Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Ooh retro Hammer, I love the Hammer. I wonder how this one is statted up compared to its later tech canon version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Ferrosol posted:

Ooh retro Hammer, I love the Hammer. I wonder how this one is statted up compared to its later tech canon version.

Likely either a couple extra medium lasers or more armor in place of the Artemis IV FCS.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
/\Can't take much more armor, and more mediums just makes you overheat faster.

Ferrosol posted:

All you have to do is take off the Endo Steel and make up for the difference by removing the (inefficient on a five-rack anyway) Artemis systems. Leaves you with a half-ton spare, actually.

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008
Mk. II: Bigger, longer, uncut robo-cock.
Looks like I'm driving one of these badboys :c00l:

So the variant I'm piloting of the venerable Cicada is actually a very rare radical redesign of the chassis with a combat profile for threatening larger mechs. It uses a smaller engine to free up enough tonnage to mount a Donal PPC in its right torso, and sports two machine guns.... in the legs.

quote:

Its arms are vestigial—wings, really—and mount only minimal armor. The Cicada’s legs, while strong enough to carry the ’Mech at phenomenal speeds, are under armored as well.

So basically instead of myomer, I'm driving a mech with legs made out of two sticks of TNT. Who doesn't love carrying around tons of machinegun ammo!

This is gonna be fun!

Rhobot Mk. II fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 16, 2012

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
You've got a good set of lights. Shame about the sentinel there, though. Guess someone has to take the hits.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
Huh, going from piloting a Marauder in a tight arena to a Spider in a vast open field. Should be an interesting change of pace, I hope the speed doesn't go to my head.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

cafel posted:

Huh, going from piloting a Marauder in a tight arena to a Spider in a vast open field. Should be an interesting change of pace, I hope the speed doesn't go to my head.

If you're doing anything other than jumping 7 or 8, you're not driving a Spider correctly.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Glad to see a return to highly mobile combat. Battletech is all about positioning and backstabs, not fatties duking it out like boxers. Some interesting mechs on the field, but I won't be able to do a post until I see what the new stuff actually is. The modern Hammer is one of my favorite light mechs, so I am quite interested in this version.

A piece of advice: A lot of you are under-gunned, but fast. Don't ever forget about charging (or DFAs, if you have jets). I once watched a Cicada kill three of my mechs with charges into the rear arcs.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 16, 2012

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Huh.

Note: The primary objective is to drive them off, NOT destroy them. What the heck is going on here...?

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Checking in and ready to Go Fast!

Seriously check this derpy motherfucker out. Speed: 151.2 km/h. That's like 9/14, and we haven't got a spot of concrete in sight. I'm going to be doing laps of the pond. Or something.

(Yeah, ok, I've got 2 mlas and a flamer and I'm made of paper, big deal.)

edit: How are we coordinating ourselves this round, guys? Another google doc, or PMs, or what?

LeschNyhan fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 16, 2012

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010

landcollector posted:

Actually, I think the Marian Hegemony is the slaveholding one.

Ah. That's right.

Crap. What was the Concordat again? Were they the space libertarians?

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008

LeschNyhan posted:

Checking in and ready to Go Fast!

Seriously check this derpy motherfucker out. Speed: 151.2 km/h. That's like 9/14, and we haven't got a spot of concrete in sight. I'm going to be doing laps of the pond. Or something.

(Yeah, ok, I've got 2 mlas and a flamer and I'm made of paper, big deal.)

(Also, dude in the Cicada might want to rehost his image.)

edit: How are we coordinating ourselves this round, guys? Another google doc, or PMs, or what?

We could do something radical and pick a time and schedule a Google+ hangout for an hour to coordinate each turn. Then we all can be on the same page, submit at the same time, and get our orders to PTN.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Andrevian posted:

Ah. That's right.

Crap. What was the Concordat again? Were they the space libertarians?

nah the Concordat are the space :tinfoil: or the space texans or possibly both

Basically they believe the davions are always out to get them and are prepared to nuke the hell out of anyone who tries to take their JerbsPlanets

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
So, I've got some spare time, so it's time for a mech tactical assessment effortpost.

Protectorate Iron Guard

First Lance (Medium)

M1) SHD-2H Shadow Hawk Lieutenant S.G. Erasmus Chatzi (Sair)

pre:
55 tons
Movement: 5/8/3
Heat Sinks: 12
Internal: 91
Armor: 152/185 

Weapons      Loc Heat
Medium Laser RA 3
Autocannon/5 LT 1
LRM 5        RT 2
SRM 2        HD 2

Ammo       Loc Shots
AC/5 Ammo  LT  20
LRM 5 Ammo RT  24
SRM 2 Ammo CT  50
Sair, you lucky dog! You get to pilot a Shadow Hawk, possibly the best mech in the inner-sph- Ok. I can't say that with a straight face. The Shadow Hawk is an all-rounder, equally incompetent at all ranges. It has decent mobility, but mostly useless jump jets. In a fight like this, though, it's got some serious advantages, mainly from being heavier than a lot of the things on the battlefield. Let's go over your advantages:

Heat: You won't have to worry about it unless you start taking engine hits. With your abundant ammo supplies, you don't have to feel guilty about firing anything that can possibly hit.

Weapons: For a fight like this, you've got a halfway decent punch. I'd recommend getting in close so you can bring the medium laser and SRM2 into play. The AC/5 is actually fairly effective close in, unless you're right next to the enemy.

Armor: You've got a decent bit. You can take some hits that could cripple the lighter mechs without any trouble, mainly PPC hits.

M2) HER-2S Hermes II Sergeant Damaris Golde (Pinguliten)

pre:
Hermes II HER-2S
40 tons
Movement: 6/9
Heat Sinks: 10
Internal: 67
Armor: 120/137 

Weapons      Loc Heat
Flamer       LA  3
Medium Laser RA  3
Autocannon/5 RT  1

Ammo      Loc Shots
AC/5 Ammo LT  20
Ok. So you wanted a Hermes for Christmas. Unfortunately it was your grandmother buying mechs. You got a Hermes II and now you have to pretend it was exactly the one you wanted. Most of what I said about the Shadow Hawk applies. You don't have to worry about heat, you've got a little punch, it's not TOO bad. First the good news:

Speed: You're a notch faster than the SHD-2H. Not having the jump jets isn't much of a loss, and you've got a lot more freedom moving around and still being able to pass the 7 hex threshold for a +3 to hit. You get to turn, pass through woods, or change elevation twice while still giving the enemy +3 to hit. If you want to go slower, you can still turn and walk 5, which gives you a little more freedom, but I don't recommend it, because you're going to need those movement mods. This puts us on the topic of the bad news:

Armor: 120 armor, to be exact. Not terrible, still better than a good number of lights, but none of your sections except the CT can take any punishment before a PPC is going to punch right through straight to internals.

A final note: The griffin and wolfhound can get toasty. It might be worth using your flamer on them for heat if you get the chance, but I wouldn't make any moves specifically to set it up.

M3) STN-1S Sentinel Private Karan Stephanopoulos (BatteredFeltFedora)

pre:
Sentinel STN-1S
40 tons
Movement: 6/9
Heat Sinks: 10
Armor: 96/137 

Weapons      Loc Heat
Small Laser  RT  1
Autocannon/5 LA  1
SRM 4        RT  3

Ammo       Loc Shots
AC/5 Ammo  LT  20
SRM 4 Ammo RT  25
My condolences. This is a sentinel. It's another AC/5 mech, but with less armor than the hermes. A little more punch, but not by much, and you can't use both the AC/5 and SRM4 to full effect. You can't tank much, but you might be able to get in there, mix it up, and give them something to think about.

M4) CDA-3C Cicada PFC Stavros Andreou (Rhobot Mk. II)

pre:
Cicada CDA-3C
40 tons
Movement: 7/11
Heat Sinks: 11
Armor: 64/137 

Weapons     Loc Heat
Machine Gun LL  0
Machine Gun RL  0
PPC         RT  10

Ammo             Loc Shots
Machine Gun Ammo CT  200
Ok. Now we are talking. The Cicada is far from perfect. It can't take hits, but that's what the other three mediums are for. Your job is to use the:

Pee-Pee-loving-Cee: This is the biggest gun in your lance. A 10 damage hole punch can be huge in a lighter fight. Stay on the outskirts, keep your speed up, and support your buddies. It's going to be hard to get to 10 hexes moved on this map, but you should always be going 7 if at all possible. You have to worry about heat a tiny bit, but not too much. You've got 4 turns of firing and running before you need to pause for a turn to cool down in order not to take movement speed penalties. You don't want those. Speed is life, and with your gun and lack of armor, you need to stay alive as long as possible. Depending on the circumstances, running up 7 heat might be acceptable if you can still get 7 hexes on reduced (6/9) movement, but if you do that, you need to take a turn off firing the PPC the second you don't have a great shot. Don't go over 7 heat for any reason (this goes for everyone.)

Summary:

There's the first lance. Not perfect, but not too bad. The first three are your tanks for this fight, and the Cicada's your fragile cannon.

I've got class, or I'd go on to gushing over your light lance. You've got a great set of light mechs, and they're likely to be your real bruisers, apart from the Cicada.

Felime fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 16, 2012

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Felime posted:

Speed is life

This is the most important thing. Run fast, use cover liberally. Win.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I'd like players to take into account that the minimum ranges on PPCs and AC/5s really aren't that bad. It amazes me how many players are willing to take a PPC shot at 18 hexes with a +4 penalty who won't fire the PPC point-blank at +3.

For the Shadow Hawk, Hermes II, and Sentinel the sweet spot is 3 hexes. You'll be able to fire your Medium Laser and/or SRMs with no penalty and only a +1 penalty for the AC/5. For the Cicada, it's 6 hexes, the maximum range you can be at without having a to hit penalty at all on the PPC.

Speaking of the bug variant, I know your instinct might be to dump the MG ammo first thing, but I wouldn't be so quick to do so unless you're sure there's no hidden infantry on the board. As I mentioned before, having 8 player 'mechs vs. 6 OPFOR 'mechs seems too easy, even if the Arcturans do have a Guass Rifle in play.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Oh hey, I'm in now. :black101:

Haven't got a confirmation email yet, but I'm willing to play.

E: Can't find what the 2M variant on the hammer has. Anybody know?

Slaan fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 16, 2012

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Ferrosol posted:

:tinfoil:

Oh my God, I finally found out that that guy is supposed to be wearing a tinfoil hat. That totally does not look like tinfoil, it looks like Cool Whip. I always figured he was the Unhappy Cool Whip on My Head Smilie, and figured it was some stupid Internet meme that I never saw.

Say, can we finally see all the drawings of the new mechs? It looks like the vote is done, right? Or, at least close enough to see the awesome new kids.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I was expecting some lethal special rules to give PTN's mechs the edge. I mean, it might be that PTN's going to play to the very best of his ability with this round, but that doesn't seem to be quite enough on its own.

My guess is reinforcements, traps, and non-mech forces are going to be a major thing. The fluff described it as ambush country, after all.

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008

jng2058 posted:

Speaking of the bug variant, I know your instinct might be to dump the MG ammo first thing, but I wouldn't be so quick to do so unless you're sure there's no hidden infantry on the board. As I mentioned before, having 8 player 'mechs vs. 6 OPFOR 'mechs seems too easy, even if the Arcturans do have a Guass Rifle in play.

We've got a lance of mechs with very different talents , and walking around with a 200 damage bomb in my CT means that ammo is going out the chute turn one, if not before.

If I run into infantry, I'm running the gently caress away and going to call on my buddy Hermes II for :flame:. There's no way I'm hanging out within range 3 of -anything-.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Felime posted:

M1) SHD-2H Shadow Hawk Lieutenant S.G. Erasmus Chatzi (Sair)

pre:
55 tons
Movement: 5/8/3
Heat Sinks: 12
Internal: 91
Armor: 152/185 

Weapons      Loc Heat
Medium Laser RA 3
Autocannon/5 LT 1
LRM 5        RT 2
SRM 2        HD 2

Ammo       Loc Shots
AC/5 Ammo  LT  20
LRM 5 Ammo RT  24
SRM 2 Ammo CT  50
Sair, you lucky dog! You get to pilot a Shadow Hawk, possibly the best mech in the inner-sph- Ok. I can't say that with a straight face. The Shadow Hawk is an all-rounder, equally incompetent at all ranges. It has decent mobility, but mostly useless jump jets. In a fight like this, though, it's got some serious advantages, mainly from being heavier than a lot of the things on the battlefield. Let's go over your advantages:

Heat: You won't have to worry about it unless you start taking engine hits. With your abundant ammo supplies, you don't have to feel guilty about firing anything that can possibly hit.

Weapons: For a fight like this, you've got a halfway decent punch. I'd recommend getting in close so you can bring the medium laser and SRM2 into play. The AC/5 is actually fairly effective close in, unless you're right next to the enemy.

Armor: You've got a decent bit. You can take some hits that could cripple the lighter mechs without any trouble, mainly PPC hits.

At least you got a semi-decent Shadow Hawk. The SHD-2D drops 5 tons of armor for a ML and an SRM-2.

Use your tonnage. 11-point kicks can quickly cripple light 'mechs.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Rhobot Mk. II posted:

We've got a lance of mechs with very different talents , and walking around with a 200 damage bomb in my CT means that ammo is going out the chute turn one, if not before.

If I run into infantry, I'm running the gently caress away and going to call on my buddy Hermes II for :flame:. There's no way I'm hanging out within range 3 of -anything-.

You actually have a 400 damage bomb in your CT.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Rhobot Mk. II posted:

I get there's some risk, but aren't you at a point where the difference between a kill from your ammo cooking off and your center torso being straight out destroyed by damage really small? I know we have a ton of speed, but it seems like relying on one mech for all anti infantry work might bite us in the rear end.

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008

landcollector posted:

You actually have a 400 damage bomb in your CT.

:sigh:

I wonder if PTN will let me come onto the field with the ammo already dumped and -maybe- 2 rounds in the bin.

cafel posted:

I get there's some risk, but aren't you at a point where the difference between a kill from your ammo cooking off and your center torso being straight out destroyed by damage really small? I know we have a ton of speed, but it seems like relying on one mech for all anti infantry work might bite us in the rear end.

We're talking about a single TAC being able to vaporize my mech. A single crit roll to my CT has a number of outcomes, but none of them will result in instant death if I dump the ammo.

You're forgetting we have two lances coming into the engagement. Both the Hermes and Hermes II mount :flame:

Rhobot Mk. II fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 16, 2012

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Rhobot Mk. II posted:

:sigh:

I wonder if PTN will let me come onto the field with the ammo already dumped and -maybe- 2 rounds in the bin.

Normally I wouldn't do this, but you've got a field refit to something slightly less insane.

Felime posted:

STN-1S Sentinel
Sentinel STN-3L

My condolences. This is a sentinel. It's another AC/5 mech

No it isn't.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 16, 2012

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

No it isn't.

Awwwww yeah, got some Star League tech in the player force have we?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

The Sentinel actually has an ULTRA AC/5, ultra ULTRA UUUUULTRA.

And ptn has said the cicada is modified... maybe a heat sink and a flamer instead of the machine guns?

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Sorry about that. The mech list I had didn't have the 1S so I made it out of the 3L and forgot to change the name when I copied the list.

There's a canon STN-1S, the tech 1 Steiner prototype, which is what I put in there. If this is a refit, then it might be useful.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Sentinel

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Felime posted:

Sorry about that. The mech list I had didn't have the 1S so I made it out of the 3L and forgot to change the name when I copied the list.

There's a canon STN-1S, the tech 1 Steiner prototype, which is what I put in there. If this is a refit, then it might be useful.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Sentinel

:argh: don't confuse the poo poo outta me like that.

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010

Ferrosol posted:

nah the Concordat are the space :tinfoil: or the space texans or possibly both

Basically they believe the davions are always out to get them and are prepared to nuke the hell out of anyone who tries to take their JerbsPlanets

Yeah. I didn't know much about them other than the fact that they're a country founded on the principle of FUCKDAVIONS. Which is quite possibly the noblest principle to found a country upon.

Ain't nothin' wrong with being Space Texas, but I'm guessing it'd be handled about as well as Space Anything Else is.

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Normally I wouldn't do this, but you've got a field refit to something slightly less insane.

Thanks PTN! I tried to make the refit match the 'spirit' of the original, while keeping in mind how much time and money serious refit would require. I can actually see a tech performing this kind of a straight-forward hack-job.

Edit: Changed it after looking at Strategic Operations re-fit rules. This is now a Class B modification.

quote:

Cicada CDA-3C-F
40 tons
Movement: 7/11
Heat Sinks: 11
Armor: 64/137

Weapons Loc Heat
Small Laser LL 1
Small Laser RL 1
Medium Laser CT 3
PPC RT 10

Notes:

A hastily improvised refit for the venerable Cicada, this modification is a fairly simple job for a tech with limited field facilities. Swapping a pair of machine guns for a pair of small lasers with a similar size, weight, and combat profile, the modification immediately reduces the threat of internal ammunition explosions at the expense of an added heat burden.

This field expedient modification also makes use of the room in the Cicada's centre torso previously used for ammunition storage. By cutting away parts of the ammunition feeding system, enough room is made for an additional medium laser.

Andrevian posted:

Yeah. I didn't know much about them other than the fact that they're a country founded on the principle of FUCKDAVIONS. Which is quite possibly the noblest principle to found a country upon.

Ain't nothin' wrong with being Space Texas, but I'm guessing it'd be handled about as well as Space Anything Else is.

They're pretty :tinfoil: for a reason. Who can blame them for their paranoia, when someone -was- actively out to get them.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Tripitz_Affair

quote:

Ten days after Yin Takami assumed the mantle of Primus in 2979, Precentor ROM Karl Sims informed him and the rest of the First Circuit of a possible threat to the Order. In a routine survey of an empty star system near New Vandenburg, the Taurian Concordat had discovered a long abandoned Black Lion-Class battlecruiser, the SLS Tripitz, orbiting one of the planets. The ship was a battered relic left behind during the Amaris-Kerensky Civil War, but the Taurians believed they could recover the vessel and possibly even repair it.

Because the bitter fighting of Succession Wars had seen the loss of all Inner Sphere WarShips outside of ComStar's hidden fleet, the discovery of the Tripitz and even the slim possibility that it could enter active duty would upset the current balance of power in the region. Adding to the problem was indications that the Capellan Confederation's Maskirovka had also learned of the discovery and planned to stage their own recovery mission.

In response, Primus Takami ordered the 1st Division of the ComStar Guards and Militia to the star system with orders to destroy the Tripitz rather than risk it falling into the hands of either the Taurians or the Capellans. To disguise ComStar's complicity, the Primus ordered that the ships and fighters be painted white and given no identifying markings that might link them to the Order.:tinfoil: When the Taurians learned of an unknown JumpShip in the system, they immediately launched four Lances of AeroSpace Fighters, which the ComStar fighters quickly engaged. While the Taurians put up a determined fight, the advanced Star League-era equipment used by the Comstar forces more than made up for their lack of practical combat experience, especially against the low-technology aerospace fighters of the Taurians. The battle lasted just under an hour, with only three deaths in the ComStar forces. The Taurians sent several messages requesting that the mysterious white attackers identify themselves, but the ComStar commander ignored the attempts at communication. He quickly recovered the dead pilots and turned his attention to the battlecruiser.

The remaining fighters strafed and bombed the antique Tripitz, blasting the ship until it was no more than a charred hulk in a decaying orbit. After recharging their JumpShip, the ComStar Guards departed the isolated system, leaving only the Taurian recovery crew as witnesses to the entire event.

Rhobot Mk. II fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 16, 2012

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Andrevian posted:

One thing they do have going for them is that they have the best low level education system in the galaxy. In one of the source books it says something that 99.9% of the Taurian population have a secondary level education. So they are not actually idiots apart from the whole :tinfoil: thing.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Awww yeah, it's Shadow Hawk time.

LeschNyhan posted:

I'm pretty much always on IRC.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

I'd kinda prefer google docs or PM. My schedule is kinda variable, so it would be hard for me to pick a time of day I could always communicate in real time.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Sair posted:

Awww yeah, it's Shadow Hawk time.

I'm pretty much always on IRC.

Whats the IRC then?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Slaan posted:

Whats the IRC then?

#megamek on SynIRC

Sair
May 11, 2007

I'm not insisting on IRC or anything, its just you will find me there. Google docs or something would be fine too.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Rhobot Mk. II posted:

Thanks PTN! I tried to make the refit match the 'spirit' of the original, while keeping in mind how much time and money serious refit would require. I can actually see a tech performing this kind of a straight-forward hack-job.

Edit: Changed it after looking at Strategic Operations re-fit rules. This is now a Class B modification.

Wow, that thing is going to run super hot. Doesn't the stock Cicada actually have medium lasers in the arms and a small laser in the torso, so it would be designed to have energy weapons fitted like that? Probably two medium lasers is more thematic but the heat burden would be intolerable.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Wow, that thing is going to run super hot. Doesn't the stock Cicada actually have medium lasers in the arms and a small laser in the torso, so it would be designed to have energy weapons fitted like that? Probably two medium lasers is more thematic but the heat burden would be intolerable.

Not that hot. It's heat neutral when firing just the PPC and running, and you're not firing small lasers THAT often with their short range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

It'll run super hot if I elect to alpha, for sure. However, If I opt to fire either the PPC or the lasers only, it'll be fine.

I'd like to swap the weapons in the configuration you suggest as with the stock Cicada but there are specific rules for field refits, which is outlined in a book called Strategic Operations.

For a Class A field refit that requires no repair facilities, you can only swap similar class weapons, with the same number of crits and tonnage, in the same slots. (IE Medium Laser for ER medium laser.)

For a Class B refit, you can swap weapon classes with the same number of crits/tons, in the same critical slots, which is what I did.

In order to fit weapons into new slots, add heatsinks (like I originally wanted to do), or change armor allocation, you'd need a Class C refit, which requires a mech gantry or a maintenance facility. That's not a field refit, which is what PTN gave me.

PTN is throwing me a huge bone, so I'm sticking to the rules for a field refit, and keeping it nice and fluffy. That means I have 3 critical slots to work with, and two tons of weight. Keeping the small lasers keeps it thematic in that it keeps the original weapons profile, the medium laser is an afterthought because I can't throw in another heat sink.

I'll cook, but it's the only refit that makes sense other than using flamers. I considered slotting them in, but we already have two mechs with flamers, and I don't think they'd be any more useful to the team. Giving the Cicada a close-in capacity in case someone gets in under my minimum range with the PPC with a damage output similar to the PPC makes the configuration a logical choice.

• Locked thread