Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
FR-S:

BRZ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
All these years and they never loctite the shift knobs.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Sockington posted:

All these years and they never loctite the shift knobs.

They never put them on, which was kind of annoying. Other cars had them

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Cat Terrist posted:

ROMRaider ram raiders :words:
This must be a distinctly Australian crime, because where I live the only incident of ram raiding I can think of is some guys stealing a Ford Excursion (Expedition? Whatever the bigger one is) and trying to drive it through the front window of a liquor store, only to be t-boned by someone running a red light and getting shoved onto the concrete bollards outside the bank next door.

I only remember it because for some reason one of the criminals decided to bring his dog along for the heist, and the dog took off running down a downtown street as soon as the door was opened. Truck was pretty much totalled; I'm surprised there wasn't engine intrusion into the cab because the bollard tore right through the front end.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Nodoze posted:

FR-S: vs BRZ

Wow the BRZ interior is way nicer.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Blaise posted:

Wow the BRZ interior is way nicer.

Huh, I was just thinking that the Scion was pretty nice other than the awful head unit. I like the gray tach. I think having the lights on doesn't help.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Both of them are surprisingly ugly. They look like something out of the 80s.

Rawrl
Mar 30, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

They look like something out of the 80s.

How is this a bad thing? :colbert:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Edit:/\/\ drat you

Internet Explorer posted:

They look like something out of the 80s.

So perfect? :allears:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
More like timeless.

When I think 80s interior, I think this:

Actually, something about the clunkiness of that FRS radio headunit actulaly does look very 80s to me. Something about how the buttons are shaped and molded or something

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 16, 2012

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

The double-DIN size and tiny display are 80s as hell. The clock doesn't help matters at all.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Seriously that Scion head unit looks like it was pulled of a late 90's Pontiac.
Goddamn it Pioneer, that's the best bid you had?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

PeterWeller posted:

The double-DIN size and tiny display are 80s as hell. The clock doesn't help matters at all.

That volume knob with the big smooth grip ridges looks like classic cheap 80s plastic parts, as do the rest of the giant, rounded buttons that wouldn't look out of place on a Tiger toy. Honestly, if they had messed with the details and layout a bit, it would look way more contemporary, but the ugly controls combined with the fact that it has a giant soft-beveled bezel that actually sticks out of the DIN slot instead of sitting flush looks pretty awful. Do flat plastic clicky buttons really cost that much more?

I don't quite get the complaints about the clock, though. Last I checked, digital clocks weren't exactly dated, and they take up less space on the dash than an analog dial would.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 16, 2012

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Scions wants you to buy an upgraded radio. They picked that radio to be the worst possible. It would still be the best radio I had ever purchased new.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

PeterWeller posted:

I am pretty sure Toyota ordered about 15,000,000,000 of those clocks in like 1982 and is just installing them out of stock.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Elephanthead posted:

Scions wants you to buy an upgraded radio. They picked that radio to be the worst possible. It would still be the best radio I had ever purchased new.

That thing looks like it would jam a cd the third time you try to use it.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
I do really prefer the double din format. It's nice to have the upgradeability. I have a Clarion CX609 in my WRX and it does a fantastic job of working with my ipod/iphone/bluetooth/etc, and I bet it's been replaced by something nicer. Even the display is adjustable to match your factory backlighting.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Seems a bit weird to downplay it like that. First, we have to accept that drifting on public streets is dangerous legally and physically. Next, if we assume that people are going to be trying to drift (from no prior experience/skill), what makes this car so bad?
While there's tons of RWD cars that have huge horsepower that'll let you easily break the rear, I don't see that as an automatic leg up on making those cars better drift tools. If the 86 will have the precision in steering feedback and throttle that people say it does, then it should certainly be no worse.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Doesn't seem that far off from what Toyota was saying before, that it'll reward skilled driving* and to get the most out of it you have to know what you're doing.

*I assume the opposite is true and it will punish poor driving, particulary when kids turn off traction control and try drifting for the first time.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Who cares about stupid drift anyway? Shouldn't that whole thing have gone away like 5 years ago?

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

kimbo305 posted:

what makes this car so bad?

Probably the lack of torque and short wheelbase. Trying to drift a stock Miata is pretty drat hard for those reasons.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Seat Safety Switch posted:

This must be a distinctly Australian crime,
It is/was hugely popular in the UK. That's why half the stores these days have huge bollards near the doors/windows to stop ram raiders.

mattmofob
May 2, 2005

DUCK

oRenj9 posted:

Probably the lack of torque and short wheelbase. Trying to drift a stock Miata is pretty drat hard for those reasons.

It doesn't have a short wheelbase.
Miata wheelbase 89
240sx wheelbase 94
Brz wheelbase 101

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

oRenj9 posted:

Trying to drift a stock Miata is pretty drat hard for those reasons.

Actually the real problem is the differential. If you have a good mechanical diff you can drift drat near anything. Still need to break the back end away but it's more than do-able. Hell Mr Drift King has a vid out with a basically stock Sprinter but with a plated diff and it drifts like a champion.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I'm no drifting expert, but if real drifting is anything like R/C drifting, then all they need to do is switch tire compounds to something low-traction like PVC pipes.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I am pretty sure Toyota ordered about 15,000,000,000 of those clocks in like 1982 and is just installing them out of stock.

I hope they keep using them forever

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Nodoze posted:

Nah I look forward to one day spending 15 minutes sitting in an empty car (in park since we don't trust you or your passenger to use a touch screen while driving) all leaned over to one side awkwardly swiping through multiple layers of menus using my multimedia interface navigational touchscreen until finally giving up and leaving it off by 20 minutes and three time zones. Futuristic!

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 17, 2012

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Blaise posted:

Who cares about stupid drift anyway? Shouldn't that whole thing have gone away like 5 years ago?

hey guys why do people still do this thing i dont like?

to be fair though I think drifting in its current form as a competitive sport is loving stupid.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Cream_Filling posted:

I'm no drifting expert, but if real drifting is anything like R/C drifting, then all they need to do is switch tire compounds to something low-traction like PVC pipes.
Just use some space saver spares :v:

GETCHA PAPER UP
Apr 17, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cakefool posted:

Sup? What colors have you seen it in - seen the lovely bronze yet?

Only a dark grey so far. Looked good though. The interior has some really dumb color accent panels at the moment. Hopefully they go away.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
formula d is actually pretty entertaining and they put a lot of work into those cars. And I'm one of the last people who would ever say anything nice about drifting.

plus these are really entertaining:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4IKCEuCxJ0

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Reports are coming in from the First 86 that their cars are in country. This is a few days earlier than the April 20th port date for the BRZ, as I assume that they were on the same boat.

They mentioned May 18th as the last day that Scion would like before the First 86 cars are sold. So look for the BRZ to drop in the same time frame.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Here's hoping for the 16th of May instead.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

GETCHA PAPER UP posted:

Only a dark grey so far. Looked good though. The interior has some really dumb color accent panels at the moment. Hopefully they go away.

If you're talking about the multi-material vent accents I think they're here to stay. Hilarity for us was the white hybrid on 15"s with landrover style wheel gaps.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Couple more of the FR-S

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Nodoze posted:

Analogue clocks need to come back. I never fitted a computer to my E30 because it would have meant losing the clock.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
So I was dicking around with the IIHS insurance loss statistics and found this:
pre:
Highest losses: All coverages 	Size/class 	 		Relative Loss (avg=100)
Scion tC 			Small two-door models 		161
Mercedes Benz S class 4dr LWB 	Very large luxury models 	160
Mitsubishi Lancer 		Small four-door models 		158
Chevrolet Cobalt 		Small two-door models 		141
Suzuki SX4 			Small four-door models 		141
Dodge Charger 			Large four-door models 		139
Mitsubishi Eclipse 		Midsize two-door models 	137
Cadillac Escalade ESV 4dr 4WD 	Very large luxury SUVs 		134
Cadillac Escalade 4dr 4WD 	Large luxury SUVs 		134
Chevrolet Aveo 			Mini four-door models 		133
Apparently the Scion tC has the highest overall insurance losses of any car with sufficient data. In the breakdown, it's also top 10 for personal injury losses, medical payments, and bodily injury liability. It's also top in its class of "small two-door models", with significantly worse collision and property damage losses than the runner-up Civics or Cobalts.

Prepare for wave of destruction once the first Scion FR-Ss start going out.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 18, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

That methodology is really transparent.

gently caress studies like that.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Why is the Miata in the Mini Sports Models class but the Saturn Sky is in the Small Sports Models class? I know the Sky/Solstice weigh a good bit more than the Miata, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Dick Burglar posted:

Why is the Miata in the Mini Sports Models class but the Saturn Sky is in the Small Sports Models class? I know the Sky/Solstice weigh a good bit more than the Miata, but still.

They probably rate based on size/weight rather than performance.

It's not Motortrend.

• Locked thread