 13, 2012

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
We won our first game, which was really nice because we didn't win any regular season games last season. Not only did we win, though, we mercy-ruled the other team. They had good hockey sense and it was a good game the first period and a half (score was 4-2), but they only had 5 skaters to our 8, and the second half of the game they just couldn't keep pace. I felt kind of bad but I don't think there was much more we could have done to keep it competitive.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Sort of surprised there isn't more Reebok stuff used, I see a ton of it around here.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Whole bunch of sluts for Bauer gear up in here!

I figured Reebok would win shins and elbows by a landslide, given they carry the Jofa lineage and everyone seems to go nuts for Jofa gear.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Ugh we lost a close game last night. We played 100% better than the poor effort on Tuesday night's 8-3 loss. It was 0-0 for most of the game, they scored first on a goal that rattled off of some skates in front. We battled back and I got a nice feed from my defense carrying the puck behind the net for an easy 5-hole tap in goal (Note: always stop in front of the net NOT behind it). There's 11 seconds left in the game and we have the puck. Our defenseman has the puck and is getting pressured and instead of passing across to the other D man or throwing the puck up the boards he tried to make a move around the guy and gets stripped. Guy gets a breakaway and scores. Heartbreaking loss :(

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
And I'm the only one who only wears a helmet.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

Awesome Animals posted:

And it appears I'm the only one with Tour skates

What's up unique-buddy :cool::hf::cool:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Awesome Animals posted:

After the poo poo I've seen between drop-in and beer league, I think you've got to be out of your mind not to at least wear a visor.

Speaking of which - there's an interesting article in USA Hockey mag this month about visors/cages in college hockey. Apparently there's growing support to remove the full cage requirement for college hockey programs.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dangerllama posted:

Speaking of which - there's an interesting article in USA Hockey mag this month about visors/cages in college hockey. Apparently there's growing support to remove the full cage requirement for college hockey programs.

I posted a thing on this a while ago during the last round of cage-chat. Here's a new thing. I think this is a good idea as I really do think there is something to the "gladiator effect" and recklessness when it comes to hockey at a super high competition level.

On the flip side, I always feel a lot safer playing with experienced players (most of whom are wearing shields) than I do when playing with newer players who are all wearing cages. One pickup game I go to sometimes has a lot of newer guys and I don't even bother going into corners anymore there as I've been whacked too many times by a guy who has no idea where his stick is when he loses his balance trying to stop or something.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I've taken too many pucks/sticks to my cage to ever seriously consider playing without one. Sure, the worst that could happen is a broken nose, or losing a couple of teeth, but that's just not something I want to risk just for slightly better peripheral vision.

ItalicSquirrel
Sep 6, 2004

Don't post a ton but had to take the survey to add a tally in the Easton helmet column.

Seriously, the S19 might not be the most protective helmet on the market, but if you're in an adult no-check league with people who know how to skate and stop (you know, the level where some guys feel comfortable skating w/o any facial protection), it's more than enough protection and it is light as hell.

With the E700 out, the S19s are super-discounted too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I was forced into a CCM helm because it was the only one in the store that would fit around my enormous cranium.

I started at one end and went all the way down the aisle trying the biggest version each brand made. Near the end was the CCM models and finally one of them sat right. I still had to extend the helmet as big as it would go.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Just put in some Reebok shin guard love.

I have a completely mixed bag of gear (reebok/bauer/easton) and what I noticed about the quiz, no sticks?

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

xzzy posted:

I was forced into a CCM helm because it was the only one in the store that would fit around my enormous cranium.

I started at one end and went all the way down the aisle trying the biggest version each brand made. Near the end was the CCM models and finally one of them sat right. I still had to extend the helmet as big as it would go.

This was me with my Bauer helmet.

My friend looked at it proceeded to verbally abuse me because I had an "XL" helmet.

Also, does anyone else remove the ear protection? The same friend who mocked me removed my ear protection last night before our game and I found a noticeable difference in the amount of chatter I hear.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I took my ear guards off, my hearing is bad enough that having crap covering the ears would make me useless.

I always wonder if that's gonna be the spot where I get injured because I was an idiot and removed safety equipment though.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

We were required to wear the ear protectors starting last season. Not that I'd ever take mine off...

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I took the guards off one of my helmets, but I'm hesitant to take it off my other helmet because it holds the visor screw holder things in place.

That and I dont want to unscrew my visor again.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Dangerllama posted:

After the poo poo I've seen between drop-in and beer league, I think you've got to be out of your mind not to at least wear a visor.

A big factor is that I spend more time on the ice coaching rather than playing and when I do play I'm usually playing with ex-HSers. If I started playing more I'd probably consider adding a visor but I've never been to worried about lack of protection.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Hockey is awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLUwA1TuRT0&hd=1

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

real_scud posted:

Hockey is awesome

I play drop-in at that rink occasionally. Really good ice.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Ugh, gently caress playoff ringers and gently caress the teams who enable them.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

real_scud posted:

Hockey is awesome

"My favorite player is Bertuzzi. I think he's hot."

That's cool. I took the LTP class with this guy, who was easily in his 60s. 2 fake knees, but was still rockin it. He's been playing in my league for going on 4 seasons now. It's pretty awesome. Never stop playing hockey.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

real_scud posted:

Hockey is awesome

that lady likes a player who's currently going to court because he viciously attacked someone because she thinks he's hot

therefore i don't like it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Pleads posted:

Ugh, gently caress playoff ringers and gently caress the teams who enable them.

Leagues should just check IDs before playoff games. I hate that ringer poo poo.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

sellouts posted:

Leagues should just check IDs before playoff games. I hate that ringer poo poo.

Oh, there was an ID check.

The problem is these guys play on 2-3 teams across 2-3 divisions, play the bare minimum required to qualify for the playoffs (and score 3-4 points and win by 3-4 on each game they play while otherwise their team loses every other game) and then they ALL show up for the playoffs and suddenly the #6 team in C league has a full line of B+ league players.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
Speaking of ringers...

Is it worth complaining about a ringer and a ref after you lose?

This guy pretty much was good for 4-5 cheap shots per shift, to the point where everyone on my team was saying something to me about it. I mention to the ref that he keep is pretty heavy on the cheap shots(at this time we have been called for everything minor and he was called for nothing and I'm the captain).. Finally he drops one of out best skates with a huge hit(our player was down on the ice for 1-2 minutes after the hit) I skate over to the ref and say "that is what happens when you dont call anything" and I got called for unsportsmanlike.. The period ends and I get out of the box to talk to the ref and he refuses to talk to me..

2nd or 3rd shift after the guy gets out of the box he drills someone from behind and the ref that I talked to/called me goes up to him and they start laughing about something.

Is it wort it trying to say something or will it just come off as complaining?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The ref probably won't care, that might be something you have to take up with the league office.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

poser posted:

Speaking of ringers...

Is it worth complaining about a ringer and a ref after you lose?

This guy pretty much was good for 4-5 cheap shots per shift, to the point where everyone on my team was saying something to me about it. I mention to the ref that he keep is pretty heavy on the cheap shots(at this time we have been called for everything minor and he was called for nothing and I'm the captain).. Finally he drops one of out best skates with a huge hit(our player was down on the ice for 1-2 minutes after the hit) I skate over to the ref and say "that is what happens when you dont call anything" and I got called for unsportsmanlike.. The period ends and I get out of the box to talk to the ref and he refuses to talk to me..

2nd or 3rd shift after the guy gets out of the box he drills someone from behind and the ref that I talked to/called me goes up to him and they start laughing about something.

Is it wort it trying to say something or will it just come off as complaining?

Same thing happened to my team last week. Refs didn't give a poo poo, league coordinator told us he would talk to the refs. Then he sent out an e-mail to everyone addressing the "issue," the extent of which was "please remember this league is no-contact!"

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

real_scud posted:

Hockey is awesome

I was with her right up until "Todd Bertuzzi" :colbert:

--

Just got home at 12:15. Nothing like a 10:30pm game on a work night to start the week off right. And, of course, now I'm wired and need a beer.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 16, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

^^ yep I just got home from a late game too. Have to be up in 5 hours. I have another late game tomorrow night too. This is going to be a long day.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Pleads posted:

Oh, there was an ID check.

The problem is these guys play on 2-3 teams across 2-3 divisions, play the bare minimum required to qualify for the playoffs (and score 3-4 points and win by 3-4 on each game they play while otherwise their team loses every other game) and then they ALL show up for the playoffs and suddenly the #6 team in C league has a full line of B+ league players.

Yeah I played a team last night in our best of 2 semi finals series, (if both teams win a game there is a 15 min tiebreaker game), lost 11-2, but in game one, we had no problem with a 5-2 win. Completely different team showed up, they are all rostered with probably the minimum 3 games played to be eligible to be in the playoffs. Ended up with a tie in the OT game, but lost in the shootout.

The good thing is though is that their captain wasnt at the last captains meeting a few days ago, so we moved them up into a higher league without them knowing.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

We actually won a forfeit last fall when the other team had un-rostered ringers that were gooning it up, but only because the head of officiating happened to be walking by when they did something goony. The league director didn't give a poo poo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The adult league at my rink has players put a little colored sticker on their helmet to indicate their skill level, and it seems to work well. Teams are given a limit of how higher rated players can be on the ice, and the officiating crew knows what colors mean what so they can fix it when problems arise.

It seems to work okay.. probably not a hard system to cheat but the guy that runs the league has been pretty good dealing with disputes which is probably the most important thing. If you got an organizer who's just in it for the cash, nothing is gonna work properly.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
The roller league I play in is like this. I play in the lower division and it's totally not a low division. You will get guys coming down from the highest division just to play on a team. Last night we played a team that should have been in at least a division up. It's so dumb but the people that run that rink just like to keep the money flowing.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

We had some hilarious use of ringers in the championship game during my first season in the lowest, beginner league.

One of the teams playing has an A and B team. Their B team plays in my league. The A team plays up one skill level, and a few of their guys were in the stands spectating. Between the second and third period, the guys in the stands from the A team switched jerseys with dudes on the bench. One of them scored a couple goals in the third period and won the championship.

The league director did absolutely nothing about it. He said "well.... there's no rules specifically against it... so I'll let it slide." It was pretty much the most ludicrous thing I've ever seen.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Our lunch league has a draft system. Players are ranked from 1-10 based on skill level and then drafted to teams, with 3-6 being allowed in C league, 5-8 in B league, and 6-10 in A. Every season (around 10 weeks) they shuffle-up the teams in each league, with a certain number of slots allowed on each team. It's nice and makes for some pretty even games.

My night league is the polar opposite. Tons of variation in skill, and way too many guys on the bench.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

We had some hilarious use of ringers in the championship game during my first season in the lowest, beginner league.

One of the teams playing has an A and B team. Their B team plays in my league. The A team plays up one skill level, and a few of their guys were in the stands spectating. Between the second and third period, the guys in the stands from the A team switched jerseys with dudes on the bench. One of them scored a couple goals in the third period and won the championship.

The league director did absolutely nothing about it. He said "well.... there's no rules specifically against it... so I'll let it slide." It was pretty much the most ludicrous thing I've ever seen.

This is just awful...like Shanahans rulings.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Dangerllama posted:

Our lunch league has a draft system. Players are ranked from 1-10 based on skill level and then drafted to teams, with 3-6 being allowed in C league, 5-8 in B league, and 6-10 in A. Every season (around 10 weeks) they shuffle-up the teams in each league, with a certain number of slots allowed on each team. It's nice and makes for some pretty even games.

My night league is the polar opposite. Tons of variation in skill, and way too many guys on the bench.

I think I'm going to play in a summer league that's doing something like this. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Just signed up for a adult refresher course starting in June. It's been about 8 years since I've played and oh god this is going to hurt and it is going to be awesome. Time for my wallet to take a beating.